Animal friendships

The great apes can hardly be called "animals.," theyre closer to human, but better than most

Yep. This could be a good topic for a thread of its own, but when you hear about how unjustly even the most intelligent animals (like apes) are treated* ... it makes me think that the animal rights activists are correct in wanting personhood to be granted to certain obviously sentient animals. I know that's controversial and many here probably think that's crazy, but as you said, they really are closer to human, yet in most cases they have zero legal protection.

* for example, Tommy's story. This was written by my friend Kathy:

Last edited:
Yep. This could be a good topic for a thread of its own, but when you hear about how unjustly even the most intelligent animals (like apes) are treated* ... it makes me think that the animal rights activists are correct in wanting personhood to be granted to certain obviously sentient animals. I know that's controversial and many here probably think that's crazy, but as you said, they really are closer to human, yet in most cases they have zero legal protection.

* for example, Tommy's story. This was written by my friend Kathy:

Animals DO have basic rights, just as we have rights. The problem is HUMANS don't respect those rights just as humans don't respect the rights of certain other human beings (crime, slavery, etc).

Humans can't grant rights (God has done that). We can only recognize and honor them.

Last edited:
Animals DO have basic rights, just as we have rights. The problem is HUMANS don't respect those rights just as humans don't respect the rights of certain other human beings (crime, slavery, etc).

Humans can't grant rights (God has done that). We can only recognize and honor them.

Of course animals have basic rights that come from God. I was talking about legal personhood. That's what I was referring to when I said that the idea is controversial and maybe crazy-sounding to some... to legally apply personhood to certain animals. But hey, like you said, they're almost as smart as some people, and definitely better "people" than many people, lol. :dunno:

Here's a definition:
rationality, consciousness, the attitude or stance taken by society, capacity for reciprocity, capability for verbal communication, and a self-consciousness

Great Apes seem to hav these qualities.
I've never been a "bird person," but thru someone I know who is, I've seen how "human" even birds can be. They play, joke, bond with good people, and display self awareness. This is why I've slowly given up killing and eating any living creature for food or "taste." I've learned there really are few differences

They still remember Dad

Words cannot express how much I love elephants. :) Thanks for sharing that.

It reminds of that really cool story about a man who had worked with elephants for many years, and he died.... and for some inexplicable reason, somehow the elephants knew that he had died... and they traveled a long way to his house to pay their respects, in a funeral-like procession. IIRC they stayed there for a few days and then left.

Words cannot express how much I love elephants. :) Thanks for sharing that.

It reminds of that really cool story about a man who had worked with elephants for many years, and he died.... and for some inexplicable reason, somehow the elephants knew that he had died... and they traveled a long way to his house to pay their respects, in a funeral-like procession. IIRC they stayed there for a few days and then left.
Only occasionally do we pay enough attention to the "beasts" to realize they experience every emotion we do

I thought this was a tree branch! I can't believe how impatient people can be

Interesting how he was putting his arm up like that. It always restores my faith in humanity to see a kind-hearted person rescue a sloth or another animal from being stuck in the middle of the street, probably paralyzed with fear. Sloths are precious. :)

Interesting how he was putting his arm up like that. It always restores my faith in humanity to see a kind-hearted person rescue a sloth or another animal from being stuck in the middle of the street, probably paralyzed with fear. Sloths are precious. :)
They are amazing creatures.

Look at how this donkey comforts his bestie who fell. 🥰 Who says animals don't have empathy....

Forum List

Back