Is God invisible?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Powerman, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've kinda tossed around the term invisible God a few times and it got me to thinking that maybe I shouldn't be doing so. I do believe that there were people in the bible such as Moses who did look at God and were affected by his powerful presence. If God is so visually powerful then why has no one seen him in a few thousand years? Is he hiding behind some massive stellar object or does he just go on invisible mode or something? This might offer a better question. If God revealed himself to Moses in the form of a burning bush then why didn't he just do that when he met with Moses on Mt. Sinai? Seems kinda excessive for him to show up in his ultra powerful form that seemed to scar Moses for life doesn't it?

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Another anti-God thread? Dude, get some therapy. You're obsessed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    No. I'm just curious why God is hiding. If he does in fact exist, then why not show himself? I doubt God has social anxiety disorder or anything like that. Can you tell me why we haven't seen God in thousands of years?

4. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Boy, don't you know when to quit poking at people.

5. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hey maybe so. Funny how no one has a logical response to the questions I pose though. It doesn't seem to me like God would want to take a 2000 year vacation.

6. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Dude if you keep up with this shit I might have to reconsider my atheism. Please move on to the next topic. Football, Shakespeare, the Beatles, Knitting, anything but more Atheism 101. Anybody who has ever given 5 minutes thought to the subject has been there, done that. Do you think your ideas are original?

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

He shows himself everywhere and in everything, but I don't expect you to be able to relate to that, so it's kind of moot :sleep: Just because he doesn't come down on a chariot driven by fire doens't mean he's not here.

8. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sure we can talk about football. I do that on another message board. I just type extremely fast and do a lot of multi tasking. And no I don't think that my ideas are original. I think that every sane person has at least shared similar thoughts at some point in their life. It's fun to get under peoples skin every now and then but more importantly every now and then you'll get a very interesting response when you ask such questions. I'm open to different ideas.

9. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Nothing wrong with that theory.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    This would depend on your actual belief system. If you are a Buddhist, there can be several different interpretations, including a non-theist view. In my personal belief system, along with many Buddhists, all things that live are a small part of the Deity. The Deity is not invisible any more than you are, you are part of what makes up the whole.

However your questions seems posed toward a different mindset, a Christian one. I will therefore endeavor to answer some of your questions in that particular view.

The Christian view:

The Bible holds that noone mortal, except Christ himself, has ever seen God's face. When Moses met with god on Mount Arrarat he was only allowed to see his form, but not his face. There are other instances where God showed himself to followers but in every case it was specifically limited. (Other than, of course, Christ Himself.)

Well here is a site that will go into more detail:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/4610/lifelines/invisible.html
    Here is another site from the Christian POV that will tell you about why God hasn't shown irrefutable proof of his existence by simply showing himself to you:

And if you have time to read a long site here is one that has evidence of modern miracles:

http://www.geocities.com/meta_crock/other/Miracles.htm