Are You Bored In Your Marriage....?

As I was saying...

Hey buddy, if you want to spend your life in a miserable relationship, that's on you. Lol.

If you want to spend your life in the vain pursuit of constant, uninterrupted, giddy stoner bliss with no hint of any discomfort, frustration, or discord, that's your self-defeating delusion. Adults know life doesn't work like that, but by all means flip over the board and run off whining and expect a different outcome each time.

Who said that? I've seen miserable relationships before. .....

And I've seen adults who aren't terrified by challenge, commitment, or devotion. I've seen people who aren't petulant, self-indulgent children devoid of character.

As I was saying...

Hey buddy, if you want to spend your life in a miserable relationship, that's on you. Lol.

If you want to spend your life in the vain pursuit of constant, uninterrupted, giddy stoner bliss with no hint of any discomfort, frustration, or discord, that's your self-defeating delusion. Adults know life doesn't work like that, but by all means flip over the board and run off whining and expect a different outcome each time.

And I've seen adults who aren't terrified by challenge, commitment, or devotion. I've seen people who aren't petulant, self-indulgent children devoid of character.

Well, whatever. I'm sure people stuck in such relationships would completely disagree. :lol:

... that is why people are so unhappy and miserable with their marriages. They married a person that they didn't really know ......

No it's not. It's because today's adults were raised to think and act like self-centered children who flip the chess board and run away at the first sign of frustration or discomfort.

As I was saying...

They're not terrified. They just don't want the HASSLE of challenge, commitment or devotion. Too much work.
People are getting lazier and lazier by the minute... in all areas (not just marriage)

We are told we should be happy in life and not to settle, then, once there is a chink in the armor, or, they are no longer giving us the warm fuzzies, assume it's dead and over then move on.....

... or is it as exciting as the day you first met?
... or is it just different?

Do you think people confuse infatuation with love, get married, and when (IF!) the infatuation wears off they think they are no longer in love?

Never been married myself and no interest in that ever changing. My brother and his wife are going strong it seems. He works out of state all th etime so is only home for holidays and vacations. So I think there's a lot of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' in play there. I joke he doesn't really work for an oil services company but is a spy. :)

I would want to know everything about the person I was marrying. The only way to do that is to live with that person and get to know all of their annoying quirks and habits and if you are compatible, not only sexually but in other ways as well. IMO, that is why people are so unhappy and miserable with their marriages. They married a person that they didn't really know and now they're stuck with it FOREVER.
In order to get to know someone that well, you have to invest so much in the relationship you basically are already married. As long as you maintain the idea in the back of your head that you can just walk away if it gets difficult, you'll never form that ultimate bond.

Not if you care for the person. Marriage is just a piece of paper. Besides, why wouldn't you just want to be able to walk away from a bad relationship? You want to be stuck in one?
That depends how you define a "bad" relationship. Abuse or infidelity certainly is a reason to walk away, while getting irritated because he/she leaves socks on the floor is not. As for marriage only being a piece of paper, it is only to those who refuse to fully commit. Like I said, as long as you retain the option of walking away when things get a little rough, you'll never get the ultimate relationship.

I would want to know everything about the person I was marrying. The only way to do that is to live with that person and get to know all of their annoying quirks and habits and if you are compatible, not only sexually but in other ways as well. IMO, that is why people are so unhappy and miserable with their marriages. They married a person that they didn't really know and now they're stuck with it FOREVER.
In order to get to know someone that well, you have to invest so much in the relationship you basically are already married. As long as you maintain the idea in the back of your head that you can just walk away if it gets difficult, you'll never form that ultimate bond.

Not if you care for the person. Marriage is just a piece of paper. Besides, why wouldn't you just want to be able to walk away from a bad relationship? You want to be stuck in one?
That depends how you define a "bad" relationship. Abuse or infidelity certainly is a reason to walk away, while getting irritated because he/she leaves socks on the floor is not. As for marriage only being a piece of paper, it is only to those who refuse to fully commit. Like I said, as long as you retain the option of walking away when things get a little rough, you'll never get the ultimate relationship.

Well, no duh! Lol. Some people have some serious problems with their relationship. I still think that your feelings for the person should override any piece of paper, and really that's all a marriage certificate is.

... or is it as exciting as the day you first met?
... or is it just different?

Do you think people confuse infatuation with love, get married, and when (IF!) the infatuation wears off they think they are no longer in love?

Mine is fantastic. My wife is still beautiful at 50, and we are still on our honeymoon. We will be the old couple in the park, holding hands. No doubt about it.

Very well said.

People have ask both of us what our secret is. My wife has several theories; The Imago Theory is her main one, and then she gives credit to the book "The 5 Love Languages.

Personally I think we just both won the love lottery. Everything she says and does makes me love her more. She literally has nothing about her that bothers me at all. I can't speak for her but it must be similar because there doesn't exist a more living wife anywhere. God's honest truth we have never fought. We have disagreed, and have been forced sometimes to hash it out but it's never a fight in any true sense of the word.

I tell people that I cannot give them advice, I'm only qualified to give advice about how to be married to my wife, not theirs. Which come to think of it, applies to everyone.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back