atheist and christmas

Actually, the Christians are hypocrites. They're celebrating the Feast of the Son of Isis, the Winter Solstice, Saturnalia,and Yule. All of which came before Jesus was supposedly born on the 25th of December. Just another in a long line of tradition where the Church usurps "pagan" holidays and make them their own.

Actually, the Christians are hypocrites. They're celebrating the Feast of the Son of Isis, the Winter Solstice, Saturnalia,and Yule. All of which came before Jesus was supposedly born on the 25th of December. Just another in a long line of tradition where the Church usurps "pagan" holidays and make them their own.

Indeed

Just a note here, it's not really hard to celebrate Christmas without adding in the Christian elements. Put up a tree, exchange gifts, have a big dinner, see family, maybe sing some Christmas carols (not all mention God or Jesus), and wala there's Christmas for non-Christians.

Christmas is a Christian feast day or festival or celebration or high holy day (depending on the tradition represented) regardless of how much the Atheists and anti-religious types wish to pretend that it is just a copycat pagan festival. It was established by Christians who had long abandoned the pagan festivals or had never observed them. The fact that it parallels some ancient pagan festivals or has similarities with other observances is immaterial. With hundreds of billions of people having lived on Planet Earth, it would be impossible to find much of anything that didn't share some similarities with something else.

Halloween has aspects of both pagan and Christian traditions but the term "Halloween" is decidedly Christian. Like Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and some other special dates with Christian roots, it is no longer celebrated by most as a religious holiday. Thanksgiving is celebrated as a religious holiday by some, probably not as a religious holiday by most. And Christmas is also observed by Christians and non Christians alike, some as a religious holiday, and some not. The most popular Christian traditions now observe Christmas Eve as a special worship service but not necessarily Christmas Day unless it happens to fall on a Sunday.

There is long tradition of people enjoying the traditions and costumes and imaginary and lore and symbols of other traditions and Christmas is no exception.

For the life of me, I still do not understand how people could be so mean-spirited as to wish there be no celebration of Christmas and wanting to make it into something entirely different than what it is.

Last edited:
Christmas at this point as about as much to do with religion as saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes does.

Christmas at this point as about as much to do with religion as saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes does.

Sadly that does appear to be the case in many places but not all. However, if we go with your assessment here as the standard these days, please explain then why the word "Christmas" and/or the Christian imagery (angels, stars, wisemen, nativity scenes, etc.) are so offensive and/or threatening to those who demand that they be kept out of sight or that they not be apparent in public?

Last edited:

Sadly that does appear to be the case in many places but not all. However, if we go with your assessment here as the standard these days, please explain then why the word "Christmas" and/or the Christian imagery (angels, stars, wisemen, nativity scenes, etc.) are so offensive and/or threatening to those who demand that they be kept out of sight or that they not be apparent in public?

Are you referring to the efforts to not let local governments set up such scenes? If you are those are annoying because it's a government endorsing a religion which should not be done. No one's going to be aggravated if you put up a nativity scene in your front yard.

thats why you called comics cause you are funny.

Are you referring to the efforts to not let local governments set up such scenes? If you are those are annoying because it's a government endorsing a religion which should not be done. No one's going to be aggravated if you put up a nativity scene in your front yard.

Just wait that times coming.

Look it up.

...Three more posts and I'll provide a link to the origins of Christmas...:eusa_whistle:

Look it up.

...Three more posts and I'll provide a link to the origins of Christmas...:eusa_whistle:

your refering to jehovah witness, not christians and babylonian weren't religious anyway.

That sums it pretty well.

I would agree that taxpayer money should not be spent for such purposes ever. But no I am not speaking of that. I am speaking to those who would deny carolers the right to sing traditional Christmas carols in the town square because that is public property. I speak of those who would demand the government remove all Christmas imagery, artwork, etc. DONATED to help decorate the city or city hall or the county courthouse or whatever. I speak of those who would deny the townspeople the right to put up the creche on the courthouse lawn--one privately built with private funds--that had been there for decades.

How is allowing the people to use their own commonly owned property for such purposes endorsing any religion? Especially if all people of other religions are afforded the same privilege to acknowledge their traditional customs and heritage?

I would agree that taxpayer money should not be spent for such purposes ever. But no I am not speaking of that. I am speaking to those who would deny carolers the right to sing traditional Christmas carols in the town square because that is public property. I speak of those who would demand the government remove all Christmas imagery, artwork, etc. DONATED to help decorate the city or city hall or the county courthouse or whatever. I speak of those who would deny the townspeople the right to put up the creche on the courthouse lawn--one privately built with private funds--that had been there for decades.

How is allowing the people to use their own commonly owned property for such purposes endorsing any religion? Especially if all people of other religions are afforded the same privilege to acknowledge their traditional customs and heritage?

...I don't know, as long as any religion is free to set up their privately owned stuff there I see no problem with it.

So tell me when did it become o.k to whore out your religion for political power and money. It seems to me there would be some kind of tenent against using the word of GOD to gain power and filthy riches. If there REALLY is a God he would not care to gather wealth and control he would want to ENLIGHTEN his followers to do good works in His name. INSTEAD he gets the Sistine Chappel and the Crusades. He gets a monument built to HIM while people literally STARVED TO DEATH, HAD NO HOUSING, and DIED OF DISEASE!!! You thing maybe the GOD you pray to and tithe to is nothing more than a sick HOAX to enrich and empower a certain group of people?

So tell me when did it become o.k to whore out your religion for political power and money. It seems to me there would be some kind of tenent against using the word of GOD to gain power and filthy riches. If there REALLY is a God he would not care to gather wealth and control he would want to ENLIGHTEN his followers to do good works in His name. INSTEAD he gets the Sistine Chappel and the Crusades. He gets a monument built to HIM while people literally STARVED TO DEATH, HAD NO HOUSING, and DIED OF DISEASE!!! You thing maybe the GOD you pray to and tithe to is nothing more than a sick HOAX to enrich and empower a certain group of people?

I do not think the "Christians" whored out their holiday. Instead, gift giving may have been a widespread practice long before Jesus Walked the Earth.

The "whores" of Christmas are therefore the merchants that are trying to end the year on a positive economic note. This is the time of year that make or break the "unnecessity" consumer economy. Thus the Ho HO HOing of this religious holiday is by sales people who may or may not be christians.

Attacking the Christians because the holiday is used by capitalists to generate profits is way out of line. You should apologize to them because it is not the believers fault that this has occured. The Christian intentions are noble.

Forum List

Back