Catastrophic damage

They did the right things....had they called for an evacuation, the highways and roads would have swallowed these people alive. What they should have done, is evacuate days and I mean days prior to this....but people don't like leaving their THINGS!!

The forecast did not include "inundation". 34 inches and counting is beyond the predictions.

The Houston mayor said it was not supposed to hit them or he would have ordered evacuations, in news conference this morning. I can tell you he is lying. Or his has incompetent staff, or they lied to him. Anyone doubts it, let me know. I will post nws forecasts, the cone, nhc forecasts, etc to show the truth.

It really pisses me off. Reminds me of another storm.

Last edited:
NO, the most vulnerable areas and people should have been evacuated. Not the entire city,
They did the right things....had they called for an evacuation, the highways and roads would have swallowed these people alive. What they should have done, is evacuate days and I mean days prior to this....but people don't like leaving their THINGS!!

As for evacuations ordered:

'There's nowhere to go': Texan recalls abandoning her home amid deadly floodwaters

No where TO go:

As Hurricane Harvey lingers, citizens reach out with a helping hand

40f7ef5706678d9da590fe4ee1e0b8cd_Zh_rkXKWOw-8bKRRFIT8GDaleKx12JSh-uvptNF_yZr5sJ5lDJG2WQaGH2KiefTjmgA2tQibFxA-~A_2_0.jpg

Scroll back up to restore default view.
“If I start crying, I’m so sorry,” Ashley Yell began.

Yell, a resident of Dickinson, Texas, evacuated her home early Sunday after Tropical Storm Harvey brought massive flooding to Gulf Coast cities. Harvey touched down as a Category 4 storm Friday, and rescue efforts are still underway in Houston and the surrounding area. In an interview, Yell described how her family evacuated their flooded home, relying on strangers driving boats to ferry them to higher and higher ground until they finally made it safely to a friend’s home.

Yell and her husband, Travis, decided to have their 1-year-old daughter Murphy sleep in their bed. When she started stirring, Travis volunteered to change her diaper and get her a new bottle.

“When he stepped down, there was two feet of water off of our bed,” Yell recalled. “So we both got up and there was already water throughout our entire house.”

After that discovery, they wasted no time, quickly packing food and diapers for their daughter.

“We jumped into the car and realized there’s nowhere to go,” Yell said. “All the major roads around us in a circle were all underwater. I had called 911 to ask them if there was any access to just leave and they said no, just stay to higher ground.”

Yell estimated that for two hours, they hunkered down in their car near their home. But when water started to enter the vehicle, they went to a neighbor’s home.

“Their home is just a little bit higher and there was no water inside,” Yell said. “Well, after a few moments, now water was starting to come inside their house, and it was rising very fast, coming in through their windows.”

Someone with a boat took Yell, her husband and their daughter to another neighbor’s house, which was on higher ground and where the water was “just maybe ankle-deep.”

“We stayed there throughout most of the day, until water started rising up to our knees and we realized we needed to get out, it’s rising too high,” Yell said. “So we were contacting family and friends and all of our friends were trying to get to us, but the water was so high in the area.”

22562699da54f3ad73cc4cdde912e04c

Being a member of a hurricane forum for almost 2 decades, I can tell you what the models were showing, what the nhc and nws were saying, and what mets in the Houston area were predicting. I can show you want the recon flights were finding.
Much of this chaos could have been prevented. All of it? No. But they rolled the dice and lost.

Last edited:
If they had safely been moved out of the most vulnerable areas before the storm, made contingency plans for the probability of what was being forecast, shelters ready to be opened, etc, they could have safely moved out those willing to take heed of what was coming at them. And had less to deal with when it exceeded even the horrific predictions that had been issued.
As for evacuations ordered:

'There's nowhere to go': Texan recalls abandoning her home amid deadly floodwaters

No where TO go:

As Hurricane Harvey lingers, citizens reach out with a helping hand

40f7ef5706678d9da590fe4ee1e0b8cd_Zh_rkXKWOw-8bKRRFIT8GDaleKx12JSh-uvptNF_yZr5sJ5lDJG2WQaGH2KiefTjmgA2tQibFxA-~A_2_0.jpg

Scroll back up to restore default view.
“If I start crying, I’m so sorry,” Ashley Yell began.

Yell, a resident of Dickinson, Texas, evacuated her home early Sunday after Tropical Storm Harvey brought massive flooding to Gulf Coast cities. Harvey touched down as a Category 4 storm Friday, and rescue efforts are still underway in Houston and the surrounding area. In an interview, Yell described how her family evacuated their flooded home, relying on strangers driving boats to ferry them to higher and higher ground until they finally made it safely to a friend’s home.

Yell and her husband, Travis, decided to have their 1-year-old daughter Murphy sleep in their bed. When she started stirring, Travis volunteered to change her diaper and get her a new bottle.

“When he stepped down, there was two feet of water off of our bed,” Yell recalled. “So we both got up and there was already water throughout our entire house.”

After that discovery, they wasted no time, quickly packing food and diapers for their daughter.

“We jumped into the car and realized there’s nowhere to go,” Yell said. “All the major roads around us in a circle were all underwater. I had called 911 to ask them if there was any access to just leave and they said no, just stay to higher ground.”

Yell estimated that for two hours, they hunkered down in their car near their home. But when water started to enter the vehicle, they went to a neighbor’s home.

“Their home is just a little bit higher and there was no water inside,” Yell said. “Well, after a few moments, now water was starting to come inside their house, and it was rising very fast, coming in through their windows.”

Someone with a boat took Yell, her husband and their daughter to another neighbor’s house, which was on higher ground and where the water was “just maybe ankle-deep.”

“We stayed there throughout most of the day, until water started rising up to our knees and we realized we needed to get out, it’s rising too high,” Yell said. “So we were contacting family and friends and all of our friends were trying to get to us, but the water was so high in the area.”

22562699da54f3ad73cc4cdde912e04c

I am angry, because warnings were not heeded until too late. Even the Governor told those in those areas to evacuate while the mayor said don't.

Many of these areas have flooded previously. Look up the tax day flood. They knew it was coming.

Evacuation costs money, and requires able bodied individuals to locate or be located. Too many homeless for the number of shelters. One hospital had to be evacuated, imagine that effort. The last Houston evacuation caused more deaths than staying probably would have, and Emmett, the emergency ops manager, did not order it in any event. He said the city could not evacuate 2 million(.)

It does cost money, and that is what taxes are also for. In flood prone areas, vulnerable hurricane areas, you better hope there is tax money set aside for just such events. And a disaster declaration was declared before the storm which gave access to other funds, as well as other resources.
And several hospitals had to be evacuated.

You keep speaking of evacuating millions. Well, listening to the Harris county flood district there are a couple of hundred thousand homes that have had to be evacuated, which does not equate to millions that needed to be evacuated. These vulnerable areas could have been safely done before the storm.
Evacuation costs money, and requires able bodied individuals to locate or be located. Too many homeless for the number of shelters. One hospital had to be evacuated, imagine that effort. The last Houston evacuation caused more deaths than staying probably would have, and Emmett, the emergency ops manager, did not order it in any event. He said the city could not evacuate 2 million(.)

He has declared evacuations which the mayor has not before it was too late. And at a time like this, who gives a damn what letter is beside their name. I don't. It is the safety of humans that I care about. To make excuses for anyone because of that letter is reprehensible.

Harris County chief on Houston's "massive, dire situation"

Chief executive officer, a Judge, and a Republican, Ed Emmett, decided not to order an evacuation(.)

II quoted Ed Emmett, and have posted the quote:

Emmett is also defending the decision not to evacuate. “To suggest we should have evacuated two million people is an outrageous statement,” he said, according to The Wall Street Journal. “What we’re facing now is an effort to respond to a tragedy.…We’ve never seen water like this before.”

It is outrageous because someone keeps using a false figure of how many needed evacuated.
II quoted Ed Emmett, and have posted the quote:

Emmett is also defending the decision not to evacuate. “To suggest we should have evacuated two million people is an outrageous statement,” he said, according to The Wall Street Journal. “What we’re facing now is an effort to respond to a tragedy.…We’ve never seen water like this before.”

The Governor appointed him Judge I presume. I have seen 4 million and 6 million, does any one actually know?

2.5 million were supposed to be evacuated in 2005, so 2 million sounds low now:

Looming over the decision not to evacuate was Houston’s experience with Hurricane Rita. More than 100 people died while evacuating as 2.5 million people fled that storm in 2005. Some of the stories were horrific—23 nursing home patients were killed as a bus evacuating them caught fire and exploded near Dallas. Houston hasn’t ordered evacuations ahead of hurricanes since then.

Texas Governor, Mayor Split Over Whether Houston Needed Evacuations

Will the US pay for this? Should the tens of thousands to rescue done more to "help themselves"?
I have read death toll, 5, with too many areas underwater to even search, and it continues to rain:
Water 'is swallowing us up': Catastrophic floods hit Houston
MICHAEL GRACZYK,Associated Press 23 minutes ago
HOUSTON (AP) — Rescuers answered thousands of desperate calls for help Sunday as floodwaters from the remnants of Hurricane Harvey rose high enough to begin filling second-story homes, and authorities urged stranded families to seek refuge on rooftops.

A fleet of helicopters, airboats and high-water vehicles confronted flooding so widespread that authorities had trouble pinpointing the worst areas. Rescuers got too many calls to respond to each one and had to prioritize life-and-death situations.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez used Twitter to field calls for assistance for those trapped inside homes, attics and vehicles. Among those seeking help was a woman who posted: "I have 2 children with me and the water is swallowing us up."

People used inflatable beach toys, rubber rafts and even air mattresses to get through the rising waters to higher ground. Others simply waded while carrying plastic trash bags stuffed with their belongings.

Officials urged people not to crawl into attics but to get on top of them. The Coast Guard suggested they wave sheets or towels to draw attention to themselves.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said authorities had received more than 2,000 calls for help and would be opening the city's main convention center as a shelter. He urged drivers to stay off flooded roads to avoid adding to the number of stranded people.

"I don't need to tell anyone this is a very, very serious and unprecedented storm," Turner told a news conference. "We have several hundred structural flooding reports. We expect that number to rise pretty dramatically."

Police evacuated two apartment complexes overnight in the Greenspoint neighborhood, rescuing more than 50 children from rising water. Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo stood in waist-high water during a livestream post on Twitter.

Rainfall of more than 4 inches per hour resulted in water levels higher than in any recent floods and higher than during Tropical Storm Allison in June 2001, said Jeff Linder of flood control district in Harris County, which includes Houston.

Emergency teams came by land, water and air.

In Friendswood near Houston, authorities asked people with flat-bottomed airboats or fuel for them to help rescue people, KPRC-TV in Houston reported Sunday morning.

In Houston, dump trucks and city buses were used to ferry residents to higher ground.

The Coast Guard, which received more than 300 requests for help, deployed five helicopters and asked for additional aircraft from New Orleans.

Staff at a Houston television station broadcasting live coverage of the floods had to evacuate after water from the nearby Buffalo Bayou started to gush into the building.

KHOU-TV tweeted images Sunday of water pushing through a front door and flooding the lobby. The anchors and news operations then moved to a second floor before finally abandoning the station.

The director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Brock Long, said the government expected to conduct a "mass care mission" and predicted that the aftermath of the storm would require FEMA's involvement for years.

"This disaster's going to be a landmark event."

President Donald Trump tweeted Sunday morning that he would visit Texas.

"I will be going to Texas as soon as that trip can be made without causing disruption," the president posted on Twitter. "The focus must be life and safety."

The rescues unfolded a day after the hurricane settled over the Texas coastline. It was blamed for killing at least two people and injuring up to 14.

Anxiety ran high throughout the region between Corpus Christi and Houston because some of the areas with the greatest hurricane damage were inaccessible to rescuers. And the forecast for days of steady rain threatened to inundate the region's flat landscape with as much as 40 inches (100 centimeters).

In the island community of Port Aransas, population 3,800, officials were unable to fully survey the town because of "massive" damage. Police and heavy equipment had only made it into the northernmost street.

"I can tell you I have a very bad feeling and that's about it," said Mayor Charles Bujan, who had called for a mandatory evacuation but did not know how many heeded the order.

Some of the worst damage appeared to be in Rockport, a coastal city of about 10,000 that was directly in the storm's path. The mayor said his community took a blow "right on the nose" that left "widespread devastation," including homes, businesses and schools that were heavily damaged. Some structures were destroyed.

Rockport's roads were a mess of toppled power poles and other debris. Harvey's relentless wind tore the metal sides off the high school gym and twisted the steel door frame of its auditorium.

"We're still in the very infancy stage of getting this recovery started," said Aransas County spokesman Larry Sinclair.

One person was killed in Aransas County when in a fire at home during the storm, county Judge C.H. "Burt" Mills Jr. said.

Another person — a woman who tried to get out of her vehicle in high water — died in flooding in Harris County, where Houston is located, , though authorities had not confirmed a cause of death, said Gary Norman, a spokesman for the Houston emergency operations center.

Meanwhile, the storm was barely moving. Rainfall totals varied across the region, with Galveston receiving around 8 inches (20 centimeters), Houston 11 (28 centimeters) and Aransas 10 (25 centimeters). Tiny Austwell got 15 inches (38 centimeters).

The fiercest hurricane to hit the U.S. in more than a decade came ashore late Friday about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Corpus Christi as a mammoth Category 4 storm with 130 mph (209 kph) winds.

Harvey weakened Saturday to a tropical storm. By Sunday morning the system was centered about 65 miles southeast of San Antonio, with maximum sustained winds of about 45 mph (72.42 kph), according to the National Hurricane Center, which described the flooding as "catastrophic."

Harvey came ashore as the fiercest hurricane to hit the U.S. in 13 years and the strongest to strike Texas since 1961's Hurricane Carla, the most powerful Texas hurricane on record.

Water 'is swallowing us up': Catastrophic floods hit Houston
___

Associated Press writers Juan Lozano and Nomaan Merchant in Houston; Tammy Webber in Chicago; David Phillip in Dickinson, Texas; and Jamie Stengle, David Warren and Claudia Lauer and in Dallas contributed to this report.

Why do you put "help themselves" in quotes? You are asking if they should have done something to help themselves more. Most of the people in Harris County are here for one reason only: jobs. Petrochemical and oil and gas. They did the right thing, they relocated from places that had no work, literally from around the world, to get a good job.

Now you want to blame them for the fact that the U.S. and other countries have been ignoring climate change for the last 30 years? Climate scientists have been saying for decades that hurricanes were going to get bigger, stronger and more destructive. And you know what the scariest part of those claims are? Harvey was only officially classified as a hurricane for a couple of days. It's actually just a gigantic, catastrophic tropical storm.

Forum List

Back