Flying the US Flag Upside Down

D

Dim Bulb

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?

Last edited by a moderator:
-----biig surprise -----I AGREE------I have seen upside down flags too and am HORRIFIED------who DA FLUCK---do those idiots
think they are-----reminds me of the 60s-----bunch of jerks running around displaying their vacuity and inflated egos

-----biig surprise -----I AGREE------I have seen upside down flags too and am HORRIFIED------who DA FLUCK---do those idiots
think they are-----reminds me of the 60s-----bunch of jerks running around displaying their vacuity and inflated egos
I honestly don't remember it happening in the sixties but I'm sure it probably did. I just missed it. But I know some guys who served in Hue in the sixties who raised it.

I honestly don't remember it happening in the sixties but I'm sure it probably did. I just missed it. But I know some guys who served in Hue in the sixties who raised it.

I remember flag burnings in the 60s-----but not the upside down thing------they probably did not know about that
symbol thru the marijuana and LSD

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?

The flag code is not enforceable, criminal law.

It's possible these people consider the country to be in "dire distress" and that's why they are holding the flag upside down? :dunno:

Because idiots do idiotic things to attract attention.
You want irony, what is more ironic than an illegal immigrant wanting amnesty...while carrying a Mexican flag???
Or a college student at a graduation at an American university, whose tuition was paid for by American grants/American tax payers - carrying a Mexican flag during the ceremony and dumb asses applauding her?

Idiots will always be idiots. Pay no attention to them, it is what they want.

Butt-hurt seditious, un-American setting of new records for partisan hate.

Through the riots, arson, looting, physical assaults, threats against lives, calls for military coups, calls for assassinations, attempts to carry out those assassinations, embrace and support for self-proclaimed violent fascist anarchist Antifa, the Obama administration politically-motivated crimes, protecting a criminal who jeopardized our national security, and now flying the US flag - which they have claimed is racist and needs to be abandoned ... Democrats, seething with hatred, have stooped to lower and lower despicable depths because of their inability to accept the losing outcome of another election.

Title 4, Chapter 1

What do you vets think?

The old white left wing bigots in that picture are dying off so the Democratic Party is replacing them with violent Jihadist and racist Aztlan Nationalist.

And BTW - if at some point in any of these idiots lives the shit hits the fan...they will be begging for the military to help them.
I particularly LOVE the photos of police officers helping an injured snowflake protester and they openly accept that help...now that is a thing of beauty.

Because idiots do idiotic things to attract attention.
You want irony, what is more ironic than an illegal immigrant wanting amnesty...while carrying a Mexican flag???
Or a college student at a graduation at an American university, whose tuition was paid for by American grants/American tax payers - carrying a Mexican flag during the ceremony and dumb asses applauding her?

Idiots will always be idiots. Pay no attention to them, it is what they want.
During the 1st 'Illegal March' these criminals carried signs stating they hated the US, declaing they did not want annesty but wanted California instead.

Let's be honest - if we gave them California it would not be long before it would become a drug cartel / gang-infested shit-hole like the place they left, and they would be illegally moving east again to escape the new mess they made.

Last edited:
Butt-hurt seditious, un-American setting of new records for partisan hate.

Through the riots, arson, looting, physical assaults, threats against lives, calls for military coups, calls for assassinations, attempts to carry out those assassinations, embrace and support for self-proclaimed violent fascist anarchist Antifa, the Obama administration politically-motivated crimes, protecting a criminal who jeopardized our national security, and now flying the US flag - which they have claimed is racist and needs to be abandoned ... Democrats, seething with hatred, have stooped to lower and lower despicable depths because of their inability to accept the losing outcome of another election.
Would it be impolite to point out that all Americans are partaking of this particularly irritating display? On both sides? Started in 2000 at the recount riot, up to today (at least as far as I've seen). So the "butt hurt seditious, un American setting of new records" appears to be happening, at least with respect to this display, on both sides.

A wrong is a wrong, no matter who commits it.

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

I remember flag burnings in the 60s-----but not the upside down thing------they probably did not know about that
symbol thru the marijuana and LSD
Me too. But then I don't remember a whole lot about the Sixties... maybe I was an irresponsible youth at the time. :)

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

It's what it symbolizes, always has. My father a 26 year vetetan of the US Navy taught me that

Let them fly the US Flag upside down and disrespect it. It is their right of free speech. Walk up to those same people and light a Mexican flag on fire and they will lose their shit over you being disrespectful and hateful.

New Topics

Forum List

Back