Diff between drugs and alcohol

Alchohol wasl lega until prohibition - had some sort of legal status

Drug s are something you inject or snort
The "conservatives"/"moralists"/BORN-racists (already) LOST this "War", once.

They'll......

827.gif

The thing is My friend... is that the chemical process of withdrawal is a fine thing to know. I applaud you for your knowledge. You seem to have a very good bead on organic Chemistry and physiology.

But the simple truth is, unless you've been through it, you can't understand the psychological and physical pain one goes through when this is occurring inside of YOUR body. I feel for every addict out there. I don't care if they became medically addicted like myself, or made a few bad decisions in their youth that spiraled out of control. The catalyst for a current state of addiction does not matter. They know the pain of not having their drug and they fear that pain. To put a simple scientific spin on the process in no way eases that pain.

In short, an addict is not going to look at your post, or a drug counselor who explains the process like that and say...."OK, that explains that... Sobriety... here I come!" It goes much deeper than Physiology.

I'm sorry... I don't mean to slam you. It's just seems minimalistic to me.

WTF? I see... only liberals do drugs... Fuckin' idiot.

I hold out to you the example of one Bob Beckel. Democratic Strategist and Fox News commentator. A man who admittedly did a lot of drugs during his youth, adolescence and early adulthood, who despite doing some lengthy rehab time is stilla committed Democrat. This, despite the wisdom given by one Winston Churchill:
"Its good for a young man of twenty to be a Liberal, because it proves he has a heart.
But its equally bad for that same young man at fourty to not be a Conservative, because it proves he has no brain."
Perhaps the constant environmental bathing of his developing nervous system with drugs of abuse in his youth prevented the final development of the glial cell wrappings of Mr Beckel's brain and nervous system, leaving him permanently impaired, and a Democrat. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for autopsy to find out.

Well... the fact that he's a FOX news Commentator explains a lot.

Winston Churchill? C'mon... My sigline is from one of the greatest Americans that ever lived.... but it falls upon deaf ears with you "brainy" conservatives. Perhaps it's your glial cell wrappings are faulty...

It's like the supporters of increased drug addiction completely forget about the crimes committed by people while they are under the influence. It's like it just goes away! Even the disaster that Switzerland caused with Needle Park doesn't enter their realm of reality.

drugs like cocaine and heroin and pot all had legal status as well until the 1920's, the same as achohol.......

pot was made illegal because it was a threat to the textile and paper industries which led to the hearst news companies driving a massive campaign to have it made illegal......

at the time, reffer madness was considered to be factual and there were flyers warning that the black man would smoke pot then rape white women.......

now it is a threat to the pharmacutecul companies who would rather you buy their drugs with lethal side effects over smoking a joint or two......

It's like the supporters of increased drug addiction completely forget about the crimes committed by people while they are under the influence. It's like it just goes away! Even the disaster that Switzerland caused with Needle Park doesn't enter their realm of reality.

Crime is a symptom of the addiction. Treat the disease and the symptoms go away.

Besides... I don't think that even the most liberal among us are advocating the re-legalization of heroin, methamphetamine or cocaine. I think that most of them would like to see Pot given the same legal status as alcohol.

Me? I don't give a crap... but i will say this. i've been plastered drunk and I've been about as high as one can get on Marijuana during my lifetime. IMO, alcohol is much, much more debilitating and dangerous.

But as far as legalization? I don't give a crap if Pot stays illegal and really... i don't care if we go into a second round of prohibition of alcohol.

drugs like cocaine and heroin and pot all had legal status as well until the 1920's, the same as achohol.......

pot was made illegal because it was a threat to the textile and paper industries which led to the hearst news companies driving a massive campaign to have it made illegal......

at the time, reffer madness was considered to be factual and there were flyers warning that the black man would smoke pot then rape white women.......

now it is a threat to the pharmacutecul companies who would rather you buy their drugs with lethal side effects over smoking a joint or two......

Believe it or not, but when I was in the Navy back in the late '60s early '70s, they showed us Reefer Madness as an anti-drug training film.

Fine as long as you give priority to those who need liver transplants who aren't alcoholics...
:cool:
Study stirs debate over transplants for alcoholics
10 Nov.`11 – Some gravely ill alcoholics who need a liver transplant shouldn't have to prove they can stay sober for six months to get one, doctors say in a study that could intensify the debate over whether those who destroy their organs by drinking deserve new ones.
In the small French study, the vast majority of the patients who got a liver without the wait stopped drinking after their surgery and were sober years later. The study involved patients who were suffering from alcohol-related hepatitis so severe that they were unlikely to survive a six-month delay. The findings, reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine, could boost demand for livers, already in scarce supply, and reopen a bitter dispute over whether alcoholics should even get transplants. The controversy peaked in the 1990s when celebrities with drinking problems — Larry Hagman, David Crosby and Mickey Mantle — got liver transplants. More recently, British soccer star George Best received a new liver in 2002, started drinking again and died three years later.

Alcohol can cause lethal, liver-destroying diseases such as cirrhosis and hepatitis. Nearly one in five liver transplants in the U.S. go to current or former heavy drinkers. Transplant hospitals commonly require patients waiting for a new liver to give up drinking for six months as a way of assuring doctors they are serious about staying sober after the operation. Drinkers severely ill with hepatitis account for a very small share of patients needing transplants. The French study suggests that dropping the six-month rule for these patients would increase demand for livers by only about 3 percent. The study's lead author, Dr. Philippe Mathurin of Huriez Hospital in Lille, France, said a strict application of the six-month rule may be unfair to such patients. He said they are just as deserving as other liver patients, many of whom have diseases caused by poor lifestyle choices such as drug use or obesity.

Mathurin said he favors keeping the rule for other alcoholics with liver disease, noting that some can recover liver function simply by staying sober. Dr. Robert S. Brown Jr., transplant director of New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, agreed it is time to rethink the six-month rule. "The challenge of this paper is to come up with better ways, both to treat alcoholism as a disease and to predict who will succeed with transplantation," he said. Mathurin acknowledged that such a change could put more patients on the waiting list for organs, and said: "It means we have to increase the number of donors." Nearly 6,300 liver transplants were performed last year in the United States, but more than 1,400 Americans died waiting for a new liver, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing. Adding more people to the list could mean longer waits and more deaths among non-drinkers.

MORE

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. "- raoul duke

Man... pretty early to be hitting the sauce, don't ya think?

Question for anyone... does anyone know the differences between Alcohol withdrawal and heroin withdrawal?

I'll answer for you. If you are physically addicted to alcohol... when you detox... you can die a pretty horrible death... seizures that can't be controlled(statis seizures),etc. Most people who go into treatment will be placed on a slow, metered withdrawal via IV drip.

Heroin and other Opioids? You get sick.... Really sick. Similar to flu symptoms but magnified severely. You also have severe restlessness all over your body and a host of other symptoms... but it's not potentially fatal. You wish you were dead... but you aren't going to die.

How do i know this?... one co-worker of mine is an alcoholic. He's been detoxed medically 4 times.

The Opioid withdrawal? personal experience. I was on Pain medication for a long time. I had a back problem that required a fusion surgery and spent two years trying to avoid having my spine fused. By the time I finally did get the fusion, I had been on Vicodin EX for over two years. i had complications with the surgery and my recovery was slow. my surgeon referred me to a Pain Management Clinic, because because of the tolerance I built up to the vicodin, it wasn't effective in treating my pain. They put me on a Fentanyl Patch. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is many times more powerful than vicodin. I was on that for about 6 months and doing physical therapy. After that period of time, I noticed that i really didn't have much pain anymore, but was afraid to take the patch off for fear of the pain returning. in short, I didn't know whether the lack of pain was due to the therapy and the natural healing of my body, or the patch.

The last straw was when I had the other members of my band over to have a practice because we scheduled a gig for the first time since I had the surgery. I was so slow and sloppy in my guitar playing that I couldn't keep up. That night after the guys left. I peeled off the patch and flushed the rest down the toilet. I cold turkeyed myself and went through 4 days of a living hell. But I came out the other side with a totally different perspective on addiction. Addiction isn't a "weakness". It's a physical and/or psychological dependence on a drug. Addicts aren't always some street person who made bad decisions. I will tell you this... during my self detox... if someone would have had a syringe full of heroin handy... i would have taken it.. I know I would have. That's the power of the drug.

Alcohol is a drug... just like heroin, Meth, cocaine or any other. If you think that it's different.. you are deluding yourself.

Finally.. when i was a younger man... I smoked a little pot here and there... withdrawal symptoms? ummmm... none.

Having DETOXED both heroin addicts and alcoholics in the NAV, given my druthers I'd rather go though heroin withdrawls that alcohol withdrawls.

The pain and suffering harden alcoholics go though on the path to DETOX is horrible.

They have to be put on watch to guard against suicide, they're often terrified and apparently also in a lot of pain.

The difference is in the level of addiction. Not everyone who has a glass of wine with dinner is the same kind of alcoholic that will suffer a painful detox, but it doesn't take much to get to a painful level of heroin addiction.

True, I suppose

But low level heroin addicts don't end up in detox.

Neither do moderate drinkers of alcohol.

I'm describing the experiences that serious alcoholics and serious heroin addicts go through.

Believe me alcoholics have it much MUCH worse.

Lots of drugs used to be legal, see link. Taken in moderation most things would not be harmful or interfere with your life, but humans are often not moderate beings. Children with candy, adults with whatever. Today the wealthy go to the doctor, the poor to the corner pusher. There is an interesting moral problem here - or lifestyle problem - how do we learn moderation in all things?

Top 10 Drugs That Used To Be Legal | Tip Top Tens

Last edited:

Yep, an you'd better make sure you chop up that marry-ja-wanna really really fine cause ......

Bucs is correct(did I just say that?) Alchohol is a drug. So is nicotine, caffine, asprin.....

Btw, Mississippi imposed state-wide alcohol prohibition in 1907. Furthermore, many counties throughout the country are dry today.

Believe it or not, but when I was in the Navy back in the late '60s early '70s, they showed us Reefer Madness as an anti-drug training film.

I remember it as one of the flicks they'e show to stoners at the midnight movies during the 70's

Crime is a symptom of the addiction.
....And, addiction is (typically) a symptom of long-term/pre-drug personal-issues/problems.

Anyone who knows an addict....and, has known that person (from the time they were both young kids)....also knows that addict had problems loooooooooong before the drugs/alcohol came-along.​

Forum List

Back