Florida Loses $2.4 Billion For High-Speed Trains

As a Californian I applaud the Gov. of Florida; soon we may benefit from his foolishness if our own pols plan for the future and not seek a return to the past. While I understand editec's belief of the New Right being fascist and generally agree, they're also reactionary. Maybe a new word needs to be coined to describe an ideology bereft of ideas. looking backwards and build on a foundation of emotion?

Yes because California's budget is balanced so they can afford to spend taxpayer money on expensive play toys for the urban middle class. Right?
Yeah....that's what they are....play-toys.....

These videos make me want to plan another trip to Europe. I love traveling by train.

Last edited by a moderator:
in one of our last Elections, High Speed Rail between L.A. and Las Vegas was shot down by the voters.....maybe its not that popular of an idea out here as well.....

The only way it will work is if there is a need and a demand for it by market forces. Had there been such a need? The Railroads wouldn't have dropped their passenger services in the early 70's.

The only reason why rail passenger travel exists now is by the Government. Witness AMTRAK.
....But, it's different....​

....right??​

Wankin.gif
tricycle.gif

The only place high speed rail makes sense is between Washington D.C. and New York City. That's about it.

boston NYC Washington.
La-san diego. maybe even La-San fran.
I could see a Atlanta Miami type rail working.
you also have to note gas is spiking again, people are cutting down on travel. Now if you have a cheap way of going long distances without using your car and gas, people will be more willing to use it.

China doesnt think its a bad idea. And before you knock China, you should note that a lot of US companies are investing there because its booming. In China this just got done.
Fuck the whiners.

Or LA to San Francisco, Berkley and San Jose. Or through central California, the vegetable capital of America.

Or all over the East Coast.

High Speed trains are more than 30% more efficient than US trains. They are competitive with airplanes. You can have people commuting to work from over a hundred miles away, which opens up job opportunities everywhere they run.

But right wingers don't see the possibilities. Of course. They can't. They are limited that way. These are people who have no use for science or technology. They want to cut education. They want to include "mysticism" as an alternate and acceptable part of "science". They can't see the difference between a "scientific theory" and a "wild guess".

The only way it will work is if there is a need and a demand for it by market forces. Had there been such a need? The Railroads wouldn't have dropped their passenger services in the early 70's.

The only reason why rail passenger travel exists now is by the Government. Witness AMTRAK.
....But, it's different....​

....right??​

Wankin.gif
tricycle.gif

I wish you guys would stop quoting Sheman... since I put it on ignore, that's the only time I see his mindless, multi-colored nonsense.

:confused:

The only place high speed rail makes sense is between Washington D.C. and New York City. That's about it.

boston NYC Washington.
you also have to note gas is spiking again, people are cutting down on travel. Now if you have a cheap way of going long distances without using your car and gas, people will be more willing to use it.

China doesnt think its a bad idea. And before you knock China, you should note that a lot of US companies are investing there because its booming. In China this just got done.
Fuck the whiners.

Or LA to San Francisco, Berkley and San Jose. Or through central California, the vegetable capital of America.

High Speed trains are more than 30% more efficient than US trains. They are competitive with airplanes. You can have people commuting to work from over a hundred miles away, which opens up job opportunities everywhere they run.

But right wingers don't see the possibilities. Of course. They can't. They are limited that way. These are people who have no use for science or technology. They want to cut education. They want to include "mysticism" as an alternate and acceptable part of "science". They can't see the difference between a "scientific theory" and a "wild guess".

Ok genius, if it is such a no-brainer and so economical... why hasn't it been done?

boston NYC Washington.

Fuck the whiners.

Ok genius, if it is such a no-brainer and so economical... why hasn't it been done?

He knows why. The Market sees no demand for it.

He knows why. The Market sees no demand for it.

Of course... more pie-in-the-sky, theoretical, Utopian nonsense that only works in their tiny little tweak'n minds. The nitwits live in an alternate universe that is 180 out of phase with reality.

boston NYC Washington.

Fuck the whiners.

MARKET doesn't see it. ONLY gubmint DOES...now why is this Deany?

I wish you guys would stop quoting Sheman... since I put it on ignore, that's the only time I see his mindless, multi-colored nonsense.

Muh Bad. I don't put anyone on ignore but choose to ignore them outright especially when they ask incipid questions...that they as Americans should already KNOW...

I only have a few on ignore... Sheman because oh the childish markups, a couple others because even glancing past their stuff made me start drooling.

Yes because California's budget is balanced so they can afford to spend taxpayer money on expensive play toys for the urban middle class. Right?
Yeah....that's what they are....play-toys.....

These videos make me want to plan another trip to Europe. I love traveling by train.

trains don't have to go 3000 miles/hour to have a good time. i ride the d.c. to boston train.. sometime google the american orient express...unbelievable trip.

Muh Bad. I don't put anyone on ignore but choose to ignore them outright especially when they ask incipid questions...that they as Americans should already KNOW...

I only have a few on ignore... Sheman because oh the childish markups, a couple others because even glancing past their stuff made me start drooling.

Fair enough. :lol:

boston NYC Washington.

Fuck the whiners.

It has been done. And it's being done. Just not in this country.

boston NYC Washington.

Fuck the whiners.

MARKET doesn't see it. ONLY gubmint DOES...now why is this Deany?

Countries put in place the infrastructure that attracts business. You of all people should know this. Look at Germany and China. I've always questioned your sanity. But now I'm questioning your intelligence.

Let us take a look at high speed rail in one of the favorite places of the left, China.

In his seven years as chief of the Chinese Railways Ministry, Liu Zhijun built a commercial and political colossus that spanned continents and elevated the lowly train to a national symbol of pride and technological prowess.
His abrupt sacking by the Communist Party is casting that empire in a decidedly different light, raising doubts not only about Mr. Liu’s stewardship and the corruption that dogs China’s vast public-works projects, but also, perhaps, the safety, financial soundness and long-term viability of a rail system that has captured the world’s attention.
Mr. Liu, 58, was fired Saturday and is being investigated by the party’s disciplinary committee for “severe violations of discipline,” a euphemism for corruption. His high government rank — minister-level officials are rarely fired under such a cloud — hints at far deeper dissatisfaction with one of China’s most publicized and sweeping domestic initiatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/world/asia/18rail.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Seems that all is not well in China.

Tell me something, why would a person who claims to look to the future prefer a mode of transportation that was built by robber barons, is highly prone to corruption and greed, is not flexible enough to get people where they need to go, and generally disenfranchises the poor people who live in rural areas?

Could it be that you have not actually examined the evidence, and just like it because Obama supports it and Republicans do not? Would you be as supportive if Bush had made it a signature of his presidency, and Democrats opposed it?

Oops.

Bullet Trains Around the World

Much of Europe is connected with bullet trains and Asia is catching up fast, while lines are in various stages of planning in South America and the Middle East.

The U.S. is taking far too few and too timid steps to catch up, decades behind many other developed countries.

Bullet Trains Around the World | Midwest High Speed Rail Association

Let us take a look at high speed rail in one of the favorite places of the left, China.

In his seven years as chief of the Chinese Railways Ministry, Liu Zhijun built a commercial and political colossus that spanned continents and elevated the lowly train to a national symbol of pride and technological prowess.
His abrupt sacking by the Communist Party is casting that empire in a decidedly different light, raising doubts not only about Mr. Liu’s stewardship and the corruption that dogs China’s vast public-works projects, but also, perhaps, the safety, financial soundness and long-term viability of a rail system that has captured the world’s attention.
Mr. Liu, 58, was fired Saturday and is being investigated by the party’s disciplinary committee for “severe violations of discipline,” a euphemism for corruption. His high government rank — minister-level officials are rarely fired under such a cloud — hints at far deeper dissatisfaction with one of China’s most publicized and sweeping domestic initiatives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/world/asia/18rail.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Seems that all is not well in China.

Tell me something, why would a person who claims to look to the future prefer a mode of transportation that was built by robber barons, is highly prone to corruption and greed, is not flexible enough to get people where they need to go, and generally disenfranchises the poor people who live in rural areas?

Could it be that you have not actually examined the evidence, and just like it because Obama supports it and Republicans do not? Would you be as supportive if Bush had made it a signature of his presidency, and Democrats opposed it?

You are assuming Democrats would not support "common sense". Remember, Democrats don't vote in a block. Their party isn't 90% white and mostly Christian. The majority of scientists are Democrats. You can't really compare the two parties. And Bush didn't believe in "evolution".

Oops.

Bullet Trains Around the World

Much of Europe is connected with bullet trains and Asia is catching up fast, while lines are in various stages of planning in South America and the Middle East.

The U.S. is taking far too few and too timid steps to catch up, decades behind many other developed countries.

Bullet Trains Around the World | Midwest High Speed Rail Association

Catch up to WHAT? More government handouts? You people never give up do you?

If it can't stand on its own two feet, then it won't work. What part of THAT don't you understand?

Forum List

Back