Gitmo

Its amazing how little faith conservatives have in america, our courts, and our criminal justice system.

Clinton prosectued a bunch of terrorists. Not one was acquited. They all got their asses sent to prison for life.

If those suspected terrorists did something wrong, I can't see an american jury acquiting them.

Yeah, but ask the loonies... they'll tell you that Clinton did nothing about terrorists.

Of course, the people who got convicted under his watch will be in prison forever.

The people taken into gitmo on Bush's watch can't be legally put away, probably, because their confessions (if any) were coerced and they can't properly do chain of evidence.

Yet they want them held as "terrorists" on someone else's say so.... like we can trust anything they said for eight years, anyway.

Yeah, but ask the loonies... they'll tell you that Clinton did nothing about terrorists.

Of course, the people who got convicted under his watch will be in prison forever.

The people taken into gitmo on Bush's watch can't be legally put away, probably, because their confessions (if any) were coerced and they can't properly do chain of evidence.

Yet they want them held as "terrorists" on someone else's say so.... like we can trust anything they said for eight years, anyway.

I believe their fourth, fifth, and sixth amendment rights were violated, no?

Because its unamerican to torture people and hold them as prisoners for their whole lives without charging them with anything. Its a black stain our our moral high ground, and its a terrorist recruitment magnet.

That's what Colin Powell says anway. And Bush's Sec of Defence, Gates, now obama's Sec Def has wanted it closed to. I don't think those two dudes are marxists-lenninists

I imagine those who are suspected of being terrorists will be tried in court, either in this country or another country, and they'll go to prison.

Probably not. We do not have enough evidence that will stand up in court to convict very many of them. It isn't like we had police officers there to collect evidence. We had soldiers whose focus was not on forensic collection and evidence preservation. So, most will probably go free.

From what I've read, your friend seems to be correct.

He was actually talking on a NM state political radio show for about 3 hours,and I called in...

He was a high ranking service man,I just don't happen to remember his name..I may do an on line search..

Probably not. We do not have enough evidence that will stand up in court to convict very many of them. It isn't like we had police officers there to collect evidence. We had soldiers whose focus was not on forensic collection and evidence preservation. So, most will probably go free.

That was funny.

We've sent young black men to the electric chair, on the basis of the faulty eyewitness account of one white witness.

I really don't think an american jury is going to let any terrorist walk free. I don't think you need a Law and Order investigation.

On the other hand, if they were tortured, that makes a lot of evidence inadmissible from what I understand. I never did get why conservatives loved torture so much. It gives crappy intelligence and fucks up prosectutions. Its almost like Rove, Bush and Cheney were trying to fuck over america.

Our prosecutors kick ass. You would know! :tongue:

I ain't worred about an american jury letting a real terrorist go free. Why are cons? Are they frightened little school girls?

I know somebody, who knows somebody who spoke to somebody...yadda, yadda, yadda..

Here's where you "patriots" just don't get it: if you have conclusive evidence these folks are terrorists, I dare you to find one "leftie" who would not want that person incarcerated.

You righties are all about "freedom" and the "constitution" etc, but man, when it really comes down to it, you guys run rough-shod over justice like a Mac Truck over a bicycle..

Not a friend,an officer in the military I talked to via a NM state (as in public) political forum.

Why don't you a-holes adopt the detainees since you are so concerned?

Not a friend,an officer in the military I talked to via a NM state (as in public) political forum.

cause they are actually chicken shit, they just like to sit away over there and criticize.

"Is it used only for suspected terrorists?"

have you heard of habeas corpus?

the tower of london?

america?

Habeus corpus does not apply to prisoners of war. Therein lies the crux of the entire argument. Are they POWs? Or criminals? It is a unique situation in that they are both. I say unique because after WWII, there was no call to bring Nazi war criminals to the US and afford them US Constitutional Rights.

It is unique in that we are in a declared war against an ideal, not the standing army(ies) of (a) nation(s).

Instead of all this stupid arguing back and forth, a legal determination needs to be made as to what their actual status is. IMO, I find it ludicrous that criminals be afforded the rights guaranteed the citizens of a Nation they have sworn to destroy. All smoke and mirrors aside, there is no logic nor common sense to that line of thought.

The us civilian court system should NOT be involved in this, IMO.

Its amazing how little faith conservatives have in america, our courts, and our criminal justice system.

Clinton prosectued a bunch of terrorists. Not one was acquited. They all got their asses sent to prison for life.

If those suspected terrorists did something wrong, I can't see an american jury acquiting them.

You're really scary. We're now all the way back to the debate over whether terrorism should be treated as a breach of the peace, a crime or whether we recognize the fact that war has been declared on us by a multi-national organization that has the capacity to kill Americans by the thousands and has in fact done it.

Most of the people at Gitmo were not captured with the intent of "convicting" them of some crime. They were captured to find out what they know. With this information we can hopefully keep our people from dying by the thousands.

If we also, have an adequate amount of "evidence" that would be admissible in court, great, let's convict them. But, probably, that isn't the case.

That was funny.

We've sent young black men to the electric chair, on the basis of the faulty eyewitness account of one white witness.

I really don't think an american jury is going to let any terrorist walk free. I don't think you need a Law and Order investigation.

On the other hand, if they were tortured, that makes a lot of evidence inadmissible from what I understand. I never did get why conservatives loved torture so much. It gives crappy intelligence and fucks up prosectutions. Its almost like Rove, Bush and Cheney were trying to fuck over america.

You're kind of a dembot, so not much of what you say or think is valid enough to comment on. But, it all depends where they are tried. If you try the terrorists in the Eastern District of Virginia on the Rocket Docket, you will get a different result than if you try them in the District of Columbia.

They don't need to have been tortured for their admissions to be kept out and by extension, anything found out by their admissions as "fruit of the poisonous tree." Actually, what interrogators say about torture is that it is not as productive other means. It isn't that it doesn't work, it is that it doesn't work as well as other means. However, if the other means do not work and torture does, that is information that you would not have had otherwise.

Bush is old news now, stand on your own arguments without the Bush crutch.

No kidding. And American juries are unpredictable at best.

Prisoners of war do NOT belong in civilian court. The whole idea is so idiotic it boggles the mind.

You're kind of a dembot, so not much of what you say or think is valid enough to comment on. But, it all depends where they are tried. If you try the terrorists in the Eastern District of Virginia on the Rocket Docket, you will get a different result than if you try them in the District of Columbia.

They don't need to have been tortured for their admissions to be kept out and by extension, anything found out by their admissions as "fruit of the poisonous tree." Actually, what interrogators say about torture is that it is not as productive other means. It isn't that it doesn't work, it is that it doesn't work as well as other means. However, if the other means do not work and torture does, that is information that you would not have had otherwise.

Bush is old news now, stand on your own arguments without the Bush crutch.

Of course you want Bush to be old news. But, I have to ask, why do you continue to defend his policies with ever fiber of your being when most cons now belatedly claim they could barely stand voting for Bush? That seems rather odd to spend 8 years defending someone you could supposedly barely stomach voting for.

Gitmo is a recruiting tool for terrorists. Every expert says this. There is broad consensus outside the NeoCon community and outside of Rush Limbaugh's fan base that we should close gitmo. It helps the terroirists more than it helps us.

I'm not an expert on what to do with those people. Neither are you. Somebody's going to figure it out. If it were up to you and bush, you'd keep the place open forever so that it would be the terrorists best recruiting poster they could dream of.

I want to be smart about fighting terrorists. Cons, evidently, want to invest their energy defending Bush's legacy.

Of course you want Bush to be old news. But, I have to ask, why do you continue to defend his policies with ever fiber of your being when most cons now belatedly claim they could barely stand voting for Bush? That seems rather odd to spend 8 years defending someone you could supposedly barely stomach voting for.

Don't swallow all the nonsense you've read from the left wing blogs sonny...its only the far right that have lose their faith in Bush for not being as far right wing as they would have liked

Gitmo is a recruiting tool for terrorists. Every expert says this. There is broad consensus outside the NeoCon community and outside of Rush Limbaugh's fan base that we should close gitmo. It helps the terroirists more than it helps us.

Bullshit....your only consensus about closing Gitmo lies in the radical left

I'm not an expert on what to do with those people. Neither are you. Somebody's going to figure it out. If it were up to you and bush, you'd keep the place open forever so that it would be the terrorists best recruiting poster they could dream of.

More crap from the wingnuts....where are all these millions of recruits, other than in your imagination...The radical Mulsim recruits come from teaching hate to their children from an early age...Gitmo or no Gitmo .... Gitmo is irrelevant

I want to be smart about fighting terrorists. Cons, evidently, want to invest their energy defending Bush's legacy.

The Bush legacy will be written 50 or 80 or 100+ years from now...only the simple minded,like you, think that todays perceptions will have any lasting effect on the Bush legacy...
a

Last edited:

oh, great, so some guy claiming to be an officer on a public forum told you.

Hi, my name is Brad Pitt. Pleased to meet you. I have a friend who told me that Will Smith is gay. Believe me?

Why would I adopt a detainee?? Why are you trying to make YOUR GUY'S fuck up, my problem? I thought you right-wing neocons were all about personal responsibility...

News break, many of our courts are as corrupt as our politicians. It has not one damn thing to do with faith. It has to do with the truth about our system and the corruption that has infiltrated much of it. Oh but wait it must be okay with a Dem that a preident can lie? Sure it is fine for your boy but not for the other teams guy.

So you're not about personal responsibility?? Go figure....

BTW an 'innocent terrorist' is an oxymoron...so are they innocent or not?

in your mind they are innocent so take em and gve them shelter from the evil Americans.. hurry

oh, great, so some guy claiming to be an officer on a public forum told you.

Hi, my name is Brad Pitt. Pleased to meet you. I have a friend who told me that Will Smith is gay. Believe me?

Why would I adopt a detainee?? Why are you trying to make YOUR GUY'S fuck up, my problem? I thought you right-wing neocons were all about personal responsibility...

you made it yer problem when you stepped forward and offered advice. We are giving you a chance to be humanitarian.

Forum List

Back