French Are "Resenting" America's Leadership On Tsunami Relief

j07950 said:
I don't think we do...I think I've said that before...that wasn't even the topic to begin with...it kind of escalated that way...such a shame
That was sarcasm for PE...not directed to you particularly. It seems that every time there is a discussion with PE involved, we end up hearing how inferior the US is to France.

"WHO ranked the French health care system number one among the 191 member countries surveyed, stating that it provides “the best overall health care”. Judging took into consideration five criteria: overall level of health within a population; health inequalities within a population (how much economic status affects health); health system responsiveness (patient satisfaction); responsiveness within the population (how well people in various economic groups are served); and distribution of costs (who foots the bill).

One of the key takeaways is that wealth does not always ensure success. The U.S. health system, for example, spends a higher portion of its gross domestic product than any other country, but ranks only 37th out of 191. The United Kingdom, which spends just 6% of GDP on health services, ranks 18th. And several small countries – San Marino, Andorra, Malta and Singapore – are rated close behind second-placed Italy.

Emphasising that “big isn’t always better”, editor-in-chief of the report, Dr Philip Musgrove, said that “it isn’t just how much you invest in total, or where you put facilities geographically. It’s the balance among inputs that counts – for example, you have to have the right number of nurses per doctor”.

HOW HEALTHY REALLY

Has the French system struck that delicate balance? Health coverage for virtually the entire resident population is a main feature of this relatively complex system. In its recent Economic Survey of France, OECD reports that roughly 75% of total health spending is publicly funded, 10% is paid for by supplementary insurance (mostly mutual insurers), and the remaining portion is paid for directly by patients. Supplementary insurance has expanded greatly over the past decades to eliminate co-payments and now covers about 80% of the population.

To bridge the coverage gap even further, the state introduced universal health insurance in January 2000. The plan provides basic coverage to all legal residents, regardless of their employment status. In addition, it offers free supplementary coverage to people who earn less than FF 3,500 per month per person. The plan therefore provides health care to those that were previously deprived or badly insured, including persons in unstable employment situations, or foreigners waiting for official residency papers.

The performance of the system is also judged by the health of its population. France ranks high in terms of overall health and mortality figures. In 1997, female life expectancy at birth (82.3 years) was second only to Japan. Old-age disability is on a marked downward trend, particularly for men, in line with trends in the U.S. and Japan. The same is true for infant mortality, which is just above the very low levels in Scandinavian countries.

Clearly the French system is good, but it is also expensive. Health spending in France as a percentage of GDP far outstrips the average for OECD countries. Facing an ageing population with growing health care needs and pressure to bring spending under control, the French system has already begun exploring ways to reform itself. But there is risk in tampering with a system that people like. According to Health Economics, roughly 66% of the population reports being fairly satisfied with the system, compared with 40% in the United Kingdom and just 20% in Italy. The question is, if costs must be brought under control, can the aspects that make the French system so popular – quality of care, freedom of choice, and equality of access - be safeguarded?"

CSM said:
Tell you what, why dont you get the French government to come over to the US and provide some care for us poor unfortunate Americans?
Don't think you need to...Since 1998 when I was still in the US and the health care was quiet bad you've done really good so I think you're going in the right direction...it should get better and like no1tovote4 the costs is something that will hopefully get worked on...

j07950 said:
Don't think you need to...Since 1998 when I was still in the US and the health care was quiet bad you've done really good so I think you're going in the right direction...it should get better and like no1tovote4 the costs is something that will hopefully get worked on...

If you depend on you govt for your health you will forget how to take care of yourselves. If the government goes broke, so does your health !

CSM said:
That was sarcasm for PE...not directed to you particularly. It seems that every time there is a discussion with PE involved, we end up hearing how inferior the US is to France.
Yeah I know...don't know if that is his aim...maybee he's just not expressing himself correctly...It's a hard thing to do in english to express yourself without chocking people or missinterpreting what your trying to say ...

j07950 said:
I guess what makes me so ...testy...is the fact that you guys make it sound like we have people keeling over in the streets. Our health costs are indeed high, but very few countries put as much effort into medical research as the US does, which goes a long way towards keeping costs down. Also, the European countries are far smaller than the US geographically and with samller populations. At first glance that would seem not to matter, but when you consider the cost of transporting supplies, building enough facilities, and accomodating the number of people, the geographic size and number of patients does matter.

j07950 said:
Yeah I know...don't know if that is his aim...maybee he's just not expressing himself correctly...It's a hard thing to do in english to express yourself without chocking people or missinterpreting what your trying to say ...
Maybe the French government should be helping him with that problem too! :)

dilloduck said:
If you depend on you govt for your health you will forget how to take care of yourselves. If the government goes broke, so does your health !
Our government is already broke...that doesn't mean we aren't taken care of...things are being done to reduce costs but without cutting the quality and access to health care...hopefully it will be fixed but health is one of the most important thing to the government here.

j07950 said:
Our government is already broke...that doesn't mean we aren't taken care of...things are being done to reduce costs but without cutting the quality and access to health care...hopefully it will be fixed but health is one of the most important thing to the government here.

Use some of that money Chirac stole to supplement your income

CSM said:
I guess what makes me so ...testy...is the fact that you guys make it sound like we have people keeling over in the streets. Our health costs are indeed high, but very few countries put as much effort into medical research as the US does, which goes a long way towards keeping costs down. Also, the European countries are far smaller than the US geographically and with samller populations. At first glance that would seem not to matter, but when you consider the cost of transporting supplies, building enough facilities, and accomodating the number of people, the geographic size and number of patients does matter.
I totally agree with what you're saying, it obviously is more complex, but states have a lot of power so maybee this should be put into the hands of the states but with the same quality of care and coverage. But like I said I know i'ts improved a lot and this takes time, we can't expect this thing to be solved overnight

dilloduck said:
Use some of that money Chirac stole to supplement your income
Don't really understand what you're saying. But if we cut back health care and get more income then it's the same thing, we'll be paying more for our health care.

CSM, be fair :
I don't believe that France is better than USA, who cares ?
but you're always bashing us and France, it can be very irritating, above all when your statements are wrong.

You spend the most part of your time when i'me here to bashing France.
(not only you, of course, and maybe you less than the others, to be fair)

My goal isd not to bashing USA, it would be stupid.
But i would like to make you understand some things about France. You believe wrong things about France, like I believe wrog things about USA. you try to make me involve, then i will be in the truth.
Same aim for me.

Dillo : I don't think that a good health care system give a relieved population...

Oh I see what you're getting at...not again...think we've talked about this enough and again France isn't the only one involved...talk about the other countries too...

Wow, I think this is one of the better discussions we have had on the board! I might nominate this thread as the Thread of the Month next month.

j07950 said:
Don't really understand what you're saying. But if we cut back health care and get more income then it's the same thing, we'll be paying more for our health care.

Simple---your system is dependent of the health of the state-----MY health care is dependent on me !

dilloduck said:
Simple---your system is dependent of the health of the state-----MY health care is dependent on me !
Like I said before the state of our state isn't great financially but this doesn't hurt our health care...

dilloduck said:
So if you loose your job you're in deep shit right? It's a lot of responsibility...

no1tovote4 said:
Wow, I think this is one of the better discussions we have had on the board! I might nominate this thread as the Thread of the Month next month.
I agree...it has been good...as long as we stay away from which country is better, we seem to have some pretty good discussions.

Forum List

Back