Any Christians against universal health care?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by 777, Sep 27, 2007.

1. 777

777 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Found ths question in another board posted by someone else and it made me wonder the question of "Any Christians against universal health care?"

The person goes on to say that as a Christian (and not a religious right Christian btw, a very tolerant Catholic), he was wondering if there are any Christians who are against Universal Health care, and the reasoning behind. Simply, as a Christian, he can't understand not being for UHC.

I personally cannot see how being a true Christian and not wanting everyone to have access to healtcare are imcompatible concepts in light of what Jesus/religion in general teaches about being caring, giving to others, having compassion and so forth ...

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Basically an intellectually dishonest argument for the purpose of attacking Christianity and attempting to push an agenda appealing to the emotions of others.

If you don't want my religion in gov't. don't appeal to it to support your political agenda.

Likewise, I have to wonder how many of secular-progressive Dawinists are FOR UHC, when obviously, it violates the basic tenet of natural selection/survival of the fittest ....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Gunny, keep your dishonesty in that 1/2 pint under your coat. OK?

The human species have come very far from the days of the cavemen. Are you just trying to bully someone? No surprise, I think it was part of your life's training.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    There's a point to your response? Well, other than being an attempt at dismissiveness to hide the deflection?

This thread isn't about me. I made a valid point. Address it or move on.

5. Darwin

Darwin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A society with Universal Health Care, is more fit to survive than a society where people do not look after eachother. So, therefore it would certainly be against Darwinism, or atleast against the development of the human race, not to have Universal Health Care.

The term fit means best suited for survival. A society that can see other ways than the use of brute force alone, but also applies some intelligence and ability to reason about what is best, is imo more "fit" for survival than a dog eat dog society with very little morals.

6. Ruby

Ruby Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32

You do seem to be making a very false analogy. Survival of the fittest is how evolution occurs...thats not a sentient being making a decision.

We are a social species and for OUR survival we would want all in our species to thrive and to become stronger and we do this with sentient mind. It means that instead of wanting to kill off the weakest, we would seek ways to make them stronger and therefore our species as a whole stronger.

You seem to want to pretend that recognzing the process of evolution and the process of natural selection would mean we want to take that over into a calculated eugenics program or not try to strive for more as a species and simply allow our sick to suffer and die. Part of evolution and the natural selection has left us with is a brain that can actually interferre and CREATE situations and remedies to strengthen the weak.

7. Darwin

Darwin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One would suspect that in fact it is the Christians who would like to see sick and weak people die, as this will either send them to Hell if they have not been behaving, and this is not a bad thing, or to Heaven if they have been good, which also must be a good thing, right?

I am quite sure that people who do not believe in an afterlife, value life a lot more than the conservative-religious types.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Actually if one reads the Bible they will discover that when we die we do not "go" anywhere. Your dead and that is it until Jesus rules and God then Judges all those living and dead determining where they end up, permanently dead, living on earth with Jesus or one of the 144,000 that go to heaven.

9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah... I certainly have not wasted my life focusing on one of the worlds many silly religions so I would not be surprised if I am wrong about the specific details.

I thought it was Jehovas Witnesses who believed in the whole 144,000 deal though? All Christians believe in the 144,000 go to heaven deal, then?

If you don't go anywhere after you die, how does the whole decomposing thing work? Aren't people kind of screwed once their body is completely disintegrated and reused as building material for plants and such?

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I’m back. This is just too entertaining. So I changed my mind and returned – or I lied – so sue me. Anyway, though I’m not a Christian, I do not see in the gospels where Jesus called on government to force people to pay for other people’s health care. While Jesus supposedly spoke much about ministering to the sick and helping the ill, I don’t see where he advocated force.

Following his example, there are many Christian charities and services that use donations to help the ill. A great charity that I helped raise money for is St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. http://www.stjude.org/about . Also see http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/ChristianCharities.htm