28% of Republicans support Same Sex Marriage

Like most Americans, they are realizing that gays getting married is not that big a deal...it does not affect their own marriage at all.

I think much of the big swing in acceptance of gay marriage can be attributed to the repeal of DADT. People are realizing that gays are just part of our society.

The question is....why are Republicans still stuck in the 1950s?

The Democrats are willing to study the issues and perhaps change their minds. Obviously, this is not true with Republicans.

That is true. We know that marriage is meant to be between a man and a woman. Case closed. :up:

Can you highlight that in the Constitution for me? I've read it a few times and have yet to find the lines where it says the Fed gov can who, who or what they can marry.

Thanks for your time.

Estate planning, willnext of kin visitation privileges, You are married, you can have an ID that states it is so. Hell the state can charge a fee to produce it. testimony in court,sorry, I dont get that. parental guardianship, or thatavailability of work benefits for spouses only. Has nothing to do with the state. All sorts of things happen legally when you get married.

All sorts of things happen legally when you get divorced too. I still have the limp.

None of that "needs" the states involvement.
A spouse cannot testify against his/her spouse. And I thought you had watched every episode of Perry Mason!:lol:

But all those things are handled at once with a marriage license. Otherwise, one would have to go from agency to agency securing all those benefits.

Separate but equal? Here I thought we were past that insidious idea.

Perry Mason! My Mom loved Perry Mason. :eusa_angel:

They can also be handled by the church, or whatever, you get married in. It's just not a state doc.

Separate but equal? Here I thought we were past that insidious idea. Not sure what you mean by that. The only time I recall that being used was for the races pre-civil rights.
If heterosexual married people have all those concerns addressed by holding a marriage license, making same sex couples secure the same benefits by dancing all over town to ensure that each benefit is secured smacks of separate but equal.

A spouse cannot testify against his/her spouse. And I thought you had watched every episode of Perry Mason!:lol:

But all those things are handled at once with a marriage license. Otherwise, one would have to go from agency to agency securing all those benefits.

Separate but equal? Here I thought we were past that insidious idea.

Perry Mason! My Mom loved Perry Mason. :eusa_angel:

They can also be handled by the church, or whatever, you get married in. It's just not a state doc.

Separate but equal? Here I thought we were past that insidious idea. Not sure what you mean by that. The only time I recall that being used was for the races pre-civil rights.
If heterosexual married people have all those concerns addressed by holding a marriage license, making same sex couples secure the same benefits by dancing all over town to ensure that each benefit is secured smacks of separate but equal.

OOOHHHH
ok
:lol:

Neither straight or gay people should need a license.

sorry, I snuck in my "Fair tax" shrink government in on ya so well you didn't notice.

A cert of some kind from the place/person that marries you should suffice for everything.

Why are Republicans always 20 years behind the times?

America's "unprecedented" support for gay marriage: By the numbers - The Week

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

Another poll from the usual lying leftist. *yawn*

Hence why he specified income taxes, certainly never said to do away with taxing.
But married folks, no matter how that marriage is configured, would still have to obtain a marriage license. It's a legal contract. We even have a special system of courts set up to dissolve that contract.

Income taxes, licensing fees, excise taxes it doesn't matter. There still has to be a system of legitimizing the contract of marriage.

Legally, what changes when you get married that you can't do as Two people living together?

The only thing I can think of is taxes. One of you gets to claim head of house hold.

Why do we do taxes? B./c we have to pay income tax and the government screws that up even though they have been at it for a LONG time, else we wouldn't get money back.

Toss income tax and there go the loop holes.

It goes way beyond just taxes.

Tax Benefits
• Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
• Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits
• Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
• Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
• Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
• Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits
• Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
• Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
• Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits
• Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
• Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
• Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
• Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits
• Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
• Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits
• Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
• Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits
• Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
• Applying for joint foster care rights.
• Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
• Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits
• Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
• Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits
• Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
• Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
• Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections
• Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium(loss of intimacy).
• Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
• Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
• Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
• Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
• Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

Marriage Rights and Benefits

Why are Republicans always 20 years behind the times?

America's "unprecedented" support for gay marriage: By the numbers - The Week

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

Another poll from the usual lying leftist. *yawn*

Gallup?

Focus on the Family Head: "We've Probably Lost" on Gay Marriage

So how far has the pendulum swung? Even Jim Daly, president of the right-wing group Focus on the Family, seems to be waving the white flag. Here's what he told the evangelical World magazine in its June issue:

What about same-sex marriage? We're losing on that one, especially among the 20- and 30-somethings: 65 to 70 percent of them favor same-sex marriage. I don't know if that's going to change with a little more age—demographers would say probably not. We've probably lost that. I don't want to be extremist here, but I think we need to start calculating where we are in the culture.

Christian-LGBT-Equality-Graphs-By-Age.png

Focus on the Family Head: "We've Probably Lost" on Gay Marriage

So how far has the pendulum swung? Even Jim Daly, president of the right-wing group Focus on the Family, seems to be waving the white flag. Here's what he told the evangelical World magazine in its June issue:

What about same-sex marriage? We're losing on that one, especially among the 20- and 30-somethings: 65 to 70 percent of them favor same-sex marriage. I don't know if that's going to change with a little more age—demographers would say probably not. We've probably lost that. I don't want to be extremist here, but I think we need to start calculating where we are in the culture.

Christian-LGBT-Equality-Graphs-By-Age.png

but I think we need to start calculating where we are in the culture

On the outside looking in

Please use your next post to address the difference between Obama's and the most far right wing republican's view on gay marriage.

Thanks

Texas Republicans want to make gays "felons". It's in their state Republican Party platform.

Obama doesn't.

Don't bother looking it up. I know you won't. Ignorance is bliss.

But if you want, you can read it here:

http://static.texastribune.org/media/documents/FINAL_2010_STATE_REPUBLICAN_PARTY_PLATFORM.pdf

But I know you won't. Republicans don't want to know the truth. It bothers them. Apparently, there is comfort in bullshit.

Did that help?

Please use your next post to address the difference between Obama's and the most far right wing republican's view on gay marriage.

Thanks

Texas Republicans want to make gays "felons". It's in their state Republican Party platform.

Obama doesn't.

http://static.texastribune.org/media/documents/FINAL_2010_STATE_REPUBLICAN_PARTY_PLATFORM.pdf

But I know you won't. Republicans don't want to know the truth. It bothers them. Apparently, there is comfort in bullshit.

Did that help?

"We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant
special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin)"

Underlined is from your link, which answers my question.

Texas republicans and Obama have the same view on gay marriage.

Yes that helped, even though I already knew that, and no I'm not a republican.

Thanks

Obama doesn't.

Did that help?

"We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant
special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin)"

The difference is that Obama would sign any legislation permitting gay marriage. The Texas legislature wouldn't

Thanks

Obama doesn't.

Did that help?

No, they don't. Texas Republicans put outlawing homosexuality in their platform.

I get that you are angry at the President about stuff, but to conflate the two is ridiculous.

Obama doesn't.

Did that help?

No, they don't. Texas Republicans put outlawing homosexuality in their platform.

I get that you are angry at the President about stuff, but to conflate the two is ridiculous.

I asked specifically about gay marriage, not gays in general, maybe Obama pretends to be less of a homophobe to get votes but to me when you speak out against gay marriage you might as well be holding up a banner that says "I'm a homophobe."

Obama doesn't.

Did that help?

The difference is that Obama would sign any legislation permitting gay marriage. The Texas legislature wouldn't

that's because obama has no principles.

I asked specifically about gay marriage, not gays in general, maybe Obama pretends to be less of a homophobe to get votes but to me when you speak out against gay marriage you might as well be holding up a banner that says "I'm a homophobe."

But he hasn't "spoken out" against gay marriage. He has stated his personal beliefs (based on his religious views) about gay marriage, but as RW has said, if any sort of "gay marriage" legislation were to cross his desk, even if it were granting full marriage equality to gays and lesbians, he WOULD sign it.

A bigot would try to stop the legislation at all costs. I don't count the President among those.

On one hand we're bombarded with Obama's Socialism, Marxism, Communism and extreme Liberalsim. And now we hear Obama has no principles.

To paraphrase Walter Sobchak; Say what you will about Marxism. At least it's an ethos.

On one hand we're bombarded with Obama's Socialism, Marxism, Communism and extreme Liberalsim. And now we hear Obama has no principles.

To paraphrase Walter Sobchak; Say what you will about Marxism. At least it's an ethos.

i've never labeled obama as anything other than an empty suit.

carry on

But he hasn't "spoken out" against gay marriage. He has stated his personal beliefs (based on his religious views) about gay marriage, but as RW has said, if any sort of "gay marriage" legislation were to cross his desk, even if it were granting full marriage equality to gays and lesbians, he WOULD sign it.

A bigot would try to stop the legislation at all costs. I don't count the President among those.

He's stated his views on marriage as only between man and woman and he's done nothing to end the homophobic laws against gay marriage.

Someone in a position of power would try to fix the situation by either making it a states issue (which I want) or by pushing for equality, which of course he has done neither and I'm quite confident he'll do neither.

He's a homophobe, I don't care about what he might do in a hypothetical situation that probably won't happen, that doesn't prove otherwise.

Thanks

Well, to start with, he's willing to look at civil unions. Few "far right" republicans are. The President has also made this statement recently:

My feelings are constantly evolving. At this point, what I've said is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have, and I think that's the right thing to do.

But I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think this is something that we're going to continue to debate, and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward.

translation: "i'm gonna stay uncommitted as long as i can so i can milk all the votes i possibly can. i've never been committed to anything nor any belief except that from which i can personally benefit. send money."

:thup:

he's not like the others.......:lol:

That's exactly what he's doing. Even during his campaign when aksed if he supported gay marriage he said his personal views were marriage was between a man and a woman.

Forum List

Back