AVG-Gun Owner.

I used to date a woman who had been an operating room nurse for 15 years in a VA hospital that seemed to have a somewhat shady clientele. Being a single woman working in a marginal neighborhood at all hours of the day and night, she wanted a gun for protection. She told me that she had made it a point to find out what caliber had been used on the dozens of people undergoing emergency surgery. She told me that the 9 MM wins in the lethal category every time. She agreed that a 45 could make a hell of a mess, but that there was no comparison to a 9MM for being deadly. Of course, in the urban world, nobody walks around with a 357 or 44 mag. On her recommendation, I retired my 38 special revolver and bought a 9 MM automatic. I still keep the 38 special revolver for my bedside nightstand. It is actually mostly for sentimental reasons. It is a WW2 vintage Colt 38 special. Some day, it will be a collector's item.
I hope you realize her research was useless since 9mm is the overwhelming choice for street shootings. Of course many more deaths are going to show up in looking at raw numbers.

There are pros and cons to every choice but it's still a pistol round. A single .22 can kill you or you can take 4 .45s and survive. It all depends. And your 9mm is a semi-auto. An automatic only needs one trigger pull to empty out.

:)

You've entered the Twighlight Zone" of shooting accessories....

There are as many holsters as there are stars in the sky. Maybe this will help: how do you want to carry? Shoulder rigs have always worked well for me, but in the summer they can be a pain. So, to offset that I use a T-shirt holster (look them up, there are THOUSANDS of them:) )

For side carry, you have to decide whether you want to go leather, plastic, cloth, inside the belt, outside the belt, inside the waist band, inside the wais band.......it boggles the mind...

I personally prefer leather, but again, that's me. I also use a holster for my Sigs made by IMI defense. They build holsters for the Isralie defense forces and are quite comfortable with jeans.

Honestly, though, I would steer you to cabelas or Bass Pro and take a look at the HUNDREDS of holsters available....it's never ending.

Some folks like Galco leather. Me? I prefer Fitzpatrick leather holsters and both are online.

Good luck.....the right holster can make the difference between comfort and absolute AGONY....

As I mentioned in my reply to Hossfly's post, I'm thinking that I want to draw with my right hand from the small of my back with the trigger down, and the barrel pointing at my at my left ass-cheek. From the photos online, it appears that a left-handed, inside-the-waist might serve me. That's why the 'Sticky' type caught my eye. I can sweat, and if my holster is between my belt and me, I want something that will envelope and protect the weapon.

I saw the undershirt models, but in Florida in the summertime, less is more when it comes to clothing.

Thanks for the tip on the big retailers, I'll check out Bass Pro and see if I can try on several...

I wear overalls a lot and keep a Ruger LCR in the pocket in the "bib". This works well for me as I can draw with either hand when seated while working or driving a vehicle. This can be a real problem with waist holsters.

Good for you. Their revolvers have a good reputation, I don't know about the semi autos. Definitely go to the range and put rounds through it until you are confident it runs well. I'm assuming it's 9mm?

Yes, sir. 9mm.

This weapon comes with a pretty good on-line reputation, and it wasn't very expensive - $400 with tax, title and back-ground check. I was drawn to the caliber, the fact that it's made in USA and damn, does it fit my big right hand well. Not a lot of the pistols on the display shelf did.
Fit, it's the biggest problem I have with Glocks. I have huge hands and the narrow silhouette sidearms work best for me, probably the same with you.
Ruger has a very good reputation these days, like a lot of manufacturers not so good in the past but have become much, much better with time.
Take Taurus, I would buy a Taurus revolver in a heartbeat but you couldn't give me a Taurus semi-auto, I'd be afraid the damn thing would blow up in my hand.

I used to date a woman who had been an operating room nurse for 15 years in a VA hospital that seemed to have a somewhat shady clientele. Being a single woman working in a marginal neighborhood at all hours of the day and night, she wanted a gun for protection. She told me that she had made it a point to find out what caliber had been used on the dozens of people undergoing emergency surgery. She told me that the 9 MM wins in the lethal category every time. She agreed that a 45 could make a hell of a mess, but that there was no comparison to a 9MM for being deadly. Of course, in the urban world, nobody walks around with a 357 or 44 mag. On her recommendation, I retired my 38 special revolver and bought a 9 MM automatic. I still keep the 38 special revolver for my bedside nightstand. It is actually mostly for sentimental reasons. It is a WW2 vintage Colt 38 special. Some day, it will be a collector's item.
.38 was the preferred standard caliber since it's introduction in 1902 and still is the most purchased round today, yup even over the current industry standard 9 mils.
The Moros (during the Moro Rebellion) would tie off their extremities (limiting blood flow), get high as a kite and attack with spears and knives, the standard Army .38 of the time would not even slow them down so the Army started using the .45 Colt, one or two shots would stop the Moros before they could get close enough to hack and stab our soldiers to death.
Don't believe the hype about the 9 mil being the deadliest sidearm cartridge out there, it's not, not by any stretch of the imagination, even the lowely .38 beats it. Doesn't mean it's not deadly, it's just no where near as deadly as some claim.

My holster

new-tuckable-holster-4.jpg

Assuming that the photo is not flipped, is that considered a "right-hand draw"?

If I go with that style, I'm thinking that I want it more in the small of my back with the trigger down, and a lefty would work.
Most gun shops offer left and right hand holsters depending on where you want to carry it on your body. Here's a picture of one I like but won't wear.

th

I hope you realize her research was useless since 9mm is the overwhelming choice for street shootings. Of course many more deaths are going to show up in looking at raw numbers.

There are pros and cons to every choice but it's still a pistol round. A single .22 can kill you or you can take 4 .45s and survive. It all depends. And your 9mm is a semi-auto. An automatic only needs one trigger pull to empty out.

I can state - for a fact - that the .22 is the perfect "assassination" weapon. In the early 80s, both sides, (the US and USSR) used them extensively throughout Europe. You'd simply walk up behind a local Kommisar and put one in the back of the noggin, next to the right ear. Death was instant.

This started as a result of the KGB coming across the border and taking out GIs. We pulled many young men (and a few WACs) from the Rhine, The Nekkar, etc. That's a part of the Cold War that (unfortunately) many have never heard.

Hell, truth be told, ANY caliber bullet can be extremely lethal. As a kid, I took hundreds rabbits and squirrels with a .410 shotgun. I believe that Hollywood has perpetuated the "myth" that a .45 will put a hole the size of a house in a person. Unfortunately, there are too many reports of guys getting up after being hit with either a .45 OR a 9mm.

The way to get those numbers down (with either caliber)? Shoot for the head. :)

My holster

new-tuckable-holster-4.jpg

Assuming that the photo is not flipped, is that considered a "right-hand draw"?

If I go with that style, I'm thinking that I want it more in the small of my back with the trigger down, and a lefty would work.
Most gun shops offer left and right hand holsters depending on where you want to carry it on your body. Here's a picture of one I like but won't wear.

th

I don't know....I believe I could wear that like a cheap suit :)

(Looks around for the Wife) :)

:)

You've entered the Twighlight Zone" of shooting accessories....

There are as many holsters as there are stars in the sky. Maybe this will help: how do you want to carry? Shoulder rigs have always worked well for me, but in the summer they can be a pain. So, to offset that I use a T-shirt holster (look them up, there are THOUSANDS of them:) )

For side carry, you have to decide whether you want to go leather, plastic, cloth, inside the belt, outside the belt, inside the waist band, inside the wais band.......it boggles the mind...

I personally prefer leather, but again, that's me. I also use a holster for my Sigs made by IMI defense. They build holsters for the Isralie defense forces and are quite comfortable with jeans.

Honestly, though, I would steer you to cabelas or Bass Pro and take a look at the HUNDREDS of holsters available....it's never ending.

Some folks like Galco leather. Me? I prefer Fitzpatrick leather holsters and both are online.

Good luck.....the right holster can make the difference between comfort and absolute AGONY....

As I mentioned in my reply to Hossfly's post, I'm thinking that I want to draw with my right hand from the small of my back with the trigger down, and the barrel pointing at my at my left ass-cheek. From the photos online, it appears that a left-handed, inside-the-waist might serve me. That's why the 'Sticky' type caught my eye. I can sweat, and if my holster is between my belt and me, I want something that will envelope and protect the weapon.

I saw the undershirt models, but in Florida in the summertime, less is more when it comes to clothing.

Thanks for the tip on the big retailers, I'll check out Bass Pro and see if I can try on several...

No problem. You are right. If you are looking for a SOB holster and you are right handed - go for the left handed holster. It will be MUCH easier to get if you need it in a hurry.

.38 was the preferred standard caliber since it's introduction in 1902 and still is the most purchased round today, yup even over the current industry standard 9 mils.
The Moros (during the Moro Rebellion) would tie off their extremities (limiting blood flow), get high as a kite and attack with spears and knives, the standard Army .38 of the time would not even slow them down so the Army started using the .45 Colt, one or two shots would stop the Moros before they could get close enough to hack and stab our soldiers to death.
Don't believe the hype about the 9 mil being the deadliest sidearm cartridge out there, it's not, not by any stretch of the imagination, even the lowely .38 beats it. Doesn't mean it's not deadly, it's just no where near as deadly as some claim.

YESSSS Ring, I know that it is a semi-automatic, and so does everyone else. Do I really need to spell it out? As for the 45, you are right. It will stop anything, but My lady friend who was a nurse told me that she seldom saw anyone hit by a 45 more than once, whereas with a 9 MM, three hits were normal.

I wear overalls a lot and keep a Ruger LCR in the pocket in the "bib". This works well for me as I can draw with either hand when seated while working or driving a vehicle. This can be a real problem with waist holsters.

Thanks, but overalls in Florida are just wrong unless you cut them off, and then they tend to look like lederhosen, which is also just plain wrong for a man my age.

YESSSS Ring, I know that it is a semi-automatic, and so does everyone else. Do I really need to spell it out? As for the 45, you are right. It will stop anything, but My lady friend who was a nurse told me that she seldom saw anyone hit by a 45 more than once, whereas with a 9 MM, three hits were normal.
Yes, a three tap, center mass is standard training and I never mentioned anything about it being semi-auto, it's ballistics that I was referring to, obviously you missed it. Why so many 9 mil wounds/deaths? That's easy, what is the most used sidearm today? The 9 mil........ Before the 9 mil it was the .38 that caused the most wounds/deaths as it was the most used sidearm, kind of a duh moment don'tcha think......... :eusa_whistle:

Thanks, but overalls in Florida are just wrong unless you cut them off, and then they tend to look like lederhosen, which is also just plain wrong for a man my age.

Florida.....I remember August 1974 in the panhandle (where they now hold SERE school)

It is a small glimpse of what hell must feel like :)

I can state - for a fact - that the .22 is the perfect "assassination" weapon. In the early 80s, both sides, (the US and USSR) used them extensively throughout Europe. You'd simply walk up behind a local Kommisar and put one in the back of the noggin, next to the right ear. Death was instant.

This started as a result of the KGB coming across the border and taking out GIs. We pulled many young men (and a few WACs) from the Rhine, The Nekkar, etc. That's a part of the Cold War that (unfortunately) many have never heard.

Hell, truth be told, ANY caliber bullet can be extremely lethal. As a kid, I took hundreds rabbits and squirrels with a .410 shotgun. I believe that Hollywood has perpetuated the "myth" that a .45 will put a hole the size of a house in a person. Unfortunately, there are too many reports of guys getting up after being hit with either a .45 OR a 9mm.

The way to get those numbers down (with either caliber)? Shoot for the head. :)

Good point. The quality of the shot is far more important than the size of the bullet.

Practice, practice, practice! :beer:

Know your gun laws......do you have carry insurance.....in case you actually have to defend yourself? There is one group with Massad Ayoob on heir board...this group and the others will give you a recommended list of defense attorneys in your area...and if you have to defend yourself and get charged...they give the attorney you choose the 5,000 dollar retainer to start your defense...and if you were justified....but the prosecutor is a prick...they will pay for your defense.......

Definitely something to look into.........

Do you know what to do if you are involved in a shooting?

Good luck..carry smart.....
Good advice. Most people, including gun grabbers think that CC is easy. They don't realize that you are governed by many regulations and laws you have to consider before you pull a gun or even shoot somebody. That when the police arrive you will surrender your gun and you will more than likely be booked. That you will have to appear before a judge for administrative justice and possible charges by a prosecutor. It's for your protection as a licensed gun carrier. The judge will either recommend you get a lawyer or based on the incident, will find you not guilty.
All these legalities will be taught in CC class.

There is one thing that, I PROMISE, will make ANY shooter better...

Practice. Then practice. Then practice, repeat as often as necessary. The more the better. Then practice some more.

And remember: those silhouettes aren't shooting back.

Yup. I just purchased my very first firearm. I get to pick it up in 3 days.

top.jpg

Made in America, of course :thup:

Excellent choice, you'll be very happy with that. I have two older Rugers, a Standard built in '63 and a P-89 from the '90s. They both perform flawlessly.

My wife chose a SR9c five years ago and LOVES it. We go to the range on a regular basis, an it is the only handgun she shoots, so it has put thousands of rounds downrange without a single mechanical flaw or failure.

I was an Army medic in Vietnam, have worked as a nurse in several ERs and have been an avid hunter all my life. I think shot placement is most important, penetration is next most, followed by bullet performance. I have yet to find a vet returning from the sand pile that has any great praise for the 9mm. Some units have gone back to the ole 1911. That or a good .357 would be my choice also for social purposes.

Interesting post...but why "in the urban world, nobody walks around with a 357"?

Here is my 357 with my 9mm and mouse gun.

Daves guns 1.png

The 357 is wider than the 9mm, but otherwise almost the same size.

Indeed. The .380 is often called the "baby 9" in it's slight similarities to the 9mm round. I bout my Wife a Walther PPK and I've fired it a number of times and (surprisingly) with the right ammo (JHP - Corbon) it can be deadly as hell. Couple that with it's small size (my Wife carries it in her purse) and you have a good conceal carry.

Thanks. We're still shopping for just the right weapon for AVG-Wife, and you're not the first to recommend the PPK.

I'll make an off-the-wall recommendation...Century Arms is importing a slew of Polish P64 Makarov 9x18 semi-autos, very similar to the PPK.

A little more powerful than a .380, but less than a 9mm NATO.

These little guns are built like a tanks.

Bulk 9x18 Makarov is comparable to 9mm NATO. 1000 rounds of TulAmmo goes for $200.

p64.png

And @ $232 delivered with holster and 2 mags, you can hardly beat the price.

FNS-9 Contest Entry: Polish P-64 Gun Review - The Truth About Guns

Educational Zone #113 - Interesting Firearms - The Polish Radom P-64 Pistol - The Box O' Truth

CIA HG3279G P64 9MM MAKAROV

Forum List

Back