Lawmakers Rush To Stop Catastrophic Level Event At Texas Oil Fields

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
There is increasing alarm about West Texas oil fields that continue to produce toxic water leaks.

What's happening

The latest event was detected in Crane County in early December, when brine water poured out of the earth and over ranchland, Marfa Public Radioreported. The well wasn't plugged until Jan. 29, and the remediation project cost $2.5 million.

The water contained 154,000 chloride parts per million and at times flowed at 330 barrels, or 13,860 gallons, per hour, "creating a marsh-like scene," Mitch Borden reported. It was not always clear where it was coming from.

There was a big crack," said Sarah Stogner, an area attorney, rancher, and critic of the RRC. "You could hear the water flowing underneath your feet, and you could see bubbles. It was like being at the beach."

Why is this concerning?

The problem — perhaps caused by the injection of oil and gas wastewater underground and resulting increases in subsurface pressure — is so prevalent and productive that one leak has spawned a 60-acre body of water, Lake Boehmer. In addition to water, that abandoned wildcat well emits deadly hydrogen sulfide gas. These "zombie wells" are causing other issues too, including sinkholes.

Lawmakers rush to stop 'catastrophic-level event' at Texas oil fields: 'We are going to have complete and utter ecological devastation'
Lawmakers rush to stop 'catastrophic-level event' at Texas oil fields: 'We are going to have complete and utter ecological devastation'

The bill is coming due

There is increasing alarm about West Texas oil fields that continue to produce toxic water leaks.

What's happening

The latest event was detected in Crane County in early December, when brine water poured out of the earth and over ranchland, Marfa Public Radioreported. The well wasn't plugged until Jan. 29, and the remediation project cost $2.5 million.

The water contained 154,000 chloride parts per million and at times flowed at 330 barrels, or 13,860 gallons, per hour, "creating a marsh-like scene," Mitch Borden reported. It was not always clear where it was coming from.

There was a big crack," said Sarah Stogner, an area attorney, rancher, and critic of the RRC. "You could hear the water flowing underneath your feet, and you could see bubbles. It was like being at the beach."

Why is this concerning?

The problem — perhaps caused by the injection of oil and gas wastewater underground and resulting increases in subsurface pressure — is so prevalent and productive that one leak has spawned a 60-acre body of water, Lake Boehmer. In addition to water, that abandoned wildcat well emits deadly hydrogen sulfide gas. These "zombie wells" are causing other issues too, including sinkholes.

The bill is coming due
It's texass. Nothing will get done.

First preventable problem.....Living anywhere near a West TX oilfield.

It would me like me deciding to live next to a wind farm and then bitching about the blight upon the landscape that they cause.

It would me like me deciding to live next to a wind farm and then bitching about the blight upon the landscape that they cause.

What makes you think the residents weren't there first?

What's happening

Why is this concerning?

The bill is coming due
Been coming due for a long time now. As has been noted, Texas is controlled by the oil interests..and no one wishes to spend the money or assign the liability..so we'll have these little warning articles and such--and nothing will get done~

Been coming due for a long time now. As has been noted, Texas is controlled by the oil interests..and no one wishes to spend the money or assign the liability..so we'll have these little warning articles and such--and nothing will get done~

When are the green weenies gonna fit these?

OIP.zN2w1N3gl6_PH3S_DmL8MwHaCf

R.ef272d3f013da1fa823954c5b2503465

"In the oil fields north of Fort Stockton, a large leak discovered at the beginning of December has joined a growing list of aging oil and gas wells in the area that have sat quietly for decades only to reawaken and spew toxic water."

Sure ... they pump used fracking fluids deep enough to avoid water sources ... but the whole landscape is permeated with holes and old wells ... the fracking fluids won't stay down for long ...

Brine itself is like sea water, and not generally considered "toxic" ... chlorine evaporates ... what else is toxic with fracking fluids? ...

When are the green weenies gonna fit these?

OIP.zN2w1N3gl6_PH3S_DmL8MwHaCf

R.ef272d3f013da1fa823954c5b2503465
I’d rather live near abandoned windmills than an oil field leaking toxic chemicals into the water supply and into my property. But hey windmills don‘t case cancer…oh wait! You’re MAGA, MAGAs believe windmills cause cancer!

I’d rather live near abandoned windmills than an oil field leaking toxic chemicals into the water supply and into my property. But hey windmills don‘t case cancer…oh wait! You’re MAGA, MAGAs believe windmills cause cancer!
Up and running or not, they are are blight on the landscape.....I'd sooner have a supermax prison on my property line.

Up and running or not, they are are blight on the landscape.....I'd sooner have a supermax prison on my property line.

The question is whether you want fracking fluids boiling up and flowing across your land ...

... or windmills ...

I'd take the supermax myself ... build housing and sell rent to the guards ... [ka'ching] ...

The question is whether you want fracking fluids boiling up and flowing across your land ...

... or windmills ...

I'd take the supermax myself ... build housing and sell rent to the guards ... [ka'ching] ...
We used to have barracks and worked seven days on and seven days off.....It was great....Take a one shift vacation and you had 21 days off!

LOL....Of course by the 7th day I was right much of a grizzly bear. ;)

You realize that tRumplings do that literally all the time, right?

We used to have barracks and worked seven days on and seven days off.....It was great....Take a one shift vacation and you had 21 days off!

LOL....Of course by the 7th day I was right much of a grizzly bear. ;)

Well, if I owned property next door ... I'd run a clean brothel ... take care of our boys-n-blue ... and any prisoners you favor [wink wink nudge nudge] ...

"In the oil fields north of Fort Stockton, a large leak discovered at the beginning of December has joined a growing list of aging oil and gas wells in the area that have sat quietly for decades only to reawaken and spew toxic water."

Sure ... they pump used fracking fluids deep enough to avoid water sources ... but the whole landscape is permeated with holes and old wells ... the fracking fluids won't stay down for long ...

Brine itself is like sea water, and not generally considered "toxic" ... chlorine evaporates ... what else is toxic with fracking fluids? ...
They bring up stuff that has been dissolved into the brine. Radioactive elements like selenium and radium to start with and then there's other heavy metals and oxides. Then there's the brine iself which isn't made with your garden variety table salts.

"If we don't stop this now we are going to have complete and utter ecological devastation anywhere we've had historic oil and gas wells," Stogner said.

:rofl:

"If we don't stop this now we are going to have complete and utter ecological devastation anywhere we've had historic oil and gas wells," Stogner said.

:rofl:

You laugh? ... is this because you think fracking fluids are safe for the environment? ... or maybe characterized the Permian Plains as being riddled with deep holes is wrong? ... you're our man in Texas, drive out and look for us ...

You laugh? ... is this because you think fracking fluids are safe for the environment? ... or maybe characterized the Permian Plains as being riddled with deep holes is wrong? ... you're our man in Texas, drive out and look for us ...
All of the above but mainly how emotional and wrong Stogner's statement was.

All of the above but mainly how emotional and wrong Stogner's statement was.

Radioactive brine flooding across the land isn't an environmental catastrophe ... only humans are intolerant of this type pollution, the soil will cleanse itself ... ever notice where radioactivity was spilled, the environment thrives now? ... no humans ...

Ha ha ha ... the Permium Basin isn't riddled with test bores ... April Fool's to you too ...

Radioactive brine flooding across the land isn't an environmental catastrophe ... only humans are intolerant of this type pollution, the soil will cleanse itself ... ever notice where radioactivity was spilled, the environment thrives now? ... no humans ...

Ha ha ha ... the Permium Basin isn't riddled with test bores ... April Fool's to you too ...
"If we don't stop this now we are going to have complete and utter ecological devastation anywhere we've had historic oil and gas wells,"

Really?

Forum List

Back