Do you play a musical instrument ?

If so, what is it and how long have you played?

Been playing guitar since about 81-82. Have two electric guitars, a bass and two acoustics, a keyboard and drum machine, PA, all kinds of crap.

A guy I knew who owned a guitar shop in Tempe Arizona and my guitar teacher got me learning scales and that pushed me to learn more. I had a few friends that went to ASU so I used to go with them and get theory books and learned a few things.

I dont play as much as I used to but a couple weeks and Id be back into it.

Do you play a musical instrument ?

I own a guitar. Whether or not I play it is a matter of opinion.... I've owned it for 4 years now.

I've had an Epiphone since I was 16. It went everywhere with me until my son was born.

My first guitar was an Epiphone. Got it right after I saw The Beatles on Ed sullivan. It was an old archtop that was in my friend's garage that I traded him a fishing rod for.

I wish I still had it, it would be worth a small fortune.

I play the trumpet and the guitar.

Started on trumpet shortly after seeing Louis Armstrong on the Ed Sullivan show. I was 12 at the time.

Not long after that, The Beatles did the Ed Sullivan show and I picked up the guitar.

Been at both ever since.

The Eagles have a nice group of trumpeters.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOe37A5IkBg&playnext=1&list=PL3DB77D2FD986296F&index=32[/ame]

Started on trumpet shortly after seeing Louis Armstrong on the Ed Sullivan show. I was 12 at the time.

Not long after that, The Beatles did the Ed Sullivan show and I picked up the guitar.

Been at both ever since.

Good thing you didn't go to Mexico and see a girl-and-donkey show. :eek:

Been at both ever since.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOe37A5IkBg&playnext=1&list=PL3DB77D2FD986296F&index=32[/ame]

Nice intro and in C# minor no less. Not exactly a trumpet friendly key.

I've often wondered why the trumpet, unlike the sax, wasn't accepted more as a rock and roll instrument. It's certainly got the volume and brashness going for it.

Been at both ever since.

I've often wondered why the trumpet, unlike the sax, wasn't accepted more as a rock and roll instrument. It's certainly got the volume and brashness going for it.
One of my all-time favorite trumpet songs:

Last edited by a moderator:

Been at both ever since.

Trumpet was a hit in Jazz-Rock Fusion.

Been at both ever since.

It kind of started out that way from the black perspective of rock, but maybe when Elvis came along he defined the band instruments.

I own a guitar. Whether or not I play it is a matter of opinion.... I've owned it for 4 years now.

I've had an Epiphone since I was 16. It went everywhere with me until my son was born.

My first guitar was an Epiphone. Got it right after I saw The Beatles on Ed sullivan. It was an old archtop that was in my friend's garage that I traded him a fishing rod for.

i don't think mine is worth so much. lol.

i don't think mine is worth so much. lol.

Stick a Betty Boop sticker on it, and no one will be able to tell the difference. :eusa_angel:

I play the radio.

I was a radio-playing progeny and could play one without instruction the moment I was tall enough to reach the knobs.

That's a nice 6-String instrument J. So what do you play? I play rock & Western rhythm.

I am thinking of buying one of those large Mexican bass guitars. I have always liked the way they look. Prolly couldn't play it, but it will look nice on my wall. :lol:

This is probably more like the one i have.

-195952507169892780.jpg

i always played a lot of rock/folk type stuff. neil young, springsteen, crosby stills nash and young green day, elvis costello... that type of stuff.

i always liked the ovation, but they're too big for me to handle properly.

the big guitar would probably look very cool on a wall. lol..

I would SO love to play with you, Princess!

Piano is my passion. Since I was a child...that is me at my recent recital at Steinway Hall in Manhattan in the profile.

I never would have guessed - the piano or the Asian!

Who do you enjoy playing the most? Do you sight read really well, or need time to digest a piece? Do you also play by ear, or mostly need sheet music?

Did you see this, from the NYTimes last week? I agree with his list, although I would have put Mahler in there, probably in place of Bartok. I also like Shostakovich, who I was only recently introduced to, with the soundtrack of Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/arts/music/23composers.html

I guess I'm full of surprises!

I love Beethoven, but my tastes are quite eclectic. I'm not a very good sight reader and I don't play too well by ear.

That piece by Shostakovich is quite lovely.

I did see that piece in the NY Times and I guess I have to agree with the consensus that Bach is number one, but I was surprised Chopin did not make the cut. Love talking about music, particularly classical. Right now I'm working on Mozart's Fantasy.

Piano is my passion. Since I was a child...that is me at my recent recital at Steinway Hall in Manhattan in the profile.

Who do you enjoy playing the most? Do you sight read really well, or need time to digest a piece? Do you also play by ear, or mostly need sheet music?

Did you see this, from the NYTimes last week? I agree with his list, although I would have put Mahler in there, probably in place of Bartok. I also like Shostakovich, who I was only recently introduced to, with the soundtrack of Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

I just re-read my post, and I sound like I just drank a pot of espresso! :lol:

I guess I'm full of surprises!

Well, I am. I am guessing that you were born in the U.S.A. Your posts demonstrate a thoroughly American style, in tone and aggression. That's not a criticism. It's just counter to my experience with Asian culture.

I love Beethoven, but my tastes are quite eclectic. I'm not a very good sight reader and I don't play too well by ear.

If you are good, then that tells me you're a hard worker. Because I've usually found players to be one way or the other, by and large.

That piece by Shostakovitch is quite lovely.

It really is - I need to purchase it:

I did see that piece in the NY Times and I guess I have to agree with the consensus that Bach is number one, but I was surprised Chopin did not make the cut. Love talking about music, particularly classical.

I agree. I think the hardest decision is who is #2.

Right now I'm working on Mozart's Fantasy.

You should set up a video camera, and post a YouTube video of yourself playing it, or anything, really. I would love to hear it!

I just re-read my post, and I sound like I just drank a pot of espresso! :lol:

Well, I am. I am guessing that you were born in the U.S.A. Your posts demonstrate a thoroughly American style, in tone and aggression. That's not a criticism. It's just counter to my experience with Asian culture.

If you are good, then that tells me you're a hard worker. Because I've usually found players to be one way or the other, by and large.

It really is - I need to purchase it:

I did see that piece in the NY Times and I guess I have to agree with the consensus that Bach is number one, but I was surprised Chopin did not make the cut. Love talking about music, particularly classical.

I agree. I think the hardest decision is who is #2.

Right now I'm working on Mozart's Fantasy.

You should set up a video camera, and post a YouTube video of yourself playing it, or anything, really. I would love to hear it!

sorry to butt in

and this is def. off topic...

but i'm watching "the hunt for red october"
it's at the beginning and male voices are singing that russian? acapella/classical piece
(do NOT know what it is....will google later...)

beautiful
powerful
moving

goosebumps

Forum List

Back