Homeschooling surges as parents realize how worthless public schools are

Nothing many of us didn't already know.

"I think the future for homeschooling is really bright," he said. "All the grownups have learned during the pandemic that work is something that you do, not somewhere that you go." And that has led many of them to rethink traditional schooling models as well.

Parents in the U.S. are continuing to show elevated interest in homeschooling, signaling a potential surge as the future of institutional in-person schooling throughout the country remains unclear in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beginning just over a year ago, schools throughout the country began to close down for fears that schoolchildren might contribute to the spread of COVID-19. Most school districts switched to "virtual" learning models in which students studied lessons via Zoom-based instruction, with many of them required to sit in front of computer screens for long hours every day.

Interest in homeschooling shot up late last year, particularly as teachers nationwide were refusing to return to classrooms and in-person education in the winter and spring of 2021 appeared less likely.

Some schools across the country have since opened up for in-person instruction, yet homeschooling leaders across the country are reporting still-elevated homeschool activity from parents who in normal years would likely not have considered it.

Johannes Ziegler, the founder and CEO of the home instruction company Miacademy, said he "absolutely" expects interest in homeschooling to remain elevated above its earlier levels.
Homeschooling has always been an option. If more are using it, so be it. Why are you whining?

Traditional schooling methods are long out of date, heck MY daughter is doing much better when I moved her to a school that uses the running class blocks of 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours long and have just 2-3 classes at a time and stay in the same room all day.

This is a prime example of the stupid running rampant in those who bash education. This has been done in some schools for years!

You are part of the problem when America is getting beaten by a lot of nations in Schooling performance and you defend it.

Bullshit. Even in private school there is indoctrination. ......

You know what goes on in every public and private school in the country? How long have you been a professional teacher?

He is not a professional anything except an idiot on the topic of education!

And yet it is your profession that passed out a high schooler with a .13 GPA....DOH!

Once again, fucktard, teachers don't make those decisions. Local school board do, you brainless fuck!

They don't? Who is responsible then, for a whole class of students who perform that badly?

Which "whole class" are you talking about?

There is a class of high schoolers in Baltimore, I assume you know where that is? Where the whole class had a GPA under 1. Look up the story. If you care about education you will be astonished.

Bing has a lot of links over it, I am sure Master Education boy will come along and scream some more insults at us because he is sooo smart!

Do you even have a clue as to who you are responding to?

Yeah, I am responding to YOU a retired jackass with a pinecone up your ass!

I told the truth, you came back with insults, I came back again to point out what happened in MY school District, you came back with more snobbery and insults.

I have been in meetings with people up to the Principals level. Working with them to figure out how to deal with my Daughter problems with standard school curricula, ended up moving her to Legacy High School where the relaxed format is better for her. You make clear you don't give a shit as you come back belittling me with your slime.

My Father taught in College for 12 years, My Godmother was a long time School Psychologist, one of my brothers retired after 30 years of teaching in region, education has been important to my family.

:(
So what is your excuse for why you are worthless turd?

"I think the future for homeschooling is really bright," he said. "All the grownups have learned during the pandemic that work is something that you do, not somewhere that you go." And that has led many of them to rethink traditional schooling models as well.

Parents in the U.S. are continuing to show elevated interest in homeschooling, signaling a potential surge as the future of institutional in-person schooling throughout the country remains unclear in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beginning just over a year ago, schools throughout the country began to close down for fears that schoolchildren might contribute to the spread of COVID-19. Most school districts switched to "virtual" learning models in which students studied lessons via Zoom-based instruction, with many of them required to sit in front of computer screens for long hours every day.

Interest in homeschooling shot up late last year, particularly as teachers nationwide were refusing to return to classrooms and in-person education in the winter and spring of 2021 appeared less likely.

Some schools across the country have since opened up for in-person instruction, yet homeschooling leaders across the country are reporting still-elevated homeschool activity from parents who in normal years would likely not have considered it.

Johannes Ziegler, the founder and CEO of the home instruction company Miacademy, said he "absolutely" expects interest in homeschooling to remain elevated above its earlier levels.
Homeschooling has always been an option. If more are using it, so be it. Why are you whining?

Traditional schooling methods are long out of date, heck MY daughter is doing much better when I moved her to a school that uses the running class blocks of 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours long and have just 2-3 classes at a time and stay in the same room all day.

This is a prime example of the stupid running rampant in those who bash education. This has been done in some schools for years!

You are part of the problem when America is getting beaten by a lot of nations in Schooling performance and you defend it.
You propose a solution that has been in place for many years. That's pretty ignorant about education and stupid for you not knowing better.

If the kids do not want to learn, you cannot unscrew the tops of their head and pour knowledge in.

You propose a solution that has been in place for many years. That's pretty ignorant about education and stupid for you not knowing better.

If the kids do not want to learn, you cannot unscrew the tops of their head and pour knowledge in.

Correct. But instead of sending them away you are so desperate for the cash you get for having them in school you allow them to disrupt the education of the kids who DO want to learn.

So simple a moron can figure it out.

So why haven't you....

Correct. But instead of sending them away you are so desperate for the cash you get for having them in school you allow them to disrupt the education of the kids who DO want to learn.

So simple a moron can figure it out.

So why haven't you....
Like most of your pathetic knowledge of public education. it appears that "alternative schools" escapes you. You are the moron in this case.

The problem is that these schools are overwhelmed by the number of students eligible to attend because school districts will not fund them sufficiently to handle the number of students needing this type of instruction.

I felt at the time, and still do that most of my schooling was a complete waste of time.
That includes university level courses. I would say that of the 120 hours to earn my baccalaureate, at least 60% of that was filler.

I pay for a private school for my grandkid too.

I do have a cousin who has started homeschooling her 2 boys when she began working from home, and she is liking it a lot. Some of the rest of us in our tribe who are raising kids under 10 have been discussing putting together a "pod" or whatever they call it, and sharing instructor duties. We got about a half dozen kids running around, pretty close in age.
We have a lot of different skills we can teach, in addition to the 3 R's. By the time they're 16, they'll be able to build a house, balance their checkbooks, hunt, kill and cook dinner, service and repair their vehicles, operate any computer system out there, do plumbing, electrical work, and flooring. They'll know how to build wealth, and avoid debt. They'll be able to drive most anything, from big rigs to motorcycles, and maybe even fly a plane, depending. They will understand how to run a business successfully, even one that the government will throw you in a cage for, and how to play poker, and who to never play against....ever. They'll know how to fight an insurgency, from both sides. The classics of western civilization will be required reading, and they will understand our values, family and freedom, above all.

Individuals educating their offspring themselves is the natural order of things; it is how it has been done for almost all of human history...... and the children educated that way grew into men who built empires and entire civilizations.

Public schools run by the state are the new thing, and it was an experiment that has failed miserably.

Don't forget to put Unintended Consequences on the reading list.
I'm hurt that you thought I need to be reminded, lol.

I felt at the time, and still do that most of my schooling was a complete waste of time.
That includes university level courses. I would say that of the 120 hours to earn my baccalaureate, at least 60% of that was filler.
That's part of being educated and going to university. Part of the significance of a college degree (depending on the program) is that you are somewhat of a well rounded intellectual and someone who can set and meet goals, and communicate well. . We have positions at my company that require a degree, because we want people in those positions who we know can communicate well and who arent blindsided by any topic not specific to the sometimes narrow focus of their jobs. Hiring these people gives us a better chance of getting someone willing to learn new things and deal with fluid job descriptions. One aspect where we can tell a big difference is, when we hire people with no degree, we get a lot more "that's not my job" attitude and a lot more resistance to learning new things or new job functions. Make of that what you will.

I had to visit one of the satellite locations 2 weeks ago. I hijacked one of the offices and displaced the person using it for 4 days to another station. There are 6 regular employees working at this location on any given day. I left the office door open jist enough to keep one ear on them.

The other 5 employees are all people who refuse to get vaccinated. I listened to them complain about our clientele, fill all of their downtime with little trivia games and personal discussions, and i heard "not really my job" quite a few times. As more of an experiment than a sincere effort to redirect some of their energy and time, i suggested to them some tactics and strategies for building new business that could be employed when they are not directly engaged with our clientele or their other duties. They spent more time complaining about having to learn new softwares and software tricks and having to learn new things about our company of which they were previously ignorant, than they did actually meeting the challenge of a new project and trying it out. And by "more time", i mean 100% to 0%. By the time i left the location, they had literally not performed the new, suggested tasks one single time.

The employee whom i displaced (chosen intentionally by me) did not complain one time. They quietly spent their first few hours getting their temporary workstation up and running and getting access to all pf the softwares they use on a daily basis. They happened to hear my suggestions to the other staff and used their downtime to research document templates, legality, and to come up with ideas for implementing the new ideas efficiently and for tracking their success. They offered to present their ideas to the other staff and to be the trial case for the rest of the company at their location, assuming all accountability and responsibility for the program.

And they managed to communicate this to me in 3 brief, well written emails that attempted to foresee and to answer questions before i asked them. This contrasted greatly with the communications with the others, who seemed to relish the opportunity to leave their stations, to come sit in my office, and then to spend 20-30 minutes trying to get across a few simple ideas.

One of the 6 employees has a Bachelor's degree. Can everyone guess which one? I bet you can.

I had to visit one of the satellite locations 2 weeks ago. I hijacked one of the offices and displaced the person using it for 4 days to another station. There are 6 regular employees working at this location on any given day. I left the office door open jist enough to keep one ear on them.

The other 5 employees are all people who refuse to get vaccinated. I listened to them complain about our clientele, fill all of their downtime with little trivia games and personal discussions, and i heard "not really my job" quite a few times. As more of an experiment than a sincere effort to redirect some of their energy and time, i suggested to them some tactics and strategies for building new business that could be employed when they are not directly engaged with our clientele or their other duties. They spent more time complaining about having to learn new softwares and software tricks and having to learn new things about our company of which they were previously ignorant, than they did actually meeting the challenge of a new project and trying it out. And by "more time", i mean 100% to 0%. By the time i left the location, they had literally not performed the new, suggested tasks one single time.

The employee whom i displaced (chosen intentionally by me) did not complain one time. They quietly spent their first few hours getting their temporary workstation up and running and getting access to all pf the softwares they use on a daily basis. They happened to hear my suggestions to the other staff and used their downtime to research document templates, legality, and to come up with ideas for implementing the new ideas efficiently and for tracking their success. They offered to present their ideas to the other staff and to be the trial case for the rest of the company at their location, assuming all accountability and responsibility for the program.

And they managed to communicate this to me in 3 brief, well written emails that attempted to foresee and to answer questions before i asked them. This contrasted greatly with the communications with the others, who seemed to relish the opportunity to leave their stations, to come sit in my office, and then to spend 20-30 minutes trying to get across a few simple ideas.

One of the 6 employees has a Bachelor's degree. Can everyone guess which one? I bet you can.
You are so full of shit your breath stinks.

I know a person who was high up in OFSTED (UK inspector of schools). She said that if she had had kids, she wouldn't have sent them to state school.

Wish I could go back 16 years and home schooled my kids.

What happens when you get to subjects like calculus, chemistry, trigonometry, physics, and foreign languages?

How do you teach those at home?

On a related note, we have a mayoral candidate that fits right in to the "defund the police' and other SJW bullshit. She is also in the back pocket of the teacher's union and wants a moratorium on Charter Schools, even though they consistently and CONSTANTLY outperform the district schools in Buffalo by every metric. Seems the other thing the teacher's unions want is zero competition to their monopoly. And this is the #1,2,and 3 reason why I am NOT supporting India Walton and instead writing in Byron Brown for Mayor.

Forum List

Back