Zone1 Christians are commanded to hate evil

Can I still hate stupid people too?

I realize bed wetters will still hate themselves, but I hate them for my own increased standard of living.

That's the problem with believers. They are conditioned to cram everything in a box. Good vs Evil. Everything is either black or white. Most of life happens in shades of gray
Perhaps more accurate to say that believers do not see in shades of black-white-grey, but in shades of learning. Evil seems a shade many atheists don't comprehend as part of the learning process.

Today's Christians are much more moderate and tolerant.
Tolerant of what? We are so tolerant that people can mug and rob people, be arrested, processed, and back on the street in a matter of a few hours. We are so tolerant that we don't lift a hand to stop stealing and shoplifting. So tolerant, that we don't blink an eye at child trafficking and drugs coming across our borders. All these actions involve victims, but we are so tolerant of the bad behavior, our attitude towards the victims is, "Too bad, suck it up."

Maybe but black or white is better than grey! Grey is uncertainty, therefore grey is evil, and means you will compromise your morals, and principles, if conditions are right.
For the record that is not a problem with believers, it's an attribute
It ain't better or worse, it's different. So you don't like uncertainty, you want all the big questions answered. That's understandable but plugging all the holes in our knowledge with religion isn't the answer.

Another problem is that love and mercy constantly want to temper justice. Get people to feel sorry for someone and presto, no bail, no jail.

Placing mercy over justice tips things upside down. Justice first. Mercy is how to treat criminals after they have paid for their crimes and done their time.
But is that how God does it, with Mercy? Is mercy, mercy, without making a person pay for it first?

Isn't mercy what we sinners are given, through the death and forgiveness of Jesus Christ? I suppose it was justification first?.... because He suffered and died for our sins, thus justification through Him, who died before us for all?

Yet Jesus gave mercy to the adulteress woman being stoned, forgave her sins and simply asked her after the forgiveness of sin was given by Him,.... to go and sin no more? Was He weak kneed and his love and mercy getting in the way of justice for her crime, which called for the penalty of death?

Yet Jesus gave mercy to the adulteress woman being stoned, forgave her sins and simply asked her after the forgiveness of sin was given by Him,.... to go and sin no more?

jesus told her ... no sin had occurred - and staying sinless is the way to acquire judgement for remission to the heavens.

Christians are taught time and again in the Bible to hate evil and that hating evil is the fear of the Lord and beginning of wisdom.

However, as we see Christians continually being told to accept and be tolerant of what the Bible declares as evil, we see this less and less.

From my vantage point, there are two types of Christians who openly abhor evil. There is the Church Lady approach, bashing people for sinning in order to make themselves feel superior, but in no way caring for that person. I don't advocate that. Or we take the Jesus approach, which I do advocate.

Jesus was confronted with the woman caught in adultery. By Mosaic law, she was to be stoned. So, the religious leaders of his day came to him and forced him to take a stand on what should be done to her. He then told them, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone". They then all walked away, convicted of their own sins.

This is pretty much what most people know about the story. However, Jesus did not stop there. He was not interested in just sparing her life for that small moment, he wanted to set her free. He then cast out demons from the woman, and then told her, "Go, and sin no more." That was a warning so that worst things did not befall her.

Today's Christian appears to only want to spare the woman's life and just accept her as is, no matter how as is..............is, but then not follow up with the possible other two needed interventions. And God forbid a Christian should judge a sin to be a sin!!

I think many Christians are Ok with that same woman continuing as she did in adultery as being none of their business or maybe saying that adultery is not really a sin or maybe not that big of a sin since everyone sins. After all, they know the commandment not to be judgmental after all, but that is clearly a misinterpretation of scripture since that was not the approach of Jesus who clearly saw adultery as wrong.

I started another thread on a similar thought. We have a Pope that is essentially turning a blind eye to sin, which keeps a person in captivity that eventually leads to death, all in the name of inclusiveness. Obviously, such "Christians" do not hate sin, and/or have no concern for those held in captivity to such sins that will lead to their own demise as well as the subsequent demise of society.

FYI, The verse in the Bible in John, says nothing about casting out demons in the adulterer story????

There is mercy, then forgiveness, then a command of sorts, of Go, sin no more.... Didn't read any demon casting, out of her.

I've always loved that Scripture....so many things to contemplate with all of Christ's words and actions....

I always felt, how could this woman not love Jesus, forever and a day....after He saved her life which was destined to be stoned to death, for a sin she knew she was guilty of committing likely a lot more times than just once, and how could she not be compelled to follow this man's command, to sin no more....out of her gratefulness for His undeserved, life giving mercy that He had shown to her?

---------

Hate the sin (evil), love the sinner....

1 Thessalonians 5:22, the apostle Paul encourages believers to “reject every kind of evil.” We hate evil because it is the enemy of all that is good.

It’s important to differentiate between hating or rejecting evil behavior and hating people. Believers should never reject or hate sinful people, only their immoral or evil behavior.

Jesus teaches us to love our enemies and do good to those who mistreat us (Luke 6:27–36). Paul urges, “Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good” (Romans 12:21, NLT).

jesus told her ... no sin had occurred - and staying sinless is the way to acquire judgement for remission to the heavens.
He didn't tell her that in the Scripture I just, reread??? Is this lesson of scripture in more than one gospel, and some gospels have more info?

But is that how God does it, with Mercy? Is mercy, mercy, without making a person pay for it first?

Isn't mercy what we sinners are given, through the death and forgiveness of Jesus Christ? I suppose it was justification first?.... because He suffered and died for our sins, thus justification through Him, who died before us for all?

Yet Jesus gave mercy to the adulteress woman being stoned, forgave her sins and simply asked her after the forgiveness of sin was given by Him,.... to go and sin no more? Was He weak kneed and his love and mercy getting in the way of justice for her crime, which called for the penalty of death?
Did you observe the consequences the woman suffered due to her actions? Also...where was her partner in adultery? Next, where were the judges?

Did you observe the consequences the woman suffered due to her actions? Also...where was her partner in adultery? Next, where were the judges?
-No?
-In the crowd of men who left, I supposed?
-No one there worthy of being Judge, other than Christ...

Is this leading to an answer to my first question asked in my post??? :dunno:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back