And I'm tired of gangsta hoodie wearer!

The thing about dangerous ghettos - is thjat most of the crime is either pre-meditated or criminal on criminal.

I know I'll catch flack for this - but what i mean by stating that is - (usually)....................but *not always*****

if you're passing through and cool with them, they're cool with you. That's my experience anyho0

Yeah, that's mine too. I don't make it a habit to pass through dangerous neighborhoods, but in general you keep driving and be respectful, you won't have a problem.
And duck, when necessary. I drove through the 'hood' of Detroit for four years during grad school. Sometimes I had to duck down in my car to avoid bullets (while stopped at a red light).

My car broke down in Compton once. Now, that was an eventful hour - that felt like a lifetime. LMAO. Thank (insert optional deity here) for guns. :lol:

"I am tired of burying young black boys," said Rep. Frederica Wilson of Florida , who represents the district where Martin lived. "No more racial profiling. I'm tired of fighting when the evidence is so clear."
Martin family to join "Million Hoodie March" - CBS News

So now they want a Million Hoodie March?

Why do you think the hoodie wearer was shot?

Some schools are telling students to leave their hooded sweatshirts in their lockers unless they want to be suspended.

The schools say students wearing hoods can conceal their identities from hallway cameras that might catch them cutting class or breaking into a locker.
'Hoodies' banned at some N.J. schools | NJ.com

Honestly why would someone wear a hoodie on a dark street in 70 degree weather other then hiding identity!

AND it isn't a BLACK issue! It is a fact!
More blacks wearing hoodies are more involved in criminal activity then blacks NOT wearing hoodies!

It's a culture issue.

The thing about dangerous ghettos - is thjat most of the crime is either pre-meditated or criminal on criminal.

I know I'll catch flack for this - but what i mean by stating that is - (usually)....................but *not always*****

if you're passing through and cool with them, they're cool with you. That's my experience anyho0

For the most part I'd agree, there are some exceptions. The neighborhood I spent part of my childhood in in South L.A. Is one of those. If you turned down the wrong street, and you were from 3 blocks away let alone another city or state, you were getting jacked, shot, stabbed, or beat down. Or all of those.

yea turf-wars are the exception, no doubt.....and a big reason some otherwise good kids have to gang up
It's tradition in those kinds of neighborhoods. I was jumped in at 9. We moved around the time I was 16, so I was a lucky one.

For the most part I'd agree, there are some exceptions. The neighborhood I spent part of my childhood in in South L.A. Is one of those. If you turned down the wrong street, and you were from 3 blocks away let alone another city or state, you were getting jacked, shot, stabbed, or beat down. Or all of those.

yea turf-wars are the exception, no doubt.....and a big reason some otherwise good kids have to gang up
It's tradition in those kinds of neighborhoods. I was jumped in at 9. We moved around the time I was 16, so I was a lucky one.

And schools have "cliches" also. I have seen no suggestion the young man killed was a member of a gang.

Yeah, that's mine too. I don't make it a habit to pass through dangerous neighborhoods, but in general you keep driving and be respectful, you won't have a problem.
And duck, when necessary. I drove through the 'hood' of Detroit for four years during grad school. Sometimes I had to duck down in my car to avoid bullets (while stopped at a red light).

My car broke down in Compton once. Now, that was an eventful hour - that felt like a lifetime. LMAO. Thank (insert optional deity here) for guns. :lol:

Growing up everyone I knew was scared to go to Compton. I went with a group of friends to the swap meet there and almost got killed.

I haven't been to LA in a long time but I heard Compton has calmed down a bit. I grew up in bell haven just outside of Watts.

And schools have "cliches" also. I have seen no suggestion the young man killed was a member of a gang.

I think you mean "cliques", not "cliches". But I'm sure that schools have those too. :razz:

I doubt he was. He didn't look the part in the pictures. He looked like a "preppy" to me.

It is based on a simple concept... that I like to see the person I am dealing with. If you were inside, and we met, and were having a conversation, I would probably ask you to drop the hood. I like to see the person, not the hood. I think it's respectful to others. And....believe it or not... in RL... I'm quite a respectful person. :lol:

Hoods should be removed indoors, as should hats and caps. Didn't an old, now deceased, coach of the Cowboys take his hat off in the stadium. Landry, I THINK.

No!

I believe he did in INDOOR stadiums. (noting that there were not many of those back then)

My cousin in Iowa had a black baby in the 50s.. I had a black business partner in the 70s.. worked for a black boss in the 80s.. and have been in black churches and I a white man worked in a beer gas wine store in a black area.. and so YES you abide by the rules of the street you are on! YOU don't wear a KKK sheet on MLK blvd so why be stupid and wear a hoodie, while holding your pants up and walking in the rain unless you are stupid and the kid was! YOU have seen Darwin's law of selectivity at work!
Most of the blacks I have had associations with KNOW when to cool AND more importantly WHERE to be cool!

AND Yes Zimmerman was the real idiot for NOT thinking but again he'll get his due without this CRAP about "burying black boys" or Million hoodie March"!

I think you mean "cliques", not "cliches". But I'm sure that schools have those too. :razz:

You are correct, NOT cliches, cliques*, my mother used to speak of them. In my area we have GUN CLUB teenagers that wear hunting gear to school to show they are hunters.

*Cliques can be cliches however. :D

I doubt he was. He didn't look the part in the pictures. He looked like a "preppy" to me.
Looks aren't everything. Ted Bundy was hot.

Not saying this kid is Bundy or bad. Not at all.

Blaming the victim? Clothing doesn't justify homicide.
While it may not justify it obviously it can lead to potentially lethal situations.

Wearing a hood when weather conditions call for it is practical. Wearing a hood when there is no practical need for it, especially at night, is cause for suspicion in that it effectively limits recognition and imparts a somewhat sinister and/or intimidating impression. For those very reasons the hoodie has along with the "do-rag" become standard gangsta fashion. Unfortunately a substantial number of teen-age boys, some White but mainly Black, think it's cool to emulate the gangsta ethos and Martin probably was among them.

While it seems clear that Zimmerman was looking (a bit too diligently) for trouble one can't help wondering just how much Martin's hoodie helped him to find it.

I don't know how old you are, but style has changed a bit in recent years. Wearing hoodies is pretty common now, whatever the origin may have been.

Intelligent jock type if there MUST be a "type". Not a thug by any means.

My cousin in Iowa had a black baby in the 50s.. I had a black business partner in the 70s.. worked for a black boss in the 80s.. and have been in black churches and I a white man worked in a beer gas wine store in a black area.. and so YES you abide by the rules of the street you are on! YOU don't wear a KKK sheet on MLK blvd so why be stupid and wear a hoodie, while holding your pants up and walking in the rain unless you are stupid and the kid was! YOU have seen Darwin's law of selectivity at work!
Most of the blacks I have had associations with KNOW when to cool AND more importantly WHERE to be cool!

AND Yes Zimmerman was the real idiot for NOT thinking but again he'll get his due without this CRAP about "burying black boys" or Million hoodie March"!

I agree marches don't do crap for anybody. I'm tired of seeing young black men die as she is. I don't see why that statement bothers you?

Growing up everyone I knew was scared to go to Compton. I went with a group of friends to the swap meet there and almost got killed.

I haven't been to LA in a long time but I heard Compton has calmed down a bit. I grew up in bell haven just outside of Watts.

It seemed like forever for the cavalry to arrive. I promise you that I would have shot any asshole who threatened me.... but what I didn't do.... I didn't get out of my car and chase some kid who looked at me and walked away.

Forum List

Back