World Cup is Russia’s new Potemkin village

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
image (2).jpg

Quite why westerners are perplexed by Putin’s popularity is itself perplexing

David McWilliams: "I am not saying Putin is an angel, but he stopped the mortification of Russia"

David McWilliams: World Cup is Russia’s new Potemkin village

Pres. Putin is a great leader and loves his country and people.

He has an 87% approval rate among the Russian citizens.

A popularity number that American politicians could only dream of ever achieving. ... :cool:

A popularity number that American politicians could only dream of ever achieving. ... :cool:

It's amazing what you can do when you control everything.

People will say they love you out of fear.

Yes, he improved things from the Yeltsin days, but that isn't saying much, is it?

Other Eastern Bloc countries have done better than Russia and they don't have the oil.

Surely their leaders love their country and the people far more, seeing as they don't assassinate those people, and they don't enrich themselves at the cost of their people.

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935
Estonia at $31,473
Czech Republic at $35,233

Leaders in countries who loved their countries enough to make the country stronger and better, rather than playing silly little games.

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935

The Baltic countries are sponsoring the European Union. And still they are rapidly dying out. By the way, these figures do not include prices. For example, if you focus on the Big Mac index, then for this money in Russia you can buy 12341 Big Macs, and in Lithuania - 9238 :)

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935

The Baltic countries are sponsoring the European Union. And still they are rapidly dying out. By the way, these figures do not include prices. For example, if you focus on the Big Mac index, then for this money in Russia you can buy 12341 Big Macs, and in Lithuania - 9238 :)

I know what those figures include.

They also don't show all the oil Russia produces, and is still below some other countries.

I wonder why.

Yes, he improved things from the Yeltsin days, but that isn't saying much, is it?

Other Eastern Bloc countries have done better than Russia and they don't have the oil.

Surely their leaders love their country and the people far more, seeing as they don't assassinate those people, and they don't enrich themselves at the cost of their people.

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935
Estonia at $31,473

Leaders in countries who loved their countries enough to make the country stronger and better, rather than playing silly little games.
3-Baltic states got highly developed industry and infrastructure built by the USSR.
They are actively sponsored by EU.
They are not free to choose their political vector as they must obey EU and USA. They are occupied in fact by NATO.

Oil...oh, yes it helps much to create new industry, to built infrastructure, to raise everything ruined by USA in 1990s. And to resist western aggression lasting from 1990s till today...military and economic. And all that while playing unfair American financial rules. Hope Bretton Wood system will be crushed soon.

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935
Estonia at $31,473

3-Baltic states got highly developed industry and infrastructure built by the USSR.
They are not free to choose their political vector as they must obey EU and USA. They are occupied in fact by NATO.

Oil...oh, yes it helps much to create new industry, to built infrastructure, to raise everything ruined by USA in 1990s. And to resist western aggression lasting from 1990s till today...military and economic. And all that while playing unfair American financial rules. Hope Bretton Wood system will be crushed soon.

Are you telling me that this highly developed industry and infrastructure continues through the turbulent times?

Much of the industry was pulled down because it damaged the environment and caused loads of problems.

Like other former Communist countries the transition from Communism to Capitalism was tough. Wages were low, productivity was low, but Lithuania has come out of it better off than Russia.

They must obey someone. They're too small to be able to make such decisions that large countries could make.

They've made the choice of going with the EU because the EU is going to be a lot better for them than Russia or the US.

NATO isn't a difficult choice, having a defensive pact with the EU and US against Russian aggression is essential. Just ask Georgia and the Ukraine.

The US ruined everything in the 1990s? Last I heard the US wasn't even there.

The oil Russia has sold has ended up where?

Take a look.

Chelsea-Team.jpg

the-A.jpg

Roman Abramovich has $9.8 billion.

Leonid Mikhelson has $18.2 billion.

Gennady Timchenk has $14.2 billion.

Vagit Alekperov has $17.2 billion,

The list continues, people who made an absolute killing out of oil and gas that the Russians sold off cheap.

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935
Estonia at $31,473

Are you telling me that this highly developed industry and infrastructure continues through the turbulent times?

Much of the industry was pulled down because it damaged the environment and caused loads of problems.

Like other former Communist countries the transition from Communism to Capitalism was tough. Wages were low, productivity was low, but Lithuania has come out of it better off than Russia.

They must obey someone. They're too small to be able to make such decisions that large countries could make.

They've made the choice of going with the EU because the EU is going to be a lot better for them than Russia or the US.

NATO isn't a difficult choice, having a defensive pact with the EU and US against Russian aggression is essential. Just ask Georgia and the Ukraine.

Take a look.

Chelsea-Team.jpg

the-A.jpg

The list continues, people who made an absolute killing out of oil and gas that the Russians sold off cheap.
Funny to read about low ecological norms... haven't you seen water burning in water traps in houses situated not far from shale gas extraction? Haven't you heard USA is the only country who refuses to sign international ecological agreement?

For your information Communism never existed unfortunately but it will come to the whole earth in about 2 centuries as it is the most progressive way of living.

By 1991 when 3-baltics separated from the USSR they were very well developed industrially. Now they have almost lost their production and their population became twice less. So...nice capitalistic states...right...

And again you show your lack of education znd/or knowledge.
Ukraine is the country I am from. And 2014 there was western action which ruined the economy and lead to a war...thousands of dead. West sponsored nazi to change the government.
Georgian war was because of Saakashvili who attacked Tskhinvali. And Russia came and saved South Osetia. It was officially said in some international investigations. But western lying media and politicians go on saying lies about Georgia.
So NATO is evil. NATO bombed Yugoslavia, Lybia, Iraq, Syria...
You're on the wrong side! Just open your eyes.

Russia's at $27,890
Lithuania at $31,935
Estonia at $31,473

Take a look.

Chelsea-Team.jpg

the-A.jpg

Funny to read about low ecological norms... haven't you seen water burning in water traps in houses situated not far from shale gas extraction? Haven't you heard USA is the only country who refuses to sign international ecological agreement?

For your information Communism never existed unfortunately but it will come to the whole earth in about 2 centuries as it is the most progressive way of living.

By 1991 when 3-baltics separated from the USSR they were very well developed industrially. Now they have almost lost their production and their population became twice less. So...nice capitalistic states...right...

And again you show your lack of education znd/or knowledge.
Ukraine is the country I am from. And 2014 there was western action which ruined the economy and lead to a war...thousands of dead. West sponsored nazi to change the government.
Georgian war was because of Saakashvili who attacked Tskhinvali. And Russia came and saved South Osetia. It was officially said in some international investigations. But western lying media and politicians go on saying lies about Georgia.
So NATO is evil. NATO bombed Yugoslavia, Lybia, Iraq, Syria...
You're on the wrong side! Just open your eyes.

I don't really get anything you've said.

You're telling me I don't know things because I didn't say it. So, if I make one fact on a post here, does this mean I don't know anything other than this one fact? No.

NATO bombed Yugoslavia to stop a tyrant. Yes, it bombed Libya and that was wrong. I'm not saying the US isn't bad, I'm saying Russia isn't good.

Just because one is bad, doesn't make the other good.

NATO bombed Yugoslavia to stop a tyrant
There wasn't tyrant, it was fake.
And Russia couldn't save peace then as it was weak.
Iraq was lead by american ally Saddam. You called him a "tyrant", you initiated several fakes (killed babies in Kuwait, bacteriological weapons...) You killed more than a million and executed Saddam. Iraq now is half-chaos country.
Lybia was lead by "tyrant". He is killed. Millions refugees went to Europe, lybia is in chaos and the main place for training and arming ISIS terrorists.
Now you say Asad is tyrant basing on what? New fake info?

If USA disappears earth becomes peaceful.

But it is not about people, just your sick government which has been ruling for more than 2 centuries not giving power to anyone from other circles...a typical tyrant monarchy. And they feed people with fake info about democracy so you believe and follow them like sheep.

NATO bombed Yugoslavia to stop a tyrant
There wasn't tyrant, it was fake.
And Russia couldn't save peace then as it was weak.
Iraq was lead by american ally Saddam. You called him a "tyrant", you initiated several fakes (killed babies in Kuwait, bacteriological weapons...) You killed more than a million and executed Saddam. Iraq now is half-chaos country.
Lybia was lead by "tyrant". He is killed. Millions refugees went to Europe, lybia is in chaos and the main place for training and arming ISIS terrorists.
Now you say Asad is tyrant basing on what? New fake info?

If USA disappears earth becomes peaceful.

But it is not about people, just your sick government which has been ruling for more than 2 centuries not giving power to anyone from other circles...a typical tyrant monarchy. And they feed people with fake info about democracy so you believe and follow them like sheep.

Fucking hell. The old "fake news" shit. It was boring when Trump first started using it, it's well past boring now.

I'm not saying the US isn't bad, I'm saying Russia isn't good.
Just because one is bad, doesn't make the other good.

Damn, how I want Russian governments would hear these words...

People upkeep Putin because they waiting, Putin would make an order here, arresting all criminal officials and so on... We give trust for him, saying "go, Vova, let's start to do it". When people would get tired of this awaiting - you should see, what rating Putin will get :)

Forum List

Back