Bush: 'I'm worried that I will be the last Republican president'

Cleveland (CNN)Former President George W. Bush fretted to a group of former aides and advisers in April that he was worried he could be the "last Republican president."

The 43rd president's remark, at a gathering in Dallas of his administration's staffers, reflected a dim view of the party's prospects at a time when the primary contest was realistically down to Donald Trump and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

"I'm worried that I will be the last Republican president," Bush told a clutch of former aides and advisers.

The comment was reported by Politico. Bush's office declined to comment to CNN.

Bush -- as well as his father, former President George H.W. Bush, and his brother, 2016 presidential candidate Jeb Bush -- are skipping this year's Republican National Convention in Cleveland. So are the party's last two presidential nominees, 2012's Mitt Romney and 2008's Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bob Dole, the 1996 GOP nominee and the only living Republican presidential choice who is attending the convention, has criticized Republicans who are skipping it.
George W. Bush: 'I'm worried that I will be the last Republican president' - CNNPolitics.com

... and planet Earth throws a party. :0)

Since the Reich wing of the party has taken over, Bush may have a good point.

It looks like Republicans are headed back into the 40's & 50's where Democrats own everything. Republicans will be voting for blue dog Democrats--and the Republican party itself will dwindle down to a super minority party, that is inclusive only of angry, ignorant, racist white voters.

Trumps-Hostage.jpg

Tea-Party-Anger-Fear.gif

The republicans should have listened to their constituents. After all the Constitution makes it very clear that it's the voice of the people that's in charge of their respective government, the establishment doesn't assert their authority over the people. If the Republicans don't like their party's presidential nominee, they should have voted. Obviously we have a lot of angry republicans that either had chosen to stay home, or are simply upset their preferred choice didn't make it. The primary election from among the states is over, the republican votes HAVE selected their nominee. Whether the party has learned to listen to those votes and begin to accept the will of the people we will soon see.
Oh, bull shit. The founders and leaders in the new state governments were scared shitless of the people. The voice of the people was window dressing. They excluded most people from voting, blacks, women, non-property owners, those under 21, and often those that were not church members of the predominate church in the community. They wouldn't even allow the people a direct vote for their president.

The primaries of both parties today are rigged. The Democrats have their super delegates to guarantee control of the party by the elite. Republicans accomplish the same thing by allowing each state party to write distinct delegate allocation rules plus an intricate and complex set of convention rules.

Never read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence, have you? Nothing I posted stands in contrast to what the Founders believed for their nation. The people are in charge of their respective government, the government establishment was not given the position nor power to assert their will over the will of the people. This is why the people have been given the authority by the Founders to abolish and establish a new form of government should it become detrimental to those rights of the people. It is the government that need to listen to their respective constituents, not the other way around. If the people chose a candidate that is not part of the establishment, it's the people's constitutional right and the government was never given the authority to subvert their preferred will over the voice of the people. If you feel this view of the role of government is bullshit, I'd suggest you take the time to actually read what the Founder's wrote and how much power was really given to the role of government with respect to the people.

Cleveland (CNN)Former President George W. Bush fretted to a group of former aides and advisers in April that he was worried he could be the "last Republican president."

The 43rd president's remark, at a gathering in Dallas of his administration's staffers, reflected a dim view of the party's prospects at a time when the primary contest was realistically down to Donald Trump and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

"I'm worried that I will be the last Republican president," Bush told a clutch of former aides and advisers.

Bush -- as well as his father, former President George H.W. Bush, and his brother, 2016 presidential candidate Jeb Bush -- are skipping this year's Republican National Convention in Cleveland. So are the party's last two presidential nominees, 2012's Mitt Romney and 2008's Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bob Dole, the 1996 GOP nominee and the only living Republican presidential choice who is attending the convention, has criticized Republicans who are skipping it.
George W. Bush: 'I'm worried that I will be the last Republican president' - CNNPolitics.com

Bush is the single biggest reason the conservative and Republican brands are in tatters. Bush is the single biggest reason the impostor Trump was able to take the nomination.

He's a fucking retard asshole who fucked up in every way possible.

And by the way: Bush skipped the 2012 convention, too.

No actually it's the republicans in congress who usually caved in to spend on any program Obama wanted that caused this. If it was President Bush the liberals would be correct in saying the republicans aren't capable of a comeback, and the democrats wouldn't have lost both the house and senate.
Republicans didn't cave

They got into a power struggle with President Obama and lost

That's what happens when you overplay a weak hand

In other words ... they caved into what Obama wanted. To say otherwise would mean the republicans effectively stopped all that Obama set out to accomplish under his administration

Bush is the single biggest reason the conservative and Republican brands are in tatters. Bush is the single biggest reason the impostor Trump was able to take the nomination.

No actually it's the republicans in congress who usually caved in to spend on any program Obama wanted that caused this. If it was President Bush the liberals would be correct in saying the republicans aren't capable of a comeback, and the democrats wouldn't have lost both the house and senate.
Republicans didn't cave

In other words ... they caved into what Obama wanted. To say otherwise would mean the republicans effectively stopped all that Obama set out to accomplish under his administration

This eight years has made W. Bush look like a beginner:

jobs_110615_chart1.png

Republicans didn't cave

They didn't cave...they got their asses handed to them by Obama

Republicans said they could stop Obama in his tracks and repeal Obamacare....they lied

Republicans have not elected a President without a Bush or Nxon on the ticket since 1928

They are doomed

I like how Hillary has consistently stated she will run a campaign on issues and all the ads are bashing Trump...the lies just keep rolling along...

One of Clinton's adds asks: What is Trumps plan to help middle class families?

Trump can't answer, maybe you can.

Bush is the single biggest reason the conservative and Republican brands are in tatters.

Even so, Jeb would still make a better POTUS than either Hillary OR The Donald.
Jeb Bush is the single biggest reason Trump got into the race to begin with.

So Trump told you that,or can you between gulps of piss, produce video of him saying that?
Trump announced his candidacy just days after Bush announced his. Trump called out Bush three times in his announcement.

It was obvious Trump entered the race to keep Bush from getting the nomination. Trump has been bashing the Bush family for eight years. He became a Democrat when George became President. He called for Bush's impeachment.

He has a thing for the Bushes.

Palin, 'what's his name,' and Trump are/were to insure that a Republican doesn't get the White House.

Since the Reich wing of the party has taken over, Bush may have a good point.

It looks like Republicans are headed back into the 40's & 50's where Democrats own everything. Republicans will be voting for blue dog Democrats--and the Republican party itself will dwindle down to a super minority party, that is inclusive only of angry, ignorant, racist white voters.

Trumps-Hostage.jpg

Tea-Party-Anger-Fear.gif

The republicans should have listened to their constituents. After all the Constitution makes it very clear that it's the voice of the people that's in charge of their respective government, the establishment doesn't assert their authority over the people. If the Republicans don't like their party's presidential nominee, they should have voted. Obviously we have a lot of angry republicans that either had chosen to stay home, or are simply upset their preferred choice didn't make it. The primary election from among the states is over, the republican votes HAVE selected their nominee. Whether the party has learned to listen to those votes and begin to accept the will of the people we will soon see.
Oh, bull shit. The founders and leaders in the new state governments were scared shitless of the people. The voice of the people was window dressing. They excluded most people from voting, blacks, women, non-property owners, those under 21, and often those that were not church members of the predominate church in the community. They wouldn't even allow the people a direct vote for their president.

The primaries of both parties today are rigged. The Democrats have their super delegates to guarantee control of the party by the elite. Republicans accomplish the same thing by allowing each state party to write distinct delegate allocation rules plus an intricate and complex set of convention rules.

Never read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence, have you? Nothing I posted stands in contrast to what the Founders believed for their nation. The people are in charge of their respective government, the government establishment was not given the position nor power to assert their will over the will of the people. This is why the people have been given the authority by the Founders to abolish and establish a new form of government should it become detrimental to those rights of the people. It is the government that need to listen to their respective constituents, not the other way around. If the people chose a candidate that is not part of the establishment, it's the people's constitutional right and the government was never given the authority to subvert their preferred will over the voice of the people. If you feel this view of the role of government is bullshit, I'd suggest you take the time to actually read what the Founder's wrote and how much power was really given to the role of government with respect to the people.
I'm not particularly interested in what the founders believed or what their intent was, rather I'm interested in the results. Today, the people have very little actual voice in what goes on in government except in their local communities. The large corporations and special interest groups have such a loud voice, the voice of the people rarely get's through. If it does, it's been shaped by the opinion makers.

Whelp --- this time he may actually be right.

Well, you think he was wrong to take out Saddarm? Democrat leaders did not. They gave him authorization to do so since they spent years advocating his removal. The Democrats' mission was accomplished.

Well, you think he was wrong to take out Saddarm? Democrat leaders did not. They gave him authorization to do so since they spent years advocating his removal. The Democrats' mission was accomplished.

uhhhhhhhhhh...... yeah OK don't know what that's got to do with the price of coffee in Antarctica, or my post, but whatever.

Republicans didn't cave

This eight years has made W. Bush look like a beginner:

jobs_110615_chart1.png

If you want to talk about actual details of the economy that includes 2016 under Obama, here you go.

Nearly half of U.S. workers consider themselves underemployed, report says
Three-quarters of those who label themselves as such say they're not working in a job that uses their education and training. One quarter say they are working part time but want full-time work.
Nearly half of U.S. workers consider themselves underemployed, report says

• The unemployment rate for new college grads is 5.6 percent, compared with 5.5 percent in 2007.
  • Young high school grads have an unemployment rate of 17.9 percent, compared with 15.9 percent in 2007.
for recent high-school graduates, about one-third are currently underemployed, compared with roughly 27 percent in 2007

Young college grads are suffering from an underemployment rate of 12.6 percent, compared with 9.6 percent in 2007

At the same time, many are entering the workforce with higher levels of debt, thanks to tuition fees that have increased far faster than median family income.

• Recent grads who are "idled" -- neither enrolled in school nor employed -- is still higher than before the recession. For college grads, the rate is now almost 10 percent, compared with 8.4 percent in 2007. About 15.5 percent of young high-school grads are now idled, compared with 13.7 percent in 2007.
  • People of color are especially hard-hit. Young black college grads have an unemployment rate of 9.4 percent, compared with 8.9 percent in April 2007.
Job quality has eroded. In 2001, almost 42 percent of new college grads found jobs with pensions. That declined to just over 29 percent in 2015
Welcome to the job market, class of 2016: It still stinks

Obama's hope and change doesn't look so rosy when you actually break down all the figures, now does it?

I like how Hillary has consistently stated she will run a campaign on issues and all the ads are bashing Trump...the lies just keep rolling along...

Since when did the democrats actually state a plan to bring jobs back into this country? Seeing that encouraging small business growth makes up a big part of our economy, and not spending our way through a lack of stimulus, I'd say the left better go back to the drawing board.

Since when did the democrats actually state a plan to bring jobs back into this country? Seeing that encouraging small business growth makes up a big part of our economy, and not spending our way through a lack of stimulus, I'd say the left better go back to the drawing board.

The Left likes to point fingers on bringing jobs back yet they have no clue nor intention of doing so. The Unions, Blacks, Gays, and Enviros are the "blocks" the Democrats have in place. Their next frontier are the Latinos which I don't think they will ever get to the extent they got from the groups listed above. Latinos are too entrepreneurial as are the Asians and Indians.......entrepreneurs don't like to have their bottom line fucked with by high taxes and regulations.

This is all hindsight but many tens of thousands of ordinary Iraqis would still be alive, as would thousands of troops from the coalition countries. The terrorists born from the resulting anger and grief would not be about their deadly work. Indeed, without the oxygen of Iraq feeding their bitter fires and with the US and more western allies having focused on Afghanistan and the border regions with Pakistan, al-Qaida may be clinging to diminishing relevance in those barren hills. Muslims worldwide would not have been provoked to take a stand against all things western. America would not have sacrificed its principles relating to torture and the Geneva convention, and may not have lost its diplomatic credibility.

And for Saddam? He would be fighting terrorism in the region instead of west.

There are of course other scenarios but I haven't seen one yet where the US would be better off today.

This is all hindsight but many tens of thousands of ordinary Iraqis would still be alive, as would thousands of troops from the coalition countries. The terrorists born from the resulting anger and grief would not be about their deadly work. Indeed, without the oxygen of Iraq feeding their bitter fires and with the US and more western allies having focused on Afghanistan and the border regions with Pakistan, al-Qaida may be clinging to diminishing relevance in those barren hills. Muslims worldwide would not have been provoked to take a stand against all things western. America would not have sacrificed its principles relating to torture and the Geneva convention, and may not have lost its diplomatic credibility.

And for Saddam? He would be fighting terrorism in the region instead of west.

There are of course other scenarios but I haven't seen one yet where the US would be better off today.

Saddam was still in power when the trade towers were first hit in 1994, the attack on the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia 1996, the U.S. Embassy bombings of Kenya and Tanzania of 1998, and the USS Cole Bombing in Yemen in 2000 which all led to the attack of 9-11. Muslim terrorists have been against the west as far back as Israel becoming a nation. Their ideology is one of religious domination, a cleansing against all those infidels that don't conform to their particular version of the Koran. Whether we even chose to build a coalition to defeat Saddam against the invasion of Kuwait or not, they would still be engaging terrorist acts. However if the Denocrats weren't so quick to pull troops from Iraq and then Afghanistan, terrorist groups wouldn't have it so easy reclaiming territory for themselves from a place where they can plot against us.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back