Contraception - a discussion

The Catholic Church is opposed to contraception for moral reasons.

Where is the morality in creating a life when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the morality when disease is spread?

Where is the morality when a women is the victim of domestic violence? When a women is forced to conceive and then trapped as the child become a lever to gain more power and more control?

6a00e0097e4e68883301538e878807970b-800wi

"Aw, fer crissakes.....we're just talkin' about a lil' job-security, here!!!!"

Where is the morality in creating a life when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the morality when a women is the victim of domestic violence? When a women is forced to conceive and then trapped as the child become a lever to gain more power and more control?

The Catholic Church speaks to all of these things, dumbass.

It also speaks out against the death penalty.

Next!

Personally, I'm a fan of contraception.

As far as your questions about the morality of other issues, I would bet the Church also views those as important.

However, when it comes to the soul and the physical being, in the Church's eyes, the soul trumps the former. And, they have always wanted more souls to watch over. Fill that basket, you know.

Not my view, either. But, I'm not the Church.

And, I have no interest in telling the Church what to do (as if they'd listen anyway); I just cast my 'vote' concerning the Church with my feet. But, as I am a big fan of the Constitution, I sure as hell don't want my government telling the Church or any other religious organization what is kosher to believe and what isn't.

If the Church believes that the soul is more important than the physical being, that is their prerogative.

(I won't be joining them or 'going back' anytime soon, though.)

So, in your opinion, a church which engages in animal sacrifice or practices polyandry/polygamy should be beyond the reach of law?

As far as your questions about the morality of other issues, I would bet the Church also views those as important.

However, when it comes to the soul and the physical being, in the Church's eyes, the soul trumps the former. And, they have always wanted more souls to watch over. Fill that basket, you know.

And, I have no interest in telling the Church what to do (as if they'd listen anyway); I just cast my 'vote' concerning the Church with my feet. But, as I am a big fan of the Constitution, I sure as hell don't want my government telling the Church or any other religious organization what is kosher to believe and what isn't.

If the Church believes that the soul is more important than the physical being, that is their prerogative.

So, in your opinion, a church which engages in animal sacrifice or practices polyandry/polygamy should be beyond the reach of law?
Actually, I'm a fan of the First Amendment and agree with the SCOTUS on what few limitations we place on it.

Food and clean water are rare commodities??

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Not in this country they are not. The church is a global institution.... or have you missed the catholic charities commercials with the starving children in third world countries with no water, food, shelter or education?

Oh yes I've seen the commercials. but I don't trust everything ad I see on TV.

when you force women to have children they may not want, in many cases they become dependent on the state for services such as medicaid, food stamp, welfare, the foster system, etc etc.​
HEY!!

If you've got some other way to keep some uppity-woman (who won't play by God's rules) in her place, "conservatives" are open to any-and-all suggestions!!!!

Last edited:

There is a difference between disallowing a behavior and forcing someone into a behavior.

Actually, I'm a fan of the First Amendment and agree with the SCOTUS on what few limitations we place on it.

That's not responsive to the question. And to suggest that members of the Supreme Court are always wise and just disregards history.

when you force women to have children they may not want, in many cases they become dependent on the state for services such as medicaid, food stamp, welfare, the foster system, etc etc.​
If you've got some other way to keep some uppity-woman (who won't play by God's rules) in her place, "conservatives" are open to any-and-all suggestions!!!!

Are you trying to suggest all conservatives are religious? If so you should rethink that angle.

I can tell everyone that many years ago contraception was an issue for our family. We couldnt afford it. The result was a beautiful Baby Boy. The little cuss is now 6'1" Married has is own house and works for Boeing. :D

There is a difference between disallowing a behavior and forcing someone into a behavior.

So the church is disabllowing its members from using birth control, the punishment for doing so will be the loss of entry into heaven. How is that different than forcing a behavior?

Hold on. What country are you talking about? Food and water are scarce? Educational opportunity is non-existant? I know you're not talking about America. If you talking about another country than that's the country's problem, not the church's.

The Catholic are against contraceptives because they want as many members as they can get. It has nothing to do with morals.

Please see syreen's post above, it is clear, concise and convincing. Now, if that doesn't knock her off her chair I'll give up.

*passes totally out!*

Why is it literally 100% impossible for the liberal mind to understand that just because you don't want government involved in something doesn't mean you're against it?

I'm in favor of feeding, clothing, and giving shelter to the poor. I'm against all the gov't institutions that tax our brains out and who inefficiently attempt to provide some of these things.

Now am I just a genius who doesn't know it, or is it really not THAT hard to understand such a simple concept?

I am with you.

If you cant feed, house and take care of a baby you have no business having one.

If you can't feed, house, and take care of a baby, you have to be really fricking retarded to get pregnant.

"Sorry, kid, I am too stupid to figure out how not to get pregnant, and so you have to pay the price and die for my idiocy."

Last edited:

There isn't any but keep in mind that there is a section of the Catholic Church that believes suffering is an essential component in finding absolution. According to them that's all irrelevant because children born to those circumstances would have the opportunity to experience suffering and through it have a greater chance of finding God. Or so they say at least.
....So priests were (actually) saving all those young-boys, huh???

Wow.....talk about being misunderstanding those poor priests!!!

393.gif

So the church is disabllowing its members from using birth control, the punishment for doing so will be the loss of entry into heaven. How is that different than forcing a behavior?

Move goal posts much? Your question was about what the State can do to a religion.

And if you can't see the difference between forcing a behavior and not allowing one, I cannot help you.

Last edited:

That's not responsive to the question. And to suggest that members of the Supreme Court are always wise and just disregards history.
It sure is responsive. SCOTUS rulings protect some animal sacrifices and has not seen any need to overturn statute that polygamy is not allowed.

When it comes to this stuff, the SCOTUS usually cites the words of Jefferson where he said that religious beliefs are not actions and we only rule on actions, erring on the side of protecting beliefs. And, as our laws are for persons, well, it sucks to be a chicken near practitioners of Santoria, for example.

Last edited:
Food and clean water are rare commodities??

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Not in this country they are not. The church is a global institution.... or have you missed the catholic charities commercials with the starving children in third world countries with no water, food, shelter or education?

Oh yes I've seen the commercials. but I don't trust everything ad I see on TV.

Wry's point is.... that not suggesting or providing contraceptives in countries like this, only exacerbates the problem that they are trying to fix. Why would you support giving birth to more babies into such desperate squalor.

Forum List

Back