Family Dollar investigates after St. Louis-area stores post ban on hoods Share on Facebook Share on

Marianne

Diamond Member
May 15, 2014
The frozen Northeast
A national variety-store chain has started an internal investigation after learning that some St. Louis-area locations are asking customers not to wear hooded clothing.

The request — outlined on signs that have been posted at some Family Dollar stores in the area — drew the attention of the St. Louis CBS affiliate KMOV, which reported that at least two criminal incidents have occurred at local stores in recent weeks.

“They want people’s faces to be seen by the cameras,” St. Louis resident Kusloshiai Webb told KMOV. “And sometimes when you have on a hood, it might block your facial view.”

Another customer, however, took issue with the decision.

“I would call it discrimination. That’s not right,” Roger Williams said, according to KMOV. “It shouldn’t matter that you’re going in there with your hood on. If you’re not stealing, and you’re buying, purchasing something, what’s the problem? That shouldn’t be an issue.”

(It should be noted that the signs aren’t posted at every St. Louis-area Family Dollar location, KMOV reported.)

The 2012 shooting death of an unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin put the spotlight on people’s perceptions of hooded sweatshirts.

Moments before fatally shooting Martin, neighborhood watch violunteer George Zimmerman told a 911 operator that Martin was wearing “a dark hoodie, like a gray hoodie” and seemed “real suspicious.”

As The Post noted that year:

Out of tragedy, the utilitarian hooded sweatshirt, which first gained popularity in the 1930s as a practical pullover for workingmen, has emerged as a Rorschach test of racial perceptions.

Several weeks after Martin’s death, some preachers and their congregations attended services wearing hoodies. NBA star LeBron James tweeted a photo of the Miami Heat wearing hoodies, with their heads bowed.

And, The Post noted:

Geraldo Rivera ignited widespread criticism for saying on the “Fox & Friends” morning show that “The hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin’s death as George Zimmerman was.” He continued his assault on “The O’Reilly Factor,” warning parents of black and Hispanic youths not to allow their sons to wear hooded sweatshirts.

“Who else wears hoodies?” he asked. “Everybody that ever stuck up a convenience store; D.B. Cooper, the guy that hijacked a plane; Ted Kaczynski the Unabomber.”

Bryn R. Winburn, media relations manager for North Carolina-based Family Dollar, told KMOV that it was “not Company policy to ask our customers to remove hoods or sweatshirts before entering our stores.”

“We certainly appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we are looking into the matter internally,” Family Dollar’s corporate office said, according to a post on KMOV’s Facebook page.

Reports KMOV:

Managers at the South Grand and South Jefferson locations of Family Dollar would not comment on why or when the ban went into place.

The Family Dollar at 2700 S. Grand removed the sign from their door Tuesday night.

An e-mail from The Post to Family Dollar was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Video | News | Weather | Sports
Family Dollar investigates after St. Louis-area stores post ban on hoods - The Washington Post

“I would call it discrimination. That’s not right,” Roger Williams said, according to KMOV. “It shouldn’t matter that you’re going in there with your hood on. If you’re not stealing, and you’re buying, purchasing something, what’s the problem? That shouldn’t be an issue.”

Now from my perspective if you are not up to something and you're inside a store what's the big deal, take the hood off.

Why is this Discrimination? My kids school doesn't allow hoodies to be worn and nobody's complaining.

Many banks have notices on their doors as you walk in. No hats, no sunglasses, no hoodies. What's the big fucking deal.

Can't think of a single bank in my area that does, but they really don't care anyway. They load robbers up with money whose serial numbers have been recorded already so the government just replaces it and they lose nothing. They just turn over the serial number list to the government and that is that.

A national variety-store chain has started an internal investigation after learning that some St. Louis-area locations are asking customers not to wear hooded clothing.

The request — outlined on signs that have been posted at some Family Dollar stores in the area — drew the attention of the St. Louis CBS affiliate KMOV, which reported that at least two criminal incidents have occurred at local stores in recent weeks.

“They want people’s faces to be seen by the cameras,” St. Louis resident Kusloshiai Webb told KMOV. “And sometimes when you have on a hood, it might block your facial view.”

Another customer, however, took issue with the decision.

(It should be noted that the signs aren’t posted at every St. Louis-area Family Dollar location, KMOV reported.)

The 2012 shooting death of an unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin put the spotlight on people’s perceptions of hooded sweatshirts.

Moments before fatally shooting Martin, neighborhood watch violunteer George Zimmerman told a 911 operator that Martin was wearing “a dark hoodie, like a gray hoodie” and seemed “real suspicious.”

As The Post noted that year:

Out of tragedy, the utilitarian hooded sweatshirt, which first gained popularity in the 1930s as a practical pullover for workingmen, has emerged as a Rorschach test of racial perceptions.

Several weeks after Martin’s death, some preachers and their congregations attended services wearing hoodies. NBA star LeBron James tweeted a photo of the Miami Heat wearing hoodies, with their heads bowed.

And, The Post noted:

Geraldo Rivera ignited widespread criticism for saying on the “Fox & Friends” morning show that “The hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin’s death as George Zimmerman was.” He continued his assault on “The O’Reilly Factor,” warning parents of black and Hispanic youths not to allow their sons to wear hooded sweatshirts.

“Who else wears hoodies?” he asked. “Everybody that ever stuck up a convenience store; D.B. Cooper, the guy that hijacked a plane; Ted Kaczynski the Unabomber.”

Bryn R. Winburn, media relations manager for North Carolina-based Family Dollar, told KMOV that it was “not Company policy to ask our customers to remove hoods or sweatshirts before entering our stores.”

“We certainly appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we are looking into the matter internally,” Family Dollar’s corporate office said, according to a post on KMOV’s Facebook page.

Reports KMOV:

Managers at the South Grand and South Jefferson locations of Family Dollar would not comment on why or when the ban went into place.

The Family Dollar at 2700 S. Grand removed the sign from their door Tuesday night.

An e-mail from The Post to Family Dollar was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Video | News | Weather | Sports
Family Dollar investigates after St. Louis-area stores post ban on hoods - The Washington Post

“I would call it discrimination. That’s not right,”

I agree, they be descriminatin' against da gangstas.

Now from my perspective if you are not up to something and you're inside a store what's the big deal, take the hood off.

Why is this Discrimination? My kids school doesn't allow hoodies to be worn and nobody's complaining.
Technically it is discrimination - the legal kind of discrimination against a certain dress. Nothing wrong about that at all. The problem is that a lot of people seem to think that your actions as a bushiness owner must follow their expectations while they themselves can do whatever they want whenever they please. Entitlement comes from the same mindset and it is getting out of hand.

There is nothing wrong with the dress code and if the customers don't like it - don't shop there. Simple.

Sometimes when I wear a ski mask into my local bank they give me free money for no reason. Not!

Don't blame a store for taking reasonable security measures.

Many banks have notices on their doors as you walk in. No hats, no sunglasses, no hoodies. What's the big fucking deal.

Can't think of a single bank in my area that does, but they really don't care anyway. They load robbers up with money whose serial numbers have been recorded already so the government just replaces it and they lose nothing. They just turn over the serial number list to the government and that is that.
Usually the sign is very small and on the entrance door. Typically they look something like this:
safetysign7.gif

Look around next time - it would not surprise me if it was there but you had not noticed it.

Since the design of the hood is to protect the wearer from the elements and since being indoors already protects the wearer from the elements, the wearing of the hood indoors becomes superfluous. Continued use of the hood indoors exacerbates core body temperature increase, resulting in perspiring. A sweating body that is subsequently reintroduced to the outdoor elements that prompted the deployment of the hoodie in the first place is now at risk for core body temperature drop. That temperature drop resulting from the sweating caused by wearing the hood indoors combined with exposure to the elements then puts the body at risk for hypothermia.
Requesting the removal of the hood indoors is thereby an act of courtesy and concern for the patron's well-being.

Anything and everything whitey does is a big fucking deal to your average Negro. Somehow, someway it's discrimination against the sorry bastards.

gee another southern cracker chimes in

My favorite restaurant is Cracker Barrel. I don't cover my face with a hoodie when I eat there either.

Anything and everything whitey does is a big fucking deal to your average Negro. Somehow, someway it's discrimination against the sorry bastards.

Because it seems the only people complaining are blacks but it's not about blacks. It's about safety. If a person has their face obstructed by a base ball cap,ski mask,hijab,winter scarf,paper bag, halloween mask, no matter what race they are, it should be removed before entering a store. It's just common sense.

My favorite restaurant is Cracker Barrel. I don't cover my face with a hoodie when I eat there either.
I actually recorded a song using one of those $5 harmonicas they sell at Cracker Barrel and the song received airplay on an XM radio blues show!

But guno should...his face would stop the proverbial 8 day clock.

Forum List

Back