Florida Loses $2.4 Billion For High-Speed Trains

Seriously though, a mode of transportation that is fixed on rails (the ultimate in inflexibility) and travels over the ground (even at high speed) will lose to air travel for long distances and automobiles for short distances.

Now if a private corporation wants to develop a high speed rail line without tax payer money - GO FOR IT. If it is such a great idea, surely entreprenuers and investors would be lined up to participate, right?
Tell that to Europeans, Japanese, and Chinese.

How many of those make money?

Let me tell you something, if the Japanese cannot make money when they cram riders into the train like they do, no one can.

I would rather be a sardine in a can than pack in like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people won't fly, ever. The actual travel time is a little more, but the cost will drop as more of the trains are used. There is less hassle than going to an airport.

Funny thing about those costs, they only go up. Ridership never reaches the level it needs to end government subsides, even when they offer massive discounts to entice people away from those planes no one likes.

Check out the map of HSTs all over Europe.

Remember, this isn't new technology. Europeans have been building HSTs for years. There is plenty of data for study. And now there is talk of a HSP from China to London.

The horse and buggy is not new technology either, but you do not see many people using them. You know why?

Take a look at a calendar sometime, we live in the 21st century, not the 19th. Did you know that they had a 100mph + train back in 1893? That they got faster shortly after the turn of the century?

Museum of Science and Industry | What's Here | Exhibits | Transportation Gallery | The Exhibit | 999 Steam Locomotive

That means that this technology has been around for as long as they have had trains? Why do you want to go backward instead of forward? Are you secretly a conservative that wants to make progressives look stupid? You can tell me, i promise not to tell anyone who does not post on USMB.

High speed rail is an economic loser. It has never worked, outside of one or two well traveled corridors. The guv was right. An expensive boondoggle that would have cost taxpayer money for no benefit.

No benefit? How about a 2 hour train ride from Chicago to St. Louis whic takes 5 hours by car. Yeah you're right no benefit.

Government doesn't do things to make a profit. Its not a business. It does things to better society. Think about it (I know hard thing to do, but at least try):

A 2 hour train ride cuts a business cost to travel, meaning less costs meaning they can save or create new jobs, meaning employment rate goes down, economy gets better, American gets better.

Oh and maybe able to save American manufacturing because transportation cost decrease.

But yeah absolutely no benefit. :cuckoo:

How does making something faster cut costs? Going faster uses more energy, more resources, and is more dangerous, which adds to liability, thus adding to costs. Not to mention that in that train passes through at least 10 separate communities, none of which are going to allow a train to speed through at more than 30 mph, which will mean that the mythical bullet train will have to either go around those cities somehow, or fly over them.

Oops, we are back to planes again. Isn't modern technology wonderful? Tell me something, since you believe in high speed rail, do you also believe in unicorn dust and pots of gold at the end of rainbows?

Why trains? If we are going to move backwards with ancient, restrictive technology, why not have a national initiative to invest in rickshaws? They work in CHINA!!! Think of all the jobs!
pd2116765.jpg
Now, that's the height of conservatism.

The conservative definition of "new technology".

Newsflash RD - "choo choo" trains are not new technology and they make no more sense than rickshaws.

In fact, Rickshaws make more sense for a liberal progressive! Rickshaws would put millions of unemployed people to work. They could form a labor union for rickshaw drivers. They would them get good union jobs with good union benefits. One rickshaw per person= 300 million new jobs. Good Union jobs too! paying good Union wages and Good Union Benefits!!! Fat people would have to pay for 2 rickshaw drivers (union rules!) or walk - making them healthier for Obamacare!! New legislation could be enacted that would force citizens to use rickshaws for all travel. It'd be a brave new world!!!

i don't know whether a train between tampa and orlando is worth it or not....i do know it is wall to wall traffic, most any time of the day, between tampa and orlando on I-4....

the one thing that should be considered in this whole debate on trains, is that these higher than high gasoline prices could move more people towards train services than ever before....i don't think this can be discounted...

and perhaps the private sector will eventually see this and pursue the business...

i don't know whether a train between tampa and orlando is worth it or not....i do know it is wall to wall traffic, most any time of the day, between tampa and orlando on I-4....

the one thing that should be considered in this whole debate on trains, is that these higher than high gasoline prices could move more people towards train services than ever before....i don't think this can be discounted...

and perhaps the private sector will eventually see this and pursue the business...

My sentiments exactly.

The problem is that higher than average fuel prices also affect trains, they do not run on air.

High speed rail is an economic loser. It has never worked, outside of one or two well traveled corridors. The guv was right. An expensive boondoggle that would have cost taxpayer money for no benefit.

Yep. And a good portion of the citizens here don't want it because it only covers a small portion of the State, will create a few temporary jobs, and then the Taxpayers will get stuck with it.

It's a bad deal like everything else coming out of the Disctrict of Criminals these days.

Saying that highspeed trains never worked is an outright fucking lie, have any of you two dickheads been to Europe? I can get on a train right here where I live in Germany and be in Paris in two hours, same with Rome. When you say the word NEVER you're making an absolute statement which require facts to support it, now prove that high speed trains have NEVER worked.

Yep. And a good portion of the citizens here don't want it because it only covers a small portion of the State, will create a few temporary jobs, and then the Taxpayers will get stuck with it.

It's a bad deal like everything else coming out of the Disctrict of Criminals these days.

Saying that highspeed trains never worked is an outright fucking lie, have any of you two dickheads been to Europe? I can get on a train right here where I live in Germany and be in Paris in two hours, same with Rome. When you say the word NEVER you're making an absolute statement which require facts to support it, now prove that high speed trains have NEVER worked.

Are you aware that pointing at a government subsidized anything and claiming that it works makes you look really stupid?

The problem is that higher than average fuel prices also affect trains, they do not run on air.
I don't believe so...because...

High speed trains run on Magnetism, don't they?

Are you aware that pointing at a government subsidized anything and claiming that it works makes you look really stupid?

Dickhead, his statement was that high speed rail never worked so I'm challenging him to back his shit up, take your strawman and shove it up your dumb, funky, fucked up ass.

If we waited for the private sector to do big things, they would never get done. They won't commit the massive infrastructure costs.

That's why the government has to do these things.

Seriously though, a mode of transportation that is fixed on rails (the ultimate in inflexibility) and travels over the ground (even at high speed) will lose to air travel for long distances and automobiles for short distances.

Now if a private corporation wants to develop a high speed rail line without tax payer money - GO FOR IT. If it is such a great idea, surely entreprenuers and investors would be lined up to participate, right?
Tell that to Europeans, Japanese, and Chinese.

How many of those make money?
Our airlines don't make a profit. Would you discontinue them?

Last edited:

I don't believe so...because...

High speed trains run on Magnetism, don't they?

Not yet.

Dickhead, his statement was that high speed rail never worked so I'm challenging him to back his shit up, take your strawman and shove it up your dumb, funky, fucked up ass.

How is it a straw man to point out that every place high speed rail exists it is subsidized by the government? So, again, does a government an industry that requires government subsidies to exist at all, never mind survive, meet your definition of working? If it does, you can never again complain about any government bailout of banks or the fat cats that run them, because you believe that makes them successful.

A government subsidy is a bail out, which is why intelligent people oppose them both.

If we waited for the private sector to do big things, they would never get done. They won't commit the massive infrastructure costs.

That's why the government has to do these things.

That is so true, without the government we would not have the replacement for the World Trade Center, and the tunnel from NJ to NY would never have been built.

Wait, did I just screw up?

Still no fucking proof that high speed rail have never worked yet these little dickless whining rightwingers want to neg rep me and call me idiots and liar, they can all kiss my black ass.

How is it a straw man to point out that every place high speed rail exists it is subsidized by the government? So, again, does a government an industry that requires government subsidies to exist at all, never mind survive, meet your definition of working? If it does, you can never again complain about any government bailout of banks or the fat cats that run them, because you believe that makes them successful.

A government subsidy is a bail out, which is why intelligent people oppose them both.

i don't give a fuck about your bitching and paranoia about the big, bad federal government you mindlessly believe exists, I challenging the lie that high speed rail has never worked which Rabbi stated, your paranoid bullshit has nothing to do with this stated claim so shut the fuck up with your strawman because thats what it is.

Forum List

Back