Is God invisible?

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
I've kinda tossed around the term invisible God a few times and it got me to thinking that maybe I shouldn't be doing so. I do believe that there were people in the bible such as Moses who did look at God and were affected by his powerful presence. If God is so visually powerful then why has no one seen him in a few thousand years? Is he hiding behind some massive stellar object or does he just go on invisible mode or something? This might offer a better question. If God revealed himself to Moses in the form of a burning bush then why didn't he just do that when he met with Moses on Mt. Sinai? Seems kinda excessive for him to show up in his ultra powerful form that seemed to scar Moses for life doesn't it?

Powerman said:
I've kinda tossed around the term invisible God a few times and it got me to thinking that maybe I shouldn't be doing so. I do believe that there were people in the bible such as Moses who did look at God and were affected by his powerful presence. If God is so visually powerful then why has no one seen him in a few thousand years? Is he hiding behind some massive stellar object or does he just go on invisible mode or something? This might offer a better question. If God revealed himself to Moses in the form of a burning bush then why didn't he just do that when he met with Moses on Mt. Sinai? Seems kinda excessive for him to show up in his ultra powerful form that seemed to scar Moses for life doesn't it?

Another anti-God thread? Dude, get some therapy. You're obsessed.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
GunnyL said:

No. I'm just curious why God is hiding. If he does in fact exist, then why not show himself? I doubt God has social anxiety disorder or anything like that. Can you tell me why we haven't seen God in thousands of years?

Shattered said:
Boy, don't you know when to quit poking at people.

Hey maybe so. Funny how no one has a logical response to the questions I pose though. It doesn't seem to me like God would want to take a 2000 year vacation.

Powerman said:

Dude if you keep up with this shit I might have to reconsider my atheism. Please move on to the next topic. Football, Shakespeare, the Beatles, Knitting, anything but more Atheism 101. Anybody who has ever given 5 minutes thought to the subject has been there, done that. Do you think your ideas are original?

Powerman said:
No. I'm just curious why God is hiding. If he does in fact exist, then why not show himself? I doubt God has social anxiety disorder or anything like that. Can you tell me why we haven't seen God in thousands of years?

He shows himself everywhere and in everything, but I don't expect you to be able to relate to that, so it's kind of moot :sleep: Just because he doesn't come down on a chariot driven by fire doens't mean he's not here.

nucular said:
Dude if you keep up with this shit I might have to reconsider my atheism. Please move on to the next topic. Football, Shakespeare, the Beatles, Knitting, anything but more Atheism 101. Anybody who has ever given 5 minutes thought to the subject has been there, done that. Do you think your ideas are original?

Sure we can talk about football. I do that on another message board. I just type extremely fast and do a lot of multi tasking. And no I don't think that my ideas are original. I think that every sane person has at least shared similar thoughts at some point in their life. It's fun to get under peoples skin every now and then but more importantly every now and then you'll get a very interesting response when you ask such questions. I'm open to different ideas.

Bonnie said:
He shows himself everywhere and in everything, but I don't expect you to be able to relate to that, so it's kind of moot :sleep: Just because he doesn't come down on a chariot driven by fire doens't mean he's not here.

Nothing wrong with that theory.

This would depend on your actual belief system. If you are a Buddhist, there can be several different interpretations, including a non-theist view. In my personal belief system, along with many Buddhists, all things that live are a small part of the Deity. The Deity is not invisible any more than you are, you are part of what makes up the whole.

However your questions seems posed toward a different mindset, a Christian one. I will therefore endeavor to answer some of your questions in that particular view.

The Christian view:

The Bible holds that noone mortal, except Christ himself, has ever seen God's face. When Moses met with god on Mount Arrarat he was only allowed to see his form, but not his face. There are other instances where God showed himself to followers but in every case it was specifically limited. (Other than, of course, Christ Himself.)

Well here is a site that will go into more detail:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/4610/lifelines/invisible.html
A quote from the site:

God is invisible. This fact is often ridiculed by unbelievers as though it meant He did not exist. But we shouldn’t be embarrassed by this nor apologize for it. When they scoff that you can’t even see God we should reply, "Of course not; one of His attributes is that He is invisible." And it is fortunate for mankind that He is not visible at the present time; otherwise, no one could live. The reason that no one can see His face and live may be that His glory, His brightness and power, emanates from His face. Ecclesiastes 8:1 says, "A man’s wisdom maketh his face to shine" (KJV); it may be the same with God. Moses’ own face shown after he had spoken to God face to face for forty days on Mount Sinai. Just as there is a more direct connection between a man’s inner spirit and being and his face than other body parts, it seems it is the same with God. It is out of His face that His glory, brightness, and power emanates in such measure that for a man to look upon it in his present mortal state would kill him. One of the promises Jesus gave in the Beatitudes is that believers one day will be able to look upon God: "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God" (Matthew 5:8). So when we say God is invisible, we do not mean that He has no form that can be seen. We mean only that in our present state, God cannot be seen (except in a limited sense and only on those rare occasions mentioned in Scripture).

Here is another site from the Christian POV that will tell you about why God hasn't shown irrefutable proof of his existence by simply showing himself to you:

A quote from this second site:

The Bible says that God hides himself and delays the public return of Christ because "he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9). When God hides himself, he leaves room for doubt, but he also leaves room for repentance. When God stops hiding, there will no longer be room for either. The Lord’s face will have an eternal and overwhelming attraction for those who have learned to love him in his hidden-ness, but his face will have the opposite effect for all others. His irresistible holiness will repel them and send them hurtling away from him into the oblivion of hell.

And if you have time to read a long site here is one that has evidence of modern miracles:

http://www.geocities.com/meta_crock/other/Miracles.htm

GunnyL said:

My take too. He has no other interests, than putting down those that do believe. I'm not in any way, shape, or form super religious. I'm open to scientific explanations of all sorts. I have never believed in a literal interpretation of the Bible or any other writing, I have some difficulty in relating to those that do.

With that said, Powerman is off the wall.

nucular said:

I have been thinking "if atheists are this annoyoing and stupid, I am going to church on Sunday."

Maybe Powerman is an evangelist with a new, crazy, reverse psychology method.

elephant said:
I have been thinking "if atheists are this annoyoing and stupid, I am going to church on Sunday."

Maybe Powerman is an evangelist with a new, crazy, reverse psychology method.

Good theory. There's no other explanation for his repetition and monotony.

Kathianne said:
My take too. He has no other interests, than putting down those that do believe. I'm not in any way, shape, or form super religious. I'm open to scientific explanations of all sorts. I have never believed in a literal interpretation of the Bible or any other writing, I have some difficulty in relating to those that do.

With that said, Powerman is off the wall.

LOL, how do you know I have no other interests? I enjoy cooking very much, I'm a huge football junkie, I love movies, I like to play the guitar, I enjoy other things such as crossword puzzles, logical puzzles that deal with spatial geometry...I like all sorts of things and have a broad range of interests. Religion is just one of the things that fascinates me. I don't hate people that believe in God. My family is a Christian family and I love them very much and most of my friends are also Christians. The only Christians I don't like are the extremists that hate gay people and want to tinker with what we teach in the classroom if it conflicts with literal biblical stories. I thought I made that pretty clear but I guess not.

Powerman said:
LOL, how do you know I have no other interests? I enjoy cooking very much, I'm a huge football junkie, I love movies, I like to play the guitar, I enjoy other things such as crossword puzzles, logical puzzles that deal with spatial geometry...I like all sorts of things and have a broad range of interests. Religion is just one of the things that fascinates me. I don't hate people that believe in God. My family is a Christian family and I love them very much and most of my friends are also Christians. The only Christians I don't like are the extremists that hate gay people and want to tinker with what we teach in the classroom if it conflicts with literal biblical stories. I thought I made that pretty clear but I guess not.

Actually it seems as though you spend more time trying and wanting to prove religion more than disprove it.

Powerman said:

Your actions contradict your words.

Then for the love of all that is holy, talk about something else. We've pretty much figured out that you won't accept any evidence that contradicts you, and you've figured out we're all ignorant hicks who want to suppress science. The only thing more of this anit-religious crap will do is drive my blood pressure up.

Powerman said:
Hah since you live with me you must know this...

What a piece of work. You could misconstrue boiling water. Your actions as they pertain to this forum and topic.

You try to sell yourself as the well-rounded, happy-go-lucky type, while at the same time going on an obsessive rant posting thread after thread on the same anti-religious crap, and proving that you are closed-minded to any information on the topic that does not agree with your POV.

Hopefully I have clarified that for you. :scratch:

Kathianne said:

Exactly how I feel as well!!! LOL YOU :rock:

Forum List

Back