Both sides of the coin

I've been mulling over why some people give themselves permission to be complete asphedoras online, and further why it is expected that we should just tolerate it.

Or why we should have to read every post that flies, or else we "don't want to hear opposing opinions."

[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] - I just found this.

Personally, I think the ignore function is a very good option for avoiding the trolls, white supremacists, and others who just generally live her to wreak havoc. But as stated in the first sentence, I am curious as to why any adult would use this place as where they go to take a verbal dump whenever they are in the mood.

Obviously, this isn't just happening here. It's a worldwide phenomenon of "Nobody knows who I am, so here's my ass." But shouldn't there be some button in their brain that says "Mentally healthy people don't act like this?" And that question would go double to anybody who claims to be a follower of any given spiritual belief system.

I guess the bottom line I would like to ask any trolls who are willing to be honest - what do you tell yourself that makes such antisocial behavior acceptable, in your mind.

Any educated guesses, links and/or articles from non-trolls are welcome as well.

[MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]

You meanie. You made me look up "asphedoras". I dropped into Google and Google sent me right back here. And to several other threads on other boards.

Next question: if you're asking trolls who are willing to be honest..... why was I invited? As a judge I presume...?

I suspect it's simply people getting carried away with emotions. That's like a drug that clouds everything else. You can't have a rational thought when you're drowning in anger.

Having said that I'd like to find a way to use asphedoras in a sentence...

"Harry Truman is a haberdasher. He asphedoras."

:dunno:

No. I just sent a PM to a few people who I would like to hear from. :) That's how you got invited.

Honestly ... No Offense Gracie ... You have a good heart, as well as Boop 85% of the time and almost always Cabbie.
It is just that somehow people think sugar-coating the ill things they say and feel towards others somehow makes it different than what they mean ... It doesn't.

If someone wants to be ugly ... It doesn't matter what their intentions are or how they say it ... They are still being ugly.
The only thing that is really different is that they are being ugly and self-righteous at the same time.

If you want to start a fight ... Expect to get hit ... And don't cry when you do.

Except real debate is not supposed to be about starting a fight, and it is not supposed to be about demonizing a person, it's supposed to be about vigorously defending your ideas/ideals by applying logic and at the same time, deconstructing the ideas/ ideals of your opponent by using logic as well.

Two great debators should be able to shake hands before and after a really rough and rugged debate and not think ill of each other.

An opponent is not an enemy.

Making someone else the "demon" just because he does not share your ideology or culture is the cheap way out, imo. It requires the least energy of all. So, essentially, trolls are lazy asses.

For instance, Tank wrote this:

You have reality on ignore

Instead of attacking the idea, he attacked the person. That is the cheap way out. And notice the Nazi who thanked him for his input. That speaks volumes.

Hey, [MENTION=18975]Tank[/MENTION], instead of attacking a person, why not bring some information to the table?

To HELL with Political Correctness.............When Ideals are so opposite, there is WAR........And in a War of words there will be mean things said and mud slinging. It's the nature of the beast..............

There is a divide in this country...........A line in the sand of opposing positions....Both sides dedicated to their core principles............In the fight, feelings will get hurt and words will be said...............

Tank's comments aren't wrong..........He believes that the Liberal mindset escapes REALITY...........and I agree....................

Should PC demand that he shouldn't say that.........It is his opinion, and I agree.........I post based on beliefs, REALITY, logic, and Reason..............NOT EMOTION...........and thus the divide............

No, and again NO.

Or rather, go ahead. And a person who thinks and acts like that is exactly who I have on ignore.

I have at least two groups of people on ignore.

1) Those who have absolutely no substance to their posts except to flame, bait, and troll. Everybody knows who I'm talking about. And if you feel the need to defend yourself on that basis, then maybe you should re-examine what you bring to the board.

2) Those who post nothing but echo chamber drivel. I won't name names (rhymes with 'posh'). Yes. I have an actual aversion to people who refuse to think. People who have somehow decided they don't need to think, they can just react, react, react - and keep on regurgitating that party line.

3) A combination thereof, and those are the worst. It's like getting double-whammied in a single post. Combining erroneous 'facts' and 'knowledge' with hate is like asking me to drink poison, and it won't be happening.

Tank, since you did post here, and attack me rather than explain you; tell me why I should read your posts? We've agreed on a few things, had a polite conversation or two. But you are a troll. You know how people feel about your need to share how poorly you think of apparently blacks specifically, and yet you keep on posting. And that's fine. Freedom of speech and all that. Just explain what you bring to the table that I should waste my time reading the verbal equivalent of anal seepage.

You meanie. You made me look up "asphedoras". I dropped into Google and Google sent me right back here. And to several other threads on other boards.

Next question: if you're asking trolls who are willing to be honest..... why was I invited? As a judge I presume...?

I suspect it's simply people getting carried away with emotions. That's like a drug that clouds everything else. You can't have a rational thought when you're drowning in anger.

Having said that I'd like to find a way to use asphedoras in a sentence...

"Harry Truman is a haberdasher. He asphedoras."

:dunno:

Ahem.

An Asphedoras is a prehistoric creature, one of the ugliest that ever existed. It looked like an anatomical inversion, where it's ass what where it's face was supposed to be.

Word has it that Asphedorii stank so bad that even the biggest of Dinos gave them a wide berth.

thing.jpg

Some claim that a couple of Asphedorii survived, as Neo-Asphorites, but this is not yet confirmed. Some sightings have been claimed to be made:

fat-ugly-girl-non-nude-pictures.jpg

But as I said, this has not yet been confirmed.

Others claim that Asphedora is actually an herb that causes anal warts.

Take yer pick.

:D

HYPOCRITE...............................

Op is about PC, and turns to mud slinging with pics of big fat woman, and a monster...............

Weren't you supposed to ignore and move on...............

:lol:

Thank you, I had the same reaction.

I've only used the Ignore function on the most obnxious posters.

for instance, I put a certain poster on ignore because he'd fill a page with his hostage note posts that used all 64 crayons in the box and were a distraction to read, even if I might have even agreed with him on some point. (I won't mention him by name because I think he's been banned.)

I also put people on ignore when they send me PM's I didn't ask for.

Other than that, I find scrolling really quickly past idiots works just as well as putting them on ignore.

for instance, I put a certain poster on ignore because he'd fill a page with his hostage note posts that used all 64 crayons in the box and were a distraction to read, even if I might have even agreed with him on some point. (I won't mention him by name because I think he's been banned.)

Other than that, I find scrolling really quickly past idiots works just as well as putting them on ignore.

He's not banned. He disappeared back in May. I'm a bit worried, but it is after all a message board, and since he didn't bother to connect with people, there is no way to find (and check on) him.

Except real debate is not supposed to be about starting a fight, and it is not supposed to be about demonizing a person, it's supposed to be about vigorously defending your ideas/ideals by applying logic and at the same time, deconstructing the ideas/ ideals of your opponent by using logic as well.

Two great debators should be able to shake hands before and after a really rough and rugged debate and not think ill of each other.

Making someone else the "demon" just because he does not share your ideology or culture is the cheap way out, imo. It requires the least energy of all. So, essentially, trolls are lazy asses.

There is a certain divide some people have in the way they interpret what they are saying versus the response they get.
People generally think they are right ... And as mentioned before ... They generally think that how they say something means they are more correct and justified.

A crash course in intent and civility ...

"Would you please step aside so I can pass" ... And ... "Get the fuck out of my way" ... Mean the same thing, and expect the same results.
One is certainly more pleasant and civil than the other ... But it doesn't change who has the right to ask the other person to move ... Or who is more correct in asking.

Because a person may want to debate an idea ... And doesn't get the response they want ... Doesn't make the respondent wrong.
If it is simply a matter of civility ... And posters don't want to face the harsh realities of what they would like to suggest ... Then there is a Clean Debate Zone here.
The only real difference is the way some people think that when they are more civil and don't cut to the bone of an issue ... That the way they say something determines how correct their ideas are.
Those people just lack the understanding necessary to see that they are not debating anything ... When they are just sitting around fussing and acting like they are smart and being self righteous in the process.

"I don't think you are adding anything positive to the conversation and we don't need your input" ... And ... "Shut the hell up, and sit the fuck down" ... Mean the same thing.

Note ...
You cannot hide what you think from someone who knows what to look for ... And in written text, you have no control over how what you write is interpreted by the person that reads it once posted.
There is no difference in you calling people lazy asses, Nazi's and trolls than them telling you to take a long walk on a short pier.

You and I could shake hands at any point and time ... Share a few cold ones ... Talk about something we were closer to in ideology.
But if you cannot respect someone who doesn't think you are any smarter or more correct because you said "Please" ... Then you can go fuck yourself for all I care.

Are you beginning to see how this works?

Last edited:
I've been mulling over why some people give themselves permission to be complete asphedoras online, and further why it is expected that we should just tolerate it.

Or why we should have to read every post that flies, or else we "don't want to hear opposing opinions."

[MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] - I just found this.

Personally, I think the ignore function is a very good option for avoiding the trolls, white supremacists, and others who just generally live her to wreak havoc. But as stated in the first sentence, I am curious as to why any adult would use this place as where they go to take a verbal dump whenever they are in the mood.

Obviously, this isn't just happening here. It's a worldwide phenomenon of "Nobody knows who I am, so here's my ass." But shouldn't there be some button in their brain that says "Mentally healthy people don't act like this?" And that question would go double to anybody who claims to be a follower of any given spiritual belief system.

I guess the bottom line I would like to ask any trolls who are willing to be honest - what do you tell yourself that makes such antisocial behavior acceptable, in your mind.

Any educated guesses, links and/or articles from non-trolls are welcome as well.

[MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION]
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]

Tissue?

He's not banned. He disappeared back in May. I'm a bit worried, but it is after all a message board, and since he didn't bother to connect with people, there is no way to find (and check on) him.

You are correct, he is still a member.

Just hasn't posted since May 8th.

Seriously though, what us the point of playing nice? Do you actually think you can change the minds of anyone here? I came from a over-regulated site (so did you boop), where abusing others and name-calling was not allowed. Nothing gets accomplished there either. Most people know that I don't shy away from calling people names and generally being obnoxious, but I'm not that way in real life so I don't worry about it. Call an asfedora an asfedora or worse. It really makes no difference and if someone takes things said on an internet message board seriously well, that's their problem isn't it?

As far as the ignore button well, that works if you only care for those discussions in which people either agree with you or won't offend your delegate sensibilities. I only have one person on ignore and that is because his complete inability to post anything in the least interesting can't make up for his obnoxious overuse of smilies.

Just my opinion.

Yes. I see why I have you on ignore, BS. Most specifically the last sentence, where you assume that you imparted some wisdom in your post. :thup:

Thank God you have me on Ignore ...
Keep me there and quit answering my posts if you want to stick your head in the Sand ... I never guessed you had the guts to take a real look at yourself in the first place.

There is a certain divide some people have in the way they interpret what they are saying versus the response they get.
People generally think they are right ... And as mentioned before ... They generally think that how they say something means they are more correct and justified.

A crash course in intent and civility ...

"Would you please step aside so I can pass" ... And ... "Get the fuck out of my way" ... Mean the same thing, and expect the same results.
One is certainly more pleasant and civil than the other ... But it doesn't change who has the right to ask the other person to move ... Or who is more correct in asking.

Because a person may want to debate an idea ... And doesn't get the response they want ... Doesn't make the respondent wrong.
If it is simply a matter of civility ... And posters don't want to face the harsh realities of what they would like to suggest ... Then there is a Clean Debate Zone here.
The only real difference is the way some people think that when they are more civil and don't cut to the bone of an issue ... That the way they say something determines how correct their ideas are.
Those people just lack the understanding necessary to see that they are not debating anything ... When they are just sitting around fussing and acting like they are smart and being self righteous in the process.

"I don't think you are adding anything positive to the conversation and we don't need your input" ... And ... "Shut the hell up, and sit the fuck down" ... Mean the same thing.

Note ...
You cannot hide what you think from someone who knows what to look for ... And in written text, you have no control over how what you write is interpreted by the person that reads it once posted.
There is no difference in you calling people lazy asses, Nazi's and trolls than them telling you to take a long walk on a short pier.

You and I could shake hands at any point and time ... Share a few cold ones ... Talk about something we were closer to in ideology.
But if you cannot respect someone who doesn't think you are any smarter or more correct because you said "Please" ... Then you can go fuck yourself for all I care.

Are you beginning to see how this works?

So let me repeat what I just heard from you.

There is no difference whatsoever between being a crude and boorish versus civil and polite.

Is that your point in a nutshell?

Because if that is your point then society is about to deteriorate into anarchy. Our ability to communicate thoughts and ideas depends upon co-operation and yes, civility. Imagine if the theory of gravity was expressed as "things fall down, fucktards". Or religion as "get on your knees and pray or I will beat the crap out of you". Because according to what you just posted they "Mean the same thing".

So if we need a civilized tone to express concepts like religion and science why is politics any different?

Now I could leave this right here but I am going to take it a step further because this goes to the motivation of those using vulgarities.

Pointing out politely that someone has failed to make their argument versus telling them where to shove it is the difference between being an adult and a child. Yes, there is a puerile reward to being rude to someone. An adult has learned to restrain themselves and knows how to behave themselves.

So yes, I most definitely do "see how this works"!

Seriously though, what us the point of playing nice? Do you actually think you can change the minds of anyone here? I came from a over-regulated site (so did you boop), where abusing others and name-calling was not allowed. Nothing gets accomplished there either. Most people know that I don't shy away from calling people names and generally being obnoxious, but I'm not that way in real life so I don't worry about it. Call an asfedora an asfedora or worse. It really makes no difference and if someone takes things said on an internet message board seriously well, that's their problem isn't it?

As far as the ignore button well, that works if you only care for those discussions in which people either agree with you or won't offend your delegate sensibilities. I only have one person on ignore and that is because his complete inability to post anything in the least interesting can't make up for his obnoxious overuse of smilies.

Just my opinion.

I would rather "play nice" and enjoy a conversation with someone and maybe learn something EGADS!! than be trying to outwit them in a name-calling spree. Probably, because I suck at name-calling, but I rather enjoy learning something new.

Immie

I live to take on the the nut jobs - it gives my life meaning. I would take it in pill form if I could.

One 'takes on' people by persuasive argument, not by foul abuse - or by assuming that everyone holding a different opinon is a 'nut job'.

I remain surprised that those bandying around words like 'idiot' and 'moron' do not realise that they lower themselves by so doing.

Just my opinion.

I would rather "play nice" and enjoy a conversation with someone and maybe learn something EGADS!! than be trying to outwit them in a name-calling spree. Probably, because I suck at name-calling, but I rather enjoy learning something new.

Immie

I would agree with you if I were to learn something. I know better than to get my knowledge from an Internet message board.

That said I DO learn about the positions held by the left on any given subject, but I can get that information AND point out the idiots along the way. It's a win-win situation.

So let me repeat what I just heard from you.

There is no difference whatsoever between being a crude and boorish versus civil and polite.

Is that your point in a nutshell?

Because if that is your point then society is about to deteriorate into anarchy. Our ability to communicate thoughts and ideas depends upon co-operation and yes, civility. Imagine if the theory of gravity was expressed as "things fall down, fucktards". Or religion as "get on your knees and pray or I will beat the crap out of you". Because according to what you just posted they "Mean the same thing".

So if we need a civilized tone to express concepts like religion and science why is politics any different?

Now I could leave this right here but I am going to take it a step further because this goes to the motivation of those using vulgarities.

Pointing out politely that someone has failed to make their argument versus telling them where to shove it is the difference between being an adult and a child. Yes, there is a puerile reward to being rude to someone. An adult has learned to restrain themselves and knows how to behave themselves.

So yes, I most definitely do "see how this works"!

See that is what I meant about the fact that you cannot control interpretation of the reader regarding posts.
What I referred to and gave many examples of was ... Whether or not you are boorish, civil or polite ... Makes no difference to the context or validity of what you say.

It makes a difference to how people will think about what you say ... And greatly influences how wrong they will be at interpreting what it is that you have said.

Last edited:
I live to take on the the nut jobs - it gives my life meaning. I would take it in pill form if I could.

One 'takes on' people by persuasive argument, not by foul abuse - or by assuming that everyone holding a different opinon is a 'nut job'.

I remain surprised that those bandying around words like 'idiot' and 'moron' do not realise that they lower themselves by so doing.

That's a useful thing to tell yourself, but the reality is often different. For instance, I'll bet Boop here has a pretty low opinion if me since I have verbally assaulted her numerous times. That said there are a whole lot more people who value what I say and since Boop is a lefty, I don't place a lot if value on her opinions, especially about me. Again, what I do here has absolutly no reflection on real life. I use Facebook to spread the gospel of conservatism and many people have told me that they pay close attention to my posts, and that they have little time or tolerance for national news that they are only exposed to any of it through me. The opinions if left wingers here cannot compete with any of that.

I'm not saying that you or anyone else here should start verbally assaulting people, do what you like, I choose otherwise.

Honestly ... No Offense Gracie ... You have a good heart, as well as Boop 85% of the time and almost always Cabbie.
It is just that somehow people think sugar-coating the ill things they say and feel towards others somehow makes it different than what they mean ... It doesn't.

If someone wants to be ugly ... It doesn't matter what their intentions are or how they say it ... They are still being ugly.
The only thing that is really different is that they are being ugly and self-righteous at the same time.

If you want to start a fight ... Expect to get hit ... And don't cry when you do.

Instead of attacking the idea, he attacked the person. That is the cheap way out. And notice the Nazi who thanked him for his input. That speaks volumes.

Hey, [MENTION=18975]Tank[/MENTION], instead of attacking a person, why not bring some information to the table?

To HELL with Political Correctness.............When Ideals are so opposite, there is WAR........And in a War of words there will be mean things said and mud slinging. It's the nature of the beast..............

There is a divide in this country...........A line in the sand of opposing positions....Both sides dedicated to their core principles............In the fight, feelings will get hurt and words will be said...............

Tank's comments aren't wrong..........He believes that the Liberal mindset escapes REALITY...........and I agree....................

Should PC demand that he shouldn't say that.........It is his opinion, and I agree.........I post based on beliefs, REALITY, logic, and Reason..............NOT EMOTION...........and thus the divide............

Politeness is not Political Correctness. Understand this and your posts will be worth reading. You appear to value reason over emotion. Good! Abuse is occasioned by emotion and will not be resorted to by the reasonable.

Just my opinion.

Immie

I would agree with you if I were to learn something. I know better than to get my knowledge from an Internet message board.

That said I DO learn about the positions held by the left on any given subject, but I can get that information AND point out the idiots along the way. It's a win-win situation.

Basically, what I feel I have learned on these sites is a lot about the positions of my opponents. For instance, I am pro-life. I used to believe that everyone who is pro-choice was truly pro-abortion. But then conversing with them (something barely allowed on this site anymore) I found that most of them were as opposed to abortion as I was but were much more opposed to the idea of government interference, which is a position I completely agree with.

We do not have to treat an opponent with contempt. If we just give them a chance, we might find that they are not the monsters we once thought they were.

Immie

You who, blacksand?

Personally, I think the ignore function is a very good option

That would depend on what is meant by ‘information.’

For most on the right ‘information’ is nothing more than partisan dogma, devoid of facts or evidence.

And for most conservatives when confronted with the facts that demonstrate their dogma to be false, they respond with personal attacks, as they have nothing else.

Forum List

Back