Do you play a musical instrument ?

I've been tapping out that rhythm on the drums since the early 1960s.

chrisadlermastersplace.jpg

Now here's someone special!! I bet you can play Sandy Nelson's Drums Are My Beat. :eusa_angel:

Do you have anything we can listen to?
I used to practice to Sandy Nelson LPs :lol:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2EYIcSfEII&feature=related[/ame]

There should be some questions raised about who was the real Father of Rock & Roll. :eusa_angel:

That's a nice 6-String instrument J. So what do you play? I play rock & Western rhythm.

I am thinking of buying one of those large Mexican bass guitars. I have always liked the way they look. Prolly couldn't play it, but it will look nice on my wall. :lol:

This is probably more like the one i have.

-195952507169892780.jpg

i always played a lot of rock/folk type stuff. neil young, springsteen, crosby stills nash and young green day, elvis costello... that type of stuff.

i always liked the ovation, but they're too big for me to handle properly.

the big guitar would probably look very cool on a wall. lol..

That's a nice 6-String instrument J. So what do you play? I play rock & Western rhythm.

I am thinking of buying one of those large Mexican bass guitars. I have always liked the way they look. Prolly couldn't play it, but it will look nice on my wall. :lol:

-195952507169892780.jpg

i always played a lot of rock/folk type stuff. neil young, springsteen, crosby stills nash and young green day, elvis costello... that type of stuff.

I have about 8 guitars, 2 electric, 6 acoustical (some 6-12 strings). I inherited my dads toys when he passed on. He played in a Mariachi Orchestra. I have a Martin 12 string I play most, and I have a Sunburst Gibson 6 string I carried out of Vietnam that is special to me. My closet is packed! I haven't played a tune in a few years & all the finger callouses are gone from the tips. :eusa_angel:

If you have spent any time in the Caribbean you have been exposed to steel drum music. And if you have stayed more than a few months you are addicted. One of our local colleges plays in the summertime in one of our Friday fiestas at the court yard, and sometimes they play steel drum with a band. I enjoy it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteelDrumMusic#p/u/9/k65hbFvj3O8

Keyboards, since '84 or so. This is in '86 or '87:

daveamericanthunder6yh.jpg
Roland JX-8P, correct? Mine is sitting out in the garage, freezing it's little keys off.

Yup, an -8P. I don't remember what the top one was. Definitely a Roland product, though.

When I quit the band I had an RD-300s digital piano, S-10 sampler, SH-101, D-10 workstation (all Rolands), and a Korg CX-3 sitting on two Invisible keyboard stands, all feeding a Peavey 12-channel board and a CS-800 amp. There were professional touring musicians that didn't have as much gear as I did bangin' out three-chord rock and roll in my little hobby garage band. :tongue:

My favorite, though, was a Jupiter-8 that I bought on the phone from a music store in NYC. They told me it had been used by Foreigner. Dunno if it was true or not, but man, that thing sounded fat.

That's all quality stuff, except for the Peaveys. The CS-800 makes a great boat anchor, though! :lol:

I had a Korg CX-3, also, and loved it. I finally parted with it, in beautiful condition in it's Calzone road case, just a few years ago. I sold it to the son of renowned blues harmonica player Pat Ramsey (RIP), who played on Johnny Winter's "Red, Hot & Blues" album.

The Jupiter-8 is in my all-time top 10 list. Amazing synth, and yes, it's very fat. I miss the days when Roland put out groundbreaking, useful products. Chasing that rap and hip hop market alienated a lot of synth players. I haven't bought any Roland gear since the 1980s. But to their credit, it all still works! Can't beat that.

If so, what is it and how long have you played?

main instrument; guitar

can fool around on keys (own an old poly 800 for fun)
in bands I have payed the key board parts for many pink floyd and tull tunes and bon jovis "dead or alive" (simple stuff but I was tight)

can't use my feet very well on drums but my hands are very good. Very good at percussion (am ALWAYS "percussing" out in public; on counters, on dash board of car, on wifes shoulder...can't help myself)

have done drum/percussion duos on stage

styles; heavy metal, hard rock, classical, fusion, new-age

bands/people I play/write like; iron maiden, jethro tull (use to play a lOT of tull stuff, including ALL of "thick as a brick", both acoustic and lead parts)(did a version of loco breath in which I played the keyboard/piano beginning on my guitar...was cool....), yes, pink floyd, jeff beck (todays beck, not the blues/60's beck), scorpions, van halen, rush, metallica

am often accused by strangers of playing like people I never heard of or listened to....like phil keagy...who I still have never actually listened to

played once for a special concert in front of about 5000 people and got 2 standing ovations!

(am rather proud of that even though the stuff we were doing was kinda simple jamaican/reggae and NOT the stuff I normally do)

have incorporated parts of many classical pieces into my music; hall of mountain king, 1812 overture...stuff like that

have about 30 songs of my own that I am proud of (and another 100 that I threw out 10 seconds after I was finished working on them cus they were real crap)

have a small 4 track studio, drum machines, bass guitar, cakewalk and fruityloops recording software

do all the parts myself

know the basics of singing, am pretty good at harmonies but do NOT have a "nice" voice

fronted a band once but had to keep everything in a tight range else I could NOT reach the high parts

have played out many times in hard rock, heavy metal bands and all original hard rock bands (but NOT doing my stuff) (always as the lead guitar and back up vocals)

play EVERY DAY 2 times, at least 30 minutes each time (usually more), sometimes just doing scales to keep in shape

have been playing since i was 15...
but I didn't get "really good" until I was about 30

am a little SLOWER today than I was 10 years ago but am a better overall player today than I ever was...(practice makes better!)

i incorporate MOST of the guitar "tricks" into my style; hammers, pulls-offs...am VERY GOOD at the whammy/vibrato (which I use much more (and with greater versatility and dynamic) than most people)
but I never could get that fast sweep thing down....oh well....

like to think/believe that I have my own guitar styles (which I easily transpose over to bass)

have a lot of original pieces in non traditional tunings; d, g, am....some I kinda made up...

yoyo ma and jeff beck would have a lot of fun with me as their rythm player....

I could easily hold my own if they threw me a lead or two

if ian anderson needed to replace his lead player I could do it.....

My 13th birthday present was a piano and my parents hide it in the living room. It was in there for a week. They told me not to go into the living room so I didn't and yes, I was drop-jaw surprised. I took lessons all through high school then stopped. I tried starting up again in my early 20's but the teacher asked me out. Took me to a Dan Fogelberg concert. That was great but I didn't like him and felt weird going back for lessons. That was a long time ago . . . .
I really liked playing classical music. I liked it's organization and how it felt (literally how it felt to my fingers) to play.. . .kinda hard to explain.

Jillian, what's an epiphone?
That's what she used before she got a cellphone.
evillaugh.gif

Geeze, a lot of talent here! We could use a sax and a lead guitar

Just guitar from back as far as I can remember, 5-6 I guess. I write music lyrics, and used to entertain in night clubs and shit kicking barrooms on the weekends.

'I hate republicans' is not music lyrics, idiot. And, the only person who would ever find you entertaining in a night club is you. Sad bastard.

Anytime you want to match me for lead singer let me know! :lol: Actually, the way we fight, we would prolly make a good dual. :)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/11/873525/02 Track 2 hardlines.mp3

Last edited:
Roland JX-8P, correct? Mine is sitting out in the garage, freezing it's little keys off.

Yup, an -8P. I don't remember what the top one was. Definitely a Roland product, though.

When I quit the band I had an RD-300s digital piano, S-10 sampler, SH-101, D-10 workstation (all Rolands), and a Korg CX-3 sitting on two Invisible keyboard stands, all feeding a Peavey 12-channel board and a CS-800 amp. There were professional touring musicians that didn't have as much gear as I did bangin' out three-chord rock and roll in my little hobby garage band. :tongue:

My favorite, though, was a Jupiter-8 that I bought on the phone from a music store in NYC. They told me it had been used by Foreigner. Dunno if it was true or not, but man, that thing sounded fat.

That's all quality stuff, except for the Peaveys. The CS-800 makes a great boat anchor, though! :lol:

I had a Korg CX-3, also, and loved it. I finally parted with it, in beautiful condition in it's Calzone road case, just a few years ago. I sold it to the son of renowned blues harmonica player Pat Ramsey (RIP), who played on Johnny Winter's "Red, Hot & Blues" album.

The Jupiter-8 is in my all-time top 10 list. Amazing synth, and yes, it's very fat. I miss the days when Roland put out groundbreaking, useful products. Chasing that rap and hip hop market alienated a lot of synth players. I haven't bought any Roland gear since the 1980s. But to their credit, it all still works! Can't beat that.
Indeed.

And I love Peavey amps. With the compressor, you'd never get any clipping, no matter how hot you ran it. We were setting up for one gig and plugged the speaker out of one amp into the input of another -- but nothing smoked. :lol:

-195952507169892780.jpg

I have about 8 guitars, 2 electric, 6 acoustical (some 6-12 strings). I inherited my dads toys when he passed on. He played in a Mariachi Orchestra. I have a Martin 12 string I play most, and I have a Sunburst Gibson 6 string I carried out of Vietnam that is special to me. My closet is packed! I haven't played a tune in a few years & all the finger callouses are gone from the tips. :eusa_angel:

nice toys.

i have the same problem. i stopped playing about three years ago, although i still fool around with my nephew's guitar occasionally and can still play the odd tune.

i used to have a 12 string gibson with a suede pickguard, but i let a really cute guy talk me into selling it to him cheap.

(yes, i was dumb).

Yes. I play guitar, violin, and piano. I was dragged (often kicking and screaming) to lessons as a kid. Now, I am really grateful to my beloved Mom for it.

I also did dance: Irish, tap, and ballet. Hated ballet, loved tap and Irish.

*Note: Any jokes about Riverdance may result in a neg!
Riverdance! Invented by the Irish in the mid 19th century to keep their minds off of starving to death.

If so, what is it and how long have you played?

Piano is my passion. Since I was a child...that is me at my recent recital at Steinway Hall in Manhattan in the profile.

I never would have guessed - the piano or the Asian!

Who do you enjoy playing the most? Do you sight read really well, or need time to digest a piece? Do you also play by ear, or mostly need sheet music?

Did you see this, from the NYTimes last week? I agree with his list, although I would have put Mahler in there, probably in place of Bartok. I also like Shostakovich, who I was only recently introduced to, with the soundtrack of Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/arts/music/23composers.html

I play the trumpet and the guitar.

Started on trumpet shortly after seeing Louis Armstrong on the Ed Sullivan show. I was 12 at the time.

Not long after that, The Beatles did the Ed Sullivan show and I picked up the guitar.

Been at both ever since.

Forum List

Back