World Cup is Russia’s new Potemkin village

Discussion in 'Sports' started by barryqwalsh, Jun 17, 2018.

1. barryqwalsh

barryqwalsh Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +755
    image (2).jpg

Quite why westerners are perplexed by Putin’s popularity is itself perplexing

David McWilliams: "I am not saying Putin is an angel, but he stopped the mortification of Russia"

David McWilliams: World Cup is Russia’s new Potemkin village

2. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,241
    Pres. Putin is a great leader and loves his country and people.

He has an 87% approval rate among the Russian citizens.

A popularity number that American politicians could only dream of ever achieving. ... :cool:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,622
    Never trust a leader with approval ratings above 80%.

4. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,518
    It's amazing what you can do when you control everything.

People will say they love you out of fear.

Yes, he improved things from the Yeltsin days, but that isn't saying much, is it?

Other Eastern Bloc countries have done better than Russia and they don't have the oil.

Surely their leaders love their country and the people far more, seeing as they don't assassinate those people, and they don't enrich themselves at the cost of their people.

Russia's at $27,890
    Lithuania at $31,935
    Estonia at $31,473
    Czech Republic at $35,233

Leaders in countries who loved their countries enough to make the country stronger and better, rather than playing silly little games.

5. Balancer

Balancer Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +494
    The Baltic countries are sponsoring the European Union. And still they are rapidly dying out. By the way, these figures do not include prices. For example, if you focus on the Big Mac index, then for this money in Russia you can buy 12341 Big Macs, and in Lithuania - 9238 :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,518
    I know what those figures include.

They also don't show all the oil Russia produces, and is still below some other countries.

I wonder why.

7. Eugene

Eugene Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +515
    3-Baltic states got highly developed industry and infrastructure built by the USSR.
    They are actively sponsored by EU.
    They are not free to choose their political vector as they must obey EU and USA. They are occupied in fact by NATO.

Oil...oh, yes it helps much to create new industry, to built infrastructure, to raise everything ruined by USA in 1990s. And to resist western aggression lasting from 1990s till today...military and economic. And all that while playing unfair American financial rules. Hope Bretton Wood system will be crushed soon.

8. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,518
    Are you telling me that this highly developed industry and infrastructure continues through the turbulent times?

Much of the industry was pulled down because it damaged the environment and caused loads of problems.

Like other former Communist countries the transition from Communism to Capitalism was tough. Wages were low, productivity was low, but Lithuania has come out of it better off than Russia.

They must obey someone. They're too small to be able to make such decisions that large countries could make.

They've made the choice of going with the EU because the EU is going to be a lot better for them than Russia or the US.

NATO isn't a difficult choice, having a defensive pact with the EU and US against Russian aggression is essential. Just ask Georgia and the Ukraine.

The US ruined everything in the 1990s? Last I heard the US wasn't even there.

The oil Russia has sold has ended up where?

Take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roman Abramovich has $9.8 billion.

Leonid Mikhelson has $18.2 billion.

Gennady Timchenk has $14.2 billion.

Vagit Alekperov has $17.2 billion,

The list continues, people who made an absolute killing out of oil and gas that the Russians sold off cheap.

9. Eugene

Eugene Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Funny to read about low ecological norms... haven't you seen water burning in water traps in houses situated not far from shale gas extraction? Haven't you heard USA is the only country who refuses to sign international ecological agreement?

For your information Communism never existed unfortunately but it will come to the whole earth in about 2 centuries as it is the most progressive way of living.

By 1991 when 3-baltics separated from the USSR they were very well developed industrially. Now they have almost lost their production and their population became twice less. So...nice capitalistic states...right...

And again you show your lack of education znd/or knowledge.
    Ukraine is the country I am from. And 2014 there was western action which ruined the economy and lead to a war...thousands of dead. West sponsored nazi to change the government.
    Georgian war was because of Saakashvili who attacked Tskhinvali. And Russia came and saved South Osetia. It was officially said in some international investigations. But western lying media and politicians go on saying lies about Georgia.
    So NATO is evil. NATO bombed Yugoslavia, Lybia, Iraq, Syria...
    You're on the wrong side! Just open your eyes.

10. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,518
    I don't really get anything you've said.

You're telling me I don't know things because I didn't say it. So, if I make one fact on a post here, does this mean I don't know anything other than this one fact? No.

NATO bombed Yugoslavia to stop a tyrant. Yes, it bombed Libya and that was wrong. I'm not saying the US isn't bad, I'm saying Russia isn't good.

Just because one is bad, doesn't make the other good.