atheist and christmas

Hey Fox when Caucasions become the minority you may be living under Catholic doctrine. Just as Christians NOW try to force their views on the rest of us (see abortion) the catholic church may try to say BAN condome sales, or they may BAN divorce........Bad Bad thing for Catholics......I think you need to chop off your wifes head for the church to accept it.

Anything is possible, but if enough people continue to defend our Constitution and the principles upon which it is founded, the Church will not have the power to ban or demand anything. Surely you aren't suggesting that only caucasions would agree with me on that. But just in case, are you suggesting that all the billion plus Catholics of the world be lined up and shot? Or why don't we just ban all religion outright? Look how well the people used to fare under that policy in China and the U.S.S.R.

I rather prefer to keep laws in place that protect my right to agree or disagree with any tenet of any religion and allow others that same right. Why isn't my preference the best policy for everybody?

Well unfortunately you are not the norm.......RIGHT NOW the majority of Christians would be MORE than happy to impose their religious views upon the rest of the American citizens. Your type of Christian I can deal with. People of FAITH who want to practice their FAITH in their HERATS, HOMES, and CHURCHES not the PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Right now in Idaho we are having a court battle over the Bible in PUBLIC schools where it ABSOLUTELY does not belong.

Hey Fox when Caucasions become the minority you may be living under Catholic doctrine. Just as Christians NOW try to force their views on the rest of us (see abortion) the catholic church may try to say BAN condome sales, or they may BAN divorce........Bad Bad thing for Catholics......I think you need to chop off your wifes head for the church to accept it.

Anything is possible, but if enough people continue to defend our Constitution and the principles upon which it is founded, the Church will not have the power to ban or demand anything. Surely you aren't suggesting that only caucasions would agree with me on that. But just in case, are you suggesting that all the billion plus Catholics of the world be lined up and shot? Or why don't we just ban all religion outright? Look how well the people used to fare under that policy in China and the U.S.S.R.

I rather prefer to keep laws in place that protect my right to agree or disagree with any tenet of any religion and allow others that same right. Why isn't my preference the best policy for everybody?

Well unfortunately you are not the norm.......RIGHT NOW the majority of Christians would be MORE than happy to impose their religious views upon the rest of the American citizens. Your type of Christian I can deal with. People of FAITH who want to practice their FAITH in their HERATS, HOMES, and CHURCHES not the PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Right now in Idaho we are having a court battle over the Bible in PUBLIC schools where it ABSOLUTELY does not belong.

Well thank you, but in defense of Christianity, it is probably true that most Christians would want for you the amazing grace and joy that they experience through their relationship with Jesus Christ and probably most Christians would assist you in any way they could to help you know that grace and joy.

I disagree that the majority of Christians would choose to impose their religious views on anybody. I think the majority of Christians do not want the public schools to be engaged in promoting or practicing any form of religion, but neither do they want the schools to be engaged in practices that communicate to school children that their God, their faith, is not welcome at their school. And they do not want the schools pushing anti-religious doctrine or infusing the kids with a lot of social engineering nonsense.

So there is room for much discussion, give and take, accommodation and understanding on all front there.

To project your displeasure with the activity or actions of one group of Christians or a few individuals upon the whole of Christianity is as foolish and prejudicial as any of us condemning the entire gay community for the imprudence of a few or all Muslims because one officer wigged out or all environmentalists because of the illegal activities of a small group.

Christian don,t force nothing on you. You just keep saying there's no god, but yet you want to celebrate his son birthday, and not acknowledge that's the occasion.

Cecile I guess the prob I have with the Vatican is that they keep those documents under LOCK and KEY and don't even allow religious scholars to view them. I think they have documents that contradict their beleifs and refuse to even QUESTION whether they are right or wrong.

Once again, I don't have a particular problem with that, because those documents belong to them and are theirs to do with as they wish. If they want to make a bonfire out of them, they have that right. Why they choose to do so is pretty much their business as well.

Now if you don't CARE about the amount of POWER the Catholic church weilds then too bad for you because when the POPE comes out and demands that YOU change your everyday life I think you will feel different but....

Show me some indication that the Pope has either the ability or the will to tell me what to do with my everyday life, and perhaps I'll become a paranoid Catholic hater as well. For the time being, I will reserve my concerns for those who have already exhibited both, coupled with a shockingly arrogant ignorance of morals or common sense. (Democrat Party, please pick up the house phone.)

When they came for the comunists I said nothing I was not a communist.....

When they came for the Jews I said nothing I was not a Jew.....

When they came for me there was no one left to speak out....

The Catholic church is against CONDOMS......Could they be any more INSANE?

I see nothing insane about that. Do I agree with them? No. Do I define "insane" as "anything that varies from my worldview"? No. Although I do have to question the sanity of anyone who believes the Catholics are "coming for" anyone. I have no reason to believe the Catholics, let alone the Pope, even give a damn about me, at least in that sense.

The Vatican still largely exists in the 14th century. They REALLY need to get a little less draconian in their views if they want to keep and attract more followers.

How do you know they "exist in the 14th century"? Have you even been to Vatican City? And how are we defining "exists in the 14th century", anyway? Not agreeing with your worldview and morals?

Religion isn't like the fashion industry, Cold, where you update the style and the advertising every four months to suit the latest fad. One doesn't tailor one's basic beliefs according to the way they're wearing morals this season.

I beg your pardon, but where the bloody hell do you get off not only attempting to speak for "most Christians", but defaming us by claiming that we are somehow less interested in freedom of conscience than anyone else is? How dare you? Unless you conducted a poll of every Christian in the world, or even in America, and have hard, cold statistical data to back up your incredibly offensive and insulting claim, I will be expecting an apology immediately. Apparently, this sort of arrogant, obnoxiously crass rudeness is what I get for trying to be polite and conduct a civilized conversation around here.

Christian don,t force nothing on you. You just keep saying there's no god, but yet you want to celebrate his son birthday, and not acknowledge that's the occasion.

Actually I know that Dec 25th is NOT the day Jesus was born but a co-opted PAGAN holiday. I celebrate it because friends and familiy recognise it and I would rather allow those who are religious to celebrate the holiday rather than dispute it with them. As I have noted COUNTLESS times I respect people of FAITH but question the need for RELIGION. Why do people NEED religion to practice their FAITH? I beleive RELIGION is an impedimate to true FAITH. Why do you need a preacher to tell you about the Bible and about God. To me it makes as much sense as someone explaining to me why I like Football or Basketball or why I LOVE MY WIFE........They know NOTHING about MY mind and MY heart so why leave something as personal as FAITH to another person?

Actually I know that Dec 25th is NOT the day Jesus was born but a co-opted PAGAN holiday. I celebrate it because friends and familiy recognise it and I would rather allow those who are religious to celebrate the holiday rather than dispute it with them. As I have noted COUNTLESS times I respect people of FAITH but question the need for RELIGION. Why do people NEED religion to practice their FAITH? I beleive RELIGION is an impedimate to true FAITH. Why do you need a preacher to tell you about the Bible and about God. To me it makes as much sense as someone explaining to me why I like Football or Basketball or why I LOVE MY WIFE........They know NOTHING about MY mind and MY heart so why leave something as personal as FAITH to another person?

you have faith in what?

Well thank you, but in defense of Christianity, it is probably true that most Christians would want for you the amazing grace and joy that they experience through their relationship with Jesus Christ and probably most Christians would assist you in any way they could to help you know that grace and joy.

I disagree that the majority of Christians would choose to impose their religious views on anybody. I think the majority of Christians do not want the public schools to be engaged in promoting or practicing any form of religion, but neither do they want the schools to be engaged in practices that communicate to school children that their God, their faith, is not welcome at their school. And they do not want the schools pushing anti-religious doctrine or infusing the kids with a lot of social engineering nonsense.

So there is room for much discussion, give and take, accommodation and understanding on all front there.

To project your displeasure with the activity or actions of one group of Christians or a few individuals upon the whole of Christianity is as foolish and prejudicial as any of us condemning the entire gay community for the imprudence of a few or all Muslims because one officer wigged out or all environmentalists because of the illegal activities of a small group.

I do appologise as I recognise the truth in your statement that it is NOT the majority but a VERY vocal minority. I am not offended when I go to my in-laws and join them in prayer as I am sure if I asked to opt-out they would oblige me, but I join out of RESPECT for their beleifs and because they are two of the most wonderful people on Earth. It harms me not.
However I do NOT go to Church services although I know they would like me to be there(especially my mother in law) because I don't like churches and I would HATE to have a freak electrical storm end my time on this Earth with my loved ones looking on. LOL. But as you pointed out I should choose my words more carefully it is just that the minority ESPECIALLY in Idaho are VERY VOCAL and due to the conservative nature of Idaho they tend to weild a power greater than their #s would otherwise warrant.

Cecile I guess the prob I have with the Vatican is that they keep those documents under LOCK and KEY and don't even allow religious scholars to view them. I think they have documents that contradict their beleifs and refuse to even QUESTION whether they are right or wrong.

Once again, I don't have a particular problem with that, because those documents belong to them and are theirs to do with as they wish. If they want to make a bonfire out of them, they have that right. Why they choose to do so is pretty much their business as well.

Now if you don't CARE about the amount of POWER the Catholic church weilds then too bad for you because when the POPE comes out and demands that YOU change your everyday life I think you will feel different but....

Show me some indication that the Pope has either the ability or the will to tell me what to do with my everyday life, and perhaps I'll become a paranoid Catholic hater as well. For the time being, I will reserve my concerns for those who have already exhibited both, coupled with a shockingly arrogant ignorance of morals or common sense. (Democrat Party, please pick up the house phone.)

I see nothing insane about that. Do I agree with them? No. Do I define "insane" as "anything that varies from my worldview"? No. Although I do have to question the sanity of anyone who believes the Catholics are "coming for" anyone. I have no reason to believe the Catholics, let alone the Pope, even give a damn about me, at least in that sense.

Sadly FAR too many documents from the past have been burned. The library at Alexandria sacked and burned.......It disturbs me greatly to have knowlege destroyed.....I mean it REALLY disturbs me. If I found a document that proved beyond a DOUBT that everything I beleive in is FALSE I would copy it and give the original to whatever group made the most sense then I would read my copy over and over and over again until I knew the TRUTH. I argue with many people from many different paths but when I am PROVEN wrong I am ALWAYS willing to acknowlege it. There is a quote from Socretes though I can't recall it exactley but it says in essence if I am proven wrong then I have come away from the argument a BETTER man if you feel like I do then let us debate. But to DESTROY and take something away from the world FOREVER is senseless.

Sadly FAR too many documents from the past have been burned. The library at Alexandria sacked and burned.......It disturbs me greatly to have knowlege destroyed.....I mean it REALLY disturbs me. If I found a document that proved beyond a DOUBT that everything I beleive in is FALSE I would copy it and give the original to whatever group made the most sense then I would read my copy over and over and over again until I knew the TRUTH. I argue with many people from many different paths but when I am PROVEN wrong I am ALWAYS willing to acknowlege it. There is a quote from Socretes though I can't recall it exactley but it says in essence if I am proven wrong then I have come away from the argument a BETTER man if you feel like I do then let us debate. But to DESTROY and take something away from the world FOREVER is senseless.

If you knew without a doubt about something, there would be no need for faith.God wants you to believe in him, through faith in his word.

Sadly FAR too many documents from the past have been burned. The library at Alexandria sacked and burned........

Shit happens, especially over millenia. And for the record, no one knows for sure who burned the Library of Alexandria, but it probably wasn't the Catholics.

It disturbs me greatly to have knowlege destroyed.....I mean it REALLY disturbs me. If I found a document that proved beyond a DOUBT that everything I beleive in is FALSE I would copy it and give the original to whatever group made the most sense then I would read my copy over and over and over again until I knew the TRUTH.

Yeah, well, I think destroying knowledge is a bad idea, as well. I also think it's pointless, because once something is known, it can't be unknown, and someone else somewhere else is going to come up with it again, anyway.

Also for the record, I don't think there's much danger of the Catholic Church destroying knowledge, because they do have a long and storied history of preserving and protecting it, and even promoting it.

I argue with many people from many different paths but when I am PROVEN wrong I am ALWAYS willing to acknowlege it. There is a quote from Socretes though I can't recall it exactley but it says in essence if I am proven wrong then I have come away from the argument a BETTER man if you feel like I do then let us debate. But to DESTROY and take something away from the world FOREVER is senseless.

See above.

Well to put things into perspective, please show me several charitable organizations intended to relieve human suffering and provide a bit of hope and encouragement to the poor, destitute, and/or disabled that were founded and operated or are operated by Atheists and/or Atheist organizations.

Then compare those to the ongoing relief efforts to the poorest of the world's poor, the soup kitchens, thrift shops, leper colonies, orphanages, homeless shelters, humanitarian hospitals and missions, rehab centers, etc. that are run by Christians. Among just a few examples, for instance, my own church is involved in hands on work and ministries with the friendless and family-less in nursing homes and hospitals, runs an ongoing program for about 200 otherwise disadvantaged kids, is engaged in ministries to seniors, troubled marriages, those addicted to various substances, the disabled, and relief of those mired in poverty throughout the world.

And then please explain again how giving to the Church is for the Church to use for political reasons or to amass and horde wealth and/or how the non-religious are doing so much more that is beneficial for their fellow humans.

No doubt churches and those who attend them do MASSIVE works of good for people around the world. My in-laws did Habitat for Humanity and helped give someone a HOME it doesn't get much better than that However I feel (and hey it's just my feeling) that when Churches use funds for POLITICAL purposes and the HOARDING that many churches do with MILLIONS like TV evangelists and Mega churches they should no longer be eligable for tax free status as they have now begun to produce a PROFIT. Do you remember Tammy Fay tearfully saying "It's JESUS' ministry" and take ANY of the 800 Club or other TV programs seriously enough to SEND MONEY knowing how these "Preachers" live!!!??? I thought the life of a preacher was supposed to be HUMBLE, why do some many Christians support this kind of lifestyle when people are homeless/can't feed themselves. As an athiest I just find it VERY sad that that type of money could go to the needy. I feel the same way about the Churches themselves.......Would you be able to worship just as well in a mini-mall corner shop as in a MULTI-MILLION $ church with all the bells and whistles? Threre is a VERY nice Morman temple built here in S.W. Idaho, it cost MILLIONS, WHY, for what pupose is the "Temple"? If you are doing Christ's work then do so without the Temples and money given to elect certain politicians.

But you are right I DO owe an apology to the Christians (likely the vast majority) who try to do good works especially during the holidays(although these people need help the rest of the year too.) But doesn't a thing like the VATICAN keeping holy texts and artifacts BURIED and under LOCK and KEY and being a Quasi-Natiion concern you? The Vatican weilds lots of power both overt and covert and no one outside the inner circle knows why.

SHOULD it bother me that the Vatican, like many collectors of priceless historical objects, keeps them under lock and key? Whether or not I think that, morally and ethically, historical objects should be made accessible to all people as part of our heritage - which I do - I also happen to believe that people have a right to do as they please with their own possessions, and those objects DO belong to the Vatican. Moreover, I am well aware that the Catholic Church is essentially responsible singlehandedly for the preservation of texts and knowledge and learning during the Dark Ages, and do not feel particularly threatened, therefore, by them in the role of caretaker.

Nor do I feel threatened by them having influence in people's lives and thus having political power. Despite the inflamed, hyperbolic claims to the contrary, they have overall been more judicious in their use of that power than any number of secular leaders throughout human history. And given the amount of influence they have over people via their religious beliefs, I think it's rather appropriate for their leadership to be housed separately from the claims of any one nation, much the way Washington DC is separate from any particular state.

As an athiest I am kind of a dreamer. I hope against hope that EVERYONE in the world can be cared for, that we wipe out poverty, that we wipe out disease, that clean safe water is available, that everyone gets a NON-Religious education (they can find religion on their own time besides I doubt many here want children taught in Madrases), that everyone has a political voice and is safe to exercise it. IF this were to happen then Terrorism would be COMPLETELY wiped out, terrorism is a tool of the desperate.

As a Christian, I waste no time hoping for such things, because I know they will never happen. Rather, I spend that time and energy working toward the much smaller, achievable improvements which are actually possible.

I don't know how to quote single paragraphs but your last sentence makes sense. I KNOW my dreams of world peace and prosperity for everyone will never happen but I tried to do my SMALL part the other day. As I came out of Lowes I put my last three bucks I had on me into the Salvation Army (yeah I know a Christian group) and at my car a little old lady was trying to load some things into her car. Most were small and she got them into her trunk just fine but there was a good sized mirror and I knew she would NOT be able to get it into her car. I loaded it into the back of her car all the while amazed that a Lowes employee didn't offer to help her. I hope she had help to get it OUT of her car. It felt good even though it was such a simple thing to do. If we could just HELP EACH OTHER when the opportunity presents itself our world would be SO MUCH BETTER with so little effort. Simple things we can do every day although I have to admit countless missed opportunities I have let go by but I pledge try harder to help where and when I can. I will try harder to SEEK OUT people I can help...........Hard time with panhandlers cause I just don't trust that I am not feeding an addiction.

I do appologise as I recognise the truth in your statement that it is NOT the majority but a VERY vocal minority. I am not offended when I go to my in-laws and join them in prayer as I am sure if I asked to opt-out they would oblige me, but I join out of RESPECT for their beleifs and because they are two of the most wonderful people on Earth. It harms me not.
However I do NOT go to Church services although I know they would like me to be there(especially my mother in law) because I don't like churches and I would HATE to have a freak electrical storm end my time on this Earth with my loved ones looking on. LOL. But as you pointed out I should choose my words more carefully it is just that the minority ESPECIALLY in Idaho are VERY VOCAL and due to the conservative nature of Idaho they tend to weild a power greater than their #s would otherwise warrant.

I think God gave up electrocuting non-believers some time back. :eusa_angel:

Personally I think any Christian who would PUSH his/her beliefs on a non-believer is probably as misguided as the non-believer. I can't imagine that anybody has ever become a believer by being told he or she is going to hell, and I fear that there are many who distance themselves from God/Jesus because of the unpleasant, unkind, impolite, or angry and judgmental way that God was introduced to them.

So I would respect that you as a non-believer would be participating in a religious event purely out of deference to those he cared about. I have non-religious friends who come to Christian Christmas concerts or children's programs because they appreciate and enjoy the music and imagery much as I would enjoy the Nutcracker at the ballet or other great quasi pagan or non-religious imagery for the great music and beauty of it. I think children are no more harmed by singing secular carols and the mythical stories of Christmas than are non-Christian children harmed by exposure to the great works of Handel, Bach, Mendelsohn, Mozart or the Christian carols that have become entrenched in American history, tradition and lore.

Before the Atheists demanded that all Christian reference be removed from school Christmas programs, my sister taught music in the public schools and had grand award winning choirs who loved doing Handel's "Messiah" along with "Let it Snow" and "Frosty the Snowman". When she became aware that there were some Jewish students in the choir, she added some Hannukah songs that the Christian kids much enjoyed learning and singing.

What a more pleasant, less ugly world it was before these things became so polarized and hateful demands were inserted into it. Christmas has been part of the American tradition and heritage from the beginning, and I highly resent those who would presume to deny all the pure enjoyment of celebrating it whether they are Christian or not.

But somehow I think you might even agree with most of this. So I will wish you a Merry Christmas and blessed Holiday Season however you choose to celebrate it.

No doubt churches and those who attend them do MASSIVE works of good for people around the world. My in-laws did Habitat for Humanity and helped give someone a HOME it doesn't get much better than that However I feel (and hey it's just my feeling) that when Churches use funds for POLITICAL purposes and the HOARDING that many churches do with MILLIONS like TV evangelists and Mega churches they should no longer be eligable for tax free status as they have now begun to produce a PROFIT. Do you remember Tammy Fay tearfully saying "It's JESUS' ministry" and take ANY of the 800 Club or other TV programs seriously enough to SEND MONEY knowing how these "Preachers" live!!!??? I thought the life of a preacher was supposed to be HUMBLE, why do some many Christians support this kind of lifestyle when people are homeless/can't feed themselves. As an athiest I just find it VERY sad that that type of money could go to the needy. I feel the same way about the Churches themselves.......Would you be able to worship just as well in a mini-mall corner shop as in a MULTI-MILLION $ church with all the bells and whistles? Threre is a VERY nice Morman temple built here in S.W. Idaho, it cost MILLIONS, WHY, for what pupose is the "Temple"? If you are doing Christ's work then do so without the Temples and money given to elect certain politicians.

But you are right I DO owe an apology to the Christians (likely the vast majority) who try to do good works especially during the holidays(although these people need help the rest of the year too.) But doesn't a thing like the VATICAN keeping holy texts and artifacts BURIED and under LOCK and KEY and being a Quasi-Natiion concern you? The Vatican weilds lots of power both overt and covert and no one outside the inner circle knows why.

SHOULD it bother me that the Vatican, like many collectors of priceless historical objects, keeps them under lock and key? Whether or not I think that, morally and ethically, historical objects should be made accessible to all people as part of our heritage - which I do - I also happen to believe that people have a right to do as they please with their own possessions, and those objects DO belong to the Vatican. Moreover, I am well aware that the Catholic Church is essentially responsible singlehandedly for the preservation of texts and knowledge and learning during the Dark Ages, and do not feel particularly threatened, therefore, by them in the role of caretaker.

Nor do I feel threatened by them having influence in people's lives and thus having political power. Despite the inflamed, hyperbolic claims to the contrary, they have overall been more judicious in their use of that power than any number of secular leaders throughout human history. And given the amount of influence they have over people via their religious beliefs, I think it's rather appropriate for their leadership to be housed separately from the claims of any one nation, much the way Washington DC is separate from any particular state.

As an athiest I am kind of a dreamer. I hope against hope that EVERYONE in the world can be cared for, that we wipe out poverty, that we wipe out disease, that clean safe water is available, that everyone gets a NON-Religious education (they can find religion on their own time besides I doubt many here want children taught in Madrases), that everyone has a political voice and is safe to exercise it. IF this were to happen then Terrorism would be COMPLETELY wiped out, terrorism is a tool of the desperate.

As a Christian, I waste no time hoping for such things, because I know they will never happen. Rather, I spend that time and energy working toward the much smaller, achievable improvements which are actually possible.

I don't know how to quote single paragraphs but your last sentence makes sense. I KNOW my dreams of world peace and prosperity for everyone will never happen but I tried to do my SMALL part the other day. As I came out of Lowes I put my last three bucks I had on me into the Salvation Army (yeah I know a Christian group) and at my car a little old lady was trying to load some things into her car. Most were small and she got them into her trunk just fine but there was a good sized mirror and I knew she would NOT be able to get it into her car. I loaded it into the back of her car all the while amazed that a Lowes employee didn't offer to help her. I hope she had help to get it OUT of her car. It felt good even though it was such a simple thing to do. If we could just HELP EACH OTHER when the opportunity presents itself our world would be SO MUCH BETTER with so little effort. Simple things we can do every day although I have to admit countless missed opportunities I have let go by but I pledge try harder to help where and when I can. I will try harder to SEEK OUT people I can help...........Hard time with panhandlers cause I just don't trust that I am not feeding an addiction.

You are: the addiction to having someone else take care of you, rather than putting out the effort to take care of yourself.

When I give to charities, I seek out the ones that either help those who cannot help themselves (animals, sick children, medical research) or that specialize in not just giving money to the needy, but in helping the needy learn the skills to eventually take care of themselves.

By the way, shameless plug: I discovered a charity the other day about which I am very interested in learning more. It's called Heifer International, and it puts its money into buying cows for third world villages and teaching them farming and cow breeding and care techniques so that they can become self-sufficient and self-feeding. Check it out.

you have faith in what?

I have FAITH that GOOD has a universal advantage over Evil not a large advantage but just a tendency for good to overcome (read into that what you will), I have FAITH when confronted with a moral decision that MOST people will choose the right path, and I have FAITH that AMERICANS can accomplish ANYTHING if we put our united effort into it, see moon landing. Kennedy CHALLENGED us to land on the moon by the end of the decade and WE DID IT! WHY? Because it was a challenge.

You are: the addiction to having someone else take care of you, rather than putting out the effort to take care of yourself.

When I give to charities, I seek out the ones that either help those who cannot help themselves (animals, sick children, medical research) or that specialize in not just giving money to the needy, but in helping the needy learn the skills to eventually take care of themselves.

By the way, shameless plug: I discovered a charity the other day about which I am very interested in learning more. It's called Heifer International, and it puts its money into buying cows for third world villages and teaching them farming and cow breeding and care techniques so that they can become self-sufficient and self-feeding. Check it out.

VERY cool Idea. There is one group that gives "Micro-loans" to people in third world countries who for a $100 investment can start small businesses and provide jobs and money for the community.

As far as the ancient books and documents that were burnt I hink UNTOLD knowledge was lost and for no other reason than it did not fit in with there beleifs. We can NEVER know what was lost. Not just the Library at Alexandria but untold other examples of books and documents burned.......It litterally pains me to think about what humanity LOST during those dark times.

Once again I do appologise for claiming that MOST Christians try to force their beleifs that was entirely without merit and a provocative statement.

When someone says they will pray for me I am not insulted but when someone wants to try to convert me after I tell them I am not interested I become a bit annoyed. If I want to find God I can find a Church or my in-laws would be happy to help me know the word and will of God I just don't beleive in a God or Gods not just Christian but ANY of them........I would most likely be Pagan if I HAD to choose. I just get REALLY upset when people try to get the BIBLE in PUBLIC schools, probably the same who are trying to get books BANNED from school libraries.

The Vatican still largely exists in the 14th century. They REALLY need to get a little less draconian in their views if they want to keep and attract more followers.

How do you know they "exist in the 14th century"? Have you even been to Vatican City? And how are we defining "exists in the 14th century", anyway? Not agreeing with your worldview and morals?

Religion isn't like the fashion industry, Cold, where you update the style and the advertising every four months to suit the latest fad. One doesn't tailor one's basic beliefs according to the way they're wearing morals this season.

Ohh yes many sects of Christianity are very much like the fashion industry.

Heck some pentecostal preachers even preach about sex from the pulpit.
And many began preaching that wealth was good about 30 years ago.
Many changes with the youth, womens roles, etc. Heck even Gay preachers!

Ohh yes religion is very much like the fashion industry. They must keep their sales up in changing times and societies.

We could have used a bit of the inquisition on Cheney though.
Too bad that went out of fashion.

Once again I do appologise for claiming that MOST Christians try to force their beleifs that was entirely without merit and a provocative statement.

When someone says they will pray for me I am not insulted but when someone wants to try to convert me after I tell them I am not interested I become a bit annoyed. If I want to find God I can find a Church or my in-laws would be happy to help me know the word and will of God I just don't beleive in a God or Gods not just Christian but ANY of them........I would most likely be Pagan if I HAD to choose. I just get REALLY upset when people try to get the BIBLE in PUBLIC schools, probably the same who are trying to get books BANNED from school libraries.

I have appreciated the interchange actually, and it is really pleasant to debate somebody who is actually trying to be reasonable. Apology accepted with acknowledgment that we sometimes all exaggerate for effect in an enthusiastic debate, and too often use body language and nuances in our writing that is intended to modify our words but, alas, is not apparent to our reader.

I am just as annoyed as you when others try to 'convert me' after I have explained that I do not wish to convert. However, a Bible on the public school shelves is not something to be feared or banned any more than a copy of the Quran, Marx's Communist Manifesto, and Hitler's Mein Kampf. Access to all religious literature that has profoundly factored into human history and that has shaped entire cultures belongs in the public school as much as any literature does.

No school personnel should be promoting or speaking against any religion, including Atheism, in the public schools. But to eliminate all religious references from all curriculum is not only a lie given the strong role that religion has played in history and culture, but there is no way to give the kids any kind of well rounded education without including that in the mix. And to deny school kids ability to sing great religious Christmas music such as Handel's "Messiah" is to foster a cultural and historical void that makes no sense to me.

So it will depend on what you mean by "getting the Bible into public schools". If you mean replacing the study of Darwin's theory with creationism, I would agree. If you mean allowing the teacher to dismiss Intelligent Design as one of the great theories of how all this has transpired, I would disagree. I.D. can't be taught as science, of course, but it should be acknowledged.

But that's just me.

Forum List

Back