How to "Make America Great Again"

• Confuse a basic fact about the deal with Iran by refusing to pay Iran $150 billion because you don't understand that it is Iran's money. But nonetheless bluster that you would demand the Iranians do exactly what you want them to do or you'd walk out, and say that would force Iran to do exactly what you want. Coincidentally, and without a shred of irony, get into a dispute with Fox News over a debate in Iowa. Demand that Fox News do exactly what you want (remove Megyn Kelly as a moderator), or you'll walk out. And when Fox News refuses to do exactly what you want, you walk out. But Fox News ignores you and goes ahead with the debate anyways. Then, lose the Iowa caucus.
Donald Trump’s Iran idiocy: The interview that should have ended his candidacy once and for all

Last edited:

If some MegaCorp wants to sell its goods and services in the US, but offshore the jobs and taxes, the can go fuck themselves.

He's the only one with the courage to say what everyone is thinking.

Or, we can lower corporate taxes.

Remember when you tea party types were for lower taxes?

I bet you don't!

That is exactly what Trump is proposing. Cutting individual and corporate tax rates.

"Under the Trump plan, America will compete with the world and win by cutting the corporate tax rate to 15%, taking our rate from one of the worst to one of the best."
Tax Reform

You really should do some basic research before you post.

Last edited:

If some MegaCorp wants to sell its goods and services in the US, but offshore the jobs and taxes, the can go fuck themselves.

I bet you don't!

That is exactly what Trump is proposing. Cutting individual and corporate tax rates.

"Under the Trump plan, America will compete with the world and win by cutting the corporate tax rate to 15%, taking our rate from one of the worst to one of the best."
Tax Reform

What do you think a tariff is?

I bet you don't!

Tax Reform

What do you think a tariff is?

I know exactly what they are. We are not talking about tariffs, we are talking about corporate tax inversions.

Do tariffs have a place in an effective trade policy?

Do tariffs have a place in an effective trade policy?

No.

And anyone who claims to be a libertarian doesn't support tariffs.

Tariffs are taxes that raises the cost of goods and create deadweight losses in the economy. They are one of the worst taxes in economics.

We've applied import tariffs on various products for our entire existence as a nation. We face tariffs to American imports all over the world. Tariffs and duties are endemic to international trade. Only a ideologue believes in absolute free trade, it is a fantasy that doesn't exist in the real world.

I am in favor of FREE and FAIR trade. I favor trade policies that protect and advance American interests. When exporters receive illegal export subsidies from their government (like in China), they need to be punished. When nations ignore trade rules established by the WTO (like China) we need to punish them. One of the most effective methods is a tariff.

Do you think that losing 50,000 factories and millions of jobs since China joined the WTO is a good thing? I don't. Time for common sense. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight....

We've applied import tariffs on various products for our entire existence as a nation. We face tariffs to American imports all over the world. Tariffs and duties are endemic to international trade. Only a ideologue believes in absolute free trade, it is a fantasy that doesn't exist in the real world.

I am in favor of FREE and FAIR trade. I favor trade policies that protect and advance American interests. When exporters receive illegal export subsidies from their government (like in China), they need to be punished. When nations ignore trade rules established by the WTO (like China) we need to punish them. One of the most effective methods is a tariff.

Do you think that losing 50,000 factories and millions of jobs since China joined the WTO is a good thing? I don't. Time for common sense. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight....

"Fair trade" is the siren call of the left and the statists, not anyone who can say they believe in individual liberty. Around the world, leftists have been using "fair trade" in lieu of free trade for decades because they've lost the intellectual argument but still want to use government power to interfere in the economy. Using tariffs to support a specific industry is no different than Obama raising your taxes to support solar power or whatever pet project the left wants. The economic effect is exactly the same. The only difference are the political labels that people conveniently use to make themselves feel good.

Tariffs all around the world have been coming down for decades. At the end of WWII, the average tariff was 40%. Today it's 5%. That is because of the GATT and WTO. Most goods - American goods - go across borders tariff-free.

The argument with China is NOT that they have high tariffs on our goods. The argument is that they have pegged their currency to ours when they should have allowed it to appreciate, making it cheaper to build over there than it should have been. That may have been true 10 years ago, but it's not true today. Today, China is in serious trouble, and HAS to devalue its currency. The Chinese currency is over-valued. The stock market has been plummeting over the past several months in part because of what's going on in China. It would be absolutely insane to slap a 45% tariff on China today. It would drive our economy into recession, if it's not going there anyways.

Mercantilism - which is what you support, whether you know it or not - has long been discredited in economics. It is what third world basket cases have resorted to. And now, the nativist right in America are wishing to copy them.

• Confuse a basic fact about the deal with Iran by refusing to pay Iran $150 billion because you don't understand that it is Iran's money. But nonetheless bluster that you would demand the Iranians do exactly what you want them to do or you'd walk out, and say that would force Iran to do exactly what you want. Coincidentally, and without a shred of irony, get into a dispute with Fox News over a debate in Iowa. Demand that Fox News do exactly what you want (remove Megyn Kelly as a moderator), or you'll walk out. And when Fox News refuses to do exactly what you want, you walk out. But Fox News ignores you and goes ahead with the debate anyways. Then, lose the Iowa caucus.
Donald Trump’s Iran idiocy: The interview that should have ended his candidacy once and for all
I am actually becoming frightened.

"Fair trade" is the siren call of the left and the statists, not anyone who can say they believe in individual liberty. Around the world, leftists have been using "fair trade" in lieu of free trade for decades because they've lost the intellectual argument but still want to use government power to interfere in the economy. Using tariffs to support a specific industry is no different than Obama raising your taxes to support solar power or whatever pet project the left wants. The economic effect is exactly the same. The only difference are the political labels that people conveniently use to make themselves feel good.

Tariffs all around the world have been coming down for decades. At the end of WWII, the average tariff was 40%. Today it's 5%. That is because of the GATT and WTO. Most goods - American goods - go across borders tariff-free.

The argument with China is NOT that they have high tariffs on our goods. The argument is that they have pegged their currency to ours when they should have allowed it to appreciate, making it cheaper to build over there than it should have been. That may have been true 10 years ago, but it's not true today. Today, China is in serious trouble, and HAS to devalue its currency. The Chinese currency is over-valued. The stock market has been plummeting over the past several months in part because of what's going on in China. It would be absolutely insane to slap a 45% tariff on China today. It would drive our economy into recession, if it's not going there anyways.

Mercantilism - which is what you support, whether you know it or not - has long been discredited in economics. It is what third world basket cases have resorted to. And now, the nativist right in America are wishing to copy them.

Yeah but you don't bring a knife to a gunfight...whatever that means.

You also don't pick a fight with the guy who owns your debt and has your consumers hooked on $5 toasters, $3 headphones, and $199 Smartphones.

I don't want Fair Trade, I want unfair trade. Trade where the USA gets the long end of the stick, not the short end.

I don't want Fair Trade, I want unfair trade. Trade where the USA gets the long end of the stick, not the short end.

And I want to buy a $10,000,000 home in Beverley Hills for $1,000,000. We can all wish for unrealistic things.

Trade is not a zero sum game. It's not a battle. This is what leftists and other statists with little understanding of economics have long thought. Opponents of capitalism think like this.

What you are asking for is to use government power to favor one group over another.

Last edited:

And I want to buy a $10,000,000 home in Beverley Hills for $1,000,000. We can all wish for unrealistic things.

Trade is not a zero sum game. It's not a battle. This is what leftists and other statists with little understanding of economics have long thought. Opponents of capitalism think like this.

What you are asking for is to use government power to favor one group over another.

Not even close bub.

You don't like Trump, I get it.

Stop trying to misstate my position.

Isn't the reason we have a Trade deficit due to the oil imports? I dunno? Believe I read this somewhere? So it is not necessarily that we export less merchandise for the deficit??

Not even close bub.

You don't like Trump, I get it.

Stop trying to misstate my position.

So do you support Trump's tariff position or not?

If you are, you are supporting mercantilism and government intervention in the economy to favor specific groups over others, no different than other statists, and completely contrary to libertarianism.

That you don't understand this basic truism of economics isn't my problem.

Isn't the reason we have a Trade deficit due to the oil imports? I dunno? Believe I read this somewhere? So it is not necessarily that we export less merchandise for the deficit??

A trade deficit means means we have a capital surplus, i.e. we have more foreigners investing in America than Americans investing abroad.

That's a fact, Jack.

Or Jacquelyn.

A trade deficit means means we have a capital surplus, i.e. we have more foreigners investing in America than Americans investing abroad.

That's a fact, Jack.

Or Jacquelyn.
uhhh, ok.... but why so snotty? :eek:

I was curious to the answer to my question...was your comment an answer... and I just don't understand your response, as the answer to my question?

That's a fact, Jack.

Or Jacquelyn.
uhhh, ok.... but why so snotty? :eek:

I was curious to the answer to my question...was your comment an answer... and I just don't understand your response, as the answer to my question?

It was merely a statement, nothing more.

No offense was intended.

I believe we run a trade deficit even without oil, but it is much smaller.

Forum List

Back