Flying the US Flag Upside Down

It's not just a flag. That flag represents the people of the United States. That flag represents a free country. That flag represents our military and strength.

If you really want to protest the US and all that we stand for, the best way to do that is move to another country.
Well, now, I disagree with that logic, Ray. You make America worse off when you banish people do to peaceful protests. Even these protests that I find to be beyond the pale of acceptable behavior, at least militarily. If you follow your logic to its end, then the Native Americans would be justified in asking us to leave. In your case, perhaps it would be the Hurons... Go Tribe!

Well if people have the right to express their anger using our flag, then certainly I have the right to believe they are anti-American in doing so.

There are all kinds of ways to protest. You can protest here on USMB, you can protest by writing an opinion piece to your newspaper, you can protest on Facebook, you can protest on the sidewalks of our cities, there are all kinds of ways to protest. So why do liberals choose the type of protest to offend the most American people? Because they are nothing but troublemakers.

If I want to protest Target stores, I don't shop at Target stores. If I want to protest the NFL, I don't watch the NFL. If somebody wants to protest the United States, then move out of the United States. Put your money where your mouth is I always say.

That's fair. I just don't think this particular form of protest is limited to liberals. I've seen it on both sides recently and it makes me sick no matter who is doing it.

Then I must have missed something because I never seen anybody on the right desecrate our flag, and if they did, I will say the same thing about them.

Yeah, I watch FOX News (I like Chris Wallace) and they really flog the "unhinged liberals are desecrating our flag" angle. But it's going on both sides and has been in my view since 2000 when I saw Dubya supporters doing it. I was and continue to be enraged.

Upside-Down Flags Mark Conservative Anger Over Obama

Okay, you found one guy. But again, I hold the same opinion about him as I do with anybody who disrespects our flag on our side or theirs.

Well, now, I disagree with that logic, Ray. You make America worse off when you banish people do to peaceful protests. Even these protests that I find to be beyond the pale of acceptable behavior, at least militarily. If you follow your logic to its end, then the Native Americans would be justified in asking us to leave. In your case, perhaps it would be the Hurons... Go Tribe!

Well if people have the right to express their anger using our flag, then certainly I have the right to believe they are anti-American in doing so.

There are all kinds of ways to protest. You can protest here on USMB, you can protest by writing an opinion piece to your newspaper, you can protest on Facebook, you can protest on the sidewalks of our cities, there are all kinds of ways to protest. So why do liberals choose the type of protest to offend the most American people? Because they are nothing but troublemakers.

If I want to protest Target stores, I don't shop at Target stores. If I want to protest the NFL, I don't watch the NFL. If somebody wants to protest the United States, then move out of the United States. Put your money where your mouth is I always say.

That's fair. I just don't think this particular form of protest is limited to liberals. I've seen it on both sides recently and it makes me sick no matter who is doing it.

Then I must have missed something because I never seen anybody on the right desecrate our flag, and if they did, I will say the same thing about them.

Yeah, I watch FOX News (I like Chris Wallace) and they really flog the "unhinged liberals are desecrating our flag" angle. But it's going on both sides and has been in my view since 2000 when I saw Dubya supporters doing it. I was and continue to be enraged.

Okay, you found one guy. But again, I hold the same opinion about him as I do with anybody who disrespects our flag on our side or theirs.

I'm not going to do a search for you. I remember it distinctly in 2000 and I have seen stories elsewhere ever since. And I'm not going to do one of those Original Tree posts with a thousand stupid links. If you believe it's only liberals doing it, fine.

I'm not going to do a search for you. I remember it distinctly in 2000 and I have seen stories elsewhere ever since. And I'm not going to do one of those Original Tree posts with a thousand stupid links. If you believe it's only liberals doing it, fine.

I didn't say that, what I did say is I don't ever recall seeing it is all.

Sometimes freedom of speech can be a royal pain in the ass. This upside down flag thing goes hand in hand with the NFL players refusing to stand when the national anthem is played. There's a lot of things wrong with this country, past and present, no doubt about that. But there's a lot of good things about this country too. And at least it's a peaceful protest, nobody is getting hurt or property destroyed.

Maybe, but what gets me is every time liberals get upset, they do something un-American. Oh, they will argue with you until next year that what they are doing is not anti-American, but it is.

I think it's just the fact that the nature of a liberal is to be a trouble maker.

One man's trouble-maker could be another man's patriot. I'm sure many people in England thought the colonists in America were trouble-makers, even some of our own people thought that. Depends on your point of view I guess; many of these 'liberals' are in fact trouble-makers, I'm sure of that. Maybe some are even paid trouble-makers, bused in to stir up trouble and start a disturbance or a fight to get on the TV news cycle. They're not really liberals, they're just hoodlums. But a lot of them are trying to address what they see as social injustice, seeking to right past wrongs and gain possible redress or change. I get it; don't much like it but I get it, sometimes talking gets you nothing so you resort to more drastic action to draw attention to your cause. Not sure that choice works out all that well though, for the most part all I see is a country and people that are more divided than before. All that has really been accomplished is driving up the fear and animosity.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you disagree with the direction of our country, we created ways to change it.

If you can't change anything, it means you are in the minority. It means that the majority happen to like the way certain issues are dealt with.

For instance I stand by our police. I think they should be allowed to use deadly force to subdue a person that they believe threatens their safety or life. Most Americans feel the same way. Disrespecting our flag or anthem is only trying to cause a problem while insulting most people in the country.

Sure, all that is true but people still have a right to disagree with what the majority is doing and they have a right to say so. Unfortunately, many of them in the minority choose to exercise that right to speech in a particularly disrespectful manner that the rest of us don't like. Seems to be increasingly disrespectful recently, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few elections. Will the Democrats pay a price at the ballot box? Too bad the GOP is doing such a shitty job of governance now that they've got control of Congress and the White house, maybe they'll pay a price for malfeasance. Man, we need a 3rd choice right now.

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

It's what it symbolizes, always has. My father a 26 year vetetan of the US Navy taught me that
Your father was taught differently than I.

ITHE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Gawd you're stupid. It also symbolizes a nation in distress.

No. That is what you and others claim. It is not true and has never been true. This nation is not in distress or the order would have been given to fly the flag upside down.

Why do some conservatives try to out-stupid liberals?

Good gawd another dip shit, people fly it to symbolize a nation in distress. They have for decades

Ya done went and out "stupided" yourself.

I didn't say that, what I did say is I don't ever recall seeing it is all.
That's cool. Sounds like we've seen different things. No prob.

No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

It's what it symbolizes, always has. My father a 26 year vetetan of the US Navy taught me that

Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

No. That is what you and others claim. It is not true and has never been true. This nation is not in distress or the order would have been given to fly the flag upside down.

Good gawd another dip shit, people fly it to symbolize a nation in distress. They have for decades

They have been wrong for decades. Did you fall, hit your head, suffer a traumatic brain injury and wake up as a liberal?

See a doctor!

Title 4, Chapter 1

Once again your liberal tendencies bubble to the surface. Rock is correct. This is the federal government talking, not your father (whose service I respect):

Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.[/QUOTE]

Title 4, Chapter 1

They have been wrong for decades. Did you fall, hit your head, suffer a traumatic brain injury and wake up as a liberal?

See a doctor!

Listen very carefully you stupid son of a bitch, I never said I agreed with it or disagreed with it, I simply said why some people fly it upside down. Now stfu until you get caught up, asshole

in the 70's it happened.I now first hand to protest Nixon and Vietnam.
I would do it again too

Sometimes freedom of speech can be a royal pain in the ass. This upside down flag thing goes hand in hand with the NFL players refusing to stand when the national anthem is played. There's a lot of things wrong with this country, past and present, no doubt about that. But there's a lot of good things about this country too. And at least it's a peaceful protest, nobody is getting hurt or property destroyed.

Maybe, but what gets me is every time liberals get upset, they do something un-American. Oh, they will argue with you until next year that what they are doing is not anti-American, but it is.

I think it's just the fact that the nature of a liberal is to be a trouble maker.

One man's trouble-maker could be another man's patriot. I'm sure many people in England thought the colonists in America were trouble-makers, even some of our own people thought that. Depends on your point of view I guess; many of these 'liberals' are in fact trouble-makers, I'm sure of that. Maybe some are even paid trouble-makers, bused in to stir up trouble and start a disturbance or a fight to get on the TV news cycle. They're not really liberals, they're just hoodlums. But a lot of them are trying to address what they see as social injustice, seeking to right past wrongs and gain possible redress or change. I get it; don't much like it but I get it, sometimes talking gets you nothing so you resort to more drastic action to draw attention to your cause. Not sure that choice works out all that well though, for the most part all I see is a country and people that are more divided than before. All that has really been accomplished is driving up the fear and animosity.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you disagree with the direction of our country, we created ways to change it.

If you can't change anything, it means you are in the minority. It means that the majority happen to like the way certain issues are dealt with.

For instance I stand by our police. I think they should be allowed to use deadly force to subdue a person that they believe threatens their safety or life. Most Americans feel the same way. Disrespecting our flag or anthem is only trying to cause a problem while insulting most people in the country.

Sure, all that is true but people still have a right to disagree with what the majority is doing and they have a right to say so. Unfortunately, many of them in the minority choose to exercise that right to speech in a particularly disrespectful manner that the rest of us don't like. Seems to be increasingly disrespectful recently, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few elections. Will the Democrats pay a price at the ballot box? Too bad the GOP is doing such a shitty job of governance now that they've got control of Congress and the White house, maybe they'll pay a price for malfeasance. Man, we need a 3rd choice right now.

I happen to personally believe this is the Republican parties last shot. If they play the same games they've always played, it may be time for the conservatives to leave the party and start our own.

We sent them a message by nominating Trump and then ushering him into the White House. If they don't want to listen after that, then there is nothing they'll listen to.

I hope it doesn't turn out that way. I hope McCain gets deathly ill and can't vote, and we finally repeal Commie Care, and I don't care what's in it's place afterwards. I hope we see real tax reform, defunding of all liberal organizations, and start repaying the debt. I hope we see a wall even if it means allowing the Democrats to play their political games by shutting down the government. I hope we see all these things and more.

Title 4, Chapter 1

Once again your liberal tendencies bubble to the surface. Rock is correct. This is the federal government talking, not your father (whose service I respect):

Title 4, Chapter 1

[/QUOTE]

OMFG THINK!!!....I SAID people do it to symbolize a nation in distress. You and Rock are too freaking stupid to grasp it. They have for like....well decades

Title 4, Chapter 1

Title 4, Chapter 1

OMFG THINK!!!....I SAID people do it to symbolize a nation in distress. You and Rock are too freaking stupid to grasp it. They have for like....well decades[/QUOTE]

I can say that SassyIrishLass is a beautiful woman for decades, but if you have a face that makes a train take a dirt road, that doesn't make it right!

You claim it has been done for decades. I have yet to see any indication of that being true except the occasional appearance in a lefttard protest.

Be offended all you want, It's what conservatives do best.

Yeah, it's what we do best. I guess that's why we are going all over America destroying statues--because it's what we do best......
You people have it all in a political sense but you still cannot do a damned thing except whine. As to the memorials we are again talking about symbols vs. what those symbols mean. If those memorials to the confederacy ever meant anything positive it has been erased by the relative few who still treasure them. In the here and now those old memorials mean nothing more than what those who want to keep them around want them to mean. Think what the swastika used to mean before the nazis, it is now irretrievably a symbol of evil rather than the good luck symbol it used to be.

Back to the topic. What does the flag mean to many these days simply because horrible people are wrapping their fascism in it?

-----biig surprise -----I AGREE------I have seen upside down flags too and am HORRIFIED------who DA FLUCK---do those idiots
think they are-----reminds me of the 60s-----bunch of jerks running around displaying their vacuity and inflated egos
I honestly don't remember it happening in the sixties but I'm sure it probably did. I just missed it. But I know some guys who served in Hue in the sixties who raised it.

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 11.57.57 AM.png

Title 4, Chapter 1

OMFG THINK!!!....I SAID people do it to symbolize a nation in distress. You and Rock are too freaking stupid to grasp it. They have for like....well decades

I can say that SassyIrishLass is a beautiful woman for decades, but if you have a face that makes a train take a dirt road, that doesn't make it right!

You claim it has been done for decades. I have yet to see any indication of that being true except the occasional appearance in a lefttard protest.[/QUOTE]

Good greif, why do you think I take your crap serious? Our 14 year old twins would slay you in debate...they make it a habit of eating educators alive...a public fool like you would be child's play to them

You didn't understand what was being said and now you're back pedaling, It's noticed

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

What do you vets think?

I don't believe there is a growing acceptance for doing this. They have, however, the right to do this and I disagree with them 1000 percent.

There is a bright side to this. When they advertise just how stupid they are with a stunt like this, it saves us all the trouble of trying to figure out who they really are. Time is precious, don't you know.

Title 4, Chapter 1

Title 4, Chapter 1

OMFG THINK!!!....I SAID people do it to symbolize a nation in distress. You and Rock are too freaking stupid to grasp it. They have for like....well decades[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinion. Noted. I'm not sure we have much to talk about, you and I.

Forum List

Back