Baseball is dying

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
MLB Attendance Drops to Lowest Average In 15 Years

Baseball has the lowest attendance in over 15 years.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

It's because small market teams have very little chance to compete on a year by year basis with teams in cities like New York and Los Angeles. There is very little parody in baseball, like there is in the NBA and NFL where draft picks can make such a huge impact in a short period of time, compared to MLB where free agency is much more important. Generally draft picks in MLB take several years to get to the majors, and that's if they ever do.

Many teams are following the Houston, KC, Miami model where you lose 100 games a year for 4-5 years. You dump all your high cost players and stock up on quality minor leaguers and first round draft choices

Yankees and Dodgers have not won in recent years
Crap teams in small markets have

It's because small market teams have very little chance to compete on a year by year basis with teams in cities like New York and Los Angeles. There is very little parody in baseball, like there is in the NBA and NFL where draft picks can make such a huge impact in a short period of time, compared to MLB where free agency is much more important. Generally draft picks in MLB take several years to get to the majors, and that's if they ever do.

Spot on!

How many years will we have to endure watching the Yankees take on the Red Sox in the playoffs?

It just gets old.

If you take the teams by payroll in order, and split them down the middle, you will find that the upper half have winning teams with only a few that don't.

Conversely, if you take the lower half and split them down the middle you have the inverse result, most have losing records except a few that don't

Essentially you can buy yourself a winning season but the playoffs are much harder to predict.

Many teams are following the Houston, KC, Miami model where you lose 100 games a year for 4-5 years. You dump all your high cost players and stock up on quality minor leaguers and first round draft choices

Over the last 20 years, add up the small market teams and big market teams that have won a world series.

I dare ya!

Every time the Yankees don't make the playoffs, it is a big scandal.

I wonder why.

Conversely, if my Reds make the playoffs that become a big scandal.

Baseball lost me 20 years ago. I stopped tuning in after the Sosa McGwire historic hr race. When I was younger I liked it, but I lost interest. I only watch basketball, football, and fighting now.

Over the last 20 years, add up the small market teams and big market teams that have won a world series.

I dare ya!

I wonder why.

I've been a huge Reds fan since I can even remember watching baseball, and the fact is, they may have a winning team every 5 years or so, and then it goes into rebuilding mode all over again. Even when they have their own homegrown talent, once they reach arbitration and free agency, the Reds can no longer afford to keep all the pieces together. They had to decide between Cueto or Homer, they couldn't keep both. They kept Homer and his health has killed them. Cozart finally put together a good bat with a good glove and he priced himself out of the city. The same things will happen with Winker in a few years, and with Scooter after this year.

When Castellini bought the Reds he said he would put more money into the team to make sure they would compete. He hasn't and they haven't had a winning season since 2013.

What did they think was going to happen when you build their stadium and then they triple ticket prices?
Couple that with fact we used to produce rookie of the yrs....batting champions hr champions.....and such...haven't done that in awhile. New players take forever to reach the big leaques as they wait for current crop of losers to mature which rarely happens.

I dare ya!

I wonder why.

I've been a huge Reds fan since I can even remember watching baseball, and the fact is, they may have a winning team every 5 years or so, and then it goes into rebuilding mode all over again. Even when they have their own homegrown talent, once they reach arbitration and free agency, the Reds can no longer afford to keep all the pieces together. They had to decide between Cueto or Homer, they couldn't keep both. They kept Homer and his health has killed them. Cozart finally put together a good bat with a good glove and he priced himself out of the city. The same things will happen with Winker in a few years, and with Scooter after this year.

When Castellini bought the Reds he said he would put more money into the team to make sure they would compete. He hasn't and they haven't had a winning season since 2013.

The Reds are partially to blame for their plight. They CHOSE to adopt a small market mentality even though they have 4 states to draw from, which are Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. The Big Red Machine produced a nation of Reds fans but they pissed it all down the drain and now no one cares. You can't even get the Reds on radio in many places in Ohio now.

Arguably, they even fell short with the Big Red Machine by only winning two World Series. With all that talent, they should have won more.

Having said that, the issue is still payroll in baseball even if the Reds fixed their situation. A quick fix would be to arrange all the divisions according to payroll rather than geographical location. A better fix would be to make it like the NFL and force teams to be on a more even playing field in regards to payroll, but the unions will never go for it.

The last strike essentially have players everything they wanted. They can make as much as they want and play for anyone they want. Now if you are good enough, you can become a Yankee.

Everyone is happy. The fans of big market teams are happy, the media is happy as more tune in to watch the Big Market teams during the playoffs, and the owners could care less. Everyone is happy and making money hand over fist EXCEPT the fans of small market teams.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.

The Astros are doing fine with a small payroll compared to the Yankees.

I dare ya!

I wonder why.

The Reds are partially to blame for their plight. They CHOSE to adopt a small market mentality even though they have 4 states to draw from, which are Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. The Big Red Machine produced a nation of Reds fans but they pissed it all down the drain and now no one cares. You can't even get the Reds on radio in many places in Ohio now.

Arguably, they even fell short with the Big Red Machine by only winning two World Series. With all that talent, they should have won more.

Having said that, the issue is still payroll in baseball even if the Reds fixed their situation. A quick fix would be to arrange all the divisions according to payroll rather than geographical location. A better fix would be to make it like the NFL and force teams to be on a more even playing field in regards to payroll, but the unions will never go for it.

The last strike essentially have players everything they wanted. They can make as much as they want and play for anyone they want. Now if you are good enough, you can become a Yankee.

Everyone is happy. The fans of big market teams are happy, the media is happy as more tune in to watch the Big Market teams during the playoffs, and the owners could care less. Everyone is happy and making money hand over fist EXCEPT the fans of small market teams.

All baseball did to try and put parody back in the game was to give extra draft picks to small market teams, and put a "payroll tax" in place. The payroll tax is a joke however. When the Yankees charge an arm and a leg for a ticket, they can easily afford to pay whatever contract they want, plus the tax on top of it.

So the issue becomes, would you rather be able to see a Reds' game for a $15 ticket, $6 beer, and $2 hot dog and watch a mediocre team, or pay $100 per ticket, $10 for a beer, and $5 for a hot dog to watch a winning team?

Why?

The Astros are still 12th in MLB payroll only $11 million behind the Yankees.

The Red Sox however have a $240 MILLION payroll, compared to the White Sox who are at $78 million.

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Why?

I think it’s the cost. In 1980 my Angels season tickets behind home plate up next to the press box was $2 a seat. Today you’re looking at $150 for a family of 4 to see a game from nose bleed centerfield.

Corporations have bought most of the seats today, little guy can’t compete.

Why?
Times have changed. Baseball is way to slow
The need to put a clock on the pitcher and set a time limit between pitches.
Plus there are way too many games in a season rendering most of them un-impotant

I dare ya!

I wonder why.

Reds had a good playoff team up until four years ago. They sold out their stars and are going on the cheap model

Yankees and Dodgers have the highest payroll and make the playoffs
Not many championships in the last decade

Why?

MLBRevenuesWAdj1995-20131.jpg

MLB league revenue 2001-2017 | Statistic

$9.6 billion in 2017

They're being crushed by the weight of all that money!

Why?

The Red Sox however have a $240 MILLION payroll, compared to the White Sox who are at $78 million.

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118
Astros payroll..163,300,474

Professional baseball became dead to me when MLB sent a team to kiss Obama and Castro's commie asses.

Why?

MLB 2018 Payroll Tracker

Nope.....
Sox payroll..240,013,118
Astros payroll..163,300,474

I didn't compare the Red Sox payroll to the Astros. I compared them to the Yankees like YOU did.

I compared the Red Sox (highest) with the White Sox (lowest).

Forum List

Back