*I Drive Slow On Freeways 55 MPH*

Many states have minimum speed limit laws, most are if you are driving more than 10 mph under the speed limit, you can get a ticket.

6. I would love to drive 55mph on the Autobahn.
7. Would that be legal there?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Wish I could be there!

rear-end-car-collision2.jpg

That doesn't look like a german autobahn.
Moreover, on a german autobahn it would be unlikely for a Porsche to get hit in the rear.

Porsches have brakes, do they not? They're capable of being parked, are they not?

Anyway this isn't a Porsche -- it's a Pontiac (hard to tell I know) and the scene is not Germany but West Virginia on I-79. A simple back-search on the photo ID returned the page it came from.

Last edited:
Wish I could be there!

rear-end-car-collision2.jpg

Moreover, on a german autobahn it would be unlikely for a Porsche to get hit in the rear.

Porsches have brakes, do they not? They're capable of being parked, are they not?

Anyway this isn't a Porsche -- it's a Pontiac (hard to tell I know) and the scene is not Germany but West Virginia on I-79. A simple back-search on the photo ID returned the page it came from.

As I said, it's unlikely for a Porsche to get hit in the rear on the autobahn.

We don't have Pontiacs.

I apologize for not having had a closer look on the picture. I am chrinching inside for confusing this with a Porsche.
I will do penance by shuffling ten times around the temple below on my knees.
27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

We don't have Pontiacs.

I apologize for not having had a closer look on the picture. I am chrinching inside for confusing this with a Porsche.
27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

:rofl:

We don't have Pontiacs.

27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

Not at all, I would have had no idea what the car had been without the source page. There's not much left to tell.

I'd be more concerned with your logic that "it's unlikely for a Porsche to get hit in the rear". Do the laws of physics not apply to Porsches?

No, I don't mean in the owner's opinion... :rofl:

We don't have Pontiacs.

27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

Not at all, I would have had no idea what the car had been without the source page. There's not much left to tell.

I'd be more concerned with your logic that "it's unlikely for a Porsche to get hit in the rear". Do the laws of physics not apply to Porsches?

I believe it means that Porsches are, by and far, the fastest cars on the Deutsche Autobahn, which means that most likely, if a porsch is involved in an accident, it would be the front side of the porsch with the back side of a slower moving vehicle.

:D

You just have not lived until you've been in a Porsche on the A3 with the driver going 270 KMH. I lived through that once, but thought my heart was about to exit out of my body...

No, you are not doing the speed limit.
Congress repealed the 55 mph in 1995.
Average speed limit on freeways is 65 to 70mph.
Going to slow at 55 can also get you a ticket for endangering others.

What they repealed is the limit, not the minimum. It's not illegal to go 55MPH on a highway with a 70MPH limit, but it's annoying. Most highways have a minimum required speed of 40MPH.

Many are 45, some are 55.

You do realize that the maximum posted speed limit applies to the fast lane, right?

The sign "slower traffic keep right" means less than the posted maximum.

No. It does not. It means slower relative to other traffic. Even if everybody's going over the limit it means slower than others. It means when you pass you do so on the left.

It has to mean that by definition -- think about highways with more than two lanes.
No, it does not.

Read your drivers handbook.

No cop will tell you that it is okay to speed, and no law in this land says that you will be fined for doing the limit.

If everyone is obeying the law, and everyone is traveling at 65 mph, there will never be an occasion for anyone to ever pass anyone.

However, if one person is driving at 60 mph, then those who are driving at 65 will have a lane available for them to to pass.

Those not traveling the maximum posted limit are required to move to the right so those who make the choice to travel slower than the posted limit, will not impede those who do chose to drive the maximum.

At no time is anyone permitted to exceed the maximum.

Now, for a little reality.

I have tested this and these numbers are indicative of the research I did on this topic.

If you travel at 5 mph (70 mph) over the posted maximum , you will be passed on average, by 85% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass less than 1% of them.

If you travel at 10 mph (75 mph) over the posted limit, you will be passed by an estimated 50% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass no more than 30% of them.

If you travel at 15 mph (80 mph) over the posted limit, you will be passed by less than 1% of the people traveling this highway, and will pass 70+% of the people you encounter.

Only at 20 mph over the limit will you find that you are passed by one or two people and the rest will be below your posted speed.

The sane person will conclude that people are driving way to fucking fast given the posted limits on our highways.

Why do I say that? Do any of you know what the rated safety margin of your normal, everyday passenger tire is with regards to speed?

Dramatically higher than any highway speed. The tires on my Dakota are rated for 112MPH. The tires on my Caddy are rated for 149. Even the tires on my wife's Blazer are good for 99.

We don't have Pontiacs.

27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

I believe it means that Porsches are, by and far, the fastest cars on the Deutsche Autobahn, which means that most likely, if a porsch is involved in an accident, it would be the front side of the porsch with the back side of a slower moving vehicle.

I got that meaning - it still doesn't make sense. The car in this picture wasn't hit by something going slightly or moderately faster (actually it was a dump truck but the page doesn't know how it happened). Had this been a rear-ender with another car, the other car would have had to be going I dunno, 300 mph. Not even a Porsche is gonna do that. But more fundamentally it ignores that any car, including a Porsche, could be stationary -- pulled over, stalled, parked, whatever. Which is what this looks like.

You just have not lived until you've been in a Porsche on the A3 with the driver going 270 KMH. I lived through that once, but thought my heart was about to exit out of my body...

More importantly, you just have not died. :lol:

Unless you're really really really really really really really really really really late for the airport, I just don't see the point of it. What do you get -- 200 feet per gallon?

Let Me dumb it down as far as it can go.

If I am driving the posted maximum, lets say it is the standard 65 mph on an interstate highway...

And you are driving 100 mph on the same stretch of highway and are approaching Me from the rear...

I would be a fool not to get over out of self preservation, however; I am not required to get over by law as I am driving the posted maximum.

The speeder is ALWAYS in the wrong.

Always.

No, YOU ARE WRONG! You MUST, REPEAT MUST move over for faster traffic, even if you are at or over the posted speed limit! In many states (including Kali), the law is explicit.

Left-lane bandits should get jail time.

Sorry bout that,

Why? You want only illiterates on the road? We almost have that now.

>> An adjective is in the comparative form when it expresses comparison between two or between one and a number taken collectively, as, “John is richer than James;" “he is richer than all the men in Boston.” << -- parts of speech

Doesn't say a damn word about what the speed limit is. :cuckoo:
Why? Because in

a game of comprehensive analysis, when speaking of limits imposed, relative speeds matter only in as much as everyone is operating from the same set of principles.

And you need to take a lesson in logic. If A = B and B = C, then !A = !C?

Never mind...We are talking the same thing but you have a bug up your ass and you don't even realize it.

I'm done with this.

Obey the fucking speed limit and save lives.

1. Sure he is a truck driver its a known fact *all* truck drivers have a bug up their asses.
2. They get one assigned to them as soon as they get their CDL.
3. The same day even.
4. Okay here is your bug, you know where to put it?
5. Truck Driver,...*yup*....:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Dude, seriously...are you on LSD?!

We don't have Pontiacs.

27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

I identified it as a 4th-generation Firebird instantly...the odd-shaped door windows are distinctive.

I got that meaning - it still doesn't make sense. The car in this picture wasn't hit by something going slightly or moderately faster (actually it was a dump truck but the page doesn't know how it happened). Had this been a rear-ender with another car, the other car would have had to be going I dunno, 300 mph. Not even a Porsche is gonna do that. But more fundamentally it ignores that any car, including a Porsche, could be stationary -- pulled over, stalled, parked, whatever. Which is what this looks like.

More importantly, you just have not died. :lol:

Unless you're really really really really really really really really really really late for the airport, I just don't see the point of it. What do you get -- 200 feet per gallon?

:rofl:

It's a long story, one for Christmas time... here's the code word:

Tecklenburg

Remember that, hit me up about the story in say, November....

*grin*

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

Why? Because in

a game of comprehensive analysis, when speaking of limits imposed, relative speeds matter only in as much as everyone is operating from the same set of principles.

And you need to take a lesson in logic. If A = B and B = C, then !A = !C?

Never mind...We are talking the same thing but you have a bug up your ass and you don't even realize it.

I'm done with this.

Obey the fucking speed limit and save lives.

1. Sure he is a truck driver its a known fact *all* truck drivers have a bug up their asses.
2. They get one assigned to them as soon as they get their CDL.
3. The same day even.
4. Okay here is your bug, you know where to put it?
5. Truck Driver,...*yup*....:badgrin:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Dude, seriously...are you on LSD?!

1. Dude ask Tracy how he feels about truck drivers now?
2. You just are too stupid to understand, I get *that*.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

We don't have Pontiacs.

27_05_2008_15_24_40.jpg

I identified it as a 4th-generation Firebird instantly...the odd-shaped door windows are distinctive.

1. Looks like a Camaro to me, like a 1996.

Regards,
SirJAmesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

1. So here I go, tooling along the freeway in my 1900's Toyota van, in the slow lane just rocking and a rolling along listening to some tunes going down the freeway at my usual legal speed, 55 MPH legal coast to coast, in the far right lane doing my thang,...
2. But you know what?
3. Speeding drivers ride up in my ass, then slow down to hug my bumper then they blow by me yelling shit, some times honking, even big rigs, they honk me, pulling their fucking hair out and cut me off, to take back my slow lane, like I give a fuck!
4. The other lanes are open to them, usually, but they fly up to me in the slow lane, I watch these morons as they approach, wondering if this jackass will ram me, and if they do they
going to get a surprise too.
5. They complain when people do 55 MPH, in the fast lane, and complain if I go 55 mph in the slow lane, fuck all you dumb bastards in a hurry to die on the freeways!:badgrin:
6. Your turn go, explain why I should be speeding like these crazy bastards?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I drive about 10 over on highways.
I never bumper pressure in the mid or right lane
I will bumper pressure in the left lane (in fact I enjoy that)
I will pass on the right when slow(er) left hand drivers refuse to move over in a reasonable time (defined by me)
Occasionally folks decide to brake check me, but my brakes are always better and this typically opens the right for passing, which many folks find infuriating

I've never been in an accident
I typically get about one ticket per year (for speed) and just think of it as a minor tax on my driving style.

Last edited:
What the hell is "bumper pressure"? :dunno:

I dunno but anybody who uses the right lane to pass should be burned alive and their ashes put in a rocket and shot into the sun. Clearly you've never been a truck driver.

Last edited:
What the hell is "bumper pressure"? :dunno:

I dunno but anybody who uses the right lane to pass should be burned alive and their ashes put in a rocket and shot into the sun. Clearly you've never been a truck driver.

Bumper pressure is when the impatient Ricky Racer comes up on someone going slower than them in the fast/passing lane and rides their bumper in an attempt to get them to speed up or move right.
As for passing in the right lane some drivers make it a necessity, the ones I call, "I pay my taxes and I'll drive what speed I choose in the lane I choose" and refuse to move into the right lane. Ya have to get around them somehow. Thankfully they'll eventually get a ticket because in most states the left lane is now a passing lane only.

Forum List

Back