The Unintended Consequences of 'Ban the Box'

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
What else is new liberals "Trying to do something" and fuck it up even worse...

Life in prison is meant to be difficult. But it doesn't always get better once you're out. Re-entering offenders often have a tough time finding employment, even when they are motivated and able to work. But "ban the box" - a popular policy aimed at helping ex-offenders find jobs - doesn't help many ex-offenders, and actually decreases employment for black and Hispanic men who don't have criminal records. This is a classic case of unintended consequences. We should repeal "ban the box" and focus on better alternatives.

What effects has "ban the box" had so far? Two new working papers suggest that, as economic theory predicts, "ban the box" policies increase racial disparities in employment outcomes.

Amanda Agan and Sonja Starr submitted thousands of fictitious job applications before and after "ban the box" went into effect in New Jersey and New York City, randomly assigning race and criminal history to each "applicant." They then tracked the number of callbacks received. When employers asked about criminal records on the job application, they called white applicants slightly more often than identical black applicants - but that small gap became more than four times larger, and statistically significant, after "ban the box" went into effect. (White applicants with criminal records benefited the most from the policy change - they're the ones who got a chance to prove themselves in an interview, though it's unclear if they would have gotten a job offer. Employers are still allowed to check criminal records before making a final offer, so applicants could be turned away at that point.) Because of the randomization, they can attribute this effect to the removal of criminal history information from job applications.

In a separate paper, Benjamin Hansen and I exploit the variation in adoption and timing of "ban the box" policies across the country to measure the policy's net effects on the employment outcomes of young, low-skilled men. We find that black and Hispanic men without college degrees are significantly less likely to be employed after "ban the box" than before. This result is not explained by pre-existing trends in employment, and persists for several years.

Overall, the unintended consequences of "ban the box" are large, and run counter to one of its goals: reducing racial disparities in employment.

But "ban the box" - a popular policy aimed at helping ex-offenders find jobs - doesn't help many ex-offenders, and actually decreases employment for black and Hispanic men who don't have criminal records.
Now explain why you think that is.

But "ban the box" - a popular policy aimed at helping ex-offenders find jobs - doesn't help many ex-offenders, and actually decreases employment for black and Hispanic men who don't have criminal records.

No shit Sherlock...

Again why didn't libs take that into consideration?

Instead of just weeding out felons they are just now eliminating all minorities..

So you admit there's racism in the hiring process .

Of course there is. What sane employer would hire a Black person who would most probably steal him blind, sluff off on the job, keep in in court defending himself against racial discrimination lawsuits, and might even end up murdering him?

Always was always will be but now your fellow libs made it harder to get called on an interview...

If your name is

Bob
Bill
Timothy
Mathew
Mark and Luke you are fine...

But if your name is

Muhammad
Kadema
Kamau
Karam
Karlus
Kasen
Kaven
Kaynard
Keandre
Keenan
Keifer
Kenard
Kendell
Kendrick
Kenton
Kenyata
Keon
Keyair
Keyon
Kimbel
Kojo...you are screwed

Ok, so when we talk about affirmative action I don't want to hear this bullshit about "employers are hiring the best candidate " when you just admitted there's a racist bias .

It is sad that society will not let felons redeem themselves...All because of legislation intended to make sure they are just a recycle in the prison system that operates for profit with slave wage prisoners..

Ok, so when we talk about affirmative action I don't want to hear this bullshit about "employers are hiring the best candidate " when you just admitted there's a racist bias .

When did I ever say their was not a good ol' boy network?

I never had a problem with affirmative action , I never personally seen any one get ahead in the 30 or so years in my line of work because of race or gender or age..it was just because how good they were.

Oh wait I know a bunch of college kids sucking dick to become managers and we're worthless , useless and couldn't carry my tool belt but karma always fucked them up. :)

Always was always will be but now your fellow libs made it harder to get called on an interview...

If your name is

Bob
Bill
Timothy
Mathew
Mark and Luke you are fine...

But if your name is

Muhammad
Kadema
Kamau
Karam
Karlus
Kasen
Kaven
Kaynard
Keandre
Keenan
Keifer
Kenard
Kendell
Kendrick
Kenton
Kenyata
Keon
Keyair
Keyon
Kimbel
Kojo...you are screwed
Not really, there are labor jobs available if the individual is wiling..

It is sad that society will not let felons redeem themselves...All because of legislation intended to make sure they are just a recycle in the prison system that operates for profit with slave wage prisoners..

Agree the good one's that have skill and balls of steel normally go to construction jobs, they Will hire anybody with a skill ...but you still have to have a network.

When did I ever say their was not a good ol' boy network?

I never had a problem with affirmative action , I never personally seen any one get ahead in the 30 or so years in my line of work because of race or gender or age..it was just because how good they were.

Oh wait I know a bunch of college kids sucking dick to become managers and we're worthless , useless and couldn't carry my tool belt but karma always fucked them up. :)
Do you have the dick sucker's phone number, I have a position for a female...

Agree the good one's that have skill and balls of steel normally go to construction jobs, they Will hire anybody with a skill ...but you still have to have a network.
Network for what?

No shit Sherlock...

Because it is obviously an unintended and unforeseen consequence.

Remember when Pelosi said, "We have to pass the law to see what's in it?" This is exactly what she was talking about. You don't really know what effect a law will have until it is actually enacted.

Then you fix the bugs.

No shit Sherlock...

Remember when Pelosi said, "We have to pass the law to see what's in it?" This is exactly what she was talking about. You don't really know what effect a law will have until it is actually enacted.

Then you fix the bugs.

Ok, how do you fix this bug?

All obama did to fix obama care is throw the can down the line..

With this bug it makes it real harder for minorities to get a call back for an interview..so let's say my boss or me gets to meet them face to face.

The H.R. at the companies I worked for in the past 30 years or so screens people..

When I am thrown into the fray I can read them real fast not by the color of their skin, or gender or age.

But by their deamenor , what they know, how eager they are....but if we find out they are a felon not much I can do

No shit Sherlock...

Then you fix the bugs.

Ok, how do you fix this bug?
This is a very good question. What do you suggest?

Forum List

Back