20th Century President

Who was the best 20th Century President?

• William McKinley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theodore Roosevelt

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • William Taft

• Woodrow Wilson

• Warren Harding

• Calvin Coolidge

• Herbert Hoover

• Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Harry S. Truman

• Dwight Eisenhower

• John F. Kennedy

• Lyndon Johnson

• Richard Nixon

• Gerald Ford

• Jimmy Carter

• Ronald Reagan

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • George H. W. Bush

• Bill Clinton

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
So who was America's best President of 20th Century?

I think Ronald Reagan myself.

Could my other thread with same title be removed please, as I wanted to add poll, so here is the poll. Thanks.

Reagan was number one, economy soared under his administration and I fortunately started a business during those years. The liberals are pissed to this day and lie incessantly about him but facts are facts.

• Banned
Reagan was number one, economy soared under his administration and I fortunately started a business during those years. The liberals are pissed to this day and lie incessantly about him but facts are facts.

I also like Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Dwight Eisenhower and yes Richard Nixon. If you take Watergate out of equation, Nixon was actually good President.

I think John F. Kennedy did some good things also, and we can't give him overall rating due to him dying so soon.

Someone has now voted for Jimmy Carter, interesting.

I also like Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Dwight Eisenhower and yes Richard Nixon. If you take Watergate out of equation, Nixon was actually good President.

I think John F. Kennedy did some good things also, and we can't give him overall rating due to him dying so soon.

Someone has now voted for Jimmy Carter, interesting.
Kennedy could have done much more if he could have kept his pants on.

• Banned
There's no question about it. Reagan was the best, no contest.

Unless The Donald gets elected, I think Ronald Reagan will have been your last good President who put the people first, who made people feel safe. I think when Reagan was President, people must have known that no WWIII was going to happen and that no psychopaths were going to be let loose onto streets and imported into nation as "refugees"

I'm always fascinated by the image of Reagan? Having just finished a book on Carter and Reagan, I have to say Reagan was bad even as he raised taxes over and over again, and worked in a bipartisan manner to keep Social Security solvent.

Washington, Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Baines Johnson. Each accomplished policies that made America a stable place, not a perfect place for sure. Washington established the parameters of president and the importance of government, Lincoln recognized the dignity of all and fought for it, FDR fought both depression and a war and established a system of government that created our golden years, Johnson created healthcare and civil rights that allowed Lincoln's work to continue. President Obama, had he started earlier, when he had congress, could have done much more but the ACA is certainly a great accomplishment.

"It’s conservative lore that Reagan the icon cut taxes, while George H.W. Bush the renegade raised them. As Stockman recalls, "No one was authorized to talk about tax increases on Ronald Reagan’s watch, no matter what kind of tax, no matter how justified it was." Yet raising taxes is exactly what Reagan did. He did not always instigate those hikes or agree to them willingly–but he signed off on them. One year after his massive tax cut, Reagan agreed to a tax increase to reduce the deficit that restored fully one-third of the previous year’s reduction. (In a bizarre bit of self-deception, Reagan, who never came to terms with this episode of ideological apostasy, persuaded himself that the three-year, $100 billion tax hike–the largest since World War II–was actually "tax reform" that closed loopholes in his earlier cut and therefore didn’t count as raising taxes.)

Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84." Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) - Shadowproof

Worst Presidents Of All Time

Reagan and Taxes

Do you believe that Capitalism requires 5.5% unemployment?

"The predictable results can be summarized in poverty statistics. From 1960 to 1970, as the New Deal expanded into the Great Society, the number of Americans in poverty declined from 40 million to under 25 million. During the 1970s, after the rise of dog whistle politics but before its full hijacking by rightwing oligarchs, the numbers in poverty remained steady. During the 1980s, as Reagan and then George H.W. Bush reigned, those in poverty soared to 35 million. At the end of Clinton's second term in 2000, those mired in poverty had fallen to just above 30 million. But following the Great Recession that marked the end George W. Bush's presidency, over 46 million Americans were in poverty." That's an additional 16 million good folks pushed into the material and emotional hardship of destitution in just one decade.

This book's subtitle suggests that race-baiting wrecks the middle class, as indeed it does. This is not, however, to claim that the purpose behind racial demagoguery is to destroy average Americans-it is not. The point, for politicians such as Wallace and Nixon, was to get elected and re-elected. Simultaneously, big money came to see dog whistling as a way to promote policies that favored society's sultans. These policies are, roughly, the same policies advocated by the malefactors of great wealth during the era of the robber baron: low taxes, a minimal or non-existent social safety net, and corporate control over the regulation of industry. These were, of course, policies that voters had repudiated during the New Deal as well as in the sweeping defeat of Barry Goldwater. Through their newly muscled think tanks and aided by Ronald Reagan, however, the modern plutocrats reintroduced these prescriptions to the American public as a response to the excesses of the civil rights era. Their aim was not to wreck the middle class, but to convince average Americans to support policies that transferred wealth and power to the already extremely wealthy and powerful. Like the nonwhites injured by dog whistle racism, the middle class was not a target-just collateral damage." p74,75 'Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class' by Ian Haney López

I'm always fascinated by the image of Reagan? Having just finished a book on Carter and Reagan, I have to say Reagan was bad even as he raised taxes over and over again, and worked in a bipartisan manner to keep Social Security solvent.

Washington, Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Baines Johnson. Each accomplished policies that made America a stable place, not a perfect place for sure. Washington established the parameters of president and the importance of government, Lincoln recognized the dignity of all and fought for it, FDR fought both depression and a war and established a system of government that created our golden years, Johnson created healthcare and civil rights that allowed Lincoln's work to continue. President Obama, had he started earlier, when he had congress, could have done much more but the ACA is certainly a great accomplishment.

"It’s conservative lore that Reagan the icon cut taxes, while George H.W. Bush the renegade raised them. As Stockman recalls, "No one was authorized to talk about tax increases on Ronald Reagan’s watch, no matter what kind of tax, no matter how justified it was." Yet raising taxes is exactly what Reagan did. He did not always instigate those hikes or agree to them willingly–but he signed off on them. One year after his massive tax cut, Reagan agreed to a tax increase to reduce the deficit that restored fully one-third of the previous year’s reduction. (In a bizarre bit of self-deception, Reagan, who never came to terms with this episode of ideological apostasy, persuaded himself that the three-year, $100 billion tax hike–the largest since World War II–was actually "tax reform" that closed loopholes in his earlier cut and therefore didn’t count as raising taxes.)

Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives–and probably cost Reagan’s successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection–Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84." Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots) - Shadowproof

Worst Presidents Of All Time

Reagan and Taxes

Do you believe that Capitalism requires 5.5% unemployment?

"The predictable results can be summarized in poverty statistics. From 1960 to 1970, as the New Deal expanded into the Great Society, the number of Americans in poverty declined from 40 million to under 25 million. During the 1970s, after the rise of dog whistle politics but before its full hijacking by rightwing oligarchs, the numbers in poverty remained steady. During the 1980s, as Reagan and then George H.W. Bush reigned, those in poverty soared to 35 million. At the end of Clinton's second term in 2000, those mired in poverty had fallen to just above 30 million. But following the Great Recession that marked the end George W. Bush's presidency, over 46 million Americans were in poverty." That's an additional 16 million good folks pushed into the material and emotional hardship of destitution in just one decade.

This book's subtitle suggests that race-baiting wrecks the middle class, as indeed it does. This is not, however, to claim that the purpose behind racial demagoguery is to destroy average Americans-it is not. The point, for politicians such as Wallace and Nixon, was to get elected and re-elected. Simultaneously, big money came to see dog whistling as a way to promote policies that favored society's sultans. These policies are, roughly, the same policies advocated by the malefactors of great wealth during the era of the robber baron: low taxes, a minimal or non-existent social safety net, and corporate control over the regulation of industry. These were, of course, policies that voters had repudiated during the New Deal as well as in the sweeping defeat of Barry Goldwater. Through their newly muscled think tanks and aided by Ronald Reagan, however, the modern plutocrats reintroduced these prescriptions to the American public as a response to the excesses of the civil rights era. Their aim was not to wreck the middle class, but to convince average Americans to support policies that transferred wealth and power to the already extremely wealthy and powerful. Like the nonwhites injured by dog whistle racism, the middle class was not a target-just collateral damage." p74,75 'Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class' by Ian Haney López
What a big steamy pile of horseshit. Reagan dropped the 90% marginal tax rate down to maybe 26, I don't remember. Closed loopholes and tax revenue increased. He did have to begrudgingly raise them slightly a number of times but it was still very low. So it's completely dishonest to say he raised rates while ignoring the context.

This is what I meant about liberals. They are full of shit, have nothing to offer but shit and try to smear their enemies with shit so they can come out smelling a little better than the other guy. The commie fucks will NEVER forgive him for defeating communism.

Most historians give Reagan high marks.

Rating the Presidents of the United States, 1789-2000: A Survey of Scholars in History, Political Science, and Law
The study, jointly sponsored by the Wall Street Journal and the Federalist Society, was released in Washington and published in a Wall Street Journal article by Northwestern law professors James Lindgren and Steven Calabresi. As in most prior studies, the three presidents ranked as "Great" are George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Franklin Roosevelt. In this survey, Ronald Reagan joins the group of "Near Great" presidents with Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, Andrew Jackson, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, James Polk, and Woodrow Wilson.

Forum List

Back