28% of Republicans support Same Sex Marriage

"We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant
special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin)"

Underlined is from your link, which answers my question.

Texas republicans and Obama have the same view on gay marriage.

No, they don't. Texas Republicans put outlawing homosexuality in their platform.

I get that you are angry at the President about stuff, but to conflate the two is ridiculous.

I asked specifically about gay marriage, not gays in general, maybe Obama pretends to be less of a homophobe to get votes but to me when you speak out against gay marriage you might as well be holding up a banner that says "I'm a homophobe."

That all depends on your point of view. Personally I believe marriage is between a man and a women. But I have no issues if gay couples are afforded the same benefits and hetero couples. It has nothing to do with homophobia or dislike of homosexuals.

Ops I see, so only 31% of all democrats (voters) are bigoted on the issue of Gay marraige! Whew, LAST YEAR only 44% of Democrats were bigots towards the idea of Gay marraige! Man, what a jump! I wonder what changed the minds of these people that used to be like "ewe gay's getting married" to "hell fucking yeah!"

Like most Americans, they are realizing that gays getting married is not that big a deal...it does not affect their own marriage at all.

I think much of the big swing in acceptance of gay marriage can be attributed to the repeal of DADT. People are realizing that gays are just part of our society.

The question is....why are Republicans still stuck in the 1950s?

1950s? Try 2008, when Obama was against gay marriage and at least 1 million of the people who voted for him in California felt the same.

You'll note that you are bashing an entire party for not agreeing with you while at the same time wonder why they don't agree with you. Lots of people who have otherwise not been exposed to average everyday gays see it as a cultural conflict and another liberal agenda advancement. You are adding fuel to the fire.

The best way to normalize gay marriage is to not make a big deal out of it and certainly not make it a partisan issue.

Please use your next post to address the difference between Obama's and the most far right wing republican's view on gay marriage.

Thanks

Well, to start with, he's willing to look at civil unions. Few "far right" republicans are. The President has also made this statement recently:

My feelings are constantly evolving. At this point, what I've said is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have, and I think that's the right thing to do.

But I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think this is something that we're going to continue to debate, and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward.

Yep, and a few homosexuals are unwilling to compromise as well. Yet you never say ANYTHING in regards to them. Wonder why?

Why are Republicans always 20 years behind the times?

America's "unprecedented" support for gay marriage: By the numbers - The Week

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

I'm a Republican ( libertarian-leaning) who has long supported same-sex marriage. I am not gay nor is anyone in my family, as far as I know. ( for those who would think that because I believe in the rights of same-sex marriage as a human right. ) I think Republicans who have been opposed are so based upon scriptures in the Bible. I make my own scriptures. The Golden Rule covers them all.

I think the scriptural basis to resist legal gay marriage is flawed, which is why I don't support incest and I don't support selling my daughters. If one thinks homosexuality is a sin I cannot object to their right to have that opinion. I think divorce is a sin but I don't want the government outlawing that.

Why are Republicans always 20 years behind the times?

America's "unprecedented" support for gay marriage: By the numbers - The Week

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

It seems that most people of deep faith [man shall not lay with man as he does a woman] are republican. So when you poll them on such things, they are going to default to what the bible says.

Most of these people are neo-con progs that want bigger or more government controls.

*sigh*

If the GOP could squeeze them out, I'd consider rejoining the party. But churches have deep, deep pockets, soooo.

Yeah that's why I haven't gotten behind the Tea Party, too many religous overtones, I'm looking for more of an inclusive fiscally conservative message.

I agree and I consider myself very religious. However I cannot vote for any fiscal liberal, no matter which party. I also think that Medical Science can end abortion, not the churches.

Those are the same folks who wring their hands in fear every time they see scenes of Madrases operated by the Taliban.

Funny how God should work in our government but not in an Islamic government.

I think that if we left legislating up to humans and matters of divinity up to God, everything should work out just fine.

well the taliban are tyrants and will kill those that are under their controll and won't live the way they demand.

Any group that lets God run their government eventually turn into tyrants. The Pilgrims ran to Massachusetts from England to avoid religious tyrants. Some of those same Pilgrims ran away from those little New England settlements to get away from religious tyrants.

Even the Klan claimed God was on their side as they burned, lynched and killed.

God should have no seat in the legislature.

The absence of religion didn't help anything. See Stalin for reference.

people against gay marriage are going to loose to the youth vote. So all it really is a matter of time. That 72% of the GOP wont matter anymore. We are already at 53% nationally approving of it. Its over.

I welcome that eventual outcome, then the right side of the aisle can welcome fiscal conservatives of all orientations.

Like most Americans, they are realizing that gays getting married is not that big a deal...it does not affect their own marriage at all.

I think much of the big swing in acceptance of gay marriage can be attributed to the repeal of DADT. People are realizing that gays are just part of our society.

The question is....why are Republicans still stuck in the 1950s?

The Democrats are willing to study the issues and perhaps change their minds. Obviously, this is not true with Republicans.

That is true. We know that marriage is meant to be between a man and a woman. Case closed. :up:

Just how do we know this?

Can someone list Obama's accomplishments, whether it be as a president or senator or anything else, in helping to push forth the ability for gays to get married.

I would appreciate it. I'd like to line up those accomplishments vs what Texas republicans have done to make marriage rights equal for all.

Can someone list Obama's accomplishments, whether it be as a president or senator or anything else, in helping to push forth the ability for gays to get married.

I would appreciate it. I'd like to line up those accomplishments vs what Texas republicans have done to make marriage rights equal for all.

He refused to defend the Unconstitutional Defense of Marriage Act

What have the Texas Republicans done?

Well I'm glad to see you're against some of Clinton's legislation.

I will concede that that is a baby step, but I'd like to see him push for equality in gay rights in marriage, rather than sitting on the sidelines hoping someone else will do it all for him.

I will concede that that is a baby step, but I'd like to see him push for equality in gay rights in marriage, rather than sitting on the sidelines hoping someone else will do it all for him.

Right now, he has no presidential power to authorize gay marriage. It will come from either Congress or the Courts

Right now, he has no presidential power to authorize gay marriage. It will come from either Congress or the Courts

He could at a bare minimum vocally encourage them to do so, but he doesn't, because he and biden view marriage as only between man and a woman, same as Texas republicans.

He could at a bare minimum vocally encourage them to do so, but he doesn't, because he and biden view marriage as only between man and a woman, same as Texas republicans.

I think you will see that happen..

But the real issue is when are we going to see any movement from Republicans on supporting gay rights?

They embarassed themselves in trying to block the repeal of DADT
They support Constitutional amendments blocking gay marriage
They block legislation at the state level
They initiated funding to support the defense of DOMA

When are they going to get out of peoples bedrooms?

But the real issue is when are we going to see any movement from Republicans on supporting gay rights?

Why are you so obsessed with homosexuality? Seriously?

Basic human rights. A foreign concept to Conservatives.

From Post 38

Quote: Originally Posted by Soggy in NOLA
Why is RW'er so obsessed with fags?

I really don't know..

I have no close friends or family members who are homosexuals. In my dealings with homosexuals, I have found them to be decent, caring individuals who seem to want the same things from life that the rest of us do.

I look at marriage as a lifelong commitment between two people. If heterosexual commitments are recognized and encouraged by our society, then homosexual ones should have equal recognition and incentives. It just seems fair

From Post 38

Quote: Originally Posted by Soggy in NOLA
Why is RW'er so obsessed with fags?

I really don't know..

I have no close friends or family members who are homosexuals. In my dealings with homosexuals, I have found them to be decent, caring individuals who seem to want the same things from life that the rest of us do.

I look at marriage as a lifelong commitment between two people. If heterosexual commitments are recognized and encouraged by our society, then homosexual ones should have equal recognition and incentives. It just seems fair

Gosh RW...it seems like you are saying that you are an American that supports equal civil rights for all citizens of this great country. Big Commie! :lol: :D

Forum List

Back