Homeschooling surges as parents realize how worthless public schools are

Homeschool your kids and raise a wierdo.
Let’s not say weird

Maybe socially awkward
Myth.
I met a 15 year old in Alaska at my Judo club who had been homeschooled and had finished high school at 13. He was taking college courses, and one of the other adults at the club was in some of his classes.
He was an impressive young man, he had his shit together.
whoop de fucking do

Did he go to the prom?
Did he meet people of other social classes, races, religions?
What kind of social life does a 14 year old in college have?
Creepy
Depending on the co-op his family was in, absolutely he went to the prom.
Depending on the demographic makeup of his area, absolutely he met "people of other social classes, races, religions".
When college costs over a hundred grand, there'd better be a heck of lot more than a social life those kids should be focused on.

This kid will likely finish college a year or two before his peers and be established in a career while they're still trying to figure out where they left their pants, who is this in bed beside me, and crap, we didn't use a rubber.

So if you finish college at 18-19 and enter the workforce, what do you get?
Did you win?

I’d rather have a kid who graduates College at 21-22 and has acclimated with his peers and had a good time.
Okay, that's who you want, go ahead and hire that person, there are plenty of them around.

I want people that are capable, driven, and productive, so I'd probably hire the kid, (although this was about 20 years ago, so he's mid 30s by now.)

I was a supervisor for 20 years

I would rather hire a mature 22 year old with a BS Degree than a 19 year old wiz kid
Even though the whiz kid has the same degree that he earned in less time and is more mature than the 22 year old party animal?
That 19 year old who is barely shaving has to interact with employees in their 30s and 40s
While he may know the material, he doesn’t have the maturity to work effectively with his peers
If he was home schooled, he was taught how to handle himself with people older than himself.

Nothing many of us didn't already know.

"I think the future for homeschooling is really bright," he said. "All the grownups have learned during the pandemic that work is something that you do, not somewhere that you go." And that has led many of them to rethink traditional schooling models as well.

Parents in the U.S. are continuing to show elevated interest in homeschooling, signaling a potential surge as the future of institutional in-person schooling throughout the country remains unclear in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beginning just over a year ago, schools throughout the country began to close down for fears that schoolchildren might contribute to the spread of COVID-19. Most school districts switched to "virtual" learning models in which students studied lessons via Zoom-based instruction, with many of them required to sit in front of computer screens for long hours every day.

Interest in homeschooling shot up late last year, particularly as teachers nationwide were refusing to return to classrooms and in-person education in the winter and spring of 2021 appeared less likely.

Some schools across the country have since opened up for in-person instruction, yet homeschooling leaders across the country are reporting still-elevated homeschool activity from parents who in normal years would likely not have considered it.

Johannes Ziegler, the founder and CEO of the home instruction company Miacademy, said he "absolutely" expects interest in homeschooling to remain elevated above its earlier levels.
And another butt hurt from the "conservatives"

Home schooling has gone up because people are worried about sending kids in the petri dish that schools are now so that you can get your morning order of 6 mcmuffins, 4 hash browns, 8 cinnamon rolls. and. of course, a diet coke.
???????
Faux Butt-hurt Trumpinistas are looking for another faux issue to show their faux rage.

On the one hand they demand schools reopen and on the other they demand schools close down so everyone can "home school."

Like watching a cat with a laser pen.

Who demanded schools close so everyone has to homeschool?
I believe schools closed under Trump.

We want the schools open. When it is safe to do so.
You want the schools closed. Permanently.
That's the intent of this thread.

Where did your strawman go to school?
Who?
Reagan? Limbaugh?

Who has demanded that schools close permanently? That was your claim.
I'm sorry. Interaction requires a minimum knowledge of the topic.
Is this your pattern? One pointless, idiotic post then you run away for a week?
As noted, you are simply too ignorant of the topic to be involved in the conversation. .....

As retorted, I actually know much, much, much more about the topic than you do. Go ahead and say the word "ignorant" a few more times, you buffoon.
OK. But only because [sic] not bright enough to ask for something better.
ignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorantignorant

And just for your [sic]..ignoramus.

"just for your"? Learn some English, idiot.
Oh lookie? It's the moron branch of the IGP!

Don't you have some underwear to sniff?

You're failing pretty badly at this whole troll thing, kid. Try something else.
I'd laugh but it's not funny to make fun of the handicapped. No matter how fun you are to watch.
Do you know anything at all about the topic?
I know that you are absolutely ignorant of the topic .....

Actually, I know far more about the topic than you do. What is your education, training, or experience in education?

I’d rather have a kid who graduates College at 21-22 and has acclimated with his peers and had a good time.

I'll bet you would, but instead you got a loser who hates you.

The kid who you Home Schooled, was not allowed to go to school with his friends in the neighborhood, never had a real life

Will hate you
Again, how many home schooling families do you interact with who have told you this? You do know, don't you, that home schooled kids have activities with other home schooled kids and can participate in their local government school activities as well, don't you? Thus, your complaint increasingly rings hollow.
Thats the point
Mommy carefully monitors who their kids can interact with and what experiences they can have.
Little Susie dating a Black Kid is not one of those experiences
In your mind. I notice that you have carefully avoided telling us how you know this to be true. I've asked repeatedly how many home schooling families you interact with, and obviously the answer is none. That means you're making it up out of your bias.

OK..you got me

I lived next to an uneducated Bible Thumper who insisted on Home Schooling her kids
She gave them a Bible focused education and kept them away from other influences

Those kids were not only creepy, but dumb as hell.
So you base your entire criticism on one family. Do we even have to wonder what you would say about someone who did that for Mexican or black families? "Yeah, I lived next to one of those families, and they are the shiftiest, creepiest little thieves you ever saw. They're all like that". See how it sounds?
Don't expect logic from a liberal.

The kid who you Home Schooled, was not allowed to go to school with his friends in the neighborhood, never had a real life

Will hate you

Both my homeschooled daughters got into great universities (one with a full academic scholarship), and they're doing just fine. Your kid hates you for putting them in a room with a pervert for 12 years.
Anti-home schoolers typically operate from emotion, not facts and logic. The inconvenient truth is that home schooled kids usually do quite well, and they can't dispute that so they go for things they imagine about home schooling, and the funny thing is, they don't deviate from it at all.

Any one of my three homeschooled kids, including the 12-year-old, could kick this guy's ass in a debate, always assuming they were willing to waste their time talking to such a benighted dolt in the first place.

True, they didn't learn the same social skills that so many of the public-schooled kids I've met did, because they're a whole lot more polite, considerate, and mature. You would never catch any of my kids sitting down on a crowded bus, yapping with his buddies and totally ignoring an old lady standing in the aisle next to them, for instance, something I see other kids do with depressing regularity.

Let’s not say weird

Maybe socially awkward
Myth.
I met a 15 year old in Alaska at my Judo club who had been homeschooled and had finished high school at 13. He was taking college courses, and one of the other adults at the club was in some of his classes.
whoop de fucking do

Did he go to the prom?
Creepy
Yeah because it's so much better not to realize one's potential and hang out at the mall instead.

Will hate you

Contrary to decades of stereotypes painting homeschool students as awkward and asocial, today's homeschoolers have far fewer difficulties in building healthy friendships than they did in the past.

Technology's rise has been so swift and widespread, much of the socialization now starts on, moves to, or somehow involves the internet — no matter the learning environment.

"They're doing just as well or better," Brian Ray, a homeschooling researcher at the National Home Education Research Institute, tells Business Insider.

Let’s not say weird

Maybe socially awkward
Myth.
whoop de fucking do

Did he go to the prom?
Creepy
Depending on the demographic makeup of his area, absolutely he met "people of other social classes, races, religions".
When college costs over a hundred grand, there'd better be a heck of lot more than a social life those kids should be focused on.

This kid will likely finish college a year or two before his peers and be established in a career while they're still trying to figure out where they left their pants, who is this in bed beside me, and crap, we didn't use a rubber.

Did you win?

There isn't much difference between being 19 or 21

Let’s not say weird

Maybe socially awkward
Myth.
whoop de fucking do

Did he go to the prom?
Creepy

Did you win?

Okay, that's who you want, go ahead and hire that person, there are plenty of them around.

I want people that are capable, driven, and productive, so I'd probably hire the kid, (although this was about 20 years ago, so he's mid 30s by now.)

I was a supervisor for 20 years

I would rather hire a mature 22 year old with a BS Degree than a 19 year old wiz kid

Yeah we know you can't handle people smarter than you

Yes, and they're a large part of the reason why educational rankings in the USA continue to decline every year. People homeschooling their kids is leading the decline in education standards in the USA. Americans are so concerned that their children might turn out to be liberals, they are afraid to expose them to anything other than "conservative" thinking.

No wonder companies can't find workers to fill their jobs. Too many people denying science and facts.
So...do you have anything resembling actual EVIDENCE for that claim? (Of course not.)

I pay for a private school for my grandkid too.

I do have a cousin who has started homeschooling her 2 boys when she began working from home, and she is liking it a lot. Some of the rest of us in our tribe who are raising kids under 10 have been discussing putting together a "pod" or whatever they call it, and sharing instructor duties. We got about a half dozen kids running around, pretty close in age.
We have a lot of different skills we can teach, in addition to the 3 R's. By the time they're 16, they'll be able to build a house, balance their checkbooks, hunt, kill and cook dinner, service and repair their vehicles, operate any computer system out there, do plumbing, electrical work, and flooring. They'll know how to build wealth, and avoid debt. They'll be able to drive most anything, from big rigs to motorcycles, and maybe even fly a plane, depending. They will understand how to run a business successfully, even one that the government will throw you in a cage for, and how to play poker, and who to never play against....ever. They'll know how to fight an insurgency, from both sides. The classics of western civilization will be required reading, and they will understand our values, family and freedom, above all.

Individuals educating their offspring themselves is the natural order of things; it is how it has been done for almost all of human history...... and the children educated that way grew into men who built empires and entire civilizations.

Public schools run by the state are the new thing, and it was an experiment that has failed miserably.

Don't forget to put Unintended Consequences on the reading list.

Still no response to the question, if everyone wants to home school, why are parents throughout the country howling about getting schools reopened? I've watched parents try to home school their kids, and elearning is even worse.

Put down that baseball bat, your straw man is dead. Nobody but you has claimed that "Everyone wants to home school."

Is it any mystery why morons raising morons don't respect education? My kids both go to public school. My oldest graduates this year and has been accepted to one of the country's elite business schools. He will start college as a sophomore. He has tested or will test out of the first semester or entire first level of every physical science, French, and english composition. He will be tutoring the home-schooled nosepickers on campus for spending money.
Yeah, sure...and I have a BEAUTIFUL beachfront house for sale really cheap, about an hour north of Tulsa.

Faux Butt-hurt Trumpinistas are looking for another faux issue to show their faux rage.

On the one hand they demand schools reopen and on the other they demand schools close down so everyone can "home school."

Like watching a cat with a laser pen.

If you have this sort of hallucinations regularly, please see a doctor.

It's not the job of the unions to care about your kids. The job of the unions is to represent their members - the teachers. Sometimes the interests of both the teachers and the children align, i.e. class size, and classroom resources. Both children and teachers have a vested interest in smaller class sizes, and more resources.

The job of government employee unions is to permit their members to continue to GORGE at the public trough. Claiming they have any other purpose is wrong.

Bullshit. Even in private school there is indoctrination. ......

You know what goes on in every public and private school in the country? How long have you been a professional teacher?

He is not a professional anything except an idiot on the topic of education!

And yet it is your profession that passed out a high schooler with a .13 GPA....DOH!

Once again, fucktard, teachers don't make those decisions. Local school board do, you brainless fuck!

They don't? Who is responsible then, for a whole class of students who perform that badly?

Which "whole class" are you talking about?

There is a class of high schoolers in Baltimore, I assume you know where that is? Where the whole class had a GPA under 1. Look up the story. If you care about education you will be astonished.

Bing has a lot of links over it, I am sure Master Education boy will come along and scream some more insults at us because he is sooo smart!

Do you even have a clue as to who you are responding to?

Yeah, I am responding to YOU a retired jackass with a pinecone up your ass!

I told the truth, you came back with insults, I came back again to point out what happened in MY school District, you came back with more snobbery and insults.

I have been in meetings with people up to the Principals level. Working with them to figure out how to deal with my Daughter problems with standard school curricula, ended up moving her to Legacy High School where the relaxed format is better for her. You make clear you don't give a shit as you come back belittling me with your slime.

My Father taught in College for 12 years, My Godmother was a long time School Psychologist, one of my brothers retired after 30 years of teaching in region, education has been important to my family.

:(

Forum List

Back