28% of Republicans support Same Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rightwinger, May 23, 2011.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    Why are Republicans always 20 years behind the times?

America's "unprecedented" support for gay marriage: By the numbers - The Week

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Please use your next post to address the difference between Obama's and the most far right wing republican's view on gay marriage.

Thanks

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,281
    More fun to just 'live in sin' whatever the sexual preferance:lol:

4. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    See Defense of Marriage Act

5. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Well, to start with, he's willing to look at civil unions. Few "far right" republicans are. The President has also made this statement recently:

My feelings are constantly evolving. At this point, what I've said is that my baseline is a strong civil union that provides them the protections and the legal rights that married couples have, and I think that's the right thing to do.

But I recognize that from their perspective it is not enough, and I think this is something that we're going to continue to debate, and I personally am going to continue to wrestle with going forward.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,280
    What is amazing is that 28% of Republicans supported gay marriage a year ago and 28% support it today. While all other groups are seeing wide swings in support of gay marriage, Republicans keep their heads in the sand

7. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Don't give up on them. More and more of THEIR kids are coming out and it will be increasingly difficult for them to maintain their position. Just look at the marriage equality fight in NY where Conservative donors have out donated any other groups.

8. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
  9. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Obama has the same homophobe view of marriage as most republicans, no difference.

10. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    translation: "i'm gonna stay uncommitted as long as i can so i can milk all the votes i possibly can. i've never been committed to anything nor any belief except that from which i can personally benefit. send money."

:thup:

he's not like the others.......:lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2