Flying the US Flag Upside Down

What makes our flag so great is that it represents a country where you are allowed to protest against the flag

That is what freedom is all about

It's not just a flag. That flag represents the people of the United States. That flag represents a free country. That flag represents our military and strength.

If you really want to protest the US and all that we stand for, the best way to do that is move to another country.

What makes our flag so great is that it represents a country where you are allowed to protest against the flag

But this is not a protest against the flag. It is the use of the flag to convey a message that "our fort is in peril we need help immediately." Even if you say symbolically that the protestors are saying "our country is in peril..." then you are WAYYYYY overstating the condition. Selling wolf tickets and all that.
It has always been a form of protest

It is peaceful and makes a statement. The protestors are sending an SOS.....it is their right
Sounds like we disagree. I can live with that.

It's not just a flag. That flag represents the people of the United States. That flag represents a free country. That flag represents our military and strength.

If you really want to protest the US and all that we stand for, the best way to do that is move to another country.
Well, now, I disagree with that logic, Ray. You make America worse off when you banish people do to peaceful protests. Even these protests that I find to be beyond the pale of acceptable behavior, at least militarily. If you follow your logic to its end, then the Native Americans would be justified in asking us to leave. In your case, perhaps it would be the Hurons... Go Tribe!

Sometimes freedom of speech can be a royal pain in the ass. This upside down flag thing goes hand in hand with the NFL players refusing to stand when the national anthem is played. There's a lot of things wrong with this country, past and present, no doubt about that. But there's a lot of good things about this country too. And at least it's a peaceful protest, nobody is getting hurt or property destroyed.

Maybe, but what gets me is every time liberals get upset, they do something un-American. Oh, they will argue with you until next year that what they are doing is not anti-American, but it is.

I think it's just the fact that the nature of a liberal is to be a trouble maker.
The first time I saw this particular form of protest were Dubya supporters in Palm Beach during the 2000 recount "bourgeois riot."

Speaking of the flag, there is a growing acceptance of flying the flag upside down as a protest. This is reprehensible. For those of you who served in the military, you know that this has a very special meaning, and although I generally support pretty much any lawful and peaceful protest, the first time I saw this (2000 when Bush supporters in Palm Beach were clamoring outside of the vote count place some people were holding upside down flags) I nearly jumped out of my freaking chair.

Now it is more accepted as a protest against President Trump. I see it everywhere and it is incredibly irritating. I don't particularly care for the President, but flying the flag upside down is to me, a bridge too far. There is even a law about it, a federal law (more like a code of conduct, really). Why wasn't it enforced in 2000 and why is it not enforced now? Again, I'm all for free speech, but you don't have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

What do you vets think?
Most of these idiots were dropping acid in the 60s.

LOL, how quickly you people went from anti-government militia types to nationalist ideologues. If anyone is actually flying the flag upside-down it is in the same spirit you people used to fly the Gadsden flag (Don't tread on me) before you switched to being pro-government dupes.

Don't like it(.) Respect the flag even if you do not respect the President.

Well, now, I disagree with that logic, Ray. You make America worse off when you banish people do to peaceful protests. Even these protests that I find to be beyond the pale of acceptable behavior, at least militarily. If you follow your logic to its end, then the Native Americans would be justified in asking us to leave. In your case, perhaps it would be the Hurons... Go Tribe!

Well if people have the right to express their anger using our flag, then certainly I have the right to believe they are anti-American in doing so.

There are all kinds of ways to protest. You can protest here on USMB, you can protest by writing an opinion piece to your newspaper, you can protest on Facebook, you can protest on the sidewalks of our cities, there are all kinds of ways to protest. So why do liberals choose the type of protest to offend the most American people? Because they are nothing but troublemakers.

If I want to protest Target stores, I don't shop at Target stores. If I want to protest the NFL, I don't watch the NFL. If somebody wants to protest the United States, then move out of the United States. Put your money where your mouth is I always say.

Well if people have the right to express their anger using our flag, then certainly I have the right to believe they are anti-American in doing so.

There are all kinds of ways to protest. You can protest here on USMB, you can protest by writing an opinion piece to your newspaper, you can protest on Facebook, you can protest on the sidewalks of our cities, there are all kinds of ways to protest. So why do liberals choose the type of protest to offend the most American people? Because they are nothing but troublemakers.

If I want to protest Target stores, I don't shop at Target stores. If I want to protest the NFL, I don't watch the NFL. If somebody wants to protest the United States, then move out of the United States. Put your money where your mouth is I always say.

That's fair. I just don't think this particular form of protest is limited to liberals. I've seen it on both sides recently and it makes me sick no matter who is doing it.

LOL, how quickly you people went from anti-government militia types to nationalist ideologues. If anyone is actually flying the flag upside-down it is in the same spirit you people used to fly the Gadsden flag (Don't tread on me) before you switched to being pro-government dupes.

Sorry, but people get offended by seeing other so-called Americans desecrating our flag. When you libs thought the confederate flag was offensive, you went all out to having it removed from every corner of this country. But that's okay, because freedom of speech only applies to liberals. We only take action when they are offended--not real Americans.

Sometimes freedom of speech can be a royal pain in the ass. This upside down flag thing goes hand in hand with the NFL players refusing to stand when the national anthem is played. There's a lot of things wrong with this country, past and present, no doubt about that. But there's a lot of good things about this country too. And at least it's a peaceful protest, nobody is getting hurt or property destroyed.

Maybe, but what gets me is every time liberals get upset, they do something un-American. Oh, they will argue with you until next year that what they are doing is not anti-American, but it is.

I think it's just the fact that the nature of a liberal is to be a trouble maker.

One man's trouble-maker could be another man's patriot. I'm sure many people in England thought the colonists in America were trouble-makers, even some of our own people thought that. Depends on your point of view I guess; many of these 'liberals' are in fact trouble-makers, I'm sure of that. Maybe some are even paid trouble-makers, bused in to stir up trouble and start a disturbance or a fight to get on the TV news cycle. They're not really liberals, they're just hoodlums. But a lot of them are trying to address what they see as social injustice, seeking to right past wrongs and gain possible redress or change. I get it; don't much like it but I get it, sometimes talking gets you nothing so you resort to more drastic action to draw attention to your cause. Not sure that choice works out all that well though, for the most part all I see is a country and people that are more divided than before. All that has really been accomplished is driving up the fear and animosity.

That's fair. I just don't think this particular form of protest is limited to liberals. I've seen it on both sides recently and it makes me sick no matter who is doing it.

Then I must have missed something because I never seen anybody on the right desecrate our flag, and if they did, I will say the same thing about them.

One man's trouble-maker could be another man's patriot. I'm sure many people in England thought the colonists in America were trouble-makers, even some of our own people thought that. Depends on your point of view I guess; many of these 'liberals' are in fact trouble-makers, I'm sure of that. Maybe some are even paid trouble-makers, bused in to stir up trouble and start a disturbance or a fight to get on the TV news cycle. They're not really liberals, they're just hoodlums. But a lot of them are trying to address what they see as social injustice, seeking to right past wrongs and gain possible redress or change. I get it; don't much like it but I get it, sometimes talking gets you nothing so you resort to more drastic action to draw attention to your cause. Not sure that choice works out all that well though, for the most part all I see is a country and people that are more divided than before. All that has really been accomplished is driving up the fear and animosity.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you disagree with the direction of our country, we created ways to change it.

If you can't change anything, it means you are in the minority. It means that the majority happen to like the way certain issues are dealt with.

For instance I stand by our police. I think they should be allowed to use deadly force to subdue a person that they believe threatens their safety or life. Most Americans feel the same way. Disrespecting our flag or anthem is only trying to cause a problem while insulting most people in the country.

Sorry, but people get offended by seeing other so-called Americans desecrating our flag. When you libs thought the confederate flag was offensive, you went all out to having it removed from every corner of this country. But that's okay, because freedom of speech only applies to liberals. We only take action when they are offended--not real Americans.
Be offended all you want, It's what conservatives do best. If you people had not hijacked practically every symbol of patriotically resisting government tyranny the left might have something of their own that means the same thing: Our government is treating us like an enemy and denying our collective will.

Then I must have missed something because I never seen anybody on the right desecrate our flag, and if they did, I will say the same thing about them.

Yeah, I watch FOX News (I like Chris Wallace) and they really flog the "unhinged liberals are desecrating our flag" angle. But it's going on both sides and has been in my view since 2000 when I saw Dubya supporters doing it. I was and continue to be enraged.

Upside-Down Flags Mark Conservative Anger Over Obama

How do you know you've never seen anyone on the right desecrate the flag? How do you know, for example, what the political affiliation of the people in the OP's picture is?

However, here's a picture from what is supposedly a Tea Party website:
FLYAMERICANFLAGUPSIDEDOWN.jpg

FLY AMERICAN FLAG UPSIDE DOWN

I don't think this particular form of protest is limited to any one ideology. :dunno:

Flying the US flag upside down symbolizes the nation is in distress. It's nothing new and both sides do it
No that's not what it means to a military man. It is a very special display. Not to be coopted to "symbolize the nation in distress." Anyone in the military would tell you that, I think.

It's what it symbolizes, always has. My father a 26 year vetetan of the US Navy taught me that
Your father was taught differently than I.

ITHE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE
Title 4, Chapter 1

§ 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Gawd you're stupid. It also symbolizes a nation in distress.

No. That is what you and others claim. It is not true and has never been true. This nation is not in distress or the order would have been given to fly the flag upside down.

Why do some conservatives try to out-stupid liberals?

Forum List

Back