Contraception - a discussion

The Catholic Church is opposed to contraception for moral reasons.

Where is the morality in creating a life when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the morality when disease is spread?

Where is the morality when a women is the victim of domestic violence? When a women is forced to conceive and then trapped as the child become a lever to gain more power and more control?

There isn't any but keep in mind that there is a section of the Catholic Church that believes suffering is an essential component in finding absolution. According to them that's all irrelevant because children born to those circumstances would have the opportunity to experience suffering and through it have a greater chance of finding God. Or so they say at least.

And where exactly do they say this?

Why is it literally 100% impossible for the liberal mind to understand that just because you don't want government involved in something doesn't mean you're against it?

I'm in favor of feeding, clothing, and giving shelter to the poor. I'm against all the gov't institutions that tax our brains out and who inefficiently attempt to provide some of these things.

Now am I just a genius who doesn't know it, or is it really not THAT hard to understand such a simple concept?

No you're not a genius, though the ability to hold two contradictory beliefs suggests something, something other than genius. Parse you second paragraph and maybe you'll understand my point.

So, in your opinion, a church which engages in animal sacrifice or practices polyandry/polygamy should be beyond the reach of law?

There is a difference between disallowing a behavior and forcing someone into a behavior.

So the church is disabllowing its members from using birth control, the punishment for doing so will be the loss of entry into heaven. How is that different than forcing a behavior?

If that were true, you'd have a point. But it is not, so you don't.

Another fail. You're on a roll! Good luck with that! Rick will be proud.

Yup, if you can't provide for the child don't have it.

If you can't provide, don't get pregnant.

And were are the men in this little equation of ... pregnant and providing?

You like it both ways. If you want to kill the kid, the father has no say. If you decide to keep the kid, the law is on your side to make him provide.

What's the problem?

If you picked a loser who can't provide, DON'T GET PREGNANT.

Not in this country they are not. The church is a global institution.... or have you missed the catholic charities commercials with the starving children in third world countries with no water, food, shelter or education?

Oh yes I've seen the commercials. but I don't trust everything ad I see on TV.

Wry's point is.... that not suggesting or providing contraceptives in countries like this, only exacerbates the problem that they are trying to fix. Why would you support giving birth to more babies into such desperate squalor.

Good grief, stop it. Now I must give you a positive rep.

If someone invents a male birth control pill, they will make TRILLIONS.

You won't be seeing any guys forgetting to take their pill, that's for sure.

As said by many, if you can't afford a dollar for a condom, you have two choices. 1) keep it in your pants or 2) keep your legs closed ... Depending on you sex.

To force a church to go against its beliefs just so some poor fool can have sex without danger of getting a girl pregnant makes so little sense I can't believe people here are even defending it. The redirect to world poverty... Water shortages... The church .... Not a single word said about the idiocy of someone that poor thinking about mating.

If you want to take away religious freedoms, you better come up with a better plan then 'but I can't afford a $1 condom'

Not in this country they are not. The church is a global institution.... or have you missed the catholic charities commercials with the starving children in third world countries with no water, food, shelter or education?

Wry's point is.... that not suggesting or providing contraceptives in countries like this, only exacerbates the problem that they are trying to fix. Why would you support giving birth to more babies into such desperate squalor.

Personally I don't think the well being of the worlds poor is any of our governments business. Now if private charities wish to help that's a totally different thing and that's assuming the people will actually utilize the contraception that's provided.

and it will be free in every sense of the word.

As said by many, if you can't afford a dollar for a condom, you have two choices. 1) keep it in your pants or 2) keep your legs closed ... Depending on you sex.

To force a church to go against its beliefs just so some poor fool can have sex without danger of getting a girl pregnant makes so little sense I can't believe people here are even defending it. The redirect to world poverty... Water shortages... The church .... Not a single word said about the idiocy of someone that poor thinking about mating.

If you want to take away religious freedoms, you better come up with a better plan then 'but I can't afford a $1 condom'
maybe churchs shouldnt operate hospitals then. if they have a problem with performing or providing certain services that are part of that business model, then maybe they shouldnt be in that business to begin with.

why would an intelligent person get involved in a business in which parts of it could violate their beliefs? that would be like a devout muslim opening a liquor store but refusing to sell booze.

There will never be such a pill.

It would eliminate the need for women to have birth control and also eliminate the need for abortions thus putting many people and companies out of work and business.

There is a difference between disallowing a behavior and forcing someone into a behavior.

So the church is disabllowing its members from using birth control, the punishment for doing so will be the loss of entry into heaven. How is that different than forcing a behavior?

It was a question, not a statement of fact. The church does prohibit birth control, does it not? Is the use of BC something one must confess to return to a state of grace? If this is true, one must conclude (if they are honest) that such is a form of power and control over the freedom of the individual, for without grace entry to heaven is problematic.

maybe churchs shouldnt operate hospitals then. if they have a problem with performing or providing certain services that are part of that business model, then maybe they shouldnt be in that business to begin with.

why would an intelligent person get involved in a business in which parts of it could violate their beliefs? that would be like a devout muslim opening a liquor store but refusing to sell booze.

I guess I should have editted in 'business discussion or hospital running to the redirect comment in my original post

Good grief, stop it. Now I must give you a positive rep.

You have already passed me out..please don't try an kill me off.

:lol:

It was a question, not a statement of fact. The church does prohibit birth control, does it not? Is the use of BC something one must confess to return to a state of grace? If this is true, one must conclude (if they are honest) that such is a form of power and control over the freedom of the individual, for without grace entry to heaven is problematic.

The church is not the one who decides who goes to heaven or hell.

The church's doctrine does not permit birth control but it does not use any force to get the congregation to comply. They leave that up to the individuals own conscience and consequence.

The Catholic Church is opposed to contraception for moral reasons.

Where is the morality in creating a life when food and clean water are rare commodities? Where poverty exists and educational opportunities are non existent?

Where is the morality when disease is spread?

Where is the morality when a women is the victim of domestic violence? When a women is forced to conceive and then trapped as the child become a lever to gain more power and more control?

Food and clean water are rare commodities??

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Wow.....you White-trash red-necks are pretty, fuckin' stupid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqg1Hu0PMG0]Colbert Does Water - YouTube[/ame]

It ain't science-fiction :ahole-1: .

It's called......

......and, Dean Kamen is the....

:udaman:

Why is it literally 100% impossible for the liberal mind to understand that just because you don't want government involved in something doesn't mean you're against it?

I'm in favor of feeding, clothing, and giving shelter to the poor. I'm against all the gov't institutions that tax our brains out and who inefficiently attempt to provide some of these things.

Now am I just a genius who doesn't know it, or is it really not THAT hard to understand such a simple concept?

No you're not a genius, though the ability to hold two contradictory beliefs suggests something, something other than genius. Parse you second paragraph and maybe you'll understand my point.

Alright, by all means please use your liberal mind to help my simple brain understand this concept.

I willingly give money to charities to help the poor+speak out against gov't institutions that take away the aspect of choice and aren't as efficient as charities=I'm against giving money to help the poor, even though that's exactly what I did.

Please please help me understand that equation.

Personally I don't think the well being of the worlds poor is any of our governments business. Now if private charities wish to help that's a totally different thing and that's assuming the people will actually utilize the contraception that's provided.

The catholic church could care less about governments. They are a "government" of their own.

Catholic doctrine does not change to accommodate governments.

Catholic doctrine does not allow birth control. End of story.

This is some really weird retroactive time warp shit.

You seem pretty clueless to the fact that Catholic hospitals have been around a long time and have not been violating their beliefs. Their "business model" has been thriving.

If you want to go the whole muslim route, then to make your completely false analogy a true one, what Obama has done is force a Muslim-operated convenience store which has been around for more than a century to start selling booze.

And then here comes you, saying "Gee, why would a Muslim have a business model that violates his beliefs? I don't get it!" :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

There will never be such a pill.

It would eliminate the need for women to have birth control and also eliminate the need for abortions thus putting many people and companies out of work and business.

It would create far more businesses and jobs than it would destroy.

Forum List

Back