Baseball is dying

Stros got STL super-exec Jeff Lunhow sp? Who can find talent. Good manager too. But almost blew it to LA last year........sticking w/slumping reddick.

STL went down crapper with Matheney-Mozilak. This has allowed the Cubs to rise up and finally win one.

Two hottest teams in baseball right now are in Ohio? CIN CLEVE getting hot.

I don't know if length of game is so bad? Maybe too little action? fix your jewlery and get in box and hit! What do I know? Some of my favorite games are 1-0 nail-biters small-ball.

MLB Attendance Drops to Lowest Average In 15 Years

Baseball has the lowest attendance in over 15 years.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.
Baseball no has been berry berry good to me.
Ah, Chico Escuela lives!

Many teams are following the Houston, KC, Miami model where you lose 100 games a year for 4-5 years. You dump all your high cost players and stock up on quality minor leaguers and first round draft choices

Yankees and Dodgers have not won in recent years
Crap teams in small markets have

Over the last 20 years, add up the small market teams and big market teams that have won a world series.

I dare ya!

Every time the Yankees don't make the playoffs, it is a big scandal.

I wonder why.

Conversely, if my Reds make the playoffs that become a big scandal.

I've been a huge Reds fan since I can even remember watching baseball, and the fact is, they may have a winning team every 5 years or so, and then it goes into rebuilding mode all over again. Even when they have their own homegrown talent, once they reach arbitration and free agency, the Reds can no longer afford to keep all the pieces together. They had to decide between Cueto or Homer, they couldn't keep both. They kept Homer and his health has killed them. Cozart finally put together a good bat with a good glove and he priced himself out of the city. The same things will happen with Winker in a few years, and with Scooter after this year.

When Castellini bought the Reds he said he would put more money into the team to make sure they would compete. He hasn't and they haven't had a winning season since 2013.

The Reds are partially to blame for their plight. They CHOSE to adopt a small market mentality even though they have 4 states to draw from, which are Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. The Big Red Machine produced a nation of Reds fans but they pissed it all down the drain and now no one cares. You can't even get the Reds on radio in many places in Ohio now.

That's odd since I'm in western NC and I literally can't watch an MLB-TV game if the Reds are involved because it considers this are in the Reds' "market".. Even though in order to get to Cincinnati to watch a game I'd have to drive out to Tennessee, across that, across Kentucky and west to Cincinnati. I'd basically have to leave the previous day.

That's quite a wide "market". And perhaps that term is the whole crux of the matter.

I have never seen such crap fielding
they can't throw to a base from the infield area---they throw WAY wide
running errors that 8th graders would never do
games tied or close and wild pitches/runs WALKED in
not much bunting--especially with a man on third less than 2 outs

my dad would listen/watch the games
but he always said it was a very boring sport
think about how much action there is per non-action
the pitcher walks around with the ball, looks for the sign, sometimes he steps off the rubber, looks for the sign, winds up and pitches
...over and over.....after a foul, he has to get a new ball, walks off the mound and rub the new ball....
....if a relief pitcher comes in, there's a lot of inaction there
...no action in between innings
..the batters move out of the box after every pitch/etc
etc

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

The Astros are doing fine with a small payroll compared to the Yankees.
I thought the last few years, the lower paid team did well??

As boring as baseball can be at times soccer is a million times worse.

The World Cup is unwatchable
A team goes up 1-0 and then just sits on the ball for 60 minutes

Reminds me of Basketball before they got a shot clock
the one World Cup game some years ago they played 90 minutes and no score
then a lot of the games go to penalty kicks!!! really stupid--they play for 120 minutes!!
TWO hours and no winner!!!

Why?

They did,and they're doing so again this year.
While the Stros are nowhere near the bottom they arent exactly top end when it comes to payroll.

Why?

While the Stros are nowhere near the bottom they arent exactly top end when it comes to payroll.
I thought STLCards never had a huge payroll but they have won many WSeries...? 2nd highest ...?

Many teams are following the Houston, KC, Miami model where you lose 100 games a year for 4-5 years. You dump all your high cost players and stock up on quality minor leaguers and first round draft choices

Yankees and Dodgers have not won in recent years
Crap teams in small markets have

Over the last 20 years, add up the small market teams and big market teams that have won a world series.

I dare ya!

Every time the Yankees don't make the playoffs, it is a big scandal.

I wonder why.

Conversely, if my Reds make the playoffs that become a big scandal.

I've been a huge Reds fan since I can even remember watching baseball, and the fact is, they may have a winning team every 5 years or so, and then it goes into rebuilding mode all over again. Even when they have their own homegrown talent, once they reach arbitration and free agency, the Reds can no longer afford to keep all the pieces together. They had to decide between Cueto or Homer, they couldn't keep both. They kept Homer and his health has killed them. Cozart finally put together a good bat with a good glove and he priced himself out of the city. The same things will happen with Winker in a few years, and with Scooter after this year.

When Castellini bought the Reds he said he would put more money into the team to make sure they would compete. He hasn't and they haven't had a winning season since 2013.

The Reds are partially to blame for their plight. They CHOSE to adopt a small market mentality even though they have 4 states to draw from, which are Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. The Big Red Machine produced a nation of Reds fans but they pissed it all down the drain and now no one cares. You can't even get the Reds on radio in many places in Ohio now.

That's odd since I'm in western NC and I literally can't watch an MLB-TV game if the Reds are involved because it considers this are in the Reds' "market".. Even though in order to get to Cincinnati to watch a game I'd have to drive out to Tennessee, across that, across Kentucky and west to Cincinnati. I'd basically have to leave the previous day.

That's quite a wide "market". And perhaps that term is the whole crux of the matter.

You just need to get Fox Sports Ohio. :)

Why?

I thought STLCards never had a huge payroll but they have won many WSeries...? 2nd highest ...?

What exactly are you trying to get at?

Why?

you don't need a big payroll to get to WS

Stros got STL super-exec Jeff Lunhow sp? Who can find talent. Good manager too. But almost blew it to LA last year........sticking w/slumping reddick.

STL went down crapper with Matheney-Mozilak. This has allowed the Cubs to rise up and finally win one.

Two hottest teams in baseball right now are in Ohio? CIN CLEVE getting hot.

I don't know if length of game is so bad? Maybe too little action? fix your jewlery and get in box and hit! What do I know? Some of my favorite games are 1-0 nail-biters small-ball.
I thought some teams in the 70's would play that way--get 1 or 2, then bring in the closer
bunt a run in here or there/etc

Which is what I was getting at.

Which is what I was getting at.
yes, I know--I was adding some evidence

Really, pastimes are a reflection of society's programming. lol.

Carlin did a great skit about football, for instance, versus baseball. The objectives of the two games are completely different. Turn on the television and it's nonstop war incorporated. There's no talk about going home. Know what I mean?

Here's what Carlin said about it. Ha.

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! But nobody ever talks about that. lol. So, you know, we indulge in that with which we can relate lol.

It is a shame... I love baseball, played it all my younger years, even two years in college.

It is a shame... I love baseball, played it all my younger years, even two years in college.

Agree. There's nothing more fulfilling than watching kids follow that dream. Lord knows I've thrown my fair share of buckets. And, yeah, like you said, playing in college. Even better to to see one of em make it to the show.

That's what it's about. Following that dream. Living the dream, I suppose is a better way to say it.

I'm sure someone has said it, but culture has changed....?
we used to play sports all the time in the street/watch TV/read books
we walked everywhere
.....we had no phones/cable tv/ipads/PCs/Netflix/etc and I was never bored--now my kids have all of this and say they are bored!!!! I tell them' 'go cut the lawn if you are bored''--I was never bored
...life was ''slower'' years ago ....people took the time to walk some where/read a book/sit outside to enjoy the day-evening/etc..
my dad would just walk---and walk--to keep in shape and for something to do
--so baseball can be ''boring'' to the youngsters
--I will say my oldest daughter loves the games though
...my youngest does not

....I can just sit somewhere to enjoy the day/etc for a long time....I don't think the younger people can...always on their phones
...last night the wife and I enjoyed watching our fire outside in the pit --very relaxing

Last edited:

Forum List

Back