A lot of Atheist and agnostics just don't get it

Ok, so you don't believe the bible is true either. Got it.
No, you haven't "got it." It is your translation/interpretation of the Bible that is so hard to swallow.
No, you haven't "got it." It is your translation/interpretation of the Bible that is so hard to swallow.

- and you have no problem believing spoon fed forgeries ...

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

and the recorded history of persecution and victimization the christian bible is responsible for.

I always thought that what was written in the bible was considered to be true. I went to Sunday school, and a catholic school run by priests, so that was what I was taught. But that was eons ago... So now, people find themselves having to move the goalposts because as written, it makes no common or scientific sense. I'm just surprised how people can say they believe in the god of the bible but don't think that the bible is true. That seems contradictory to me.
I was brought up attending Catholic schools. We were never taught what you preach. As an adult, I've attended Bible studies run by priests. Again, nothing like what you are preaching. And, I truly listen to the homilies--again, nothing like what you are preaching. Finally, I did research on the Jewish faith and what they teach about the Old Testament...again, nothing like you say. When was the last time you did any serious religious studies?

The goal posts have not been moved. What we are seeing is that a child's view of the goal posts eons ago, is much different from the adult view.

I always thought that what was written in the bible was considered to be true. I went to Sunday school, and a catholic school run by priests, so that was what I was taught. But that was eons ago... So now, people find themselves having to move the goalposts because as written, it makes no common or scientific sense. I'm just surprised how people can say they believe in the god of the bible but don't think that the bible is true. That seems contradictory to me.
I was brought up attending Catholic schools. We were never taught what you preach. As an adult, I've attended Bible studies run by priests. Again, nothing like what you are preaching. And, I truly listen to the homilies--again, nothing like what you are preaching. Finally, I did research on the Jewish faith and what they teach about the Old Testament...again, nothing like you say. When was the last time you did any serious religious studies?

The goal posts have not been moved. What we are seeing is that a child's view of the goal posts eons ago, is much different from the adult view.
No, there are still tons of people, like the Pope, who believe that the bible is true, the word of god, not INSPIRED by god, the actual word of god. Like the 10 commandments, do you think they were simply inspired by god?

No, there are still tons of people, like the Pope, who believe that the bible is true, the word of god, not INSPIRED by god, the actual word of god. Like the 10 commandments, do you think they were simply inspired by god?
Let's reference the Catechism of the Catholic Church, shall we?

106 God inspired the human authors of the sacred books.

I doubt you will find anyone who says the Pope doesn't adhere to the Catechism. Catholics believe in the Word of God (defined as an authoritative command of God). The Ten Commandments are indeed the Word of God, and as such are inscribed on every human heart--not just on the paper in Bibles or the the words on computer screens.

Let's reference the Catechism of the Catholic Church, shall we?

106 God inspired the human authors of the sacred books.

I doubt you will find anyone who says the Pope doesn't adhere to the Catechism. Catholics believe in the Word of God (defined as an authoritative command of God). The Ten Commandments are indeed the Word of God, and as such are inscribed on every human heart--not just on the paper in Bibles or the the words on computer screens.
So you're saying that you consider that SOME of the bible is the actual word of god? Ok, another cherry picker. Got it.

So you're saying that you consider that SOME of the bible is the actual word of god? Ok, another cherry picker. Got it.
No, you haven't "got it" yet. No worries. I have high hopes for you. ;)

The bible is supposed to be the word of god. Now you want to dumb it down to inspired by god. Having doubts, are we?
As a child, in Catholic School, we were taught that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Where were you taught that God either wrote or dictated the Bible? So, no, I have no doubts. Why? Do you doubt your atheism?
So god didn't actually give Moses the 10 commandments? The making everything in 6 days is bs? The story of Noah never happened and was simply inspired by what a god might say? ...
Reading the Bible literally again, Taz?
Your way proved nothing. Just that you don't believe the bible as written.
No. I don't believe the Bible the way you read it. I read it for understanding. You don't.

I look for the interpretation that makes sense. I don't read it like a buffoon.

I too grew up as a Catholic. It didn't make sense to me then either. Not fully, anyway. But as an adult it was my responsibility to work it out for myself.

You on the other hand never made any effort at all and blame others for your failure.

I too grew up as a Catholic. It didn't make sense to me then either. Not fully, anyway. But as an adult it was my responsibility to work it out for myself.

You on the other hand never made any effort at all and blame others for your failure.
I'm just amazed at how many "believers" don't think that the bible is true. You yourself had to move the goalposts so it made sense to you.

I'm just amazed at how many "believers" don't think that the bible is true. You yourself had to move the goalposts so it made sense to you.
And I am amazed that you botched what was just explained to you.

You are reading texts that were written thousands of years ago. If you want to read them like a buffoon that's on you.

No reason to be amazed. There is a huge difference noting that Bible stories are not all literal and saying one does not think the Bible is true. I note that all Bible stories are not literal deliveries of events and I still believe the Bible to be true. Try to keep in mind that textbooks, encyclopedias, and newspapers were unknown in Biblical times. Lessons and truths had to be conveyed in a memorable way to last through the generations. It is merely a matter of being open to and aware of cultural differences.

You are reading texts that were written thousands of years ago. If you want to read them like a buffoon that's on you.
I’m read Them as they were intended to be read thousands of years ago. You’re the one who moves the goalposts.

I’m read Them as they were intended to be read thousands of years ago. You’re the one who moves the goalposts.
Keep in mind that the earliest accounts are 6,000 years old and were passed down orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. You shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. We are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning. You prove this daily.

No reason to be amazed. There is a huge difference noting that Bible stories are not all literal and saying one does not think the Bible is true. I note that all Bible stories are not literal deliveries of events and I still believe the Bible to be true. Try to keep in mind that textbooks, encyclopedias, and newspapers were unknown in Biblical times. Lessons and truths had to be conveyed in a memorable way to last through the generations. It is merely a matter of being open to and aware of cultural differences.
Geez, that sure was a lot of fartsmoke to try to explain why you don’t think that the bible is true, but that it is. Even for you.

Keep in mind that the earliest accounts are 6,000 years old and were passed down orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. You shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. We are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning. You prove this daily.
So you’re saying that the stories aren’t true as written, when in fact, they’ve been considered true until science came along. Better luck next time.

So you’re saying that the stories aren’t true as written, when in fact, they’ve been considered true until science came along. Better luck next time.
No. I'm not saying that. You are saying that.

I am saying that one should treat texts such as Genesis 1 & 2 as what they are which is an allegorical account of world history before the great migration from Mesopotamia. Interspersed in these allegorical accounts of history are wisdoms that they deemed important enough to pass down and remember. Such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he didn't do wrong.

Or you could keep reading them like a buffoon.

Geez, that sure was a lot of fartsmoke to try to explain why you don’t think that the bible is true, but that it is. Even for you.
Dude, you're just trolling. What you intend for evil, God is using for good.

I am saying that one should treat texts such as Genesis 1 & 2 as what they are which is an allegorical account of world history before the great migration from Mesopotamia. Interspersed in these allegorical accounts of history are wisdoms that they deemed important enough to pass down and remember. Such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he didn't do wrong.

But you’re wrong. Originally, people thought for thousands of years that the stories happened as written.

Dude, you're just trolling. What you intend for evil, God is using for good.
The god you haven’t proven?

But you’re wrong. Originally, people thought for thousands of years that the stories happened as written.
I doubt that very seriously.

Just as the Chinese used well known history and everyday things as symbols in their written language to make words easier to remember, ancient man used stories to pass down historical events and important knowledge to future generations.

Forum List

Back