American football's negative externalities

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
it was brought up on MTP this am. Its been known for some time about the life-threatening/expensive, life-long debilitating injuries that players receive and can't afford to pay to manage it after they retire.
NFL Settlement: Is It Plausible?
Alan Schwarz and Tony Dungy discuss the plausibility of paying damages to professional football players who've suffered concussions.

NFL Settlement: Is It Plausible? - Video on NBCNews.com

They mentioned $712 MILLION? Not NEARLY enough to cover the long-term medical care many of these people will need.

When football started, it was a sport that had regular/average guys running around. Today you got people taking supplements and practically living in a gym so they can be bulked-up. Getting speared, for instance, today w/ a helmet is a lot different than it was in the early 20th century when they wore leather gear.

Before any of you people make any ad hominems directed at me- I used to pass people like you through my stool back in my day so don't even go there :talktothehand:

add to this all the couch potato, morans who "watch" it and the ginormous public expenses associated w/ it- see Bush II's sweetheart stadium deal in Tejas & the thread on security (whats it going to cost?) at the current "game".

The owners need to pick up the tab for this, NOT Joe/Jane Q. Citizen :mad:

That, or we ban the game altogether. :eek: YES, I went there :cool:

Last edited:
Obama wants to ban guns?

How about he first tries an executive order banning football. Right now. Today. Before the Super Bowl starts.

Then, if he survives, he can do the same with guns!

Let's make a few things clear

No one has ever been forced to play football. No one. Period

No football player has ever been forced to hit anyone else. Period

No football player has ever been forced into a position to be hit. It's never happened ever. Period

it was brought up on MTP this am. Its been known for some time about the life-threatening/expensive, life-long debilitating injuries that players receive and can't afford to pay to manage it after they retire.
Alan Schwarz and Tony Dungy discuss the plausibility of paying damages to professional football players who've suffered concussions.

I think they mentioned $600 MILLION? Not NEARLY enough to cover the long-term medical care many of these people will need.

When football started, it was a sport that had regular/average guys running around. Today you got people taking supplements and practically living in a gym so they can be bulked-up. Getting speared, for instance, today w/ a helmet is a lot different than it was in the early 20th century when they wore leather gear.

Before any of you people make any ad hominems directed at me- I used to pass people like you through my stoll back in my day so don't even go there :talktothehand:

add to this all the couch potato, morans who "watch" it and the ginormous public expenses associated w/ it- see Bush II's sweetheart stadium deal in Tejas & the thread on security (whats it going to cost?) at the current "game".

First off the Bush deal was for a baseball, not football, but nice try with the bullshit spin.

I agree with the dangers of football, I also agree that $600 million is not enough, however going forward, today's athletes know the risk and are making informed decisions.

No football player has ever been forced into a position to be hit. It's never happened ever. Period

rules have been put in place since the 1970's against gratuitous spearing & other unsportsmanlike conduct :eusa_hand: YET it continues. ?You think the league is going to stand up and cover the expenses?

Last edited:

rules have been put in place since the 1970's against gratuitous spearing & other unsportsmanlike conduct :eusa_hand: YET it continues. ?You think the league is going to stand up and cover the expenses?

Which has absolutely nothing with my post.

Sounds like an assault took place, oh wait, you give up the right to prosecute when you agree to allow the assault.

I think they mentioned $600 MILLION? Not NEARLY enough to cover the long-term medical care many of these people will need.

Before any of you people make any ad hominems directed at me- I used to pass people like you through my stoll back in my day so don't even go there :talktothehand:

First off the Bush deal was for a baseball, not football, but nice try with the bullshit spin.

I agree with the dangers of football, I also agree that $600 million is not enough, however going forward, today's athletes know the risk and are making informed decisions.

a stadium is a stadium and you are right about a few hundred million being a pittance for the league owners.

a stadium is a stadium and you are right about a few hundred million being a pittance for the league owners.

That's not what I said, you start talking football, take a cheap shot at Bush, and then claim your fake concern for athletes. Dumb fuck.

And now instead of proceeding to talk of which you claim to care about, you go to politics.

You are just another hack, I agree with the football injuries and the dangers, but you don't give a fuck about them. Fuck off, bitch.

That's not what I said, you start talking football, take a cheap shot at Bush, and then claim your fake concern for athletes. Dumb fuck.

And now instead of proceeding to talk of which you claim to care about, you go to politics.

You are just another hack, I agree with the football injuries and the dangers, but you don't give a fuck about them. Fuck off, bitch.

rw meltdown :thup: I care about how these athletes are discarded like empty soda cans asswipe. You a fan of it?

Also, foisting the cost of stadiums off onto the taxpayer is left holding the bag aint right. Its a negative externality which is what this thread is about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes...as_Rangers_and_allegations_of_insider_trading
After working on his father's successful 1988 presidential campaign, Bush learned from fellow Yale alumnus William DeWitt, Jr., that family friend Eddie Chiles wanted to sell the Texas Rangers baseball franchise along with the new sports dome; built on land acquired under eminent domain law and built under funding financed through taxpayers' funds backed by a bond issued for its debt. The new home of the Texas Rangers is still being contested in court by the original landowner who has not received payment for the land. The sports dome has not yet been paid off with the tax increase enacted to pay off the bond.

Last edited:

rw meltdown :thup: I care about how these athletes are discarded like empty soda cans asswipe. You a fan of it?

Also, foisting the cost of stadiums off onto the taxpayer is left holding the bag aint right. Its a negative externality which is what this thread is about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes...as_Rangers_and_allegations_of_insider_trading
After working on his father's successful 1988 presidential campaign, Bush learned from fellow Yale alumnus William DeWitt, Jr., that family friend Eddie Chiles wanted to sell the Texas Rangers baseball franchise along with the new sports dome; built on land acquired under eminent domain law and built under funding financed through taxpayers' funds backed by a bond issued for its debt. The new home of the Texas Rangers is still being contested in court by the original landowner who has not received payment for the land. The sports dome has not yet been paid off with the tax increase enacted to pay off the bond.

No dumbshit, like I said before, I don't care about a baseball stadium like the one Paul Allen had constructed in Seattle.

I am concerned about the athletes, you have trouble comprehending what I post? I posted that in my first and second post. Try rereading without you bullshit political bias. I stated $600 million was not enough, but go ahead and twist.

stop deflecting. This thread is about negative externalities associated w/ the owners. You don't like the topic? The doors over there ->

stop deflecting. This thread is about negative externalities associated w/ the owners. You don't like the topic? The doors over there ->

The thread is about football according to the dumbshit that named it.

I said I agree with the athletes needing more than the $600 million and as far as their football stadiums, it is a local, county and state issue and if voted for, then though shit.

Atlanta, New York, Chicago, Seattle and even Detroit vote for the stadiums. I have nothing against the owners or the cities, I cite the voters.

Now, do you want to talk about your football owners and their negative externalities or are you going to play games?

Quit deflecting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back