Homework assignment for proponents of ID

Powerman said:
Step 1) go to harvard.edu (To help you out since you live in a vaccuum- Harvard is a really good university)
Step 2) Use the search function and type "intelligent design".

?
I don't see a search function on their main page. I even tried using ctrl f to search for the word 'search' and it was only found within the word research. Were you trying to tell me that they teach intelligent design at harvard? If they do and you have proof of it why don't you just direct me directly to the courses page that lists it?

Now you are just acting stupid. You cannot be serious.

To the person that called me stupid and wanted me to search for intelligent design on the Harvard website....looks like there is no scientific classes that deal with intelligent design. The first 2 results were from a law class and a philosophy class respectively. Maybe you would be interested in what was said about intelligent design in the lecture titled "Intelligent Design: A New Holy War Against Science"?

It can be found in the link below...

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/10.11/14-thingstodo.html

I don't see anything here that would give you a decent grade on the homework assignment I proposed. There are no science classes that teach intelligent design. Oddly enough they have classes that teach evolution. Isn't that funny?

Powerman said:
Step 1) go to harvard.edu (To help you out since you live in a vaccuum- Harvard is a really good university)
Step 2) Use the search function and type "intelligent design".

?
I don't see a search function on their main page. I even tried using ctrl f to search for the word 'search' and it was only found within the word research. Were you trying to tell me that they teach intelligent design at harvard? If they do and you have proof of it why don't you just direct me directly to the courses page that lists it?

Nevermind I found the search button. Need to get these eyes checked or something

Last time I checked, U of C wasn't miles behind. Not too mention U of I. Sorry, will not kowtow to Ivies.

So is that your alma mater? If not, was it Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown? Hmmmm

elephant said:
Now you are just acting stupid. You cannot be serious.

LOL Somehow I didn't see it. But I have found some things that you might find interesting in the search field. I didn't find anything that makes any case for intelligent design as solid science from the Harvard website.

This is from the link that Bonnie posted
ID Colleges

The following colleges and universities offer courses or programs that include an Intelligent Design perspective

* Biola University, Masters of Arts degree program in Science and Religion
* Biola University, Torrey Honors Institute
* Oklahoma Baptist University, Natural Science Program

Did anyone else laugh incredibly hard at this pathetic list of Universities that are teaching intelligent design? Not to mention they aren't even being taught as science. They are being taught as religion. Oh well at least you tried Bonnie.

Kathianne said:
Last time I checked, U of C wasn't miles behind. Not too mention U of I. Sorry, will not kowtow to Ivies.

So is that your alma mater? If not, was it Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown? Hmmmm

My alma mater is LSU. I have a degree in mathematics and I am 17 hours from a second degree in electrical engineering. Which U of C are you referring to?

Powerman said:
This is from the link that Bonnie posted

Did anyone else laugh incredibly hard at this pathetic list of Universities that are teaching intelligent design? Not to mention they aren't even being taught as science. They are being taught as religion. Oh well at least you tried Bonnie.

Ok, P man, time to give your credentials. I have.

Powerman said:
My alma mater is LSU. I have a degree in mathematics and I am 17 hours from a second degree in electrical engineering. Which U of C are you referring to?

University of Chicago. LSU is a good school. Hat tip to you. 2nd degree a MS?

Nope. I'm afraid I'm going for the undergrad. I didn't have enough knowledge in the EE field to jump into their grad level courses. It would have been suicide. But my math background has definitely helped me. I didn't know that I wanted to be EE until my last semester in mathematics. You can get decent jobs with a math degree but it's just not for me. If I could do it all over again I would have done just EE.

Powerman said:
Nope. I'm afraid I'm going for the undergrad. I didn't have enough knowledge in the EE field to jump into their grad level courses. It would have been suicide. But my math background has definitely helped me. I didn't know that I wanted to be EE until my last semester in mathematics. You can get decent jobs with a math degree but it's just not for me. If I could do it all over again I would have done just EE.

I kind of just fell into a Math degree. While I was in the Navy I CLEP'd out of a ton of Math and English courses and ended up with a dual degree in Math and English from Denver University. I had to decide right away and simply had no idea what I wanted to do. After College I took Networking courses and got many Certifications, I now have a job as a Telephony Engineer.

no1tovote4 said:
I kind of just fell into a Math degree. While I was in the Navy I CLEP'd out of a ton of Math and English courses and ended up with a dual degree in Math and English from Denver University. I had to decide right away and simply had no idea what I wanted to do. After College I took Networking courses and got many Certifications, I now have a job as a Telephony Engineer.

This is embarrasing to admit to, considering the 3 BA degrees and umpteeth hours, but I Clep'd out of two years of English, Math, and History back in the 70's. Must have been easier then...

no1tovote4 said:

So I take it you work in the private sector now?

Kathianne said:
This is embarrasing to admit to, considering the 3 BA degrees and umpteeth hours, but I Clep'd out of two years of English, Math, and History back in the 70's. Must have been easier then...

No need to be embarrassed, there is nothing wrong in saving money by CLEP'ing or challenging courses. I was able to use my Russian training from the military for 47 hours of Russian as well. I forgot to mention that before.

no1tovote4 said:
No need to be embarrassed, there is nothing wrong in saving money by CLEP'ing or challenging courses. I was able to use my Russian training from the military for 47 hours of Russian as well. I forgot to mention that before.

The embarrassing part is that I didn't go for advanced degrees a heck of a lot sooner. Truth to tell, thought I'd 'fooled all of them', that thought I knew diddly squat! :teeth: (Even being given credits, I thought I knew 'more' than 'them'. 'They' were just too dumb to know how 'little' I knew.) Arrogance of youth? Let's call it that.

OK a couple of things that stick out here. First I would like to thank Bonnie for finding us some colleges that teach intelligent design so let's all give her a round of applause.

*pauses until applause stops

But I do believe that I asked for an accredited university. Unfortunately none of these universities are accredited by ABET who is the people who accredit univeristy programs in the areas of applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. It's all on their website as you can see....

http://www.abet.org/

You can search for accredited universities on this website by all of these fields...so if the university has at least one accredited program out of science, computing, engineering, or technology it will show up in the search.

You will notice that none of these colleges that were listed in the links were accredited by ABET. Although in one of the links they claim that there is an accredited school called the Institution for Creation Research Graduate School or something to that effect. If you scroll down further in the page it claims that they are accredited by some Christian Bible school association or something of the sort. Hardly an endorsement by science... All of these schools are bible study schools. If you want to study the bible and be a theologian they are probably good schools to go to. I certainly wouldn't want to go to these if I actually wanted to learn science though.

Powerman said:
OK a couple of things that stick out here. First I would like to thank Bonnie for finding us some colleges that teach intelligent design so let's all give her a round of applause.

*pauses until applause stops

But I do believe that I asked for an accredited university. Unfortunately none of these universities are accredited by ABET who is the people who accredit univeristy programs in the areas of applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. It's all on their website as you can see....

http://www.abet.org/

You can search for accredited universities on this website by all of these fields...so if the university has at least one accredited program out of science, computing, engineering, or technology it will show up in the search.

You will notice that none of these colleges that were listed in the links were accredited by ABET. Although in one of the links they claim that there is an accredited school called the Institution for Creation Research Graduate School or something to that effect. If you scroll down further in the page it claims that they are accredited by some Christian Bible school association or something of the sort. Hardly an endorsement by science... All of these schools are bible study schools. If you want to study the bible and be a theologian they are probably good schools to go to. I certainly wouldn't want to go to these if I actually wanted to learn science though.

And that proves what? Use the brain...

Kathianne said:
And that proves what? Use the brain...

That proves that no accredited universities that we know of as of right now teach intelligent design. I asked for someone to find one that did and none of them do. The only schools that teach it are bible study universities. I was called stupid and asked to search for intelligent design on Harvard's website by elephant. Apparently his arrogance betrayed his commitment to completing his research becuase the search did return links relating to intelligent design but they don't teach it at Harvard. They did have a lecture at Harvard University that claims that intelligent design is a holy war against science however. That one seems to have blown up in his face. Maybe he should be the one wiping the stupid look off of his face.

Powerman said:
This is one of those if the shoe fits things...I do believe that no1tovote4 or something to that effect tried to tell me about 50 times that intelligent design is science when in fact only small portions of it are science and ID as a whole is pseudoscience.

Okay, I would like to reiterate and expound on this.

I do not believe that ID is solid science. I simply like to be precise when stating something and like others to be as well.

You keep stating that ID is not science at all. I therefore showed that some of the proponents of ID do not work in the non-existent Scientific Theory of ID, but work within the Scientific Process to discount various aspects of the Theory of Evolution through testing and experimentation with observable results and showed how this was part of the Scientific Process. This would mean it is at least partially science.

By stating it is "not science" you deny that there is any science to be found in any proponent of ID. This is like taking a glass full of cranberry juice, pouring in a small amount of orange juice then holding the glass up and stating "there is no orange juice here!" clearly there is orange juice in that glass. In other words, I seek a more precise statement then "not science" when speaking of this. Not a Scientific Theory fits. Not fully hard science fits. "Not science" does not fit.

Powerman said:
That proves that no accredited universities that we know of as of right now teach intelligent design. I asked for someone to find one that did and none of them do. The only schools that teach it are bible study universities. I was called stupid and asked to search for intelligent design on Harvard's website by elephant. Apparently his arrogance betrayed his commitment to completing his research becuase the search did return links relating to intelligent design but they don't teach it at Harvard. They did have a lecture at Harvard University that claims that intelligent design is a holy war against science however. That one seems to have blown up in his face. Maybe he should be the one wiping the stupid look off of his face.

So one could assume, based on your self profile, that you knew the answer before you posed the question. Then you posed it anyways, attempting to bash Bonnie for an attempt to answer it. Your response was that her response 'did not qualify.'

Some might conclude that you are an asshat for setting something like this up. That might be harsh, but then again, maybe not.

Forum List

Back