French Are "Resenting" America's Leadership On Tsunami Relief

I've just read all the articles, the one you linked and the french ones...and the article "The Tsunami Disaster As Seen From Le Monde" is writen from the authors point of view and doesn't reflect at all what Le Monde was saying. Le Monde was saying that Indonesians where afraid of the US because the war in Irak is very unpopular in indonesia but that this was only a humanitarian mission. Nowhere does it use sarcasm and it surely doesn't imply anything like preparation of another oppressive anti-Muslim adventure. In the first article Le Monde states that the US has taken the lead in the humanitarian effort and that it has accepted coordination from the UN, it doesn't imply anywhere that France wants a bigger role nor anything about the US finally working with the UN.
In the next article Le Monde is praising all the efforts put forth by the US in the Humanitarian effort and that eventhough indonesians doubt that this intervention is uninterested the US is doing everything it can to prove them wrong. Nowhere does it state that "we" the french think this humanitarian effort is uninterested. We actually praise everything you've been doing overthere.
This is only an Anti-French article.

j07950 said:
I've just read all the articles, the one you linked and the french ones...and the article "The Tsunami Disaster As Seen From Le Monde" is writen from the authors point of view and doesn't reflect at all what Le Monde was saying. Le Monde was saying that Indonesians where afraid of the US because the war in Irak is very unpopular in indonesia but that this was only a humanitarian mission. Nowhere does it use sarcasm and it surely doesn't imply anything like preparation of another oppressive anti-Muslim adventure. In the first article Le Monde states that the US has taken the lead in the humanitarian effort and that it has accepted coordination from the UN, it doesn't imply anywhere that France wants a bigger role nor anything about the US finally working with the UN.
In the next article Le Monde is praising all the efforts put forth by the US in the Humanitarian effort and that eventhough indonesians doubt that this intervention is uninterested the US is doing everything it can to prove them wrong. Nowhere does it state that "we" the french think this humanitarian effort is uninterested. We actually praise everything you've been doing overthere.

Not according to Padisha Emperor. He is definitely French and posts on the site how much he thinks we aren't doing enough. So far from what we have heard from the two french posters on the board only 50% of them have anything good to say even about our efforts in Tsunami relief.

j07950 said:

I agree...it is indeed anti French. Perhaps now you understand why many on this board feel the way they do. There is a constant barrage of anti US material being presented (even some by posters like yourself) and often presented as some kind of fact, when most of the time it is merely opinion. Often such "anti" articles are merely spiteful rhetoric which is why you will often get demands for proof. An opinion piece is not proof for either side of an argument.

Further, when such a debate gathers momentum, people get frustrated and then the whole debate degenerates into name calling, etc. When it gets to that point in the discussion is usually when I will abstain from posting....

Anyway, it is understandable that many Indonesians would view US aid as some kind of underhanded scheme; the world media has done it's best to make the US appear as the great Satan, and not a few Muslim leaders have stated the same with great publicity. That does not mean however, that such a plan by the US is real or that the allegations are true.

no1tovote4 said:
Not according to Padisha Emperor. He is definitely French and posts on the site how much he thinks we aren't doing enough. So far from what we have heard from the two french posters on the board only 50% of them have anything good to say even about our efforts in Tsunami relief.
I think you missunderstood him in the beginning than he derailed completely off topic...Which is that everyone all over the globe is doing it's best. Even one of the poorest crountry in the world which is Timore I think donated 50,000 dollars which is huge for them, I saw that on CNN last night.
Don't believe everything that is written, even the press...You say yourself that some press in the US is anti-bush and anti-america so it is a possibility elsewhere. But as a whole no one is undermining your efforts in Asia, that is plain stupid to do so.

j07950 said:
everyone all over the globe is doing it's best. . .

I do not at all agree with this portion of your post. The Islamic countries of the ME are donating measly amounts. Saudi Arabia, with its billions in oil revenues, is only donating a paltry $10 million. I would not call that "doing their best".

j07950 said:
I think you missunderstood him in the beginning than he derailed completely off topic...Which is that everyone all over the globe is doing it's best. Even one of the poorest crountry in the world which is Timore I think donated 50,000 dollars which is huge for them, I saw that on CNN last night.
Don't believe everything that is written, even the press...You say yourself that some press in the US is anti-bush and anti-america so it is a possibility elsewhere. But as a whole no one is undermining your efforts in Asia, that is plain stupid to do so.

That plus the fact that PE does not write English well...not his fault of course, but it gets even worse when he gets frustrated. I have often had to reread his posts many times to understand what he is trying to say. It does not help when a poster gets sidetracked into the trading insults game.

freeandfun1 said:
I do not at all agree with this portion of your post. The Islamic countries of the ME are donating measly amounts. Saudi Arabia, with its billions in oil revenues, is only donating a paltry $10 million. I would not call that "doing their best".
Yeah I heard that on CNN too...hopefully they will be donating more in the near future. The US went from 35 to 350 million dollars in relief money, hopefully those countries will do the same.

j07950 said:
Yeah I heard that on CNN too...hopefully they will be donating more in the near future. The US went from 35 to 350 million dollars in relief money, hopefully those countries will do the same.

True, but keep our going from $35 to $350 in perspective.

Immediately we offered $15 million which was to be used to evaluate the situation so that we could determine the extent of the damage. We also immediately deployed 11 Naval vessels to the region. That is not at all cheap to do. Too many are trying to say that we offered only $15 million cuz we are cheap. No, we initially offered $15 million because we really didn't know the extent of the damage.

The Muslim nations will not donate much and this is why I think that is so.

In Islam, Muslims adhere strongly to the idea that everything that happens is "G-d's will". Therefore, they see this as being G-d's will and who are they to interfere?

freeandfun1 said:
...The Muslim nations will not donate much and this is why I think that is so.

In Islam, Muslims adhere strongly to the idea that everything that happens is "G-d's will". Therefore, they see this as being G-d's will and who are they to interfere?
There may be some truth to that but I suspect there are other reasons as well. Many of the victims that would be helped by donations are not Muslim, therefore, some in the Arab world would view such aid as helping the infidel and of course be publicized as reason for overthrowing any particular Muslim government. I suspect Saudi Arabi would be very susceptable to such propaganda.

freeandfun1 said:
True, but keep our going from $35 to $350 in perspective.

Immediately we offered $15 million which was to be used to evaluate the situation so that we could determine the extent of the damage. We also immediately deployed 11 Naval vessels to the region. That is not at all cheap to do. Too many are trying to say that we offered only $15 million cuz we are cheap. No, we initially offered $15 million because we really didn't know the extent of the damage.

The Muslim nations will not donate much and this is why I think that is so.

Yeah I know...it's also why france offered only a million to begin with because like the US it wasn't aware of how bad it was.
What you are saying about the muslims is true but they are also known for giving and sharing between themselves and as indonesians are mostly muslims there is still a chance.

no1tovote4 said:
Awwwwwww, poor, poor France. Perhaps we can let them pretend they are helping to lead. Give one a bullhorn and stand him in the corner.

:cof:

I talked to a Frenchie in a Yahoo chatroom a few weeks ago. He thought that the Apollo moon landings were fake!!! :cof: Spewed Pepsi all over the computer.

j07950 said:
Yeah I know...it's also why france offered only a million to begin with because like the US it wasn't aware of how bad it was.
What you are saying about the muslims is true but they are also known for giving and sharing between themselves and as indonesians are mostly muslims there is still a chance.

Yes, the Indonesians are Muslim but "Insha Allah" still applies.

I was in Saudi Arabia once and there was a really bad auto accident between two cars driven by locals. The one man clearly was at fault but he was not charged as the "Religious" Police decried that the auto accident was "the will of G-d". I clearly recall a Saudi telling me, "Insha Allah".

TheEnemyWithin said:
I talked to a Frenchie in a Yahoo chatroom a few weeks ago. He thought that the Apollo moon landings were fake!!! :cof: Spewed Pepsi all over the computer.
Well we're not going to get into this debate. I have my doubts but then again I don't know enough. Funny enough the first time I saw anything about the theory of it being fake it was in the US. But who cares really.

freeandfun1 said:
Yes, the Indonesians are Muslim but "Insha Allah" still applies.

I was in Saudi Arabia once and there was a really bad auto accident between two cars driven by locals. The one man clearly was at fault but he was not charged as the "Religious" Police decried that the auto accident was "the will of G-d". I clearly recall a Saudi telling me, "Insha Allah".

Really?! Wow I didn't know it was this bad...well let's still hope...

j07950 said:
Well we're not going to get into this debate. I have my doubts but then again I don't know enough. Funny enough the first time I saw anything about the theory of it being fake it was in the US. But who cares really.

I agree, who cares? I even think it may have been faked. However, I also keep in mind the times. We were in a cold war with the Soviets and we wanted them and the world to think we had a leg up on em. So what? If it were faked, it was just part of our overall disinformation campaign during that era.

freeandfun1 said:
I agree, who cares? I even think it may have been faked. However, I also keep in mind the times. We were in a cold war with the Soviets and we wanted them and the world to think we had a leg up on em. So what? If it were faked, it was just part of our overall disinformation campaign during that era.
Yup agree with you...I'd still like to believe it did happen though, it would be so nice to be totally sure.

j07950 said:
Yup agree with you...I'd still like to believe it did happen though, it would be so nice to be totally sure.

Short of going to the moon and seeing the rovers and other equipment for yourself, what would be acceptable proof for you?

CSM said:
Short of going to the moon and seeing the rovers and other equipment for yourself, what would be acceptable proof for you?
I don't know...it's hard to say. But there are proofs that indicate that it could have been faked. Maybee a lie detector hooked up to the astronauts who went...
No I don't think we'll ever be sure until someone goes again, with technologie nowadays it would be hard to fake it if indeed it was faked.

Forum List

Back