Romeo and Juliette in hell?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
The classic Shakespeare play was written in the time of solid Christian society. It also depicts suicide for love. Do you think the audience of the day thought that Romeo and Juliette went to hell for their suicide? Do you think that with your modern views? Where in the Bible is suicide punished in context? Do modern Christian's believe that suicide for love leads to hell? In modern society, suicide for love is a relatively high national statistics, especially amongst women.

R&J was written around the end of the 16th Century when Christianity was transitioning away from Purgatory toward the Hell model, so it is hard to say how that would have been perceived then as a lot of major flux was going on. As for my personal beliefs, I don't really make sweeping judgments. Depends on why the person did it I guess but mostly I don't care if someone kills themselves. Their life to do with what they please.

The classic Shakespeare play was written in the time of solid Christian society. It also depicts suicide for love. Do you think the audience of the day thought that Romeo and Juliette went to hell for their suicide? Do you think that with your modern views? Where in the Bible is suicide punished in context? Do modern Christian's believe that suicide for love leads to hell? In modern society, suicide for love is a relatively high national statistics, especially amongst women.
The first thing I noted about Romeo and Juliet is that it is a love story that focuses on two feuding families and ends in tragedy. Fictional characters do not go to hell, not even the fictional hell. I imagine the audience of the day were of the same mind.

As for suicide and hell. In the Catholic Church the teaching has always been that suicide does put one's soul in danger of hell--but that a loving and merciful God who judges the heart, as always, makes the final determination. What we as a people need to do is let everyone know that no matter what the tragedy, it will pass and that life is worth living.

Dear anotherlife
Given that these two young characters were not full grown adults, but 14 and 16 I believe,
I doubt anyone would hold these "kids" responsible for what would more likely
be perceived as child psychological abuse by their parents. If anything the
parents would be seen as suffering hell, were it not for the message of
forgiveness at the end that pointed toward breaking the cycle of retribution.

That message of redemption and rising above tragic destruction
is more in keeping with the true message in Christianity.
Not the politicized version of judgment and punishment
that is not the real message anyway. That negative flipside is
a warning what happens if we do not forgive one another and
pray over each over that we may be healed. The whole point
is to forgive so that we receiving healing and break the cycle
of war and suffering that leads to death and destruction.

BTW if you are going to try to make a political point out of this,
here's my satirical take on Shakespeare spoofed as
Juliet and Romeo, making fun of the bipartisan politics
of the 90's around the Clinton era where prochoice and
prolife camps rose up against each other. Enjoy!

www.julietandromeo.net
www.julietandromeo.org

The classic Shakespeare play was written in the time of solid Christian society. It also depicts suicide for love. Do you think the audience of the day thought that Romeo and Juliette went to hell for their suicide?

Which suicide? ... Ah yea - I remember ... one confusion had hunted the next mistake ... Whatever. Suicide? Not really, I guess.

Do you think that with your modern views?

No.

Where in the Bible is suicide punished in context?

Nowhere, because it is impossible to punish suicde.

Do modern Christian's believe that suicide for love leads to hell?

Who is doing suicide is in danger of hell. No one has a "divine" right to murder anyone - also not the own person. And don't tell me now something about "free will" or "autonomy". No ones will is it to die. Behind every suicide lies always a tragedy.

In modern society, suicide for love is a relatively high national statistics, especially amongst women.

Is it? Why? "Men are pigs" - For sure not a reason to do suicide. And sometimes men die because they piss on an unisolated power line - or because they repair a motor which is running. But a woman? Why should a woman waste her life because of a man? Specially: No man is worth to die for him. Stay alive! That's the best what you are able to do. Another man will be thankful to god that you live and love you how god made you.

And if this here reads a man, who thinks he should die because of an unrequested love: Don't do suicide! That's much to much stress. Anyway you will die because you will piss on a power line or because you repair a running motor. ... By the way. Some years ago a student here died because he made a shortcut to the other side of the bridge. Perhaps he liked to impress some girls - he sprang a little drunken but very elegant over a barrier, directly 25 yards deep into the river. He was immediatelly dead. No need to think about suicide in such a case. All men are like this! They are doing things no one thinks only a half thought this could really happpen. We installed now a kind of fisher net for deep flying idiots, who break the heart of their parents.

the purpose is to cross the void to find life in the Everlasting - could suicide be a springboard, hopefully for them - or certainly not without justification ...

Suicide for religious purposes as was the practice of Gnostic Christians is wrong.

I don’t really know how anyone can justify suicide.

As to the fate of those that do? Who knows? Personally I don’t believe it is a mortal sin just because the nature of the sin doesn’t allow for repentance.

I thought they died of a heroin overdose.

Suicide for religious purposes as was the practice of Gnostic Christians is wrong.

As to the fate of those that do? Who knows? Personally I don’t believe it is a mortal sin just because the nature of the sin doesn’t allow for repentance.
Jesus committed suicide, he could have easily saved himself.

Did you come up with that one all by yourself? Or did mommy and daddy help?

You have nothing to say against that so you try to insult me.
Your concession is duly noted.

You have nothing to say against that so you try to insult me.
Your concession is duly noted.
That wasn’t an insult. Lots of kids need help from their parents.

Forum List

Back