AVG-Gun Owner.

Good for you. Their revolvers have a good reputation, I don't know about the semi autos. Definitely go to the range and put rounds through it until you are confident it runs well. I'm assuming it's 9mm?

Yes, sir. 9mm.

This weapon comes with a pretty good on-line reputation, and it wasn't very expensive - $400 with tax, title and back-ground check. I was drawn to the caliber, the fact that it's made in USA and damn, does it fit my big right hand well. Not a lot of the pistols on the display shelf did.
Then you wouldn't want a Ruger .380. That thing is so small I carry it in my shirt pocket.

I looked at the 38's. All of them were too small for me to grip with all three fingers not being used to pull the trigger and the two that held the gun were very distracted by the pinky finger scrambling for purchase. Control is the name of this game,
38s and .380s are different rounds. The .380 is small, I have the Colt Mustang but it's a pocket gun. I don't use the little finger on it.

Thanks... makes sense. The ones I that examined and rejected were "38 Specials".

Too small is too small.

Good for you. Their revolvers have a good reputation, I don't know about the semi autos. Definitely go to the range and put rounds through it until you are confident it runs well. I'm assuming it's 9mm?

Indeed. Until you have put (say) 1,000 rounds through her - she won't be "broke in" :)
I've heard 500 but I have .45s for the most part and more than a few that have seen no where near that.

Oh, I was just kidding :) Put as many as you can downrange. It's as good for YOU as it is the weapon! :)
1,000 would be a good number, if I hadn't had so many guns follow me home I could afford more ammo.

Indeed. Until you have put (say) 1,000 rounds through her - she won't be "broke in" :)
I've heard 500 but I have .45s for the most part and more than a few that have seen no where near that.

Oh, I was just kidding :) Put as many as you can downrange. It's as good for YOU as it is the weapon! :)

Practice, practice, practice! :thup:

Yes, sir. 9mm.

This weapon comes with a pretty good on-line reputation, and it wasn't very expensive - $400 with tax, title and back-ground check. I was drawn to the caliber, the fact that it's made in USA and damn, does it fit my big right hand well. Not a lot of the pistols on the display shelf did.
Then you wouldn't want a Ruger .380. That thing is so small I carry it in my shirt pocket.

I looked at the 38's. All of them were too small for me to grip with all three fingers not being used to pull the trigger and the two that held the gun were very distracted by the pinky finger scrambling for purchase. Control is the name of this game,
38s and .380s are different rounds. The .380 is small, I have the Colt Mustang but it's a pocket gun. I don't use the little finger on it.

Indeed. The .380 is often called the "baby 9" in it's slight similarities to the 9mm round. I bought my Wife a Walther PPK and I've fired it a number of times and (surprisingly) with the right ammo (JHP - Corbon) it can be deadly as hell. Couple that with it's small size (my Wife carries it in her purse) and you have a good conceal carry.

Last edited:

Practice, practice, practice! :thup:

Indeed. Living where I do (260 acres) I have no need for a "range" and I usually carry either my Sig 220 or 226 when I head into the mountains and have caught myself on numerous occasions "plinking the day away". :)

Yes, sir. 9mm.

Thanks... makes sense. The ones I that examined and rejected were "38 Specials".

Too small is too small.
Oh, that's a revolver round though. They make 38 specials in many sizes, some quite big. Used to be the go to round for police, even war. I have the Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. That size chamber also shoots the 38s, cheaper for target practice. It is a small gun but a .357 is a potent sumbitch.

Indeed. The .380 is often called the "baby 9" in it's slight similarities to the 9mm round. I bout my Wife a Walther PPK and I've fired it a number of times and (surprisingly) with the right ammo (JHP - Corbon) it can be deadly as hell. Couple that with it's small size (my Wife carries it in her purse) and you have a good conceal carry.

Thanks. We're still shopping for just the right weapon for AVG-Wife, and you're not the first to recommend the PPK.

Indeed. The .380 is often called the "baby 9" in it's slight similarities to the 9mm round. I bout my Wife a Walther PPK and I've fired it a number of times and (surprisingly) with the right ammo (JHP - Corbon) it can be deadly as hell. Couple that with it's small size (my Wife carries it in her purse) and you have a good conceal carry.

Thanks. We're still shopping for just the right weapon for AVG-Wife, and you're not the first to recommend the PPK.

If you are looking for a nice-priced weapon (with the frame of the PPK) I have a friend who carries a Bersa Thunder in .380. He speaks highly of it. Cost? $300 bucks.

I've spent the last couple of hours looking at accessories and holsters...

:uhoh3: O. M. G.
Does anyone know if these are quality products that work as advertised?

LG_6_Long__44117.1446781196.1280.1280.png

I used to date a woman who had been an operating room nurse for 15 years in a VA hospital that seemed to have a somewhat shady clientele. Being a single woman working in a marginal neighborhood at all hours of the day and night, she wanted a gun for protection. She told me that she had made it a point to find out what caliber had been used on the dozens of people undergoing emergency surgery. She told me that the 9 MM wins in the lethal category every time. She agreed that a 45 could make a hell of a mess, but that there was no comparison to a 9MM for being deadly. Of course, in the urban world, nobody walks around with a 357 or 44 mag. On her recommendation, I retired my 38 special revolver and bought a 9 MM automatic. I still keep the 38 special revolver for my bedside nightstand. It is actually mostly for sentimental reasons. It is a WW2 vintage Colt 38 special. Some day, it will be a collector's item.

Last edited:

:)

You've entered the Twighlight Zone" of shooting accessories....

There are as many holsters as there are stars in the sky. Maybe this will help: how do you want to carry? Shoulder rigs have always worked well for me, but in the summer they can be a pain. So, to offset that I use a T-shirt holster (look them up, there are THOUSANDS of them:) )

For side carry, you have to decide whether you want to go leather, plastic, cloth, inside the belt, outside the belt, inside the waist band, inside the wais band.......it boggles the mind...

I personally prefer leather, but again, that's me. I also use a holster for my Sigs made by IMI defense. They build holsters for the Isralie defense forces and are quite comfortable with jeans.

Honestly, though, I would steer you to cabelas or Bass Pro and take a look at the HUNDREDS of holsters available....it's never ending.

Some folks like Galco leather. Me? I prefer Fitzpatrick leather holsters and both are online.

Good luck.....the right holster can make the difference between comfort and absolute AGONY....

You show great restraint ...
I buy a new firearm and it'll have a thousand through it in the first week.

Yes, sir. 9mm.

Yep....
upload_2016-3-12_22-18-31.png

And you can hit a six inch plate at 40ft easily.

Should have the CC permit within 90 days.

AVG-Wife and I have a new hobby!

As you probably know...get lots of training....secure your weapon when it is not under your direct control...for your car...get a lockable gun container/safe.....check Amazon, that is where I found mine.

iF you have kids.....if they are old enough teach them gun safety......

You are now part of the 2nd Amendment line of defence...if you screw up you give ammo to the enemies of one of our basic freedoms....

I have one for each gun.......but I consider it a quick holster for a quick trip or around the house.......I have a good kydex holster for carrying all day. Make sure whatever holster you get covers the trigger........

Know your gun laws......do you have carry insurance.....in case you actually have to defend yourself? There is one group with Massad Ayoob on heir board...this group and the others will give you a recommended list of defense attorneys in your area...and if you have to defend yourself and get charged...they give the attorney you choose the 5,000 dollar retainer to start your defense...and if you were justified....but the prosecutor is a prick...they will pay for your defense.......

Definitely something to look into.........

Do you know what to do if you are involved in a shooting?

Good luck..carry smart.....

My holster

new-tuckable-holster-4.jpg

Assuming that the photo is not flipped, is that considered a "right-hand draw"?

If I go with that style, I'm thinking that I want it more in the small of my back with the trigger down, and a lefty would work.

Forum List

Back