Philisophical question regarding Christianity

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
This is a fairly interesting topic that one of my friends brought up on a Christian message board. Yes believe it or not I used to post on a Christian message board. I still check it out sometimes. This isn't an anti-Christianity thread so just relax.

Can Judas be saved?

Why or why not?

During my Catholic school days they seemed to want to hammer in the idea that any sin is forgiveable so long as you are truly sorry for it and beg God forgiveness. However I do believe there are some passages in the bible that might hint at some sins being unforgiveable.

From the KJV Matthew 12:31-32
"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

There are also 2 similar examples that both mention the same sin of blaspheming against the holy ghost. One is in Luke and the other in Mark. This would not seem to apply to the situation of Judas but who knows.

There's no biblical reason for Judas 'not' being 'saved'. Frankly, Judas was instrumental in fullfilling prophecy, and by his sin (Greed) he paved the way for his, and our salvation.

Judas did as Christ asked. Christ sent him out knowing what he would do. There is a whole school of Christian thought that states that Christ and Judas were extremely close and that this was asked of Judas as a friend in order to fulfill the prophecy.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Powerman said:
This is a fairly interesting topic that one of my friends brought up on a Christian message board. Yes believe it or not I used to post on a Christian message board. I still check it out sometimes. This isn't an anti-Christianity thread so just relax.

Can Judas be saved?

Why or why not?

During my Catholic school days they seemed to want to hammer in the idea that any sin is forgiveable so long as you are truly sorry for it and beg God forgiveness. However I do believe there are some passages in the bible that might hint at some sins being unforgiveable.

From the KJV Matthew 12:31-32
"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

There are also 2 similar examples that both mention the same sin of blaspheming against the holy ghost. One is in Luke and the other in Mark. This would not seem to apply to the situation of Judas but who knows.

Just because Judas did not commit the unforgivable sin does not mean that Judas will be saved. It's clear that Judas is eligible to be saved - as are all humans. But not everyone will be saved - only those who repent of their sinful ways and believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus. As far as we know, Judas did not repent before he hanged himself.

To address your other point, there is plenty of debate about the unforgivable sin and what exactly constitutes that.

gop_jeff said:
Just because Judas did not commit the unforgivable sin does not mean that Judas will be saved. It's clear that Judas is eligible to be saved - as are all humans. But not everyone will be saved - only those who repent of their sinful ways and believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus. As far as we know, Judas did not repent before he hanged himself.

To address your other point, there is plenty of debate about the unforgivable sin and what exactly constitutes that.

Actually he did repent.

(Mat 27:3) Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Of course you could say that he was unable to repent if you believe that suicide is worthy of damnation.

Powerman said:
Actually he did repent.

(Mat 27:3) Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Of course you could say that he was unable to repent if you believe that suicide is worthy of damnation.

The question of suicide aside for now (though the argument that suicide is damnable is a pretty strong one), the NASB (most literal of all English Bible translations) says "he felt remorse," and the English Standard says that "he changed his mind." These are elements of repentance, but godly repentance does not lead to suicide; it leads to asking God for forgiveness and attempting to lead a more holy life. Had Judas repented in a godly manner, he would have gone to the temple that day to sacrifice, or spent time in prayer. Therefore, by his actions, we can conclude that his sorrow did not equate to godly repentance.

One may contrast his actions to Peter, who so famously denied Christ three times that night. In John 22, we see Jesus reinstating Peter, who responds to His offer of forgiveness with love and a newfound sense of devotion.

Powerman said:
Actually he did repent.

Other than bringing the silver back to them it is hearsay. Nobody could know what was in the mind of Judas Iscariot. Clearly Christ ordered him to leave and "do what you must do".

I will see if I can find a link to one of the sites that has this particular view. They tend to believe that Christ and Judas planned the betrayal, thus Christ ordered him to do what he had done. They believe that he was overwhelmed by grief afterward, he had lost not only his best friend but his Religious anchor.

Forum List

Back