28% of Republicans support Same Sex Marriage

He refused to defend the Unconstitutional Defense of Marriage Act

What have the Texas Republicans done?

Well I'm glad to see you're against some of Clinton's legislation.

I will concede that that is a baby step, but I'd like to see him push for equality in gay rights in marriage, rather than sitting on the sidelines hoping someone else will do it all for him.

Right now, he has no presidential power to authorize gay marriage. It will come from either Congress or the Courts

It will, most likely, come from the courts. That seems to be where most civil rights progress ends up coming from (historically speaking).

Please use your next post to address the difference between Obama's and the most far right wing republican's view on gay marriage.

Thanks

Well, to start with, he's willing to look at civil unions. Few "far right" republicans are. The President has also made this statement recently:

My feelings are constantly evolving. At this point, what I've said is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have, and I think that's the right thing to do.

But I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think this is something that we're going to continue to debate, and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward.

translation: "i'm gonna stay uncommitted as long as i can so i can milk all the votes i possibly can. i've never been committed to anything nor any belief except that from which i can personally benefit. send money."

:thup:

he's not like the others.......:lol:

I agree.

The only major difference is.. Obama doesn't run around trying to stop the advance of marriage equality. He also doesn't go around bashing gay people all the time.. and has taken a more pro-equality choice than any other President in U.S. history.

Including DOMA, DADT.. and many, many other significant changes.

Forum List

Back