Any truth in this??

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Said1, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    This is a reply to me that was posted on the messageboard for one of my classes (which had nothing to do with my point btw. :D ). Just out of curiosity, does any of it sound familiar?

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I am glad that my PC only comes with audio and video. If it had a sense of smell the reek would drive me away.

The author asserts that in both schools the ROTC "owns" sections. The really sad thing is that in many schools ROTC is so low on the social order it may as well stand for Rejects Of The County.

3. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I graduated HS in 1962..went on to college...1963... then into the Army 1964..
    Dropped outta college to serve..went to OCS 1966 after serving as a enlisted Buck Sgt E-5...wished they had ROTC when I was in HS...don't get it...what is the problem offering HS kids the opportunity ? The VN war may not have been popular...however I for one am proud to say I served!

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Around here, one seldom hears of ROTC programs in the schools. The only exception seems to be the higher performing high schools in Chicago. There were two charter schools-grammar schools opened in the past few years, that were like 'military schools' that filled up nearly immediately with waiting list. Those too were in the city.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I learned so much in JROTC. The head of the program was an Sergeant Major with WWll experience, his assistant was a Sergeant First class with Vietnam experience, and the head of the program system wide was a Lieutenant Coronal with the same (I had him swear me in when I enlisted). Not only did I learn much about life from these people, I was able to enter the service as a PFC (E-3) instead of a PVT (E-1). That made a difference, I was made a squad leader in basic training because of it, which meant I had to lead. I’d recommend JROTC to any young HS kid even for just one year.

My view is…I recruited them.

To answer your "?" said1..I don't know what it's like now but from what I see
    at the schools I'd say the poster is full of BS.. We used to have 200 guys on the field during JROTC period, now I see 20 or 30 max.

PS..It sounds like this guy is mixing JROTC with ROTC..JROTC is HS, ROTC is college. No one is paid in HS to take JROTC..Nor in College, unless their receiving a scholarship.

6. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    now i'm confused..were you not a chopper pilot in VN?...if ya were then you went on to Warrant Officer flight school...or OCS then flight school...maybe you were just referring to post OCS or Warrant school...when did ya go to Nam? I got out in 1968 just before the TeT offensive...so ya must have been there for this one...kudos!

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I was a Warrant Officer/ Pilot Arch, after basic I went to Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT), a combined nine month OCS and Flight school.

I never went to VN though, just 4 months out of school is when we evacuated Saigon.

I'm a VN "ERA" vet..

8. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

just the luck of the draw...ya are still a VN vet in my books...I wanted Warrant Ofcr flight school but they sent me to OCS Engineering...said I could go to flight shhool after grad...they lied...so I resigned..went back to sgt E-5
    Tank Commander...hoo rah!

9. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    From what I've heard and read, military recruiters, JROTC cadets (High School) and ROTC cadets (College) are all "persona non grata" on academic campuses across the country, generally speaking.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

with this I have convinced my GD to go to one of the military acadamies upon grad from HS...I'm sure she will be accepted persona ala gratitude...lol