Taylor Swift - Musical "Silos" - the Super Bowl Halftime Show

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
There is a musical guru who has become quite popular on YouTube, whose name is Rick Beato. Seriously, if you are a music buff, you NEED to become familiar with his videos (which often go far beyond my understanding of music), but regardless...

The other day he posted a video interview with a music promoter, and they discussed the evolution of popular music from universally known and loved musical stars of the past to the present day, where we have people who are extraordinarily successful "in a silo." That is to say, they are overwhelmingly popular, but only to a targeted demographic or cultural segment. There are many people with hundreds of millions of, say, Spotify music downloads, who are totally unknown to the general public. Contrast this to the musical stars of yesteryear - The Rolling Stones, Linda Ronstadt, the Eagles, the Temptations - who were universally known, and if not loved by all, at least known by all.

Taylor Swift is, of course, Exhibit A. She sells out literally as many venues over as many days as she chooses to perform, and yet I have never knowingly or intentionally listened to a single song that she plays. Same for many Hip-Hop artists. And who know who else? Interestingly to me, my grand-daughters, aged 13 and 11, have no interest in Taylor Swift because she appeals to "old people."

So the question becomes, in this era of stratospheric popularity within limited "silos," Who you gonna have appearing on your Super Bowl Halftime show? No matter whom you pick, unless you pick someone that Boomers like, at least 60% of the audience will be bored, uninterested, or overtly pissed off.

It's a whole new world, music-wise.

What amazes me is the ageless appreciation of Classic Rock

I was in a bar a few weeks ago with an Oldies Rock cover band playing songs from the 60s and 70s.
I was amazed the members of the audience in their 20s and 30s knew all the songs.
This is music that is 50-60 years old and young people know the songs

The mp3 songs and the internet have changed the way people listen to music.
I create my own playlists.
I have a collection of over 50K mp3 songs to choose from.
I don't listen to the Radio much anymore.

I know who Taylor Swift is (who doesn't) but I have never heard any of her songs (that I'm aware of). No matter, I can't understand what they're saying anyway (same with movies).

I am another old fart who doesn’t know her songs.
From what I have seen, she is an enjoyable performer but the songs she writes, her voice and guitar playing are average at best.

How does anyone even casually paying attention to anything not know who * the person* Taylor Swift is?....She's plastered just about everywhere?

As for her songs?...The only real exposure I've had to them is when the tune gets hijacked to make a parody song, at which point I got curious as to where the original came from...

I have watched Rick Beato many times.
I agree with him on that today's music is crap.
Pop music started going down hill around 20 years ago.
Rick has a lot of videos about different famous guitar giffs and other interesting aspects of music.

I think the 80s was pretty much the last great song writing decade.

After that technology started making talent-less producers into popular song writers.

Most of the songs that came out after the 80s were crap in concert because you couldn't replicate dubbing techniques they used in the studio during live concerts. Especially when live performances used so much synchronized dancing routines in their performances on stage. The singers were often out of breath and out of tune by the 3rd song.

Unlike groups like NSYNC, singers like Neil Diamond were actually better in concert than in the studio because of the skill of the performers and the quality of Neil's voice and that of the backup singers.

What happened in the past is that a lot of supremely talented artists never made it past singing on the corner with a cup in their hand. There were only a handful of radio stations and magazines, and these provided the only access to new music, for Americans. Literally, a small group of people decided what every American heard on their radios or read about in their magazines.

Now artists don't need radio or magazines to get noticed by people. When you meet someone on the street, they haven't been listening to the same 30 songs on the same 3 radio stations as you have.

1712022438427.png

Forum List

Back