How many here are better off than they were 10 years ago?

Hahahaha! I like how neither of you answered the question. It was a question seeking subjective responses... I guess that makes it a stupid thread. After all, it doesn't allow you to complain about how SOOOO many people are being screwed over these days. Thank goodness you were able to able to respond and liberally use the word crisis though!

:eusa_hand:
i like how you assume i don't consider the planet and the rest of it's inhabitants when i determine how well off i am.

sorry us atheists actually care about others...

this is still a stupid thread.

for real. we need a weekly award for stupid threads and stupid posts.

:eusa_hand:
i like how you assume i don't consider the planet and the rest of it's inhabitants when i determine how well off i am.

sorry us atheists actually care about others...

Uh... the question is asking about how many individuals here are better off than 10 years ago. You didn't answer the question. Instead, you insist that it's the wrong question to ask!

Humankind does face problems, as do individuals. But problems are solved all the time, and new ones emerge. The original question was directed to the individuals here, to determine how those individuals are dealing with society's problems (at a micro level). The question was whether the progress made over the last 10 years has improved individuals' lives.

I don't think that was a stupid question to ask - but it DEFINITELY has spawned some VERY stupid responses.

I find it amusing that people are mad that people are doing better.

Of course, it flies in the face of their mantra. "America is bad, we're doing worse than we were before, everything is going to pot...."

I find it amusing that people are mad that people are doing better.Of course, it flies in the face of their mantra. "America is bad, we're doing worse than we were before, everything is going to pot...."

i find it amusing that you make shit up.

wtf r u talking about?

i reread the whole thread...where did you come up with people being angry about others doing better? :rolleyes:

I dont think anyone is "mad".

I think they are commenting on how a self-absorbed a particular sample of this messageboard community seems to be when assuming that their personal experience is reflective of a general American experience.

regardless, carry on.

Uh... the question is asking about how many individuals here are better off than 10 years ago. You didn't answer the question. Instead, you insist that it's the wrong question to ask!

hello. I am not better off. again sorry but concern for my fellow and future humans makes me feel pretty crappy. whilst ten years ago things looked rosy.

"Humankind does face problems, as do individuals. But problems are solved all the time, and new ones emerge. The original question was directed to the individuals here, to determine how those individuals are dealing with society's problems (at a micro level). The question was whether the progress made over the last 10 years has improved individuals' lives."

claritan and cell phones are not solving the worlds problems buddy.

"I don't think that was a stupid question to ask - but it DEFINITELY has spawned some VERY stupid responses."

um..you mean about the cell phones and clariton saving mankind..i agree.

i find it amusing that you make shit up.

wtf r u talking about?

i reread the whole thread...where did you come up with people being angry about others doing better? :rolleyes:

Every one of your posts come off as at best, petulant. At worst, angry. It pisses you off that people think they're better off, and it's obvious.

Got data?

85% of us know we are better off now than 10 years ago....

the A group......half of us will truthfully admit to that fact with no problem.....

the B group?......some of the others will reluctantly admit it too....

the C group...... the 15%....honestly will say they are not ...for various reasons....usually because of nothing the government has direct control over
sickness, lost job, car accident, etc....

Every one of your posts come off as at best, petulant. At worst, angry. It pisses you off that people think they're better off, and it's obvious.

allie, let's not lather on the irony, eh?

hello. I am not better off. again sorry but concern for my fellow and future humans makes me feel pretty crappy. whilst ten years ago things looked rosy.

"Humankind does face problems, as do individuals. But problems are solved all the time, and new ones emerge. The original question was directed to the individuals here, to determine how those individuals are dealing with society's problems (at a micro level). The question was whether the progress made over the last 10 years has improved individuals' lives."

claritan and cell phones are not solving the worlds problems buddy.

"I don't think that was a stupid question to ask - but it DEFINITELY has spawned some VERY stupid responses."

um..you mean about the cell phones and clariton saving mankind..i agree.

So you personally are worse off because the world's problems cause you immense guilt? A guilt so powerful that it trumps any improvements in your personal well-being?

Your profile says your interests include beer. If your guilt/compassion for mankind's problems are SOOOO overwhelming, then why are you spending your disposable income on alcohol? Couldn't that money be used to help solve some of the problems that are causing you SUCH unhappyness? If those problems were really impacting you that much, I'd think your own interests would have to take a back seat to alleviate SOME of that horrible "feeling crappy"ness!

I never said cell phones and medicine were solving huge problems - but they are modern-day conveniences that have improved the lives of individuals. Which was the question the OP asked!!

Also, what happened between 1998 and today that caused your world outlook to take a turn for the bleak? There were problems then too. Global warming? The world was warmer then than it is now, and we were knee-deep in alarmism then too. We also had the impending catastrophe of the Y2K bug, that would bring the economy to a standstill. Iraq? I seem to recall President Clinton ordering air strikes in Iraq after Saddam refused the UN weapons inspectors (a few days before he was impeached). A couple US embassies in Africa were bombed.

We weren't too far removed from the unibomber, or Tim McVeigh, the Heavens Gate Cult mass-suicide, and numerous school shootings - the Columbine incident came a bit later in 1999. Rosy times indeed!!!

Problems will continue to exist and attract headlines in the news, because after all, catastrophe sells. That hasn't changed over time. It also doesn't change the fact that the standard of living for the average joe is getting better all the time.

I, for one, know for a FACT that the doeton makes beer tasty enough to make your observation of his disposable income worthless.

Forum List

Back