Homework assignment for proponents of ID

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Powerman, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have provided evidence that ID is not science. If it is science then there must be some accredited universities that are teaching it. So I propose a homework assignment for you guys. Find me an accredited college that teached ID as part of a science curriculum.

*Note this is not another evolution thread. It's just an experiment I'm concocting here.

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Here's one for you ...... please provide evidence that anyone in any of your myriad, anti-religion threads has claimed that ID is science.

It is fact that ID is NOT accepted by the sceintific community in favor of their own mythology, and I haven't seen anyone post otherwise.

3. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This is one of those if the shoe fits things...I do believe that no1tovote4 or something to that effect tried to tell me about 50 times that intelligent design is science when in fact only small portions of it are science and ID as a whole is pseudoscience.

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    MASTER PLANNED
    Why intelligent design isn’t.
    by H. ALLEN ORR
    Issue of 2005-05-30
    Posted 2005-05-23

more

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050530fa_fact

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
  6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but seldom are universities the 'cutting edge' of anything not off the mainstream. They follow the trends.

For me, that does not mean they should be introing ID, I don't believe it now belongs in science, in any sense. I do believe it should be a footnote however, in higher level science classes and definately in theology university classes.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I don't particularly believe ID belongs in science class with one exception: IF science teaches theories of origin, then they should either teach ALL theories of origin, or point out the fact that scientific theory is no more supported by fact/evidence than any other theory of origin; which, I'd bet the farm they don't.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Here's the difference, evolution does have 'some' albeit, a small amount of physical evidence to back it up-fossils that show progression towards development. ID has none. At the same time the theory of ID explains some of the 'holes' in evolution, where the development skipped or did not evolve. Yet there is no a 'whiff' of physical evidence, perhaps never can be.

For me, it explains some of the jumps and dregs. For others, not.

9. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah....that's why the govt. gives grants to universities so they can do absolutely nothing with all the research money. That is just not a factual statement and you know it. Universities are always doing research. Maybe you went to a smaller university where they didn't have much funding but where I go to school there is plenty of cutting edge research going on and not all of it is mainstream.

Here is an example
    http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web/sidebar/employment.html

We also have the 4th most powerful computer in the world on our campus. Dare I say cutting edge?

We also have a guy that has successfully cloned goats in the Ag department and have one of the best robotics research facilities in the country. I would hardly consider any of this mainsteam stuff. People at universities are ALWAYS doing research for new things. That's what universities do in addition to educating people.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

This has what to do with the discussion? BTW, this kind of 'resume request' was popular before I divorced my ex, who was in the field. He is currently over 200k per year. Once again, your point? (mine is they lag, especially in things like this.)